Canadian Sisters Died In Thailand From Drinking Cocktail That Contained Insect Repellent

webfact

who the hell is writing these reports,police hunt for 2 portuguese who where drinking with the sisters,now they say it was 2 brazilians.

Perhaps someone heard them speaking Portugese and jumped to th conclusion that they were from Portugal. And perhaps after some investigation they found out they were from Brazil. I don't see what's wrong with that, and it's certainly not the reporter's fault.

The problem with many people on this forum is that the expect reports to know every single bit of what happened within seconds of something happening. If nothing is reported, becasue they need time to investigate, then they accuse the authorities of covering things up. You can't have it both way.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Symptoms

For pyrethrins:

• Breathing difficulty
  • Coughing
  • Loss of alertness due to imbalance in oxygen level
  • Tremors (if a large amount is swallowed)
  • Seizures (if a large amount is swallowed)
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/002763.htm

Who said pyrethrins was involved? That's a completely different chemical. You might as well post the symptoms of radiation sickness...

Edited by moto77

Just out of passing curiosity, is it actually possible to buy Deet on its own? If they are mixing things up like Tom Cruise with the stuff in, surely the drinks get a bit pricey when they have to stick in a bottle of Skita-Killer into it. Also, if they are using off the shelf stuff, they will be other nasties in there as well. What is wrong with people who think it is a good idea to mix this stuff into drinks - guessing the poor lasses and most people don't have a clue what they are drinking really.

OK... this is ABSURD. I have been in Thailand a decade. Everyone know thats PHI PHI is a place full of Thai scum. The locals bar kids... the scummy local 16 year olds and their gang of poor thai losers RAPE, gang rape and spike drinks on a daily basis. THAT IS A FACT!!!! if you tell me otherwise you obvisouly have never been to phi phi or dont have a clue. these girls had their drinks spike and they died. simple. when people ask me of no go ares in asia... phi phi is top of the list. i know this first hand... if you think phi phi isnt like this... please explain to me why... i am in need of a laugh today at western people and their lonely planet guide. weclome to thailand!

Yes there are some drug addicts on the island, and yes there are some gangs on the island who prey on young tourists, but it's more for stealing their phones and credit cards and money than it is for sex related acts (the latter is often initiated by farangs and other non locals).

Yes Phi Phi is far from perfect, but to suggest that Phi Phi is a place full of Thai scum is the biggest generalisation I've ever heard. I don't know you, and if you are using your real name i've never heard of you, yet I co-own and manage one of the bars on Phi Phi.

Now before you jump down my throat, at my bar we refuse to sell buckets, never have, and do not even let people enter our bar with a bucket or another drink purchased elsewhere because of the evilness associated with them.

You'll see if you care to read my numerous other posts on this topic, that I'm in agreeance that the girls probably drank one of the ridiculous cocktails available on the island, but as to whether they actually chose to do so or not we may not ever know. I think it would be pertinent, as suggested elsewhere to definitely chase up and speak with the two brazilians and the notorious samantha fox to help find out where they got the drinks and who mixed them.

Our bar has always followed a bucket-free existance, and we will continue to do so. And while there are shit people on the island, there are shit people everywhere, not just on Phi Phi. I know hundreds of good, honest, hard-working, genuine, kind, worthy people who live on Phi Phi and run businesses there and to say we're all just thai scum makes it obvious you don't really know anything about the true Phi Phi.

And again, before you jump down my throat to suggest I don't know what I'm talking about, my partner hails from one of the original four families who first settled on the island last century, and there are many many descendants of these four families still living and working on the island. Unfortunately, yes, sometimes these people are far from perfect, but you know what? A lot of times, it's people who have come from other parts of thailand or other countries who treat Phi Phi and its visitors with the disrespect you refer to.

OK... this is ABSURD. I have been in Thailand a decade. Everyone know thats PHI PHI is a place full of Thai scum. The locals bar kids... the scummy local 16 year olds and their gang of poor thai losers RAPE, gang rape and spike drinks on a daily basis. THAT IS A FACT!!!! if you tell me otherwise you obvisouly have never been to phi phi or dont have a clue. these girls had their drinks spike and they died. simple. when people ask me of no go ares in asia... phi phi is top of the list. i know this first hand... if you think phi phi isnt like this... please explain to me why... i am in need of a laugh today at western people and their lonely planet guide. weclome to thailand!

