And Here Is The New Galaxy Note 2

I managed to get one on Sunday in Chiang Rai from the Samsung shop.

None of the other mobile shops had them yet. Some said "tomorrow".

True had them in their latest promotional material, but no phones in stock yet.

I'm coming from the Note 1, and love it. Occasionally I think the wider Note 1 screen was better, but that is very infrequent, and a minor issue.

Everything else is incredibly good. Screen, sits more comfortably in the hand, great battery life.

Only other problem is no stores have any covers yet. They had 2 cover I didn't like at the Samsung shop, but I want a thin cover to protect the screen if I put it face down on the table, and to make it not so slippery at the back.

One thing that might help some people. This phone seems to be a lot more sensitive to the CSC code than my Note 1, or Galaxy S.

I flashed the Omega ROM and my mobile data stopped working.

I flashed back a stock Thai ROM and still had the same problem.

The Omega ROM set the CSC to a UK one, and flashing the Thai one didn't change it back.

It took me ages to work out the problem and then I had to manually change it to THL, and mobile data worked again.

I had European CSCs on my previous 2 phones without any problems. I'm on True H if that makes any difference.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I passed by the Samsung shop at Central Plaza yesterday (in Khon Kaen) and they had the Galaxy Note II. A few people were hovering around it, so I couldn't get to handle it.

I knew the screen was being reduced in pixels from 1280x800 down to 1280x720 on the new model. But I assumed they were keeping the same form factor for the overall phone. So from what you say Riggi, the new phone is what? Narrower and longer (compared to the origiinal Galaxy Note)?

So from what you say Riggi, the new phone is what? Narrower and longer (compared to the origiinal Galaxy Note)?

Yes, narrower and longer.

It is a lot more comfortable to hold, although that may be because the back is more rounded too.

Even though it's a slightly bigger screen, it feels like a smaller phone when I'm using it.

I'm not sure if it's because of the difference in physical size, or screen resolution.

It's easier to put in, and take out my pocket too (jeans, or trousers)

I like the new size a lot better. It doesn't feel so "cumbersome" if that makes sense...

I managed to get one on Sunday in Chiang Rai from the Samsung shop.

None of the other mobile shops had them yet. Some said "tomorrow".

True had them in their latest promotional material, but no phones in stock yet.

I'm coming from the Note 1, and love it. Occasionally I think the wider Note 1 screen was better, but that is very infrequent, and a minor issue.

Everything else is incredibly good. Screen, sits more comfortably in the hand, great battery life.

Only other problem is no stores have any covers yet. They had 2 cover I didn't like at the Samsung shop, but I want a thin cover to protect the screen if I put it face down on the table, and to make it not so slippery at the back.

One thing that might help some people. This phone seems to be a lot more sensitive to the CSC code than my Note 1, or Galaxy S.

I flashed the Omega ROM and my mobile data stopped working.

I flashed back a stock Thai ROM and still had the same problem.

The Omega ROM set the CSC to a UK one, and flashing the Thai one didn't change it back.

It took me ages to work out the problem and then I had to manually change it to THL, and mobile data worked again.

I had European CSCs on my previous 2 phones without any problems. I'm on True H if that makes any difference.

Riggi

I have the S3 and it seems to have the same sensitivity issue. I flashed mine to an official Polish Jelly Bean ROM and now my mobile data has stopped working.

Can you tell how one changes the CSC code?

Thanks

Friend of mine would be interested, to get it before the back flight to his country.

So the question is, if it is anywhere cheaper as 22900, like it cost in Powerbuy or Big C or so.

But credit card acceptance without extra charge needed. Plus Vat refund option, of course!

Can be in Phuket or Bangkok

I would prefer, that he can buy it on Phuket.

That would give me a chance, to play a bit longer around with it, as I could do in the shops.whistling.gif

Anyone?

Thanks

Edited by noob7

Riggi

I have the S3 and it seems to have the same sensitivity issue. I flashed mine to an official Polish Jelly Bean ROM and now my mobile data has stopped working.

Can you tell how one changes the CSC code?

Thanks

Download this app

https://play.google....akk.cscselector

If your ROM has multiple CSCs you can select the one you want.

Warning - this will wipe all of your data and do a factory reset, so make sure you back up everything first!

If you can't select the THL (the Thai CSC), then you can flash the CSC separately, but it may be easier to just find a ROM that is multi CSC and use that.

Edited by Riggi

I have the Note1 and I love it. I am not willing to pay almost 23K bath for the Note2 so I keep using the Note1 until it dies and then most likely go for the Note2 or perhaps Note3 who knows.

All you guys who upgraded, what did you do with your old units? Selling a used smart phone is bad business for the owner.

How good is this if you have a note 2 or thinking about buying one.

http://www.technobuf...into-a-desktop/

computer and hdmi output. good work samsung

The problem I see is that your phone is in portrait orientation. So, if you use a 16:9 monitor, you have a lot of wasted space.

Most people would want to use an external monitor with their phone in landscape mode.

If you lie the dock on it's side, 1 USB port becomes unusable.

I guess you could install an app, like Rotate, to lock your screen to landscape mode, but it would be good if they baked that functionality into the docking mode of the device.

I notice the mains power charger is a larger 2A output vs regular Samsung phone 0.7AMP chargers? Anyone found problems using it with a regular car power adapter or does one need to buy a special car adapter?

With the power charger, it's done in ~1.5 hours. With a USB-Port or others: 6+h

That should be the only difference, as a blog pointed this out.

The problem I see is that your phone is in portrait orientation. So, if you use a 16:9 monitor, you have a lot of wasted space.

