British Motorcyclist Shot Dead While Riding Home In Thailand

Buchholz

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-JB7-

Same -Unkomoncents- states, their are just more and more people coming to TH and staying here Longtime special the North East of Thailand=Isaan.

When -JB7- writes, "that did not happen in the old days", I must say, their had been a lot less Falangs and Expats around here!

Special in the country side, more people, more possibilities, more money, houses, businesses, land deals, broken dreams and hearts, greed ect. more relationships and more conflict!

Just from the numbers involved.

I am surprised every time I go shopping in Isaan, since 15 years, how much more Expats and Falangs I see and meet in the Lotus, Big C Complexes and now also in the everywhere envolving small Lotus outlets in the Amphoes-

I have deleted more off-topic posts. From this point forward, further inappropriate posts may be deleted without notice, except in the form of a formal warning, ie a personal message, where such warning is deemed necessary.

Lets hope that answers are found and answers that seem reliable are made public. I say that, not because I have a morbid interest in murders and not because I am a busy-body, but because without some explanation I suspect all us falangs are feeling just that little bit less secure living here in Thailand today.

RIP fellow football-lover

<snip> I hope the police are able to get to the bottom of this and the guilty party (or parties) get what they deserve. It is a tragedy that hits close to home. I sure hope nothing similar happens to me when I retire in Isaan. I typically feel quite safe there. May his family learn the truth and receive the justice they deserve. RIP

Edited by Maestro
Deleted useless speculation.

Indeed sad that anyone's life should end in such tragic fashion. I made the move away from Thailand some years ago as I personally felt that a lot of the charm had withered away and that us farangs (the word being spoken like slime falling off a tongue) were too often tarred with the degenerate brush.

What saddens me more is moderators having to censor too many sarcastic, disparaging and nasty comments over this man's passing. A spoonfull of sugar will get you much further than a pound of salt.

I hope my own family will never have to deal with similar news and if they do, there won't be childish individuals making light of it. Grow up.

It is so sad that a persons life ends this way. I truly hope you are at peace.

I have been here for 14years and must confess to thinking about going back to the UK. I am a clean living person, drinks very rarely, never have nor will indulge in illegal substances or activities. I try not to antagonise others and yet I feel I have to constantly look over my shoulder. I just don't feel safe, no reason just don't feel safe.

RIP Stephen.

I live here in Issan and less than an hour from Ban Phai I can tell you this is very uncharacteristic of this area. This is the type of news you would expect to hear from Bangkok, Pattaya, or Phuket, not rural Issan.

• Like 1

RIP Stephen, this story has gotten me thinking that maybe its time for me to say goodbye to Thailand. It was great 20 years ago but the last 5 have been bad....Lots of crimes against use Farlangs. I think there is becoming an even greater gap between the haves and the have nots....Even my brother in law who owned me 100,000 baht stiffed me.....While in the same breath he was showing the other brothers his new 2.4 million baht BMW...when my wife said something he threated her and our 8 year old daughter with physical violence....Hence I going to sell our house in Payoon Beach and give Thailand the kiss off...I don't mind getting ripped off so much as someone threating my family.....Like I told the brother....Paybacks a bitch...

Edited by robkey69
  • Like 1

I live here in Issan and less than an hour from Ban Phai I can tell you this is very uncharacteristic of this area. This is the type of news you would expect to hear fruom Bangkok, Pattaya, or Phuket, not rural Issan.

Banphai is not heaven. Tons of meth and a good dose of local Mafia. Big transit point out to East Isaan from the main highway

RIP Stephen, this story has gotten me thinking that maybe its time for me to say goodbye to Thailand. It was great 20 years ago but the last 5 have been bad....Lots of crimes against use Farlangs. I think there is becoming an even greater gap between the haves and the have nots....Even my brother in law who owned me 100,000 baht stiffed me.....While in the same breath he was showing the other brothers his new 2.4 million baht BMW...when my wife said something he threated her and our 8 year old daughter with physical violence....Hence I going to sell our house in Payoon Beach and give Thailand the kiss off...I don't mind getting ripped off so much as someone threating my family.....Like I told the brother....Paybacks a bitch...

