Getting Rid Of Unwelcome Dogs

petercouz

Yes, religion plays a part here but many animal species fall outside of the common practice of that ... garden snails, cockroaches, mosquitos, rats, mice and others. That there are government bodies that will help eradicate many pests proves that modern Thai society can deal with any misgivings when health and welfare of the populace is at stake and feral dog-catching is one part of that. We must assume they are then humanely put down by pre-dominantly Buddhist officials. "Destroyed" is not a word I would use in that context.

• Like 1

Yes, religion plays a part here but many animal species fall outside of the common practice of that ... garden snails, cockroaches, mosquitos, rats, mice and others.

Not to mention what they kill for food - chickens, cattle, pigs, fish etc etc

Dog lovers are a strange breed - seemingly prejudiced toward most other animal species.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

You cannot move away from the dogs. Sure, you can move to a village, that has a policy of keeping them out, but outside the village, there are dogs.

The only real answer is to round them up. yeah, you can ask the man in Mabprachan, to take them, and he might even do that, but he has his limits also, but have you ever tried to catch a soi dog and put it in your car? Take the dog to the temple, now thats a good one!! Take your problem to someone elses living area. Feed the dogs along the highway? Thats even a better one! Many are being fed along the Mabprachan lake, hanging around the hiway, waiting for more food, and getting hit by cars. You cannot walk or especially jog at night around the lake, you will be attacked by these dogs. Anyone out here, walking at night, must carry a stick, I even carry a stick in the village at night. Even people collar some soi dogs, because they feel sorry for them, and dont want them to be taken away. But if you feel sorry for them, then take care of them! Give them medical treatment, medicines, good food, dont just dump your garbage by the side of the road, and pretend you are helping soi dogs. Feed the dogs on your OWN property, not where other people are going to be attacked by these dogs.

I can believe it as when I was getting yet another rear bumper fitted the other week i saw a car in the body shop which looked like someone had shot the wheel arches with a shot gun. Asked what happened. Told dog bite car and all the marks were teeth marks. Bad dog!

Go to a zoo or animal park and get some Tiger or Lion poo from one of the keepers. Spread this on your property, You won't see a dog or cat or any other animal near your property until the scent wears off. But if you have neighbours, with well cared for animals in their back yard, then maybe not a good idea. The poor animals will be shaking with fear with no where to escape to.

In Bangkok the council do come and collect them if you pester them enough. Some friends of ours got their soi cleared out a few months ago, and it's much better. We're in the pestering process now. I will report any progress next week.

Edited by Rimmer

i had neighbors dogs digging under fence regularly. one of them killed a kitten over here. i went on a hunt next time with a large stone and stick. they have not been back since.

sometimes being nice is not the solution for dogs. they can sense weakness and also seem to sense when you truly want to injure or kill them.

Strangely enough, not many people know that Jack Russell's are among the worst man eaters. What happens is that a couple bring home a new born infant and Jack gets kicked out to the back yard. The dog sees the child as an interloper that's taken his place and, if given the chance, will attack. It's called terrier jealousy. It pays to know your breeds.

Any breed of dog could do this if it feels its place in the family is threatened. A Labrador killed a 9 day old infant in Bangkok only a few weeks ago. It happens between children as well where older sibling murders younger. Children and dogs can mix well but ALWAYS with proper supervision.

You cannot move away from the dogs. Sure, you can move to a village, that has a policy of keeping them out, but outside the village, there are dogs.

The only real answer is to round them up. yeah, you can ask the man in Mabprachan, to take them, and he might even do that, but he has his limits also, but have you ever tried to catch a soi dog and put it in your car? Take the dog to the temple, now thats a good one!! Take your problem to someone elses living area. Feed the dogs along the highway? Thats even a better one! Many are being fed along the Mabprachan lake, hanging around the hiway, waiting for more food, and getting hit by cars. You cannot walk or especially jog at night around the lake, you will be attacked by these dogs. Anyone out here, walking at night, must carry a stick, I even carry a stick in the village at night. Even people collar some soi dogs, because they feel sorry for them, and dont want them to be taken away. But if you feel sorry for them, then take care of them! Give them medical treatment, medicines, good food, dont just dump your garbage by the side of the road, and pretend you are helping soi dogs. Feed the dogs on your OWN property, not where other people are going to be attacked by these dogs.

Well said. In my opinion if you feed a dog you become its owner and are therefore responsible for it.

You mention going for a walk and how dangerous that can be. Try taking your own dog for a walk and see how you get on. Dogs come from everywhere to have a sniff or worse. There are so many stray or unleashed dogs in my area now that taking mine out for exercise has become impossible.

Well, they only kill dogs, if the dogs are protecting a house. They poison the dogs first, then break into the house, or in the country side, poison a dog before stealing the farm equipment.

Yeah, I have seen people walking with their dogs, and they have to carry a stick, to beat off the other dogs. Even on my own estate, I carry a stick at night. By day, the dogs are no problem, but once its dark, they are a different animal.

Edited by Rimmer
Inflammatory

Well, they only kill dogs, if the dogs are protecting a house. They poison the dogs first, then break into the house, or in the country side, poison a dog before stealing the farm equipment.

Yeah, I have seen people walking with their dogs, and they have to carry a stick, to beat off the other dogs. Even on my own estate, I carry a stick at night. By day, the dogs are no problem, but once its dark, they are a different animal.

Also poison a dog if they are annoying by barking to much