Where To Buy Old Computers?

otissp

Hi, I need to buy an old computer... doesnt look like there is an ebay thailand, or at least, ebay.co.th doesnt go anywhere and when I google ebay thailand, basically it just wants me to connect to ebay in another country.

I know there are electronics classifieds here on thai visa, I posted an ad already and searched what was available. However the pickings are really sparse.

Does anyone have advice on how to go about buying an old computer (old mac computer)? Are there physical shops I can go into to buy old (ie, 15 years or so old) computers? Other websites such as ebay-like sites that would be recommended?

Panthip by any chance? Or do they not have ancient stuff?

Thanks for any tips.

If you are interested in offering me an old computer please check the classifieds for my ad there as that would be the appropriate place for that. In this forum I am just asking about where/how to do this, if there are stores that sell them, etc.

oh, wow 1998...

LOL

and I thought OP was looking for Pentium 4.

@OP: wouldn't you be better served by an emulation running on recent hardware?

I need to transfer data from SCSI devices using mac OS software that dates to about 1998. So I need a mac with a SCSI port, plus another port like USB that i can use to transfer the data to a modern disk.

I got a scsi card for my PC but I cant read the data, only a mac-specific backup software package can read it. So I think the best solution is to get a mac from around 1998 that has both scsi and USB.

oh, wow 1998...

LOL

I need to transfer data from SCSI devices using mac OS software that dates to about 1998. So I need a mac with a SCSI port, plus another port like USB that i can use to transfer the data to a modern disk.

I got a scsi card for my PC but I cant read the data, only a mac-specific backup software package can read it. So I think the best solution is to get a mac from around 1998 that has both scsi and USB.

I understand.

Good luck!

oh, wow 1998...

LOL

You might try:

http://toastytech.com/guis/gsos.html

And here's an interesting link that may help using a Linux machine with a scsi card:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/mounting-hfs-volumes-under-linux-521189/

reading in just the binary data could be an option but that would involve another kettle of fish, ie finding software capable of doing that, etc. the data is encrypted as well.

i think the easiest way to do this would be to just get an old mac of the kind originally used to make the archives, then i will also have the software to read it in and also decrypt it, etc., and know that i have the right drivers, etc.

if i cant find a used mac here in thailand i suppose i could just buy one when I am in another country like japan or the US and bring it back here. i have seen lots of old used macs in the electronics district of tokyo (akihabara). just have to cross my fingers that it isnt broken in transit.

i have thought about ordering something over ebay for shipment to thailand but i am worried that it will break in transit.

oh, wow 1998...

LOL

all you need is mediafour macdrive and you'll see your drive mounted right away in your windows.

Ummm... I think there are some old apples banging about in the old old old apple shops...

best places to look would be the Uficon in Pantip, and there were a couple places in Fortune that have been around donkeys... there was also a place that was selling second hand machines - only a few - i saw some coloured ibooks, which were a bit after that...

I don't remember having SCSI and having USB, i thought it was one or the other, especially as not long after firewire was launched.

I think mac drive should work in most scenarios, but with DAT backups thats going to be hard as nails to sort out.

for 1998 you are looking at the original line of iMacs... or the last of the performas

I had for my ppc iMac of 2001 a USB - SCSI adapter... it didn't work very well, but it worked. Perhaps you could get away with using a ppc based mac mini / iMac / ibook etc. and the classic environment.

if you are in bangkok, i'd head to fortune town and find the little apple shop on the 5th floor thats near amorn, and ask if CK the owner is around and could suggest a way to help you...

is the manufacturer of the DAT still around? did they make an OS X version?

good luck...