TIT. Hopefully karma is quick & swift in this situation. Good luck

Cowardly attack, but not unusual.

It seems that Thais save face by hiding and acting as thugs...

Sad to see a productive member of the society being cut down in this manner.

condolences to the family...

I totally disagree.

Again this is pure speculation and more Thai bashing by branding them all as keeping behind the scenes and acting like thugs, which is pure nonsense.

We don`t know whether the guy was murdered by Thais, whether this killing was Thai instigated, what was the guy’s situation or the motive behind the murder?

Unfortunately these cases are rarely followed up or updated, so I suppose we will never know. Just another farang murder that will end up being thrown into the trashbin of statistics and forgotten within the next few days.

I have lived in Thailand with my family for almost 30 years and never experienced any problems with aggressive Thais or been a victim of crime. Possibly because I know how to avoid getting into disputes and not treading on any Thais turf, but of course, perhaps I’ve just been lucky as we always believe it`s going to happen to the other fellow and never us.

I do know that each year farangs are being murdered wholesale in Thailand, many such crimes are never reported and would certainly like to see some reports published by the Thai authorities as to exactly what is going on here and what they believe or they`re reports say are the main reasons behind these murders.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

It's amazing to read how many people are now considering leaving Thailand as a result of this one incident.

I think it's shocking, disgusting, utterly reprehensible and feel a profound sadness for this man and how he met his end. I sincerely hope justice is meted out in a swift and appropriate manner.

My knee-jerk reaction is not to leave this place. Nor has it made me feel any less safe in my local area.

I feel very safe where I live. I trust my wife. I speak, read and write fluent Thai to be able to understand what's going on around me and if a situation is potentially "going south" so to speak, I know to get out or walk away.

I sincerely believe a lack of understanding and communication skills leads to a lot of incidents like this. I am not saying that this is the case in this situation. Not at all. I am just trying to make a point.

Being aware of other people's intentions or what's being said by people who think you can't understand them is a very very very useful tool to have. This does not account for random acts of violence, but those are a global phenomena, not just restricted to Thailand. Nor does this appear to be a random act of violence.

I come from London, I lived there for 20 years and all I can say is that I'm so pleased I do not live there now. People are executed there too. Murders are on the rise as is violent crime involving guns and now RPGs and grenades in Manchester. We're extremely susceptible to terrorism, the weather is atrocious, it's prohibitively expensive and I definitely do not feel safe walking through central London at night and often during daylight hours. Nor would I feel safe letting my children play in the local park alone or travel home from school alone, not just for the fear of violence, but now peadophilia.

In Thailand the opposite is the case. I've never once felt threatened in 7-8 years. I've never once been party to a violent situation and I think I've witnessed a bust up once. I don't frequent bars very often. I don't get drunk in public ever. I used to be a very aggressive person in my youth with anger management issues and Thailand was the place that managed to put a curb on this and effectively heal this aspect of my personality.

I feel safer here than anywhere else I've been on this planet and I was in the travel industry for 15 years, visiting something like 45 countries worldwide.

One incident in Khon Kaen, should not an exodus make. However disgusting and shocking it is.

I've left my door unlocked here since I came here. It's still unlocked now. I could never do this in any other place I have lived.

(I am not a Thai or Thailand apologist. This is how I genuinely feel.)

It wont help you if you can read, write and speak thai fluently because you arent Thai.

The problem is that Thais know they can get away with murdering farangs without fear of prosecution.

So you are a sitting duck should you somehow become the target of any lowlife Thai for whatever reason.

That is what is scary.

• Like 1

It's amazing to read how many people are now considering leaving Thailand as a result of this one incident.

I think it's shocking, disgusting, utterly reprehensible and feel a profound sadness for this man and how he met his end. I sincerely hope justice is meted out in a swift and appropriate manner.

My knee-jerk reaction is not to leave this place. Nor has it made me feel any less safe in my local area.

