Yingluck To Give Speeches At U.N. Meetings; Possible U.K. Visit In The Pipeline

webfact

Nice to see the PM doing what PM's do, international statesmanship etc..................

Indeed, I just hate it reading all those sarcastic remarks about her conversational skills! She got a MPA from Kentucky States University, had to write a thesis,.do a research and defend this research, so her English skills must be excellent. Guess most posters here are just jealous of her intelligence!

She could use her visits to share ideas about lunch boxes on high speed trains.

Seems like nobody actually believes her English skills are excellent ... except you. The proof is in the pudding. Have you actually listened to her respond to questions in English?

Sarcasm blindness today JT?

Oops.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see the PM doing what PM's do, international statesmanship etc..................

Indeed, I just hate it reading all those sarcastic remarks about her conversational skills! She got a MPA from Kentucky States University, had to write a thesis,.do a research and defend this research, so her English skills must be excellent. Guess most posters here are just jealous of her intelligence!

Seems like nobody actually believes her English skills are excellent ... except you. The proof is in the pudding. Have you actually listened to her respond to questions in English?

• Like 1

Yingluck is also expected to head to the United States on September 23 for a five-day visit. She is due to deliver a speech on women's rights at the United Nations headquarters in New York

Is this a follow-up to her riveting answer to a question on women issues at the World Economic Forum in Davos?

Is this a follow-up to her riveting answer to a question on women issues at the World Economic Forum in Davos?

Saying so much without saying anything at all.

A scatter gun approach of tossing out a quick succession of random thoughts that ends up leaving the listener stupefied, not to say, utterly bored. Guess the one good thing for Yingluck is it does tend to put people off bothering with a follow-up question.

• Like 2

What did she say

Yingluck is also expected to head to the United States on September 23 for a five-day visit. She is due to deliver a speech on women's rights at the United Nations headquarters in New York

What the holy hell is she talking about? BULLSH****T????cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Edited by MaxLee

U.S..... U.K.... and now Myanmar.... September seems to be another month for her not to be in Thailand...

BANGKOK, Aug 22 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is scheduled to visit Myanmar next month to discuss the development of the Dawei deep-sea port project with the Myanmar president, Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said Wednesday.

Surapong said the premier will meet with President Thein Sein during her Sept 13-15 visit.

http://www.mcot.net/...age/403845.html

I can't disagree with that statement as you're absolutely right of course. I think you'll find that most PMs also spend a lot of time in parliament and answer questions in defence of their government and it's policies.

I've noticed that whenever her brother visits a foreign country she seems to go there for meetings shortly after.

What does he do there each time? Check the hotels for comfort so that she can stay at the best ones?

Maybe the Trip Advisor website has been blocked in Thailand.

mmmm... the PM leaving the country ? I remember what happened last time.

I suspect you may be thinking of what happened six years & several PMs ago ? wai.gif As the current-PM has left the country several times, and hardly anyone noticed ! rolleyes.gif

I can just imagine the scene at PM-Yingluck's office, "Hum, speech to give at the United Nations (who are not my father BTW), now What shall I wear to this meeting ? "

Edited by Ricardo

Thaksin and a certain legal team of his can add their version of lunch box presentation and how to utilise / enhance them to add another dimension to compliment them laugh.png

marshbags thumbsup.gif

On the other hand her knowledge / lack of re English could yet be another ploy ot avoid and defleck the notable ignorance she has on most issues an elected PM should be expected to possess and present to the international community.

Her brother, the Illegal fugitive PM is a master of evasion when it comes to avoiding awkward questions of course.

It,s a pity he doesn,t utilse the silent one he invented and keep his mouth shut perminantly

Unbelievable arrogance that was, even by his standards.

marshbags rolleyes.gif

Edited by marshbags

On the other hand her knowledge / lack of re English could yet be another ploy ot aviod and defleck the notable ignorance she has on most issues an elected PM should be expected to possess.

Her brother, the Illegal fugitive PM is a master of evasion when it comes to avoiding awkward questions.

It,s a pity he doesn,t utilse the silent one he invented and keep his mouth shut perminently

Unbelievable arrogance that was, even by his standards.

marshbags rolleyes.gif

Am I the only one to be amused by these attacks on Yingluck's use of the English language given the appalling spelling, grammar and syntax? Normally I wouldn't comment on these semi literate offerings but if one is going to slur the PM"s poor English skills think "mote and beam".It's not of course even her first language which it is of couse, one must assume, of her critics.

• Like 2

Am I the only one to be amused by these attacks on Yingluck's use of the English language given the appalling spelling, grammar and syntax? Normally I wouldn't comment on these semi literate offerings but if one is going to slur the PM"s poor English skills think "mote and beam".It's not of course even her first language which it is of couse, one must assume, of her critics.

It's not so much the bumbling around linguistically it's the things she says that are embarrassing. Her voyages into female rights were a calamity.

More howlers than the south American jungles.

It's not so much the bumbling around linguistically it's the things she says that are embarrassing. Her voyages into female rights were a calamity.

That I think is very fair comment.My point was however that if one is to attack her for not being able to express herself in English persuasively, a little self awareness might make those native born speakers who struggle with their own language hesitate.That's not grammar fascism: that's simply exposing hypocrisy.

That I think is very fair comment.My point was however that if one is to attack her for not being able to express herself in English persuasively, a little self awareness might make those native born speakers who struggle with their own language hesitate.That's not grammar fascism: that's simply exposing hypocrisy.

Thing is that she is supposed to have got a Master degree from a US University.

Her crappy bar girl English does not reflect in anyway the skills she should have acquired to achieve her degree.

Now, translators are available and no one would feel weird if she decided to speak in Thai and use translation service. Problem is that even in her own language, her babbling are nowhere near to be understood....

