Did Clint Eastwood Lose The Plot At Romney's Convention?

webfact

A buddy of mine worked on the private Warner Brothers airplane and flew movie stars all over the world on a daily basis. He always said that Clint Eastwood was the most decent one and that his kids were really nice and not spoiled like other celebrity's kids. I never knew what his politics were until last week. It seems that Clint Eastwood really does wear a White Hat. thumbsup.gif

How you know his politics? He's never supported Republicans publically before , In fact All we know is he doesnt like President Obama. Seems thats all that binds the Republicans and their hangers on, Nothing to offer not "for" anything only "anti" views

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A buddy of mine worked on the private Warner Brothers airplane and flew movie stars all over the world on a daily basis. He always said that Clint Eastwood was the most decent one and that his kids were really nice and not spoiled like other celebrity's kids. I never knew what his politics were until last week. It seems that Clint Eastwood really does wear a White Hat. thumbsup.gif

I guess my years will be showing here. During the Cold War and Vietnam War era Clint was very much the Republican. The US invasion of Grenada, after the dust settled, came off as impressive as you-know-who dressed in full costume declaring 'mission accomplished' aboard an aircraft carrier. Yet, Clint made a movie that featured the invasion.

When the first Dirty Harry movie came out a prominent critic denounced him as a facist. I'm not sure if she meant the character or the actor (couldn't be bothered to read her review myself). Back in those days the GOP was big on banging the drum for 'law and order,' I recall rallies/conventions where they were chanting the phrase. (These days I can't help but being amused when I hear the flying monkeys of the right on Fox News saying that liberals want to turn the country into a police state.)

Probably the biggest surprise from him (other than the S&M movie) was The Unforgiven, where one of the characters is sickened by killing. Not only did he win, it was the first time I ever heard a sentence that contained both his name and mention of an Oscar. I guess the facist Dirty Harry redeemed himself in the eyes of the industry.

But speaking of Hollywood endorsements for the GOP, anyone else remember 1988 when all those action heroes came out for Bush1 ? Who can forget the image of Schwartznegger with his arm around his shoulders, making Bush look like a little kid?

I very long time ago, I worked with a lovely young lady from Carmel, California. We went to Carmel and I had the opportunity to meet Clint Eastwood--mind you this was an extremely brief meeting. He had a restaurant--The Hog's Breath, I think it was called.

She knew Clint relatively well and she had followed his career. He was also Mayor of Carmel for a time, I think.

Politically, he's hard to pin down. He's supported both Democrats and Republicans. So, yes, it's hard to say much about his politics, except that he is not very pleased with Obama.

There's an episode of a series called "The NewsRoom" in which they are trying to get a proper debate with the presidential candidates but the party refuses to expose them to it. I thought it was adequate fiction until they showed the real questions that were asked. Do the American people *really* judge a candidate based on their answer to a question like "Elvis or Johnny Cash"?

You might recall one of the characters on the show was miffed that someone claimed that God told them to run for president.

The woman who answered the important question you mentioned (in the actual footage) is the one who did.

There's an episode of a series called "The NewsRoom" in which they are trying to get a proper debate with the presidential candidates but the party refuses to expose them to it. I thought it was adequate fiction until they showed the real questions that were asked. Do the American people *really* judge a candidate based on their answer to a question like "Elvis or Johnny Cash"?

You might recall one of the characters on the show was miffed that someone claimed that God told them to run for president.

The woman who answered the important question you mentioned (in the actual footage) is the one who did.

But thankfully she never made it past the finish line. Awful woman!

Sarah Palin wants a piece of the Eastwood deranged old man action!

https://twitter.com/SarahPalinUSA/status/242777575661924352/photo/1

Ah, Palin. She’s such a card. I guess it’s too much to ask that she produce her own detailed plan to reduce the deficit, reform entitlements and create jobs for the millions of Americans who need work. There’s a lot to criticize President Obama for. But having a 140-character policy fight with the president of the United States is pathetic for someone who eschewed actual national leadership.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/sarah-palin-goes-eastwood-on-obama/2012/09/04/75e1924e-f643-11e1-8b93-c4f4ab1c8d13_blog.html

Clint is a very old guy that put on a lousy performance, but his heart is in the right place and the speeches by Condo Rice, Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney were excellent. thumbsup.gif

They fact that they wheel out a vacuous, ageing film star at a pre-election convention shows how shallow the whole thing has become.

The American people should demand the truth from their politicians, like how much tax has Romney paid, not how much Hollywood actors like him, which is beyond irrelevant to his ability and trustworthiness to serve as President.

Just how can John Doe "demand" honesty from a politician? I have no idea where to start.

I watched the video. Pretty lightweight in message. The real message was he's an American icon, and if you're American, you can't help but love the guy. He reminds me of my best friend here in Thailand, a farang about the same age with looks as handsome as Eastwood. My buddy also has conservative values which I take issue with. Incidentally, that friend was one of the first Americans that Shwarzenegger met when Arni first came to the US. Arnie spoke hardly any English then, and is is still having trouble with the language. New klee-ah en-ah-gee. Kali - fohneeah.

• Like 1

Clint speaks! He just gave an interview explaining what his speech was all about....

