Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

MonkeyMagic3

Do you mind being called farang?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honkey, Peckerwood, Cracker, Marshmellow, Popcorn, Moon Cricket, Oyibo, Wigger, Safedi, Kaeshion, Wallpaper, Cob, Cake, 47s. If your in da hood, it might be: Cracka, Crackers, Honky ass cracker, Mofo cracker.

I really like Moon Cricket. Think I might change Shot to Moon Cricket.smile.png

• Like 1

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I asked more than 4 hours ago what would be the correct Thai word to call a foreigner from who you don't know the name nor his nationality.

But untill now nobody has given me the answer, while there have been many at the same time who have said that farang is bad,very bad.

Do you actually know what you're talking about?

Khon tang chart is often used for people from other countries so surely this could also be used for white skinned foreigners?

Get real. If the Thais called farangs "khon tang chart," the overly sensitive types would be offended by that!

Well, I asked more than 4 hours ago what would be the correct Thai word to call a foreigner from who you don't know the name nor his nationality.

But untill now nobody has given me the answer, while there have been many at the same time who have said that farang is bad,very bad.

Do you actually know what you're talking about?

Khon tang chart is often used for people from other countries so surely this could also be used for white skinned foreigners?

Get real. If the Thais called farangs "khon tang chart," the overly sensitive types would be offended by that!

khon tang chart means foreigner?? because maybe foreigner is a complicated word for thais and with the time this could migrated to farang, I asked a lot about what is the meaning of farang and not have any relation with the fruit, I tried to understand why some people is farang and other not, I showed pictures from people from everywhere and farangs are foreigners, not Asiatic, not black, white, some brown skin with good looking and without beard.

The funny thing is about people from south america, thais recognize as thai people or normal people, but if they have beard, automatically as muslims, only the handsome men or beatiful girl are recognized as farang.

I am one of the minority that dislike being called 'farang'.

Back in the UK, it would not have crossed my mind (or any of my friends) to refer to someone as 'that foreigner/black/Asian' etc. etc. as it is rude.

Having said this, I've never been called farang to my face - those that don't know my name have always said Madam, but I dislike hearing it quietly in the background when they're obviously referring to me.

Think your wrong. Never heard a Thai say Madam, they don't know the word. sad.png

Perhaps it was a similar Thai word huh.png .................................smile.png

Your wrong I'm afraid. Any Thai maid working for foreigners will always refer to her employer as her "Madam", even when talking to other Thai's. Apart from that you often hear the word in the more up market hotels.

If im in a taxi and the driver is saying on the phone he has a farang in the car- no not bothered

If i'm in a store and the assistand talks to another assistant and says 'the farang needs help' - no not bothered

when i go to a company and say " Hello my name is Mr. kjkjjiik I have an appointment with Khun Somchai" and the receptionist then phones that person and says a farang is here to see you - yes pisses me off totally

When Thais who know my name and still refer to me as Farang - yes pisses me off.

I don't like it when their Tone accents are in front "fah-lung!!" I always respond "Pom mi di pen FAH LUNG , pen Ame-diican"post-4641-1156694005.gifpost-4641-1156694005.gif

If im in a taxi and the driver is saying on the phone he has a farang in the car- no not bothered

If i'm in a store and the assistand talks to another assistant and says 'the farang needs help' - no not bothered

when i go to a company and say " Hello my name is Mr. kjkjjiik I have an appointment with Khun Somchai" and the receptionist then phones that person and says a farang is here to see you - yes pisses me off totally

When Thais who know my name and still refer to me as Farang - yes pisses me off.

I don't like it when their Tone accents are in front "fah-lung!!" I always respond "Pom mi di pen FAH LUNG , pen Ame-diican"post-4641-1156694005.gifpost-4641-1156694005.gif

Can only hope that your pronunciation is better than your transliteration tongue.png

Somehow "Hey You!" bothers me a lot more. Not the fault of the person saying it, I was just raised to think calling somebody "you" is rude.

"Hey you" is rude/disrespectful, but likely that Thais will not expect you to understand the Thai word/s for addressing a stranger e.g. Pi (sister), Leung (uncle), etc

my friends of many years who are thai and my wife informed me it is in no way meant in a derogatory way.

they are thai, I will take there word for it over a non thai.

