Farang Giving Up All To Come And Live In Pattaya

irishlad

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I previously said I live on 10k a month

My wife and I have a farm with a large farmhouse, together with our children and step-children (sometimes my SIL), out back we have 25 rai of farmland, and up the mountain we have another 30 rai of forest. I am neither lonely nor living in a shoebox.

Is that 10k additional to the food and proceeds from the farmland? Surely that farmland was a big investment? How big is that in hectares?

Not everyone marries a woman who owns nothing.

There are plenty of Thai ladies out there with their own homes, farms, transport and businesses.

This country is full of independent and eligible single women.

2.5 rai = 1 acre, so that's 10 acre of arable and 12 acre of forest.

Most people do (marry a woman with nothing) here in Thailand, so thanks for setting us straight on that point. Some could be lucky to meet a Thai lady who already fleeced another foreigner... I see that from time to time - ladies who own condos, cars etc. Some are looking for another foreigner to help them make condo payments.smile.png

Your situation would not be relevant to a question by a foreigner about what it would cost to comfortably live in Thailand. Most of us don't have the benefit of a free place to stay and have to pay rent or buy a condo. Before I even eat I spend 30k per month.

Edited by tropo

one of the dangers is that you sit back and count your money before you make a big move, and you find that it's never enough.

that's why we get all these threads about if a poster has enough money? answer: it's never enough.

if you have a cushion and want to move you need to take the plunge, otherwise days turn into years, things change, and it does not happen.

so you go on vacation as a test, extend it longer, and slowly burn your bridges back home as you go, that's the way to find out if you have enough money.

if you get a girlfriend all your expenses automatically double because your paying twice for everything when you are with her. that's where many people go wrong.

• Like 1

The OP originally asked if members have any insights, tips or advice for retiring in Pattaya at 48? After 7 pages of of mostly useless crap I suggest "Irishlad" reconsider asking mostly bored older whingers and keyboard warriors with too much time on their hands and to just make the move. When he gets here for his 6 month longterm stay he may find some decent friends in the area to discuss life in Pattaya and early retirement.whistling.gif

• Like 1

one of the dangers is that you sit back and count your money before you make a big move, and you find that it's never enough.

that's why we get all these threads about if a poster has enough money? answer: it's never enough.

if you have a cushion and want to move you need to take the plunge, otherwise days turn into years, things change, and it does not happen.

so you go on vacation as a test, extend it longer, and slowly burn your bridges back home as you go, that's the way to find out if you have enough money.

if you get a girlfriend all your expenses automatically double because your paying twice for everything when you are with her. that's where many people go wrong.

You are going 'wrong' by having a girlfriend? Besides, 2 bowls of noodles isn't that expensive cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As I previously said I live on 10k a month

My wife and I have a farm with a large farmhouse, together with our children and step-children (sometimes my SIL), out back we have 25 rai of farmland, and up the mountain we have another 30 rai of forest. I am neither lonely nor living in a shoebox.

Is that 10k additional to the food and proceeds from the farmland? Surely that farmland was a big investment? How big is that in hectares?

Not everyone marries a woman who owns nothing.

There are plenty of Thai ladies out there with their own homes, farms, transport and businesses.

This country is full of independent and eligible single women.

2.5 rai = 1 acre, so that's 10 acre of arable and 12 acre of forest.

Most people do (marry a woman with nothing) here in Thailand, so thanks for setting us straight on that point. Some could be lucky to meet a Thai lady who already fleeced another foreigner... I see that from time to time - ladies who own condos, cars etc. Some are looking for another foreigner to help them make condo payments.smile.png

Your situation would not be relevant to a question by a foreigner about what it would cost to comfortably live in Thailand. Most of us don't have the benefit of a free place to stay and have to pay rent or buy a condo. Before I even eat I spend 30k per month.

When I came to Pattaya (first trip to Thailand), I didn't have a free place to live either ......... but a month later I was married and I did. If I can do it, I really don't see why others can't do it, or why my situation wouldn't be relevant to other new arrivals.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The OP works in the IT industry. At that pay rate, he's a mid-tier analyst or code banger. Top IT analysts/consultants with vertical industry experience can knock down 60k baht a day easy, and not work any overtime. Not in Thailand though.

