Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

MonkeyMagic3

Do you mind being called farang?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm well aware of the different stories etc as to why all caucasians are called farang here and that it usually isn't used in a derogatory way but it does annoy me on occasion, how about you? To have a specific name for people based on skin colour is frowned upon in most countries yet here it is accepted. It wasn't so long ago that all people of African origin were labelled as n*****s and there are specific words to describe Asians and South Americans too but they are seldom used these days.

I was recently called Khun Farang in a government office even though they knew my name, similar story on a recent hospital visit. I hear it at schools, shopping centers, restaurants and even on the daft TV shows my wife likes to watch. It really doesn't bother me that much but on occasion I'd rather be called by my name if they know it or be asked my name so they can call me by my name instead of just 'farang'!

• Like 1

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Some people are more touchy and don't like to hear it in certain situations like you mentioned above. Fair enough. You kind of know when someone is being rude though.

I think Andrew Biggs did a good little article about it in 'Brunch' a few months back.

No.

Anyone with an ounce of manners and class that knows my name calls me my name.

People that don't know my name that say farang is just because they don't know my name.

The permently pissed, mannerless slobs here that still call me farang I funnily enough don't care about.

• Like 2

when i go to a company and say " Hello my name is Mr. kjkjjiik I have an appointment with Khun Somchai" and the receptionist then phones that person and says a farang is here to see you - yes pisses me off totally

Yes, that would be considered rude in Thai culture, knowing someone's name and not using it. Especially in a formal situation like this.

Edited by Morakot

I am annoyed by foreigners who have gone so "Thai-ier than thou" that they argue that the f-rang name calling is a great thing and never insulting and/or racist. I also don't think WE as foreigners should use the word talking about each other. Like I said I consider it a negative thing about Thailand. We can't change that, so it's wise to ACCEPT it, but to PROMOTE is a step nobody needs to take!

JT, no one is "promoting" the use of the word....certainly not me. It is what it is. To me, farang is EXACTLY the same as the word Caucasian. Or Asian. Do you find those words offensive?

Like I said I consider it a negative thing about Thailand.

OK!

But you are aware that Thai people see it as neither negative nor positive. Aren't you? It is usually purely descriptive (unless used improperly). Unlike in many European and North American cultures, being openly descriptive, especially about psychical features is not considered to be rude in Thailand. You do know this, don't you?

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

I’m terribly offended when they drop “village” and only call me “farang”.tongue.png

Come on already, their country, their language, their customs and their rules. They can call me anything they want but people who know me, always use my name. That includes the staff at Starbucks, even. I have questions about those who claim to be disrespected by Thais.coffee1.gif

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

quick, somebody post the link to the last 4 topics about this very same topic...

The last 4 topic's...this has been done about 4 million times on TV

I appreciate that SP, just thought the last 4 topics would give those concerned with more up to date info. but then again I hate being called smart-ass farang. just call me smartass thanks!

I hate it but accept it as one of the negative things about Thailand so I am well beyond being upset by it as that would be self defeating. There are pros and cons in any country.

I agree. When addressed by Thai people, it is occasionally annoying but I see this as my problem. It mainly bothers me when non Thai's use it as I have seen it used many times in a derogatory way or to provoke a response by foreigners to each other on these types of forum boards.

"It is generally believed that the word farang originated with the Indo-Persian word farangi, meaning foreigner. This in turn comes from the word Frank via the Arabic word firinjīyah, which was used to refer to the Franks, a West Germanic tribe that became the biggest political power in Western Europe during the early Middle Ages and from which France derives its name."

• Like 2

Like I said I consider it a negative thing about Thailand.

OK!

But you are aware that Thai people see it as neither negative nor positive. Aren't you? It is usually purely descriptive (unless used improperly). Unlike in many European and North American cultures, being openly descriptive, especially about psychical features is not considered to be rude in Thailand. You do know this, don't you?

But it is in other countries don't you know?