Govt Building Standards In Phuket Are There Any And Are They Followed Or Policed

petercallen

OK re bar has run its race

What about building walls out of hollow breeze blocks and only putting cement between the top and bottoms not at the ends of the blocks

I have seen one house here made of bricks built by a builder very rough cement work but at least it had cement all around the bricks

Pouring a concrete house pad on loose soil that has not been compacted

Making so called concrete pools out of breeze/cinder blocks which is happening but not with all builders, i certainly would not want a pool built with them

What about building walls out of hollow breeze blocks and only putting cement between the top and bottoms not at the ends of the blocks

I have seen one house here made of bricks built by a builder very rough cement work but at least it had cement all around the bricks

Making so called concrete pools out of breeze/cinder blocks which is happening but not with all builders, i certainly would not want a pool built with them

Are you sure they are not just using the blocks as formwork as I quite often do that for the outside of the pool wall but use plywood for the inside.

You are right that land compaction is important especially since many projects are being built on filled land some of which used to be watershed areas (this alone could generate a whole new discussion). Apart from compacting I like to put plastic sheeting down before pouring concrete & always vibrate. Another thing is using the correct strength concrete which needs a waterproofing agent if building a pool. Years ago CPAC used to recommend using marine grade concrete if the pool was sited within x metres from the beach.

Are you sure they are not just using the blocks as formwork as I quite often do that for the outside of the pool wall but use plywood for the inside.

You are right that land compaction is important especially since many projects are being built on filled land some of which used to be watershed areas (this alone could generate a whole new discussion). Apart from compacting I like to put plastic sheeting down before pouring concrete & always vibrate. Another thing is using the correct strength concrete which needs a waterproofing agent if building a pool. Years ago CPAC used to recommend using marine grade concrete if the pool was sited within x metres from the beach.

Wouldn't you need marine grade concrete if its a salt water pool no matter where it was situated

The pools next to us are are make of breeze blocks both the inside and outside walls

Another pool in the village built by a different builder is all reinforce concrete

Edited by petercallen

I think you will find that with concrete pools they are using blocks on the outside as formwork, the then do the rebar, formwork the inside and pour and vibrate the concrete

Edited by Big Guy

Wouldn't you need marine grade concrete if its a salt water pool no matter where it was situated

The pools next to us are are make of breeze blocks both the inside and outside walls

Another pool in the village built by a different builder is all reinforce concrete

A saltwater pool has only 10% salt level compared to the ocean & if built properly the pool structure is protected from the pool water by tiles, grouting, waterproof membrane & waterproof concrete. It is the salty groundwater which can present problems to the exterior of the structure when near the beach.