Hdmi Cord, Where Can I Buy And Will It Work

ramrod711

I want to install an HDMI card in my computer and run a cord to my tv which has two hdmi ports. I need a five metre cord, haven't seen one that long. Is it possible to join two together? My computer uses the Vista premium operating system, someone told me that an hdmi card may not work with that, is that true? Thanks for any advice you may have.

IT Square and Computer City shops (multiple outlets) on northside of moat have good stock of HDMI cables. I bought a 5m one. No reason why it should not work with Vista, afaik. I now run a HDD direct via USB on TV which is far superior. You need a compatible TV.

Plenty around. I bought a 10 meter one to connect to my TV. I got it at CM computers on the Superhighway just round the corner from Chotana. They also have long VGA cables too, which could be an option.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help.

IT Square and Computer City shops (multiple outlets) on northside of moat have good stock of HDMI cables. I bought a 5m one. No reason why it should not work with Vista, afaik. I now run a HDD direct via USB on TV which is far superior. You need a compatible TV.

Thanks for that, I'm a low tech guy. I do have a USB port on my tv, it says "in service only". If I run an HDD cable from my computer to the tv do I need to install a card or modify my computer ? I would like to view some movies I have stored on my computer, on a larger screen, I appreciate the help.

"AMORN" shop next to the computer shops also has a good range of cables for audio and TV.

Thanks masuk, I have looked at a couple of the Amorn shops in the Big C centres, didn't see any 5 metre cables. A local guy in our village says he can install a HDMI card in my computer for 2,000 baht which seems reasonable enough. I doubt that includes the cable though

"AMORN" shop next to the computer shops also has a good range of cables for audio and TV.

Thanks masuk, I have looked at a couple of the Amorn shops in the Big C centres, didn't see any 5 metre cables. A local guy in our village says he can install a HDMI card in my computer for 2,000 baht which seems reasonable enough. I doubt that includes the cable though

I also doubt it includes a cable as usually a hdmi card is just the VGA card without any cables. I also have seen plenty of long HDMI cables.

I run 2 monitors and one tv (hdmi) on my computer.

Thanks for that, I'm a low tech guy. I do have a USB port on my tv, it says "in service only". If I run an HDD cable from my computer to the tv do I need to install a card or modify my computer ? I would like to view some movies I have stored on my computer, on a larger screen, I appreciate the help.

Failing all else, refer to Instruction Manual. smile.png Sounds like a "service" or diagnostics USB outlet. What brand/model of TV?

Generally, one requires a fairly late-model 'smart' TV to run movies direct via USB off HDD but it's the way-to-go! thumbsup.gif

You already have a VGA output on your graphics card. Why not use that and just run a long VGA cable? Cheaper and easier.

Thanks everyone, I don't know enough about this stuff to take advantage of your expertise. I have no idea what a vga outlet would look like. I know I have hdmi ports on the tv and not on the computer so I assumed that was the way to go. Perhaps I should take the computer to a shop and let them figure it out. The tv is an LG model LH20 and I had the computer built at a shop in Panthip plaza a bit less than 2 years ago, the tv was new at that time as well. Sorry I didn't do a bit more research before I bothered you.

Thanks everyone, I don't know enough about this stuff to take advantage of your expertise. I have no idea what a vga outlet would look like. I know I have hdmi ports on the tv and not on the computer so I assumed that was the way to go. Perhaps I should take the computer to a shop and let them figure it out. The tv is an LG model LH20 and I had the computer built at a shop in Panthip plaza a bit less than 2 years ago, the tv was new at that time as well. Sorry I didn't do a bit more research before I bothered you.

ok lets take it from the top, and really this is not difficult. On that model TV you will have both hdmi and VGA ports on the back as it is the same model as I have. The VGA port is in the middle at the back of the TV. On your computer you have your VGA plug on the back from your graphics card that goes to your monitor. Unplug your VGA lead from the back of the computer, and plug in the newly acquired 5 mtr VGA extension, then plug the other end into the back of your TV. See the photo below for image of a VGA plug. Good luck

vga_connector2.jpg

Be sure to select the correct HDMI cable as they come in standard HDMI to HDMI, mini HDMI to HDMI and micro HDMI to HDMI. My camera uses micro HDMI and my video card has mini-hdmi and my 1080 TV standard HDMI.

Also, HDMI has two advantages over VGA and that is VGA is analog and HDMI/DVI is digital and will generally have better picture quality without degradation due to signal noise or crosstalk. Also, HDMI carries, if the card supports it, the audio signals. VGA/DVI you need to run extra pair of cables for the audio.

Ok, well you may wish to try this trick:-

[NB: I saved this info from the 'net in the event I purchased an LG TV ... I didn't, so I cannot confirm whether it works or not.]

1. You need an active USB thumbdrive loaded with multimedia (pics, movies, music, etc.)

2. Insert thumbdrive at the "service only" USB port at the back of the LH20. Do not remove it during the entire process or it may cause the thumbdrive to be corrupted.

3. Go to the service menu of the TV by pressing and holding the MENU button for 5 secs. After which, press and hold the MENU button on the side of the TV simultaneously.

Wait for 5 - 10 secs until the service menu code is prompted for. Enter 0-0-0-0 (zero-zero-zero-zero) in the code panel and the display will show the service menu.

4. In the service menu, you will see various options, go to tool options 2 and click enter. Then go to USB and change the number from 0 (zero)/OFF to 1(one)/ON.

5. After changing, press return or menu to exit the service menu.

6. Press the menu button to go to the function menu and you will see that the input tab is already replaced by the USB tab.

7. Open the USB tab and you will able to play your favorite movie, pics or music.

Thanks for the advice guys I really do appreciate it. I think I'm going to get the local guy to install the HDMI card, then after examining the fittings, I'll buy a cable. I noticed CM computer as I drove on the super highway today, I'll probably try them as Maejo Man suggested.