They really cannot understand why its an issue.

I live up north and this is so true.

I don't see where the OP has claimed it is a derogatory name. Being called farang in Thailand is something that tourists and expats experience on a daily basis, usually without malice involved, and Thais don't see it as derogatory. But years ago black people were called ni**ers on a daily basis and the people calling them ni**er said it wasn't derogatory. Same goes for p@ki, w0g, sp1ck etc...none were originally used as a derogatory name to address someone of a particular skin colour, and the people using those words said there was nothing wrong with it, but today it is no longer acceptable in most countries. I doubt farang will be as widely used in 20-30 yrs as it is today but TIT so I could be wrong. To have a widely used and accepted nickname for people based on the colour of their skin in 2012 is pretty rare is it not?

Edited by skybluestu

No, it doesn't bother me. But what bother me is people who continually have to ask this question.

What bothers me is people who feel the need to make the above comment!

New members join all the time. When you joined TV did you trawl through every post to ensure that you didn't ask a question someone else had asked previously?

If you are not interested in a topic, or have seen it before and so are bored by it, then the solution is simple; don't read it!

ok 7by7 farang but I wanted to because it was there. Just because of your high ranking here on TV doesn't make you God farang.

No it doesn't. And having names for people based on their skin colour and broad ethnicity isn't really frowned on anyway. Indians, Asians, Whites, Blacks etc are all perfectly legitimate ways to describe someone.

If someone's warbling on about farang kee ngeeow because I won't buy them a bottle of whiskey then I just tend to think they're an ignorant plonker, and I'm usually right. If they shout out "hello farang" I tend to assume they live in a small village and don't see foreigners much. I'm usually right.

well go to robinsons sukhumvit / soi19 , walk out in front of McD's to the street and wait for the upcountry tuk tuk drivers to yell at you Hey Farang. Only a guess, but I assume they see more than 1 or 2 foreigners a day pass by?

You look so you know he was talking to you. So it works for him. What should he call you. hey old white western man you want a ride.

Back in the UK, it would not have crossed my mind (or any of my friends) to refer to someone as 'that foreigner/black/Asian' etc. etc. as it is rude.

Having said this, I've never been called farang to my face - those that don't know my name have always said Madam, but I dislike hearing it quietly in the background when they're obviously referring to me.

Think your wrong. Never heard a Thai say Madam, they don't know the word. sad.png

Perhaps it was a similar Thai word huh.png .................................smile.png

Your wrong I'm afraid. Any Thai maid working for foreigners will always refer to her employer as her "Madam", even when talking to other Thai's. Apart from that you often hear the word in the more up market hotels.

Men are farangs and women are Marangs cheesy.gif , very similar but more tasty. giggle.gif

I'm well aware of the different stories etc as to why all caucasians are called farang here and that it usually isn't used in a derogatory way but it does annoy me on occasion, how about you? To have a specific name for people based on skin colour is frowned upon in most countries yet here it is accepted. It wasn't so long ago that all people of African origin were labelled as n*****s and there are specific words to describe Asians and South Americans too but they are seldom used these days.

I was recently called Khun Farang in a government office even though they knew my name, similar story on a recent hospital visit. I hear it at schools, shopping centers, restaurants and even on the daft TV shows my wife likes to watch. It really doesn't bother me that much but on occasion I'd rather be called by my name if they know it or be asked my name so they can call me by my name instead of just 'farang'!

I'm mixed, African American (as brown as Obama) and I'm referred to as farang just as much as any fair skinned Swede or Brit. So it's not about color. And please educate me…when did "we" refer to Africans as n****rs?

I agree with you. If your name is known,'USE IT '! If not 'Ask' It does not really bother me that much ,but when used in a ignorant or unfriendly manner it does. In my experience especially in place such as government offices they use the expression to try and intimidate you. You sometimes have to bite the tongue and keep the head.

I believe the British people consider the word Paki to be offensive when referring to Pakistani's?

As I'm not British it just sounds like a common nickname and no way offensive, much like the way Australian people refer to themselves as Aussies. The point is that every country has it's own cultural do's and don'ts about what is acceptable and what is not.