I was going to say the same thing. 300-400 euros a day is on the low side. I just finished a contract 50k baht a day and there were others getting more than me.

Don't get short sighted. Think 5 years down the road, then jump to 20.

There's a lot to be said for living in the present too.

You must have a very depressing existence with such clear vision of the future. Have you planned your funeral yet?

Excuse me but why in the world would you make such a negative comment? Oh right it is Tropo. Having a clear vision of the future is bad? What a croc. Look at the global financial housing crash in 2008. Large part due to people being nitwits and grossly over extending themselves, borrowing beyond their means. Now they are on 0. Much of their life savings gone that they worked years for. As far as planned my funeral, I have not, but surely you must have heard of people that buy their funeral plots, or at least get their military papers available for their relatives so that when they do die, there are no issues getting into the veteran's cemetary, which just may be something they wish. Never heard of older generation being prepared and having their affairs in order? Is guying life insurance in case of death so the wife will have something a "depressing" planning event? Trip 14 to Thailand coming soon and it should be for 60 days or so.

When I came to Pattaya (first trip to Thailand), I didn't have a free place to live either ......... but a month later I was married and I did. If I can do it, I really don't see why others can't do it, or why my situation wouldn't be relevant to other new arrivals.

I can't do it. ...but seriously, I'd rather pay rent in the city than live free on a farm - each to their own.

Marrying within one month of meeting a girl is a recipe for disaster. It worked out well for you, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Excuse me but why in the world would you make such a negative comment? Oh right it is Tropo. Having a clear vision of the future is bad? What a croc.

The only negative comment was your stab at me.

Having a clear vision of the future is the "croc", because it is not possible.

• Like 1

like starting the "school of hard knocks" all over again. Unless you are a seasoned professional einstein know-it-all, expect to make many errors, mistakes, blunders, etc which is the norm here. Try to hangout with some long stay folks who can help you avoid the many pitfalls ahead.

Edited by bangkok101

NOT TRUE...

My rent, cable TV, internet, fuel, vehicle tax and insurance, vehicle maintenance, gardener, security guard, electricity and water (etc...) would be the same whether or not I had a girl.

The weekly buy of food and other such consumables, soap for example, would, of course, increase and...perhaps...double. But if you are single you tend to eat out a lot more. You will also probably pay for your laundry to be done. If you have the right girl at home she will be cooking and cleaning for you and so...ultimately...you are also saving money by eating at home and not out at restaurants and not paying for laundry or other domestic services.

Living with my little girl was the best domestic decision I have ever made. I love the food that she cooks for me. I love how clean and tidy my clothes are. I love how my house is spotless from top to bottom. I love how she never wastes a cent on the house hold budget. And I love falling asleep at night breathing in the beautiful scent from her long ebony hair.. There is no additional drain on my personal finances...the only significant risk is that I am slowly transforming into the world's laziest man...

..the only significant risk is that I am slowly transforming into the world's laziest man...

Yep, that's why I don't like being looked after too well.... especially in the cooking department. I cook my own food.

i think this op is going to get very little help from the members of this forum no matter how good their intentions. The answer to the general question should be answered with 'How long is a piece of string'

Not knowing you personally,your likes/dislikes, your personality etc one cannot give good advice on this. Things you do need to know about visas etc can be found from many websites so you don't need forum members help on that.

As for trying to get a 'good' girl from 7/11 or similar. Best of luck, but learn Thai first or you will not have a great relationship. Unfortunately few if any 7/11 assistants or those in simlar working posts speak more than half a dozen words of English and that could include 'Coke, Beer and Fanta'

The only advice is come here and see if you can happily settle here. Make your own life. Everybody has there own idea of what is acceptable to them.

• Like 1

WHY Pattaya !!!!!!!!!!! In 6 months you can travel all over and then decide where you want to settle suggestions :

Changmai

Kon Kaen

Kanchaniburi

Hui Hin

Phuket

Krabi

Koh Samui

Koh Phangan

There are plenty of places !!!!!

Good Luck

But you wont get any Irish suasage or white pudding !!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP originally asked if members have any insights, tips or advice for retiring in Pattaya at 48? After 7 pages of of mostly useless crap I suggest "Irishlad" reconsider asking mostly bored older whingers and keyboard warriors with too much time on their hands and to just make the move. When he gets here for his 6 month longterm stay he may find some decent friends in the area to discuss life in Pattaya and early retirement.whistling.gif

Best reply of those given, echoes my thoughts entirely (see later post of mine)The only thing I would add is be aware of the pitfalls.