Thing is that she is supposed to have got a Master degree from a US University.

Her crappy bar girl English does not reflect in anyway the skills she should have acquired to achieve her degree.

Now, translators are available and no one would feel weird if she decided to speak in Thai and use translation service. Problem is that even in her own language, her babbling are nowhere near to be understood....

"crappy bar girl English" Don't be silly even if that's what you are used to.

And by the way "her babbling IS nowhere to be understood".Velly educate peeple indeed.

• Like 1

mmmm... the PM leaving the country ? I remember what happened last time.

I suspect you may be thinking of what happened six years & several PMs ago ? wai.gif As the current-PM has left the country several times, and hardly anyone noticed ! rolleyes.gif

I can just imagine the scene at PM-Yingluck's office, "Hum, speech to give at the United Nations (who are not my father BTW), now What shall I wear to this meeting ? "

That was exactly what I was thinking. With a speech at the UN, there is much more time to get things organised.

• Like 1

Your argument reminds me of watching the Queen's Jubilee concert earlier this year in the presence of my dear mother. A life long Cliff Richard fan, as she is, she was thrilled to see him take to the stage. He absolutely murdered a couple of ditties, including, needless to say "Congratulations". After my ears had been well and truly assaulted, a made the mistake of saying how awful it was, to which i was quickly put down with "well could you do any better?", and then followed up with a number of excuses, such as "do you know how old he is". I knew better than to take my mother on over Cliff, there would only be one loser there, but in my mind, i couldn't help but think, "well no, i couldn't do any better, but then again, i'm not the one who has made an entire career out of being on stage and singing, the one who has made a fortune from it".

Yingluck is the one who accepted the job of leading the country, not any of us, Yingluck is the one who is taking all the benefits that come with the job, such as the money we as tax payers are paying her. It's not therefore about could any of us do any better. It's about is she doing a good job. And if we are talking about her communication skills with the public, which i believe is the topic of this thread, does anyone seriously think she is? I don't think anyone does. Now by all means argue that you feel this is a part of her job that isn't that important, but please don't argue that unless you could do better, or unless you can post on Thaivisa without making any spelling, grammar or syntax mistakes, then you have no place to criticise. That's a nonsense argument.

• Like 2

Your argument reminds me of watching the Queen's Jubilee concert earlier this year in the presence of my dear mother. A life long Cliff Richard fan, as she is, she was thrilled to see him take to the stage. He absolutely murdered a couple of ditties, including, needless to say "Congratulations". After my ears had been well and truly assaulted, a made the mistake of saying how awful it was, to which i was quickly put down with "well could you do any better?", and then followed up with a number of excuses, such as "do you know how old he is". I knew better than to take my mother on over Cliff, there would only be one loser there, but in my mind, i couldn't help but think, "well no, i couldn't do any better, but then again, i'm not the one who has made an entire career out of being on stage and singing, the one who has made a fortune from it".

Yingluck is the one who accepted the job of leading the country, not any of us, Yingluck is the one who is taking all the benefits that come with the job, such as the money we as tax payers are paying her. It's not therefore about could any of us do any better. It's about is she doing a good job. And if we are talking about her communication skills with the public, which i believe is the topic of this thread, does anyone seriously think she is? I don't think anyone does. Now by all means argue that you feel this is a part of her job that isn't that important, but please don't argue that unless you could do better, or unless you can post on Thaivisa without making any spelling, grammar or syntax mistakes, then you have no place to criticise. That's a nonsense argument.

I don't understand your long Cliff Richard anecdote.

There are plenty of areas where one can criticise the PM.However if one's own English language skills are rubbish,probably best focus on other areas like her inexperience.Not a very complex point to grasp.

• Like 1

There are plenty of areas where one can criticise the PM.However if one's own English language skills are rubbish,probably best focus on other areas like her inexperience.Not a very complex point to grasp.

For someone who in another topic described Thai protesters in the USA as "velly educate peeple" you seem to be somewhat inconsistent in your comments, dear jayboy.

Anyway, in UN sessions it is quiet normal for speakers to use their own language and simultaneous translation. I see no reason why PM Yingluck shouldn't do the same. It would allow her to express herself in her native language, although the translation would of course still depend on "velly educate peeple" wink.png

Surprised. Didn't think it was difficult to grasp. My mother told me that unless i can sing better than Cliff, i have no right to criticise him. My job is not singing. I am not being paid to sing. He is. Whether i could do any better is a complete irrelevance.

See the above. If you are still struggling with that analogy, here's another:

A plumber comes to fix your pipes and he makes a complete mess of the repairs, and then when you share your feelings about how terrible the plumber was to a friend, your friend turns around and says, "well hold on a sec, do you really think you are in any place to criticise his plumbing skills, as yours are terrible too?".

Still struggling? I give up.

P.S. whilst you are on the subject of other people's spelling, grammar and syntax, just out of interest, can you explain why you are incapable of putting spaces between your sentences?

Surprised. Didn't think it was difficult to grasp. My mother told me that unless i can sing better than Cliff, i have no right to criticise him. My job is not singing. I am not being paid to sing. He is. Whether i could do any better is a complete irrelevance.

See the above. If you are still struggling with that analogy, here's another:

A plumber comes to fix your pipes and he makes a complete mess of the repairs, and then when you share your feelings about how terrible the plumber was to a friend, your friend turns around and says, "well hold on a sec, do you really think you are in any place to criticise his plumbing skills, as yours are terrible too?".

Still struggling? I give up.

P.S. whilst you are on the subject of other people's spelling, grammar and syntax, just out of interest, can you explain why you are incapable of putting spaces between your sentences?

Sorry didn't understand your plumbing anecdote either.