Poll: 83.6% Of Thais Agree To See Pm Yingluck Continue In Office

Lite Beer

Seems that whilst the majority of Thais are behind her,

Yes because you can really glean that from a poll of a couple of thousand people asking them in affect if they would like Yingluck to be deposed before the end of her term.

You have to remember that whilst the red shirts might think that it is ok to depose a PM by holding the city hostage and using violence, and whilst the military might think it is ok to depose a PM (albeit a caretaker PM) by rolling in the tanks and having a coup, not all Thai people think this way. Love her, or hate her, she is the PM, let her see out her term. That is the message i get from this poll.

• Like 2

Yes because you can really glean that from a poll of a couple of thousand people asking them in affect if they would like Yingluck to be deposed before the end of her term.

You have to remember that whilst the red shirts might think that it is ok to depose a PM by holding the city hostage and using violence, and whilst the military might think it is ok to depose a PM (albeit a caretaker PM) by rolling in the tanks and having a coup, not all Thai people think this way. Love her, or hate her, she is the PM, let her see out her term. That is the message i get from this poll.

And we farangs should not worry over it. Personally I couldn't care less who the P.M of Thailand is or the President of the U.S or any country. There will still be 90 day reporting and dual pricing etc so I just relax and couldn't care less. I don't have a voice in this and can't make a difference so no point getting worked up into a lather.wai.gif

• Like 1

And we farangs should not worry over it. Personally I couldn't care less who the P.M of Thailand is or the President of the U.S or any country. There will still be 90 day reporting and dual pricing etc so I just relax and couldn't care less. I don't have a voice in this and can't make a difference so no point getting worked up into a lather.wai.gif

I'm not worried, nor am i "in a lather". All i was doing was stating that there may well be a different interpretation to the poll from the - seems that whilst the majority of Thais are behind her - one you managed to extract.

30.9 percent are content with the Democrat Party’s work performance

I love how they point this out but are careful not reveal any statistics about the approval ratings for the PTP. Believing that Yingluck should be able to finish her term in office is quite different from approving of her performance. The great thing that most Thais, and especially the Thai government, don't realize: sometimes when you say nothing, you say everything.

while 80.3 percent said former-PM Thaksin Shinawatra should be allowed to return to Thailand to fight all his cases.

I wonder if this 80% realise that he IS allowed to return to Thailand to fight his cases.

What exactly do 80 per cent of the people think is stopping Thaksin from returning to fight his cases? He's practically teflon coated now.

As for Yingluck I'm happy enough to let her keep doing whatever it is she does. Don't forget who's crouching in the wings just waiting his chance......

Edited by bigbamboo

I'm not worried, nor am i "in a lather". All i was doing was stating that there may well be a different interpretation to the poll from the - seems that whilst the majority of Thais are behind her - one you managed to extract.

I wasn't refering to you my friend just myself saying I won't get worked up about it.thumbsup.gif

It is ridiculous that the Ratchada case is the reason he can't/ won't come back. The trial procedure was riddled with irregularities and blatant lack of due process. Simply declare the verdict invalid and offer a retrial.

Strange then that his lawyers neglected to file an appeal, when they had the opportunity, isn't it ? wink.png

Especially since he himself had such confidence, in the judges conduct & likelihood of a fair verdict, when the case was underway.

But I agree with you, that the result in that one case isn't the reason he refuses to return, even with his sister as PM, it's all the other cases (plus the jail-sentence already awarded) which deter him from coming home.

Edited by Ricardo

Perhaps most Thais just see Taksin as an irrelevance. An old has been clinging to what once was, and now the majority prefer his more charismatic sister.

Bird poo you said (and i'll paraphrase please excuse) That his original trial had irregularities and should be declared invalid and a new one initiated. Most Trials in Thailand have irregularities, with allegations of confessions obtained through torture, missing evidence (Chalerms sons case), intimidation of witnesses, corruption, money under the table (or in a cake box if your prefer), the police setting up individuals on the flimsiest of evidence [ the other paper had an editorial on this today] . Should all case with alleged irregularities be declared void and a retrial enacted. Or is this just a special one off for Taksin, the man of the people??

83.6 percent agreed to let PM Yingluck continue working in the government,

The forum red shirts are naturally falling over themselves to interpret this as meaning that 83.6% support Yingluck and think she is doing a good job. It may be interpreted that way, and it may also be interpreted as people having respect for democracy. It's quite possible to think that Yingluck is doing an abysmal job, but that in accordance with the basic principles of democracy, she be allowed to see out her term.

Funningly enough up to and including your post #18 there was only one person who may be regarded, no doubt by you and your peers, as a "forum red shirt" and he was actually questioning the Land deal and its relevance to Thaksin. A good deal more peoples posts though, including yours are questioning the validity of the poll and what it actually means. So far, your assertion that "The forum red shirts are naturally falling over themselves to interpret this as meaning that 83.6% support Yingluck and think she is doing a good job" is complete bunkum............