Most people would want to use an external monitor with their phone in landscape mode.

I guess you could install an app, like Rotate, to lock your screen to landscape mode, but it would be good if they baked that functionality into the docking mode of the device.

I doubt, that the display /position of the phone will be relevant!

There will be a app for using(seeing) the bay in connection with a mouse and a 'monitor'. You will hardly have to use the display.

Because you can use the Galaxy note 2 as a telephone, during the bay uses the note 2 as the computer for the monitor.

"The device outputs high-definition 1080p video to your TV or monitor, and uses only a microUSB cable for power. And while your Galaxy Note II is docked inside it, you can still use it as normal — you’ll even be able to make and receive phone calls."

Edited by noob7

I notice the mains power charger is a larger 2A output vs regular Samsung phone 0.7AMP chargers? Anyone found problems using it with a regular car power adapter or does one need to buy a special car adapter?

Get a 2.1a charger. I have a dual charger in the car. But, get a good one, not the cheap Chinese crap. Griffin or Bilkin works great.

There will be a app for using(seeing) the bay in connection with a mouse and a 'monitor'. You will hardly have to use the display.

Because you can use the Galaxy note 2 as a telephone, during the bay uses the note 2 as the computer for the monitor.

"The device outputs high-definition 1080p video to your TV or monitor, and uses only a microUSB cable for power. And while your Galaxy Note II is docked inside it, you can still use it as normal — you’ll even be able to make and receive phone calls."

Hmm... I expect it will work the same as the MHL output on the S3 and Note 1.

What you see on your phone screen is what you see on the monitor.

It is not a dual monitor setup, but just replicating your phone screen on the external monitor.

I have the MHL adaptor for the Note 1 and if you rotate the phone, the image on the external monitor rotates.

Unfortunately, the MHL adaptor for the Note 1 doesn't work for the Note 2 :( so I can't confirm if it's the same, but I expect it would be.

Hmm... I expect it will work the same as the MHL output on the S3 and Note 1.

What you see on your phone screen is what you see on the monitor.

It is not a dual monitor setup, but just replicating your phone screen on the external monitor.

I have the MHL adaptor for the Note 1 and if you rotate the phone, the image on the external monitor rotates.

Unfortunately, the MHL adaptor for the Note 1 doesn't work for the Note 2 sad.png so I can't confirm if it's the same, but I expect it would be.

But you understand, that there is a difference from a docking station, with HDMI port plus usb ports for a keyboard and a mouse.

To your MHL adaptor , right?

It would simple make no sense, to tell people a full HDMI in 1080 is available, but they would need to turn the dock to the side, on to the usb plugs.

It's still a guess, but logic says to me: Plug in a monitor/TV, a keybord and a mouse, and you will have a computermonitor in 16:9 plus the phone display in 9:16. And logic also says, Samsung isn't stupid!

The tests will find the way to you tube, sooner or later.

Edited by noob7

I hope you're right, which would make it worth the $99.

But, I expect it is just a USB OTG cable, USB hub and MHL adaptor bundled into a convenient unit.

The stand alone MHL adaptor outputs 1080p. It just displays it in the orientation that you hold your phone at.

The "dock" mode of the Note 2 when you connect it to this dock, which I have, is just a different home screen with a calendar and customisable onscreen icon dock.

If I lie it on the side, the screen rotates, which is useful if you want to watch a video and charge it at the same time and listen through external speakers (it still sits at a good viewing angle).

I had my Note 2 for just over a week then sold it to one of my clients, it really is a fantastic piece of kit but isn't really practical for every day use due to its size. Now have an S3 which is ideal although I'm sure I'll think bigger is better when the S4 is released!

Edited by inapeartree

Anyone know how to get Dropbox to ONLY upload photos and not videos with Note 2 Android version? Every time I copy a new large video to the device it uploads it to Dropbox as well which I don't need. The Dropbox web site mentions filtering file size to block large uploads but not for Jellybean and I cannot see an option on Note2 without turning off photo uploads altogether or turning off the wifi??

It has been confirmed that the Smart Dock just mirrors the phone on the external display.

So, it is essentially a regular dock with some extra ports bundled in.

You will need to use an app to force your screen into landscape, or lie the phone on its side and block one of the USB ports.

It's still a nice bit of kit, but the lack of "smarts" in it makes the $99 a little harder to justify.

It has been confirmed that the Smart Dock just mirrors the phone on the external display.

You will need to use an app to force your screen into landscape, or lie the phone on its side and block one of the USB ports.

It's still a nice bit of kit, but the lack of "smarts" in it makes the $99 a little harder to justify.

Wait a sec!

Works the 'auto-rotation off' setting both ways, so that I can force the Note 2, to stay in 16:9 mode?

Anyone of the Note 2 owners?

The 'smart dock' price in online shops in Europe is down to about 55 Euros/70US$.

Edited by noob7

Wait a sec!

Works the 'auto-rotation off' setting both ways, so that I can force the Note 2, to stay in 16:9 mode?

Anyone of the Note 2 owners?

I think you meant to type "does" the setting allow you to force landscape mode.

No. If you disable auto rotation it locks to portrait mode.

Also, the Touchwiz home screens are always portrait even with auto rotation enabled.

You need to either use a different launcher to have landscape home screens and lock the phone in landscape, or use a separate app to lock your screen to landscape.

It's workable, but just not well thought out or implemented on Samsung's part.

Fairly liberal use of the word "smart" in their naming of the device :)

After a month feel satisfied its working well and quiet useful specially calendar which I use a lot for my work spen is giving more options and freedom while working with some applications

Also decompiled and edit some system files to add more applications in multi-window list