About the other farang 'friends' you will make, then be very careful of what they have to say. There are many Farangs out there that are so bitter and against the Thai lady, possibly because they have had a bad experience. Too mant talk about the bad times, not enough people talk about the good times.

NOT TRUE...

My rent, cable TV, internet, fuel, vehicle tax and insurance, vehicle maintenance, gardener, security guard, electricity and water (etc...) would be the same whether or not I had a girl.

The weekly buy of food and other such consumables, soap for example, would, of course, increase and...perhaps...double. But if you are single you tend to eat out a lot more. You will also probably pay for your laundry to be done. If you have the right girl at home she will be cooking and cleaning for you and so...ultimately...you are also saving money by eating at home and not out at restaurants and not paying for laundry or other domestic services.

Living with my little girl was the best domestic decision I have ever made. I love the food that she cooks for me. I love how clean and tidy my clothes are. I love how my house is spotless from top to bottom. I love how she never wastes a cent on the house hold budget. And I love falling asleep at night breathing in the beautiful scent from her long ebony hair.. There is no additional drain on my personal finances...the only significant risk is that I am slowly transforming into the world's laziest man...

Have no rent to pay so manage very well on 40,000 per month for all bills and good food

my neighbour is the same as me but his wife is thai ( Mine is from the UK ) has a few less bills and runs out of money all the time when I asked him what he spent each month he said 70 k and all she feeds him is thai food

I rest my case !!!!!!!!

OK, So all the Pattaya expats will flame me but here goes. I worked in Pattaya for 6 months but couldn't wait to transfer out to Bangkok; why? The last straw was one Sunday morning, early, as I drove to get some milk, A half naked woman jumped out almost in front of the car near the Dolphin roundabout, shouting something at me I couldn't quite hear. I thought at first she was in some sort of trouble and actually slowed down, only to hear..'Hallo you want massage special handsome man?' I mean, it was about eight frickin thirty on a Sunday morning for chrissake. It is basically a brothel city and although I am sure there are some nice (good) girls there it would not be my first choice of a place to find them. There are lots of respectable expats there but it also attracts the dregs of society. There are lots of lovely, genuine Thai ladies who want nothing more than to take care of you AND you take care of them but I wouldn't be looking for them in Pattaya. Just my 2 satangs worth... good luck.

This has to be the most ridiculous reason to move out of a city because a half naked lady jumped out in front of them on Sunday morning and asked if they wanted a massage! lmfao this has to be a wind up?

Is guying life insurance in case of death so the wife will have something a "depressing" planning event?

In Thailand, I'm thinking such behaviour could be called 'tempting fate'.

Hehe. In this instance I would agree with you. Luckily based on my height I am less likely to tip over and fall from all those low height balcony railings that seem to cause so many Pattaya deaths.

• Like 1

Excuse me but why in the world would you make such a negative comment? Oh right it is Tropo. Having a clear vision of the future is bad? What a croc.

Uhh let's see, in your first reply you asserted that I had a depressing existence and that I had a clear vision of the future. I never said any such thing. Try reading with comprehension next time.

I was merely trying to point out and offering the point of view that throwing every thing away now jobwise and money wise and career-wise before planning it out, could result in the Original Poster being in very bad shape within a few years. He would not be the first farang to go broke chasing something he liked. Just meant to offer a word of caution.

Uhh let's see, in your first reply you asserted that I had a depressing existence and that I had a clear vision of future. I never said any such thing. Try reading with comprehension next time.

Try making your thoughts more clear rather than blaming the reader. You made it personal by asserting that any post of mine is negative.

Just because I don't plan too far ahead doesn't mean I'm negative. It probably makes me more positive actually because I'm not focusing on and planning for all the s**t that can happen in the future. Would you consider a very health conscious person who doesn't drink or smoke, eats healthy food and exercises everyday negative? I'll tell you one thing, I don't have a grey hair yet at 53.

The main reason I don't plan ahead too much is because of my religious beliefs, which I shall not go into here. As it is I'm on borrowed time, so every day is a bonus.

Edited by tropo