Yes there are some drug addicts on the island, and yes there are some gangs on the island who prey on young tourists, but it's more for stealing their phones and credit cards and money than it is for sex related acts (the latter is often initiated by farangs and other non locals).

Yes Phi Phi is far from perfect, but to suggest that Phi Phi is a place full of Thai scum is the biggest generalisation I've ever heard. I don't know you, and if you are using your real name i've never heard of you, yet I co-own and manage one of the bars on Phi Phi.

Now before you jump down my throat, at my bar we refuse to sell buckets, never have, and do not even let people enter our bar with a bucket or another drink purchased elsewhere because of the evilness associated with them.

You'll see if you care to read my numerous other posts on this topic, that I'm in agreeance that the girls probably drank one of the ridiculous cocktails available on the island, but as to whether they actually chose to do so or not we may not ever know. I think it would be pertinent, as suggested elsewhere to definitely chase up and speak with the two brazilians and the notorious samantha fox to help find out where they got the drinks and who mixed them.

Our bar has always followed a bucket-free existance, and we will continue to do so. And while there are shit people on the island, there are shit people everywhere, not just on Phi Phi. I know hundreds of good, honest, hard-working, genuine, kind, worthy people who live on Phi Phi and run businesses there and to say we're all just thai scum makes it obvious you don't really know anything about the true Phi Phi.

And again, before you jump down my throat to suggest I don't know what I'm talking about, my partner hails from one of the original four families who first settled on the island last century, and there are many many descendants of these four families still living and working on the island. Unfortunately, yes, sometimes these people are far from perfect, but you know what? A lot of times, it's people who have come from other parts of thailand or other countries who treat Phi Phi and its visitors with the disrespect you refer to.

fair enough... you seem reasonable. im in samui atm but havent been phi phi for a year or two... good and bad everywhere... but phi phi (same as a few other places) does have a very dark side to it and i wouldnt let my family ever visit. ashame as its a beautiful place

Although I don't have the patience to read through so much drivel, I do think the gist of what you are saying is that any any opinion you may have will naturally be skewed by bias or personal interests vested in the subject matter. No much better than opinions of Thai officials.

You think they actively chose to take this stuff. I have been here for 16years and never heard of this type of cocktail.? Right what hope a first time visitor.

If you're not a thrill-seeking party-hardy youngster who has visited Phi Phi in the past several months, then you're excused for not knowing what the latest crazes are. I'm not saying the unfortunate sisters were of that ilk, but it sounds like many youngsters do go to Phi Phi and get zonked out of their gourds, whether by choice or.....

Also, it's appreciated hearing reports (and even opinions) from people who have first-hand experiences on the island. Their voices ring with more authority (about what may have happened) than most of the rest of us.

A clearer picture is being painted about what the most likely scenario was that tragic night. I can't overstate how disenchanted I am with the Thai authorities, for appearing not to investigate this thoroughly. If there was a special citation for 'Sitting on Hands', all the cops would get one. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong in the coming weeks/months/years, but I doubt it. It took them 9 weeks to mention 'deet.' What are Canadian forensics doing?

Up here in Chiang Rai, I get young backpackers coming and going at a steady clip. They're all fine folks. I tell them of the possible pitfalls of Phi Phi (poisoning), Pattaya and Phuket (jetski extortionists and mean-spirited tuk tuk drivers). Nearly all the youngsters already made plans to explore Laos, regardless of what I happen to mention. Laos is more 'tourist friendly' and probably safer - at least for backpackers.

• Like 1

You think they actively chose to take this stuff. I have been here for 16years and never heard of this type of cocktail.? Right what hope a first time visitor.

If you're not a thrill-seeking party-hardy youngster who has visited Phi Phi in the past several months, then you're excused for not knowing what the latest crazes are. I'm not saying the unfortunate sisters were of that ilk, but it sounds like many youngsters do go to Phi Phi and get zonked out of their gourds, whether by choice or.....