It is ridiculous that the Ratchada case is the reason he can't/ won't come back. The trial procedure was riddled with irregularities and blatant lack of due process. Simply declare the verdict invalid and offer a retrial.

What were the irregularities or lack of due process? I'm sure they would be well documented somewhere.

Sent from my HTC phone.

http://slimdogsworld.blogspot.com/

If you read it, read it all, it all comes together to make a very comprehensive document on the land deal, irregularities, lack of due process and all.

Up to you, I could care less.

Edited by phiphidon

83.6 percent agreed to let PM Yingluck continue working in the government,

The forum red shirts are naturally falling over themselves to interpret this as meaning that 83.6% support Yingluck and think she is doing a good job. It may be interpreted that way, and it may also be interpreted as people having respect for democracy. It's quite possible to think that Yingluck is doing an abysmal job, but that in accordance with the basic principles of democracy, she be allowed to see out her term.

Funningly enough up to and including your post #18 there was only one person who may be regarded, no doubt by you and your peers, as a "forum red shirt" and he was actually questioning the Land deal and its relevance to Thaksin. A good deal more peoples posts though, including yours are questioning the validity of the poll and what it actually means. So far, your assertion that "The forum red shirts are naturally falling over themselves to interpret this as meaning that 83.6% support Yingluck and think she is doing a good job" is complete bunkum............

For my two cents worth, I interpret the poll to mean people want some political stability as opposed to an interpretation of like / dislike or success / failure of the current administration. People just want to get one with life, without the continuous colour coded political tsunamis that parliament keeps throwing up.

Convenient timing for these ambiguous poll results - not long after a rather embarrassing PT defeat at the polls which matter.

A number of people on my Facebook timeline are currently asking if they could be included in future ABAC polls...

What were the irregularities or lack of due process? I'm sure they would be well documented somewhere.

Sent from my HTC phone.

If you read it, read it all, it all comes together to make a very comprehensive document on the land deal, irregularities, lack of due process and all.

Lack of due process in the investigation, maybe. But the actual crime seemed to be clear cut. The land was owned by the FIDF. The FIDF was overseen by the Finance Ministry. The constitution forbids someone (or their spouse) who has supervision over a state agency from entering into contracts with that agency.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Lack of due process in the investigation, maybe. But the actual crime seemed to be clear cut. The land was owned by the FIDF. The FIDF was overseen by the Finance Ministry. The constitution forbids someone (or their spouse) who has supervision over a state agency from entering into contracts with that agency.

Read further, there is testimony from a lady in the bank of thailand that states that the FIDF was an independant agent from the government. There is more of course about the pressure the junta brought to bear. As I said read all of it or don't come back on here trying to cherry pick arguments with me over various parts. You read all of it in a nonpartisan way and you'll see what a stitch up it was.

Read further, there is testimony from a lady in the bank of thailand that states that the FIDF was an independant agent from the government. There is more of course about the pressure the junta brought to bear. As I said read all of it or don't come back on here trying to cherry pick arguments with me over various parts. You read all of it in a nonpartisan way and you'll see what a stitch up it was.

But the FIDF wasn't an independent agent. It was under the Finance Ministry. That's why the government was responsible for the FIDF debt.

I read the link you gave me. I didn't realise there was more. I'll go back to it later.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Let's just face some pure raw facts here now, you can carry on muttering until dawn about who did which thing best, who hurt the country the most, who is the most corrupt and who is the most genuine.

Bottom line, she's a babe, and in a country that values image over substance, is it any great surprise that she remains popular.

(question mark omitted intentionally)

• Like 1

They obviously conducted the poll in Isaarn.

You can also bet Noppadon is biased and then to even 'throw in' 58+% are happy with the PTP health policy (???) and 30+% were happy with the Dems work policy? I mean what sort of poll is this? AND 80+% say it's okay to bring back the crim? <deleted>. Why not cut to the chase and admit this was a PR exercise as orchestrated by PTP. No way these stats are real... annoyed.gif

You expected what out of a Thai poll. Did you not know that Thailand is the hub for poll's that prove what ever you want them to prove.

Also it said

"80.3 percent said former-PM Thaksin Shinawatra should be allowed to return to Thailand to fight all his cases."

It was not to become a dictator it was to fight all his cases. Most of them know that he is guilty and they are not giving him a get out of jail card they want him in the court. They all know that he knows he is guilty and that is why he won't try to fight his cases.

He would have a hard time saying they are political when he is the real PM of Thailand.

In fact the whole thing looks funny cheesy.gif when you stop to think about it. In a court room facing charges of corruption while he is on the phone telling the cabinet what to do.cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Seems that whilst the majority of Thais are behind her, some farangs are a little upset that she has the support from the people that mater. Just can't understand why some farangs are upset with this as she is not the P.M of farangland.

She wouldn't even make a picture on a calendar in farong land.

You sure post a lot for some one who is just relaxing. I think deep down you might wish you could have say so over what is going on. That is why you mentioned a couple of minor points hate to see you in a major situation just relaxing.wai.gif

Seems that whilst the majority of Thais are behind her, some farangs are a little upset that she has the support from the people that mater. Just can't understand why some farangs are upset with this as she is not the P.M of farangland.