I feel very safe where I live. I trust my wife. I speak, read and write fluent Thai to be able to understand what's going on around me and if a situation is potentially "going south" so to speak, I know to get out or walk away.

I sincerely believe a lack of understanding and communication skills leads to a lot of incidents like this. I am not saying that this is the case in this situation. Not at all. I am just trying to make a point.

Being aware of other people's intentions or what's being said by people who think you can't understand them is a very very very useful tool to have. This does not account for random acts of violence, but those are a global phenomena, not just restricted to Thailand. Nor does this appear to be a random act of violence.

I come from London, I lived there for 20 years and all I can say is that I'm so pleased I do not live there now. People are executed there too. Murders are on the rise as is violent crime involving guns and now RPGs and grenades in Manchester. We're extremely susceptible to terrorism, the weather is atrocious, it's prohibitively expensive and I definitely do not feel safe walking through central London at night and often during daylight hours. Nor would I feel safe letting my children play in the local park alone or travel home from school alone, not just for the fear of violence, but now peadophilia.

In Thailand the opposite is the case. I've never once felt threatened in 7-8 years. I've never once been party to a violent situation and I think I've witnessed a bust up once. I don't frequent bars very often. I don't get drunk in public ever. I used to be a very aggressive person in my youth with anger management issues and Thailand was the place that managed to put a curb on this and effectively heal this aspect of my personality.

I feel safer here than anywhere else I've been on this planet and I was in the travel industry for 15 years, visiting something like 45 countries worldwide.

One incident in Khon Kaen, should not an exodus make. However disgusting and shocking it is.

I've left my door unlocked here since I came here. It's still unlocked now. I could never do this in any other place I have lived.

It wont help you if you can read, write and speak thai fluently because you arent Thai.

The problem is that Thais know they can get away with murdering farangs without fear of prosecution.

So you are a sitting duck should you somehow become the target of any lowlife Thai for whatever reason.

That is what is scary.

Utter nonsense Tolley,

Sadly this type of murder happens all over the world.

I am not saying its acceptable but lowlifes as you named them exist every where on every continent and doubt seriously Thais single out foreigners as easy targets to kill because they can get away with it. I will say in all my years living here I have witnessed many foreigners that bring on a lot of their own trauma by behaving inappropriately. I know nothing about why this gentleman was gunned down but it is the world we live in. Why this one incident has so many people in a uproar is odd. Who knows what happened behind closed doors. Its amazing how many skeletons people have in their closet.

• Like 2

That is what is scary.

You're the sitting duck if you feel like you are.

I know I am not.

I do not and have never associated with the types of people, especially those that I love and hold dear to me, that murder others.

Being fully fluent and conversant in a language of the country you live in can save your life. Not bothering to ever learn any of it can be dangerous.

I'm not saying for a second that this could have helped this man in this instance, but I believe people having a better cultural understanding and people able to be conversant can prevent incidents like this from happening.

If you feel scared or in danger, then you're right, move.

I have never and will never be made to feel like that from the Thais I know and love. I know this to be fact.

As JAFO said random acts of violence and opportunist crime happen everywhere in the world, especially prevalent in my London birthplace, but it would appear from the facts that this is not random.

In Krabi, I feel about as far away from random violence and opportunist crime as I ever have in my life. I feel incredibly safe and I do not take this safety for granted. Actually, I would say I feel the most secure I have ever felt in my life.

Also I'll tell you now, I've been in a situation where I thought someone had nefarious intentions once, when I walked into an eatery. I could just tell from their demeanour and behaviour. I got that feeling in the belly. I went over, said hello, used some local colloquialisms and had a chat about football and it all dissipated. It's that kind of thing I'm talking about.

That's not to say it could have helped Stephen.

I just believe people here should try to educate themselves more about the language so they can understand.

Being somewhere foreign and not being able to understand what everyone is saying around you all the time would make me feel very scared and like a sitting duck.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 1

This never, ever happened to foreigners on the old days. I am amazed that Thailand is at all attractive as a place to live to anyone.