Also, it's appreciated hearing reports (and even opinions) from people who have first-hand experiences on the island. Their voices ring with more authority (about what may have happened) than most of the rest of us.

A clearer picture is being painted about what the most likely scenario was that tragic night. I can't overstate how disenchanted I am with the Thai authorities, for appearing not to investigate this thoroughly. If there was a special citation for 'Sitting on Hands', all the cops would get one. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong in the coming weeks/months/years, but I doubt it. It took them 9 weeks to mention 'deet.' What are Canadian forensics doing?

Up here in Chiang Rai, I get young backpackers coming and going at a steady clip. They're all fine folks. I tell them of the possible pitfalls of Phi Phi (poisoning), Pattaya and Phuket (jetski extortionists and mean-spirited tuk tuk drivers). Nearly all the youngsters already made plans to explore Laos, regardless of what I happen to mention. Laos is more 'tourist friendly' and probably safer - at least for backpackers.

No matter how bad one feels the need to transfer blame to the victims here, for whatever reasons, I fund it rather unlikely two intelligent and highly educated girls with a great reputation in community, active in both family and community service are thrill seeking drug addicts and stupid enough to knowingly ingest bug spray. Innocence can breed gullibility which us perhaps an even more dangerous trait to possess in a place like Phi Phi.

Couldn't agree more. But the odds that most short term tourists actually know that their drinks are being laced with pesticide is slim. It will be explained as having x, y or z, but I cannot believe that anyone would be so stupid to intentionally imbibe mozzie repellent.

A dose of pesticide in your bucket of hooch or straight up Sir?

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. But the odds that most short term tourists actually know that their drinks are being laced with pesticide is slim. It will be explained as having x, y or z, but I cannot believe that anyone would be so stupid to intentionally imbibe mozzie repellent.

Wouldn't the big pile of dead mosquitoes around the drinks be a bit of a giveaway!!!!!

A dose ...?? ... Nah!! I'm on holidays !! Double DEET please in the bucket .. I wanna a real high !! And here's an extra 100 Baht for the extra DEET .. Thanks!!

But the odds that most short term tourists actually know that their drinks are being laced with pesticide is slim. It will be explained as having x, y or z, but I cannot believe that anyone would be so stupid to intentionally imbibe mozzie repellent.

Someone ingesting the ghastly stuff would not necessarily be cognizent of doing so. Every time you eat a meal at a Thai restaurant, you're taking the chance of ingesting lots of MSG (MSG is debilitating for some people), even if the restaurant claims it doesn't use the stuff, because MSG is in virtually all the bottled sauces at a Thai chef's kitchen. Plus, you're more likely than not getting non-organic veges and pesticide-tainted rice in your meal, even at the highest class restaurants. I'm not saying MSG or pesticides in food are as bad as mosquito repellent in a drink, it's just that, if you ingest food or drink in Thailand, you're going to get some suspect chemicals that aren't mentioned by the people serving them to you.

p.s. for those chuckling about the reference to msg, there have been reports (albeit rare) of fatalities from the stuff. If you have kids, it's highly recommended you protect them from eating MSG. It jangles brain cells (physically over-activates them) and contributes to thinking/focus/mood problems. Could partly explain why Thai students perform poorly on standardized tests.

• Like 1

But the odds that most short term tourists actually know that their drinks are being laced with pesticide is slim. It will be explained as having x, y or z, but I cannot believe that anyone would be so stupid to intentionally imbibe mozzie repellent.

Someone ingesting the ghastly stuff would not necessarily be cognizent of doing so. Every time you eat a meal at a Thai restaurant, you're taking the chance of ingesting lots of MSG (MSG is debilitating for some people), even if the restaurant claims it doesn't use the stuff, because MSG is in virtually all the bottled sauces at a Thai chef's kitchen. Plus, you're more likely than not getting non-organic veges and pesticide-tainted rice in your meal, even at the highest class restaurants. I'm not saying MSG or pesticides in food are as bad as mosquito repellent in a drink, it's just that, if you ingest food or drink in Thailand, you're going to get some suspect chemicals that aren't mentioned by the people serving them to you.

p.s. for those chuckling about the reference to msg, there have been reports (albeit rare) of fatalities from the stuff. If you have kids, it's highly recommended you protect them from eating MSG. It jangles brain cells (physically over-activates them) and contributes to thinking/focus/mood problems. Could partly explain why Thai students perform poorly on standardized tests.

