Does Being Called Farang Bother You?

MonkeyMagic3

Do you mind being called farang?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding of Thai language is adequate and I have been referred to many times as ‘farang’. Under no circumstances it was derogative.

Your understanding of Thai language is faulty.

farang is a thing, khun farang is a person.

The insult is in being referred to as a thing and not a person.

Man, is also an insult, as 'it' is not a suitable way to talk about a person.

No, not really. If someone called me Khun Farang, I would just call them Khun Thai. Like anyone, it does bother me when someone is being rude and I just try to deal with it in a way appropriate in Thai culture. But that's very difficult if you are driving! I find that many drivers are rude by farang standards.

See this poster sort of has the idea ........ but when was he or any of us ever called 'khun farang'

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Anyway, I can guarantee you that Asians get called a lot worse in our western countries.whistling.gif

Maybe by some but that is not the norm. Here, westerners being called "farang" is the norm rather than the exception.

Yes, which makes the same point. The word is built into the Thai language as the norm..No need to get offended because of a difference in culture or language habits.

In the west we also don't approve of saying "Hey you....." as a way to address someone, but some Thais don't know any better. Do you also get offended when a Thai calls out "Hey you.." as you walk by?

Having said that, if a Thai is introduced to you by your real name and still persists in referring to you as "farang", i would also be wondering about that persons manners or education level.

My understanding of Thai language is adequate and I have been referred to many times as ‘farang’. Under no circumstances it was derogative.

No, not really. If someone called me Khun Farang, I would just call them Khun Thai. Like anyone, it does bother me when someone is being rude and I just try to deal with it in a way appropriate in Thai culture. But that's very difficult if you are driving! I find that many drivers are rude by farang standards.

See this poster sort of has the idea ........ but when was he or any of us ever called 'khun farang'

Thommo, As i understand, the word Farang is also used for many different things. In that context it would be weird to hear someone say "khun farang"

Maybe we who are not offended should reconsider, it could indeed be a big conspiracy if Thais are really also likening us to chewing gum, a fat little green fruit and also a potato. (mun farang)laugh.png

Do you also get offended when a Thai calls out "Hey you.." as you walk by?

I don't believe I've ever met a Thai rude enough to shout that.

Really, you've never heard that from stall holders or people at markets?

Ive often even heard it shouted from young guys on the back of pickup trucks as they go by...along with, of course..."I love you" which is a bit of a worry smile.png

Thommo, As i understand, the word Farang is also used for many different things. In that context it would be weird to hear someone say "khun farang"

Maybe we who are not offended should reconsider, it could indeed be a big conspiracy if Thais are really also likening us to chewing gum, a fat little green fruit and also a potato. (mun farang)laugh.png

Hmmmmmmmmm, l have very good respect from my Thai friends etc. When we go anywhere to eat, farang/Thai place, my mrs will always refer to farang food on the phone as l can't eat Lao mush. There is no problem at all. Most Thais have a problem remembering my farang name, as l never remember Thai names rolleyes.gif sooooooo no problem. thumbsup.gif

Ive often even heard it shouted from young guys on the back of pickup trucks as they go by...along with, of course..."I love you" which is a bit of a worry smile.png

I don't live in a tourist area, everyone around me are normal folk.

(they don't use the word farang in my village, the equivalent derogatory term would be 'ma gairw' = guava)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Could be your attire eh. whistling.gif

Really? I guess you have never been near a pushy vendor or tuk tuk driver?

Indeed, it must be a very unique village where Thommo is. In the northern villages I've visited you'd be forgiven for thinking "Farang" and "Hey you" are the only two terms they knowrolleyes.gif

I

Could be your attire eh. whistling.gif

I resent that. I may be round in shape and overweight but i am certainly not a tire biggrin.png

• Like 1

cheesy.gif Yeah, being shouted at like this is normally funny as its a piss take in a fun way...and usually they just shout what ever English words they know...ie....good night...when its in the afternoon etc...

You would need your funny bone removed to not enjoy these silly antics....

Is it the amount of time spent in Thailand or your own peculiar personality that makes you angry being referred to as a farang?

I hate it but accept it as one of the negative things about Thailand so I am well beyond being upset by it as that would be self defeating. There are pros and cons in any country.

I'm kinda with you Jingthing. When used appropriately I have absolutely no problem with it....(I might even use it myself to talk generally about westerners with Thais), but alas most of the time it isn't. But, I suck it up and let it roll off the provebial back. I just put it down to low class ignorance or the racism that one has to get used to. I mean, could you imagine for just one minute in public in say, a government office, department store, restaurant, bank etc etc in say, Paris, Auckland, New York, Perth, Amsterdam, San Fransisco, Vancouver etc refering directly to asians as "asian"...OMG, you'd be shot down in flames!..NOT by the asian but by your fellow "white" countrymen. And that's the difference between the cultures.

You make a good point in that it would be the 'locals' (in the West) that would be horrified, rather than the recently arrived Asian.

But any Asian who had grown up in the West would also, I suspect, be annoyed - as they have grown up with Western values.

Anyway, your point will make me more tolerant of the term 'farang' in future smile.png.

could you imagine for just one minute in public in say, a government office, department store, restaurant, bank etc etc in say, Paris, Auckland, New York, Perth, Amsterdam, San Fransisco, Vancouver etc refering directly to asians as "asian"...OMG, you'd be shot down in flames!..NOT by the asian but by your fellow "white" countrymen. And that's the difference between the cultures.