My great uncle was shot four times in the back outside his house in Hua Hin in 1926. I suggest you may simply be seeing the combination of more farangs and better information and communications technology.

I would call my two friends for a "little help". Mr Smith and Mr. Wesson.

"My friends and I, do not let you leave, after such a statement!"

- Just saw -Clint Eastwood- on CNN.whistling.gif

• Like 1

That is what is scary.

Utter nonsense Tolley,

Sadly this type of murder happens all over the world.

I am not saying its acceptable but lowlifes as you named them exist every where on every continent and doubt seriously Thais single out foreigners as easy targets to kill because they can get away with it. I will say in all my years living here I have witnessed many foreigners that bring on a lot of their own trauma by behaving inappropriately. I know nothing about why this gentleman was gunned down but it is the world we live in. Why this one incident has so many people in a uproar is odd. Who knows what happened behind closed doors. Its amazing how many skeletons people have in their closet.

I am not in any uproar at all about this one incident. On the contrary it is the ongoing pattern of these sorts of crimes against farangs that worries me.

These sort of crimes are all too familiar in recent times and a lot of the time the perpetrators are never caught or if caught get bail or run away or serve a very short sentence.

Serve a short sentence? Like who are you talking about exactly?

It seems Thailand breeds sheep who just play follow the leader. One smarty pants says something like how easy it is to get away with murder in Thiland and

the rest jump on the band wagon.

Just last month the Thai Court sentenced 3 police officers to death for murder during the clamp down on drugs, while one it sentenced to life imprisonment, and one to 7 years in prison.

Michelle Smith's murderes were sentenced to life

2 Thais who attacked a pison Warden were just sentenced to death

Dale Henry's Thai wife and her boyfriend are serving life.

The list goes on and on.

Sure there are people who may have bought themselves out of trouble but the minute the paper work is done and a case hits the headlines then any murderer is going away for a very long time unless they execute him/her.

R.I.P is all we should be saying about this case apart from the fact you can bet your life the Thai police will be working their butts off to catch them.

The powers that be know how much stories like this can affect the tourist industry. and they will want results every bit as much as this poor guys family does.

• Like 1

It seems Thailand breeds sheep who just play follow the leader. One smarty pants says something like how easy it is to get away with murder in Thiland and

Just last month the Thai Court sentenced 3 police officers to death for murder during the clamp down on drugs, while one it sentenced to life imprisonment, and one to 7 years in prison.

The list goes on and on.

Sure there are people who may have bought themselves out of trouble but the minute the paper work is done and a case hits the headlines then any murderer is going away for a very long time unless they execute him/her.

R.I.P is all we should be saying about this case apart from the fact you can bet your life the Thai police will be working their butts off to catch them.

The powers that be know how much stories like this can affect the tourist industry. and they will want results every bit as much as this poor guys family does.

Yes some get caught and some get prosecuted and some serve time most usually when they are in the public spotlight but many and i say many more dont. I dont have time to trawl through all the unexplained deaths, murders, supposed suicides that are never solved but it is substantial.

The list goes on and on.

I wouldn't bet my life on anything here in Thailand,there are also many that have gone unpunished so i don't see your point or agree as you stated many can and do pay.

I have heard very little about this horrific murder in Khon Kaen and hopefully the powers that be are digging deeper in to why this happened.

The one thing that concerns me is to get results they need some family of the deceased here and pushing things to get done and chased up,it seems he didn't have any family come over and this is needed to keep it in the media circles to catch the spider and his intricate web.Friends can only do so much!...RIP steve.

• Like 1

The list goes on and on.

I wouldn't bet my life on anything here in Thailand,there are also many that have gone unpunished so i don't see your point or agree as you stated many can and do pay.

I have heard very little about this horrific murder in Khon Kaen and hopefully the powers that be are digging deeper in to why this happened.

The one thing that concerns me is to get results they need some family of the deceased here and pushing things to get done and chased up,it seems he didn't have any family come over and this is needed to keep it in the media circles to catch the spider and his intricate web.Friends can only do so much!...RIP steve.

Plenty of discussion among the farangs I know up here.