]

Its one thing to ingest stuff that is widely accepted as being ok to eat, it is another thing to be standing in a bar, with a barman or anyone else saying, "Here try this, its a local cocktail, every body tries it".

It could be advertised as anything, just a cocktail with a name, and in a busy bar, do you reckon most people even bother to watch what is being put in? For a bar to be knowingly adding pesticide to a cocktail, is in my opinion murder. I remember my sister developing a like of Sangsom and RedBull, until she one night had a few too many. A racing pulse, inability to sleep for 2 days, matched together with vomiting made sure she never did that again. But then, Red Bull in Thailand is not Red Bull in Europe.

What would possess anyone to sell insect repellent in a cocktail to innocent consumers is beyond me.

• Like 1

First off, I would find this more believeable if it came from the Canadian autopsy. From the BiB it sounds like something they pulled out of their arse, as usual.

There was something in the past few years about some guys living out in the country somewhere down south who got high on a mixture weed, the powder inside fluorescent tubes, and some other ghastly <deleted>. It was a video report, just did a search but didn't find it.

But I did find this:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-362085.html

Edited by bendejo

so I guess the tales that some posted on the other page about mozzie repellents being put into drinks weren't to far off then. The worldly and wise branded them as loonies running around in tin foil hats with conspiricy theories. I guess there is something to be learnt here, next time before some attack others with insults, stop for a moment and consider the possibility they may actually be more intelligent than yourselves and not escapees from the loony farm. I am refering to minority, those that think they have thier doctorates in everything known to mankind.

OK, but how much have they had to ingest for it to be lethal and the article talks about an overdose of DEET ?...surely that would be a very large amount

My Fila dog ate a whole mosquito coil (Bayer) when she was just a few month old - apart from saying it was very tasty nothing happened!

Why are we only hearing of this now from the Thais when before they said nothing was found?

Is it an attempt to divert attention from the pending Canadian result?

DEET doesn't breakdown blood vessels, which by all accounts is what happened.

For the people who are mentioning the CM deaths please check here:

http://photo-journ.com/2011/war-of-words-over-chiang-mai-tourist-deaths-report/#axzz1VC3kUrUx

so I guess the tales that some posted on the other page about mozzie repellents being put into drinks weren't to far off then. The worldly and wise branded them as loonies running around in tin foil hats with conspiricy theories. I guess there is something to be learnt here, next time before some attack others with insults, stop for a moment and consider the possibility they may actually be more intelligent than yourselves and not escapees from the loony farm. I am refering to minority, those that think they have thier doctorates in everything known to mankind.

The worldly & wise, most receive their doctorates from television, they have difficulty in reading comprehension.

The worldly & wise, most receive their doctorates from television, they have difficulty in reading comprehension.

If the Canadian autopsy reaches a different conclusion for cause of death what are then going to say? How about being quiet until the Canadian results are announced rather than beating your breasts with "I told you so" without a formal announcement.

Edited by simple1

I feel very sad for these girls and their family and friends. DEET is a common additive to a cocktail sold in Thailand called 1-2-Call, which is a variation of 1x100. It is popular with Thais but nearly always found where ever mushroom shakes are found, aimed at the foreign back packer market for a cheap buzz. It is very popular in the South of Thailand by local communities.

Where do you get this information? Sounds like nonsense to me.

OK, but how much have they had to ingest for it to be lethal and the article talks about an overdose of DEET ?...surely that would be a very large amount

My Fila dog ate a whole mosquito coil (Bayer) when she was just a few month old - apart from saying it was very tasty nothing happened!

I bet the bugs stayed away from her poo toothumbsup.gif

• Like 2

If the Canadian autopsy reaches a different conclusion for cause of death what are then going to say? How about being quiet until the Canadian results are announced rather than beating your breasts with "I told you so" without a formal announcement.