She wouldn't even make a picture on a calendar in farong land.

Well I doubt she even tried......but hey, if you think being on a calendar in the land of Farong (wherever that is) makes somebody special and worthy of note..........

Who am I to disagree.....

It's a welcome piece of comic relief to see the usual suspects twist and turn.Basically any indication that Yingluck's government is broadly popular simply doesn't compute for them so the reality must be processed for a result that suits them.Possible suggestions.

1.The last election was rigged.

2.Thaksin has bribed the ignorant peasants of the North and North East

3.All PTP votes were arranged by feudal barons,

4.The redshirts would not exist without Thaklsin's malevolent influence

5.There are no unelected elites and Thaksin is just another of them anyway.

6.The military serves the interests of the nation better than "dirty" politicians so who cares about polls anyway

7.Polls are not reliable because they are fixed by politicians

Anyway there are a few suggestions to be getting on with.

Edited by jayboy

It's a welcome piece of comic relief to see the usual suspects twist and turn.Basically any indication that Yingluck's government is broadly popular simply doesn't compute for them so the reality must be processed for a result that suits them.Possible suggestions.

6.The military serves the interests of the nation better than "dirty" politicians so who cares about polls anyway

Don't confuse Yingluk with the government . The rank and file like her perceived personal qualities, attractive,sweet, demure, compromising, working hard for the country, but apart from that?

Pheua Thai's policies are starting to look increasingly ugly, massive losses and corruption in the rice mortgage scheme, large corruption in flood compensation payments, the farce of the 3 hour battery life of the computer tablets with the teachers having to find 30 or 40 sockets in the classroom to recharge for 5 hours, etc.

How long can a pretty face hide the facts- let's wait another year.

Don't confuse Yingluk with the government . The rank and file like her perceived personal qualities, attractive,sweet, demure, compromising, working hard for the country, but apart from that?

Pheua Thai's policies are starting to look increasingly ugly, massive losses and corruption in the rice mortgage scheme, large corruption in flood compensation payments, the farce of the 3 hour battery life of the computer tablets with the teachers having to find 30 or 40 sockets in the classroom to recharge for 5 hours, etc.

How long can a pretty face hide the facts- let's wait another year.

OK that's a rational line of criticism, very rare on this forum.It would be great incidentally if there could be a measured discussion on the flood compensation corruption, an area where I am short on firm detail

Strange then that his lawyers neglected to file an appeal, when they had the opportunity, isn't it ? wink.png

The lawyers didn't neglect to. They were following the orders of their client

Thaksin won't appeal corruption conviction

Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will not appeal his conviction and two-year jail sentence for corruption, his lawyer said as the deadline passed for any legal action. Thaksin was on October 21 sentenced in absentia to two years in jail for conflict of interest after helping his then-wife Pojaman buy state-owned land when he was premier.

"I have been informed today that Thaksin will not appeal his case and that he will explain his reasons to his supporters soon," said Kamnuan Chalopatham, a member of Thaksin's legal team in Thailand. His lawyers had 30 days from the conviction to appeal to the Supreme Court. Thaksin is currently staying in Dubai, his aide said Monday (local time), after fleeing Thailand in August.

He had been living in Britain, but London this month revoked his visa, leaving the multi-millionaire scrambling around for a new home. The ousted leader is due to address his supporters in a telephone speech on December 14 to lay out his future plans, his allies have said. "Thaksin will talk to his supporters at National Stadium and will declare his political comeback," said Jatuporm Prompan, a leader of the pro-Thaksin group. "He will re-enter politics after he was ousted in the 2006 coup."

Thaksin's fortunes appeared to get bleaker when it was announced last week that he and his wife of 32 years were getting a divorce, although family and intelligence sources claimed the split was for financial or legal reasons.

- AFP 2008-11-18

Edited by Buchholz

Disappointing to see you take such a mocking and defensive attitude there jayboy, although one does become accustomed - particular to the defensive sentiment of yours that Yingluck seems eternally blessed and guaranteed to receive, no matter what she does.

I am not arguing that Yingluck doesn't have significant support or that she wasn't elected. Please don't mock me for things i don't believe. Do me that favour at least.

I am arguing that people being asked if she should remain in her job is not going to tell us much one way or the other, as it is quite possible to be of the feeling she should remain in her job, without also feeling that she is doing a good job.

And whilst we are on the subject of questionable questioning, your recent claim along the lines of "majority of Thai people want Thaksin back" was i believe based on, amongst no doubt other things, the poll question, "should Thaksin be allowed back to fight his cases". The question very blatantly implies that Thaksin is not being allowed to return. What's the next question? Perhaps: should Thaksin be imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit? And then when the overwhelming majority of people reply in the negative, we can declare that everyone thinks he is innocent.

If you are telling me you can see no problem with the way these questions were worded, i'm afraid i have to question how honest you are being.

• Like 2