Calling a Thai 'Asian' is the same as calling a European 'western'.

If you want to use 'farang', then I would suggest 'slope' would be an equivalent insult

Which is not quite what you wrote.

Although, to be fair, 'farang' is an insult based on skin colour. and I can't think of any equivalent insult for a person with brown skin.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Anyway, your point will make me more tolerant of the term 'farang' in future smile.png.

It only make sense if you don´t plan to have any relation to any thais. If you have a thai extended family, I would advice you to tone down that "farang" word, for your own benefit.

Its plain and simple, would you rather be seen as part of your family, or do you want to be viewed as something very different all the time, do you want to be viewed as an object/alien? If you choose the latter, fine, go ahead and laugh it off, if not, sure tell them please, use your name, or at least your nationality.

• Like 1

but I finally realized that, however long I tried, I would never really become a Thai, and that I would be a Farang forever.

One HUGE reason for this is, that we accept it and even call ourselves that.

If you are a tourist, or you never have any intention to make deep bonds with a thai person, sure, we can laugh it off.

But if anyone want to be a part of a thai family, as is the case for many of us who have a thai girlfriend or a thai wife, we sure should not use the word farang, it will only put a distance between you and the rest of the family, and it will make it easier for some evil minded thais to rip us off, or view us as ATM machines...

• Like 1

But if anyone want to be a part of a thai family, as is the case for many of us who have a thai girlfriend or a thai wife, we sure should not use the word farang, it will only put a distance between you and the rest of the family, and it will make it easier for some evil minded thais to rip us off, or view us as ATM machines...

Words won't put any distance anywhere, actions do. If one makes a huge deal of Thais using Farang to describe a Caucasian, that is what they'll notice, someone making a fuss about nothing.

I wonder if the Arabs make same noise about being called Arabs .. probably not. But the PC folks would bust a gut the second they go to Isaan and hear the often spoken word used to described folks of African descent. It's an imported word and begins with N. By the looks of it the negative connotations are not known to the farmers, they're just using it as any other word and thinking nothing about it.

I wonder if the Arabs make same noise about being called Arabs .. probably not. But the PC folks would bust a gut the second they go to Isaan and hear the often spoken word used to described folks of African descent. It's an imported word and begins with N. By the looks of it the negative connotations are not known to the farmers, they're just using it as any other word and thinking nothing about it.

The word they use is 'Nee-go'

You are mishearing the word as something it isn't, as far as I can tell Negro (Spanish/Portuguese for black) is a perfectly acceptable word in most places in the world, and the mis-pronounced Thai version of the word equally so.

As far as I can tell 'Arabs' has never been an insulting word anywhere at anytime.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The word they use is 'Nee-go'

You are mishearing the word as something it isn't, as far as I can tell Negro (Spanish/Portuguese for black) is a perfectly acceptable word in most places in the world, and the mis-pronounced Thai version of the word equally so.

OK in Spain but arrested in UK. laugh.png

Getting called 'Farang' pisses me off but also prevents me giving a dam_n about Thais or Thailand so it's a double-edged sword; I actually have very different values here and behave in ways I'd never dream of doing back home - that's precisely why I'm here. Getting called farang is just one of those contributing factors - if Thais didn't do this I might care about them or their country but instead their behavior just reminds me that I'm not Thai and never will be - me getting annoyed is a small price to pay for the freedom it gives me. Fair is fair.

you sad, unhappy man.

This debate, more than any other highlights how bitter and dissociated an expat can get.

i am no more concerned about the majority of Thais than i was about my own countrymen.

in both places i took part in my community, be it with a smile, supporting local business or having my kid playing with one of the neighbors.

i think it would be pretty defeatist to get my panties in a knot over an essentially innocuous term.

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 2

What a load of politically correct codswallop is being expressed here. People upset by the use of this word probably used words like 'wop' and '<deleted>' in their youth as an insult. As long as you live here you will be a Farang, the word is not an insult. I remember a tale about Israeli athletes puzzled by the fact that Arabs (yes, Arabs, is that a naughty word also) at an Olympic event were hissing 'Jews, Jews' at them. They responded by saying, yes, we are Jews, so what? (Kishon).

You can interpret or use any adjective or noun in a negative way, you damned whitey, you slant eyed git, you blue eyed blond icy hearted Swede, you.

As long as you live here, until the end of your days, you will be a Farang, live with it. I sometimes buy Farang food, get upset about paying Farang prices, I find out if there are other Farangs living nearby if I go visit.. what word do you suggest they use as a replacement? How about <deleted>, that's a fairly universally unserstood word...

when i came to Thailand the first time (39 years ago) i was a Farang. since then i have visited Thailand numerous times and was always a Farang. since nearly 8 years i live permanently in Thailand as a Farang. and whatever time i have left to live in Thailand i will always be a Farang.

i am proud to be a Farang, insist on being a Farang and would consider it an insult if somebody insinuated i have mentally and physically resigned and adapted/integrated into a society, which i respect from a distance, but which is and will always be strange to me.

I'd rather to just be considered a human being or if a more defined label is needed, a kind hearted and tolerant person. Not really sure why all these other labels are needed in today's world of integration.

To label objects such as food as farang food, thai food, german food seems to be descriptive in nature but why all this labeling of humans? Sounds like terms used to keep us from considering ourselves of one race.. the human race.

Edited by Jayman