Quick Question Re: 30 Baht Medical

cdnmatt

I'm quite certain I'm being bullshitted, so just to confirm... 30 baht universal healthcare, right? Are there any exceptions? For example, if you get into a fight, or are driving a motorcycle drunk, does that exempt the 30 baht, and you're required to pay full price?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by cdnmatt

The 30Bht universal healthcare system applies to Thai citizens only so better to get insurance cause us farang pay full price.

I do know of one person, a cousin of a girl I once knew that liked to imbibe the Laew Kaew, he was warned to stop as he had liver problems. After many visits he was denied medical intervention and died. Age 26.

Rather similar to western hospitals in their methods actually.

Sorry, should have clarified. I'm talking on behalf of a Thai who is in the province he's registered in. I'm being told there's an outstanding medical bill, and am assuming I'm being bullshitted, so just wanted to confirm.

So for example, Thai gets into a bar fight, ends up in the hospital. Is it 30 baht, or is he paying full price? Are there any exceptions to that 30 baht rule, or do they treat every Thai no matter what (assuming they're registered in that province)?

Edited by cdnmatt

Sorry, should have clarified. I'm talking on behalf of a Thai who is in the province he's registered in. I'm being told there's an outstanding medical bill, and am assuming I'm being bullshitted, so just wanted to confirm.

So for example, Thai gets into a bar fight, ends up in the hospital. Is it 30 baht, or is he paying full price? Are there any exceptions to that 30 baht rule, or do they treat every Thai no matter what (assuming they're registered in that province)?

No one is turned away that needs a hospital bed, Thais go to the doctor more than any people I have ever seen. You get what you get, good doctors and bad doctors, but it;s free.

Take my kids to a private doctor, but she works in the public system during the day. I go to a private dentist and he works in the hospital during the day. If you pay you get a better service.

Extras cost more and just like in the west there is a waiting list ifyou can't pay up front. Jim

As Jim stated above, the 30Bt scheme is for all Thai's, as i understand it they must be treated in the hospital where they originally registered at, probably the closest one where they reside.

I think you are being bullshitted as NO hospital will let you walk out without paying, except if it is only 30 Bt.

I got in a motorbike accident and went to the clinic. my lady signed for me and I got the Thai price.

I don't recall the price, but it was under 100 baht. small rural clinic though, not big hospital.

Edited by jacktrip

A couple of days ago, here in Sa Kaeo I went to the clinic for an eye test for Glaucoma. They also tested me for blood sugar with a urine test. I did have to wait as there were more than 100 people there for the test.

Bottom line, I paid nothing and was even given a box lunch complete with a banana on the top plus a cold drink.

Last time I had these test at Bangkok Hospital in Chanthaburi and paid WAY more.

Thailand, for Thais has a free medical system, it may not be good, but you will get treatment. That includes dental and optical. Jim

Is it correct that Thais get dental and optical treatment for free?

My wife always pay for this kind of services.

Thailand, for Thais has a free medical system, it may not be good, but you will get treatment. That includes dental and optical. Jim

Is it correct that Thais get dental and optical treatment for free?

My wife always pay for this kind of services.

Many prefer to pay a modest fee so that they don't have to wait 8 hours. I am told it is a way of queue jumping.

As a foreigner, if you work here (with a work permit) and pay social security you get free medical. I've got a rare lung disease and I go to the Mission Hospital (a government hospital) in Phuket and get everything for free. I've never paid 30 Baht or anything.

The quality of the service is superb and my doctor is 100% fluent in English.

I believe the key for Thais and foreigners is being in the social security system. Furthermore, when I retire, my doctor told me that I can still pay into the system and still get the same free treatment.

Edited by Galong

The 30Bht universal healthcare system applies to Thai citizens only so better to get insurance cause us farang pay full price.

I do know of one person, a cousin of a girl I once knew that liked to imbibe the Laew Kaew, he was warned to stop as he had liver problems. After many visits he was denied medical intervention and died. Age 26.

Rather similar to western hospitals in their methods actually.

You are wrong about only Thai citizens being eligible. Anyone who works here legally should be paying into the social security scheme and will receive an insurance card, with a nominated hospital specified on the card. (The individual is able to specify which hospital he wants from a list of them). The insurance card is renewed annually, and you're allowed to change hospitals once a year, if i remember correctly. The treatment, while not five star, is perfectly adequate for most ailments or accidents, but I wouldn't like to recommend the system for something major such as a heart operation, or any major operation, for that matter.