As for black, Asian etc being considered rude...in the United States even the government likes to use these terms in official forms.

Edited by Time Traveller

my friends of many years who are thai and my wife informed me it is in no way meant in a derogatory way.

they are thai, I will take there word for it over a non thai.

They really cannot understand why its an issue.

I live up north and this is so true.

I don't see where the OP has claimed it is a derogatory name. Being called farang in Thailand is something that tourists and expats experience on a daily basis, usually without malice involved, and Thais don't see it as derogatory. But years ago black people were called ni**ers on a daily basis and the people calling them ni**er said it wasn't derogatory. Same goes for p@ki, w0g, sp1ck etc...none were originally used as a derogatory name to address someone of a particular skin colour, and the people using those words said there was nothing wrong with it, but today it is no longer acceptable in most countries. I doubt farang will be as widely used in 20-30 yrs as it is today but TIT so I could be wrong. To have a widely used and accepted nickname for people based on the colour of their skin in 2012 is pretty rare is it not?

most people here, almost all i suspect dont even know the history of the word, or how it come into use, do you.

dont compare it to the n word thats total bs.

A wide-spread belief in thailand is that the word "farang" (Caucasian)

is derived from the French word "francais". This derivation is implausible

on phonetic and historical grounds. It is in fact a popular misconception.

It is true, however, that these words have the same ultimate source.

The word is attested in various forms in languages in Europe, Africa,

the Middle East, South Asia, and Southeast Asia. It is clear that the

word orginated as "Frank" in Europe and spread eastwards along Muslim

trade routes.

Thai most likely borrowed the word from influential Muslim Persian or

Indian traders in the 17th century or even earlier. The Persian word was

"farangg". The term probably was used to refer to early Portuguese

traders and subsequently to all Europeans (ie., non-Muslims).

It is possible that the Thai word "farangset" ("French") is a blend

of the word "farang" and the French word "francais", ie., "farangset" is

actually derived from "farang", not vice versa. Certainly, the word

"farang" existed prior to, and independently of, "farangset"."

this does not offend me, its not the word, its the feeling bhind it, they dont mean no offence.

drink some concrete in the morning you will be fine

It shows the attitude of Thais against people from other countries or different colours. It is not only the word"farang". They use the word "Kaek" for Indians, "Negro" for black Africans (including Afro-Americans). Would Thai people like to be called "monkeynose" or something else in other countries? The use it in a derogatory way to cover their superiority complex. And it dehumanizes foreign people here and makes it easier to deny them the same rights like the natives.

• Like 1

i hear farang a lot i also get called hansum man a lot too.

I say roll with it.

I believe the term Han Sum Man originated from the first Korean punter to ring the bell in a Patpong bar. Among other things, it stands for charm and generosity. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

A guy in the wife's village gets really upset about it because he's been living there for years and thinks people should use his name. Funny thing is, he can't remember many names of the locals apart from his wife's brothers and sisters.

Well you can only remember so many Leks, Nois, Tois and Saos. I mean how do I know which Lek she is talking about?

No, it doesn't bother me. But what bother me is people who continually have to ask this question.

What bothers me is people who feel the need to make the above comment!

New members join all the time. When you joined TV did you trawl through every post to ensure that you didn't ask a question someone else had asked previously?

If you are not interested in a topic, or have seen it before and so are bored by it, then the solution is simple; don't read it!

ok 7by7 farang but I wanted to because it was there. Just because of your high ranking here on TV doesn't make you God farang.

Never said it did.

But I cannot understand the need to make comments like yours or

Has anyone said "here we go again" yet? sad.png

So, why do you both feel the need to make such comments?

It shows the attitude of Thais against people from other countries or different colours. It is not only the word"farang". They use the word "Kaek" for Indians, "Negro" for black Africans (including Afro-Americans). Would Thai people like to be called "monkeynose" or something else in other countries? The use it in a derogatory way to cover their superiority complex. And it dehumanizes foreign people here and makes it easier to deny them the same rights like the natives.

I think something similar, not at the point of dehumanizes but I saw that Thai people feel so superior to wherever of the countries around, inclusive they not recognize thailand indigenous people as "thais" still they help them or take care, is a kind of superiority feeling that create a distance between you and they, similar to the jewish racism.