My Biggest Mistake In Thailand.......

theblether

Listening to the advice of a Thai Lawyer who stated catergoricaly that I could buy a house in my own name!

I thought you could buy the house but not the land.

No farang can not buy HOUSE or LAND.

Only condo that is 51% Thai owned.

Said with real conviction too. :rolleyes:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not doing enough research before buying a house in Bangkok.

a: i didn't know I couldn't get a mortgage for a house so bought a more expensive house than I should have. (So ended up using all my savings and borrowing against my flat in the UK.) Fortunately I'm not retired, so had the income to cover things...

b: Not choosing the kids school first, then buying a house near it. I dread to think how much time I've spent driving to/from the school because of that one.

Edited by bkk_mike

I once gave a Songtew driver 40bht for a 20bht ride (when I was visiting CM).

No wait, that wasn't my biggest mistake ........

My biggest mistake was ordering a plate of deep fried chicken sinew, when I thought I was ordering deep fried chicken breast. (strangely enough also when I was visiting CM)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Listening to the advice of a Thai Lawyer who stated catergoricaly that I could buy a house in my own name!

I am farang and I own a condo 100%!!!

Buy a New House--New Car--Big Bar ALL in her Name thinking She will take care of you when your Old and sick~~~

Classic Thai story

I don't know why people do this in Thailand, it's just too risky. You wouldn't do that with a girlfriend/wife back in your own country so why do it in Thailand??

Buy a New House--New Car--Big Bar ALL in her Name thinking She will take care of you when your Old and sick~~~

Classic Thai story

I don't know why people do this in Thailand, it's just too risky. You wouldn't do that with a girlfriend/wife back in your own country so why do it in Thailand??

Its the spells...the country has a mystical way about it.

TAT's next tourist spin 'Mystical Thailand'

This is a partial quote from a web page that is supposed to be from a Thailand legal firm:

"Foreign nationals (aliens) may own any building (as distinct from its land) and may register such transfer of ownership into their names at the local district office."

Yes! on a 30 year lease,which is not the same as ownership,Or in your Company name,which is still not the same as your ownership.And you are correct you can't buy the land.

Not correct but they have you thinking that

Go to BOI several programs where you can buy. Some developers only build for expat buyers

1 way is transfer over 30m baht. can buy up to 2 rai land and home

Welcome to Thailand Mr. Rothschild!!

Foreigners can own a house.

Classic Thai story

You don't need to do that in your home country, she can find a judge to do it for you.

Never move a woman into your home, because soon it will be her home, and shortly after you will be homeless.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

One mistake I made was to leave the house with my fly undone... a bigger mistake was not wearing any boxers that day.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Did you used to work in Hat Yai, and did you come to that realisation in the lift at Central Hotel, by any chance?

Believing that everything in Thailand is better. After a few years you quickly learn it is not. If you are lucky you did not tie up your retirement in a woman and your new extended family so you have no return means out.

Do not get me wrong. Its not all bad but it is clearly not better. What seems like paradise is merely sun overexposure......

Believing that everything in Thailand is better. After a few years you quickly learn it is not. If you are lucky you did not tie up your retirement in a woman and your new extended family so you have no return means out.

Do not get me wrong. Its not all bad but it is clearly not better. What seems like paradise is merely sun overexposure......

lol.

Agree

Sorry to interupt the thread but can someone tell me how to start a new topic. They've made this site so complicated now. I can't, for the life of me, find a window START NEW TOPIC. Where have they hidden it for Pete's sake.

2 lol's in a row...crikey

Sorry to interupt the thread but can someone tell me how to start a new topic. They've made this site so complicated now. I can't, for the life of me, find a window START NEW TOPIC. Where have they hidden it for Pete's sake.

2 lol's in a row...crikey

Go to the main forum, like click on the 'General Topics' link at top and you should see start new thread thingy.

• 7 months later...

Same for me too.