Beating breasts? That sounds rather cruel clap2.gif

My gf just returned from Phi Phi last week. In quick succession my nieces, daughter and my gf all went to Phi Phi. I gave strict instruction NOT to drink or anything offered by anyone. Order normal food and take drinks only from bottles open by yourself and kept in their position.. All came back safe....

However, this warning was difficult to get through to my nieces whom would listen to any Thai person, including the scammers around Wat PraKaew and Siam Paragon.

What is most interesting is the information on drinks from Phi Phi. At pubs on Phi Phi, mostly or exclusively run by westerners, they were constantly offered unknown drinks that were readily pushed, from the Kamakazi to more extreme thrill cocktails in bucket and jugs. There is some sickening behaviour going on there and I have no doubt that something went drastically wrong with an experimental drink or a drink that some harded beach junkie thought would be a cheap high for the young tourists. There are some cheap highs which are being pushed by some very sick people, and this could be finger pointed at westerners in particular.... The authorities need to investigate this until the entire picture is cleared for this once beautiful little island.

Edited by jayjayjayjay

who the hell is writing these reports,police hunt for 2 portuguese who where drinking with the sisters,now they say it was 2 brazilians.

Possibly because they talked with people who knew that Portuguese was being spoken, so someone assumed the men were from Portugal, but further investigation found them to be Brazilian instead.

Certainly no American would do this - they would have no clue what language was being spoken, much less assume the dudes were from Portugal (where the hell is Portugal?) Must have been them Euros said Portugal!

But if you go back to the original article:

They (The Hotel) had a copy of one of the Male friends Passports it was also reported from the Police in their offical report that the friend had left and was home... Home in Portugal! The Passport was Portuguese, Not Brazilian! I wish people would at least take Notes! Before they spend a half a page speculating....

Language may be the same... But the Passports or totally Different!

Again the offical Police report in the first article posted was referring to the Male friend who was viewed in cct Camera helping the Girls back to their room. The Hotel supplied a copy of his Passport to the Police. This is how they tracked him from the resort back to Bangkok and his timely arrival in Portugal.

If you are going to report on or question this Subject.... at least act like you have read the complete or at least scimmed the article pauseing to read the Offical Postings.

A clearer picture is being painted about what the most likely scenario was that tragic night.

Up here in Chiang Rai, I get young backpackers coming and going at a steady clip.

To kill two young people simultaneously with blood oozing from there bodies takes one hell of a poison.

There are a couple of trees with red berries, on the walk to the waterfall in your neck of the woods that would do that job nicely.

After doing a little research on DEET it is not likely this caused these deaths.

Health Effects in Humans

DEET (N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide)

Chemical Technical Summary for Public Health

and Public Safety Professionals

Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry

Atlanta, Georgia

December 6, 2004

On this Page

The U.S. EPA estimates that 30% of the U.S. population applies DEET every year. In the more than 45 years that DEET has been used in the U.S., reports of adverse effects in humans associated with the dermal application of DEET have been relatively rare, given the billions of applications of the repellent. Case reports of toxicity from DEET exposure have been documented in the medical literature, and range in severity from mild skin irritation to death.

Intentional Ingestion of DEET

Rarely, people have ingested DEET intentionally to commit suicide, or because of psychological problems (Tenenbein 1987; Fraser et al. 1995). The effects resulting from intentional ingestion are variable, due to the different scenarios in which they occurred. Of the six reported cases of deliberate DEET ingestion, three led to death. In these cases, the amount ingested was 15-50 mL of 47.5% to 95% DEET in bottles. In two cases, bottles of DEET were drunk along with unspecified amounts of alcohol. Health effects included coma, unresponsiveness to pain and other stimuli, and death (Tenenbein 1987). In another case, a woman with a history of unipolar-depressive illness ingested a number of pills along with 50 mL of 95% DEET. She arrived at the hospital comatose and pulseless. She had a generalized seizure and died from a generalized bowel infarction (Tenenbein 1987). In another case, a woman with a history of psychological disorders ingested 15-25 mL of 95% DEET. She had a right and left atrial enlargement and diffuse ST-T abnormalities, but returned to normal within 24 hours with no further cardiac abnormalities (Fraser et al. 1995).