For five days after he thrilled or horrified the nation by talking to an empty chair representing Obama on the night Mitt Romney accepted the Republican nomination for president, Eastwood remained silent while pundits and critics debated whether his remarks, and the rambling way he made them, had helped or hurt Romney’s chances of winning in November.

But in a wide-ranging interview with The Pine Cone Tuesday from his home in Pebble Beach, he said he had conveyed the messages he wanted to convey, and that the spontaneous nature of his presentation was intentional, too.

I had three points I wanted to make,” Eastwood said. “That not everybody in Hollywood is on the left, that Obama has broken a lot of the promises he made when he took office, and that the people should feel free to get rid of any politician who’s not doing a good job. But I didn’t make up my mind exactly what I was going to say until I said it.

Edited by koheesti

I had three points I wanted to make,” Eastwood said. “That not everybody in Hollywood is on the left, that Obama has broken a lot of the promises he made when he took office, and that the people should feel free to get rid of any politician who’s not doing a good job. But I didn’t make up my mind exactly what I was going to say until I said it.

Clint made all three of those points quite well and got them a lot of attention. clap2.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm pretty much center-right, a switch-hitter voting for both Reagan and Clinton. However, I will say there aren't many in Hollywood that are far right, and particularly very few Funny people (Comedians). Besides Dennis Miller (who is a converted Democrat anyway), I can't think of one funny Republican. Dem comedians, on the other hand, are everywhere: Jon Stewart, Colbert, Bill Maher, Letterman, Leno, the list is endless. What is it about republicans that is not funny? smile.png

I'm pretty much center-right, a switch-hitter voting for both Reagan and Clinton. However, I will say there aren't many in Hollywood that are far right, and particularly very few Funny people (Comedians). Besides Dennis Miller (who is a converted Democrat anyway), I can't think of one funny Republican. Dem comedians, on the other hand, are everywhere: Jon Stewart, Colbert, Bill Maher, Letterman, Leno, the list is endless. What is it about republicans that is not funny? smile.png

Laughter is a great way to distract people from that fact that your ideas plain suck.

• Like 1

What is it about republicans that is not funny? smile.png

When they try it usually comes out more mean than funny. Andrew Brietbart thought he was funny but his jokes were sort of like "did you see that silly expression on his face as he was swinging from the gallows? Looked like he really needed a cigarette!" Ben Stein had the ability to be funny (note past tense), and back when he had the game show he'd occasionally pull out some political one-liners that hit it pretty well. And this guy worked for Nixon!

I think the big difference is sometimes jokes are made at the expense of the message, but (to all but the most dense) it is obviously irony. Eg, regarding the laws requiring women who want abortions to have some atrocious medical exam beforehand, someone like Bill Maher might quip something like "what's the problem with that, ladies? Don't tell me you've never before been humiliated while lying down naked with your legs open!" I think most of the GOP types take their talking points too seriously, and also since so much of that side are Bible thumpers they would have to check with their reverend first to see if it's ok to laugh. Imagine this coming from a comedian on the right:

"Well, we all know The Rapture is coming, I just hope He lets us know the day before so we can ground all air traffic, we don't want accidents on the way up!"

It looks like comedy has become a vehicle of the left, and it doesn't work for the other side.

"Hate talk" radio/tv is the vehicle of the right, the centrists/liberals haven't figured out how to compete on that level. They tried a few years ago and failed miserably.

• Like 1

"Hate talk" radio/tv is the vehicle of the right, the centrists/liberals haven't figured out how to compete on that level. They tried a few years ago and failed miserably.

MSNBC is hateful enough, but no one watches it.

I would be I don't get it in Thailand. Stuck with Fox. bah.gif

You can watch everything from these two sites live:
Not sure if those links are legal but if not google wwitv and livestation if the mods have to delete the links.
  • Like 1

MSNBC is hateful enough, but no one watches it.

I would be I don't get it in Thailand. Stuck with Fox. bah.gif

You can watch everything from these two sites live:
Not sure if those links are legal but if not google wwitv and livestation if the mods have to delete the links.

I get BBC on my cable. I was talking about American networks. I would like USA based CNN and MSNBC.

I believe that many/not all Republicans are just too thin skinned to tackle comedy. I remember watching a clip of some comedian at a Republican event telling jokes about the Democrats... The crowd roared... As soon as he told a joke about the Republicans, off goes the mic and the guy is told his time is up.

Maybe the Republicans feel that their views/policies/speeches/people etc are akin to church gospel and should not be joked about.

I give the comedians mentioned above credit because they usually crack jokes about both sides and the people who usually get upset about it are the Republicans. Everyone else just rolls with it and moves on.

I give the comedians mentioned above credit because they usually crack jokes about both sides and the people who usually get upset about it are the Republicans. Everyone else just rolls with it and moves on.

That is probabaly because 98% of the time it is at their expense. whistling.gif

That is probabaly because 98% of the time it is at their expense. whistling.gif

That's because it is too easy... I mean, embarrassingly too easy. The comedians don't even have to stretch for it... It comes on a silver platter, all buttered and ready to be served. Transvaginal probe... c'mon... That begs to be joked about and the person who submitted it was just asking... no begging to be roasted.