• Like 1

As Jim stated above, the 30Bt scheme is for all Thai's, as i understand it they must be treated in the hospital where they originally registered at, probably the closest one where they reside.

I think you are being bullshitted as NO hospital will let you walk out without paying, except if it is only 30 Bt.

Again, you're wrong. I have walked out of 2 hospitals so far (Camillion in Thong Lor and Sikarin in Samut Prakarn) after being treated (once for an eye problem, the other for a broken bone) with the usual supermarket trolley full of medication, albeit generic, and on both occasions I never paid a single satang.

You are wrong about only Thai citizens being eligible. Anyone who works here legally should be paying into the social security scheme and will receive an insurance card, with a nominated hospital specified on the card. (The individual is able to specify which hospital he wants from a list of them). The insurance card is renewed annually, and you're allowed to change hospitals once a year, if i remember correctly. The treatment, while not five star, is perfectly adequate for most ailments or accidents, but I wouldn't like to recommend the system for something major such as a heart operation, or any major operation, for that matter.

So it would be good to supplement with additional health insurance? I haven't started working yet, but I'm thinking about buying a BUPA Platinum policy.

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect App

Vehicle accidents are not coveredd by the 30 baht scheme.,

Some non esssential medicine and treatment (though desirable ) is not included. Some essential treatment has longer waiting times. Private rooms are not covered.

The care given is excelent comprehensive and generally timely.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

So it would be good to supplement with additional health insurance? I haven't started working yet, but I'm thinking about buying a BUPA Platinum policy.

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes, I believe it would be very beneficial to supplement with another insurance.I do it myself.

Thanks. So I'm assuming bar fights aren't covered either? Alright, so that means I wasn't getting lied to.

I'm not even sure what happened, nor do I care. Couple days ago it was "wasp bites" on the head, and last night it changed into something else, but I didn't bother listening enough to find out what. So I'm guessing the dad was sitting around at home in the village, got piss drunk on lao khao, ended up fighting, and got a bottle cracked over his head. I'm assuming that's what the "wasp bites" are, and why it's not covered by the 30 baht scheme.

Bloody hell. Can't wait to get out of here, and onto the next journey in life.

I think bar fights would.....vehicle accidents aqre not covered as they are covered to some degree by the comulsory insurance scheme which covers all people including drivers involved in accidents with licenced vehicles. Note....it is not a third party scheme it is a rOAD uSER SCHEME.

Thanks. So I'm assuming bar fights aren't covered either? Alright, so that means I wasn't getting lied to.

I'm not even sure what happened, nor do I care. Couple days ago it was "wasp bites" on the head, and last night it changed into something else, but I didn't bother listening enough to find out what. So I'm guessing the dad was sitting around at home in the village, got piss drunk on lao khao, ended up fighting, and got a bottle cracked over his head. I'm assuming that's what the "wasp bites" are, and why it's not covered by the 30 baht scheme.

Bloody hell. Can't wait to get out of here, and onto the next journey in life.

No, bar fights are covered. The reason vehicle accidents are not is that there is sueparate, compulsory, 3rd party vehicle insurance whioch is supposed to cover it. However in cases where it does not (either the actual costs exceeded the cover, or the guilty party could not be located) the regular Thai system takes over,. Either way, the patient does not have to pay.

The only situation in which a Thai citizen has to pay is if certain very costly and highly specialized drugs and/or treatments are required, and even then they pay only that portion. Or of they choose to go to a private hospital.

You are indeed being conned.

• Like 1

Again, you're wrong. I have walked out of 2 hospitals so far (Camillion in Thong Lor and Sikarin in Samut Prakarn) after being treated (once for an eye problem, the other for a broken bone) with the usual supermarket trolley full of medication, albeit generic, and on both occasions I never paid a single satang.

I have a rare lung disease and I get name-brand meds from the Mission Hospital in Phuket... or at least they use the name-brand stickers on the containers. :-)

Some non esssential medicine and treatment (though desirable ) is not included. Some essential treatment has longer waiting times. Private rooms are not covered.

The care given is excelent comprehensive and generally timely.

I was run off the road and taken to or local very good hospital in Jamgwat C RAI

(They had my records as I had been to dentisit and out patients before)

My wife paid the bill around 200 baht which was for the medicine not tratment which include X rays scan etc stuff that in Santa Barabar is big money when I tooka friend to accident unit

While hardly state of theart local hospital is affordable without insurance

2 nights in patient with food in private room 1400 bahts about 5 years back.

I concur for major elective surgery in to Bangkok Hospitals insurance would be prudent.

Edited by RubbaJohnny