1 Mil Pieces Of Pirated Products Worth Over 1.8 Billion Baht Officially Destroyed

webfact

Over 1 mil pieces of pirated products officially destroyed

BANGKOK, 10 September 2012 (NNT) – The Commerce Ministry has recently destroyed over 1 million pieces of pirated products, worth over 1.8 billion baht.

Deputy Minister of Commerce Poom Sarapol presided over the destruction ceremony for pirated goods with cases having been finalized in court.

Mr. Poom said that the ceremony is a cooperation between the government sector and the companies whose patents have been infringed.

Approximately 1.1 million pieces of pirated products were destroyed in the event. The products had a combined value of over 1.8 billion baht.

The goods destroyed include 450,000 items seized by the Royal Thai Police, 600,000 items by the Customs Department, and 71,000 items by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI). They weighed altogether about 90 tons.

The pirated products comprised clothes, bags, watches, shoes, auto-parts, tablets, laptops, video-cameras, cosmetic products, CDs and DVDs.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-10 footer_n.gif

laptops and cameras, why not give them to schools for free ???

ah yeah, "destroy" them, do they mean, spread amongst the policemen's families ?

no pictures of this "event" ?

1 million pieces worth 1.8 billion ?

last time i checked an illegal cd is sold 100 baht, but only worth 10

i guess this is just news to please those companies who think their profits were infringed...

• Like 1

I often wonder where the valuations come from, is it 1.8 billion baht divided across 1 million items.

1 x fake LV bag cost US $3.50 to manufacture: retail value B1,800

1x genuine LV bag costs $9.60 to manufacture: retail value B18,000

Or is 1 fake Ferrari going to be shown at full market value

• Like 2

A little birdy on the inside told me years ago that this annual photoshoot whereby a road roller runs over fake DVDs, software, and watches was staged for the visit of Microsoft representatives and other foreign companies. The contraband consists of old written off stock, reject DVDs, out of date software, watches and other faulty contraband goods. Looks good and fools the foreigners. Meanwhile, in the depths of most shopping malls in Thailand, business as usual.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me !!thumbsup.gif

I wonder if they know about Pantip Plazathumbsup.gif

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They put on their show, periodically, at Pantip. It's usually well announced to the big players.

You may notice that many of the Pantip software shops only display the wrappers. Nothing to confiscate. You usually have to order the CD/DVD and wait for it to materialize.

• Like 2

A little birdy on the inside told me years ago that this annual photoshoot whereby a road roller runs over fake DVDs, software, and watches was staged for the visit of Microsoft representatives and other foreign companies. The contraband consists of old written off stock, reject DVDs, out of date software, watches and other faulty contraband goods. Looks good and fools the foreigners. Meanwhile, in the depths of most shopping malls in Thailand, business as usual.

Has anyone ever seen DVD and CD copy machines destroyed???

D Day (destruction) happens occasionally for the press but rest assured there are quite a few souvenirs that make it in to the hands of low income earning B.i.B. which frankly I think is cool - they are on such shitty salaries. I am also sure some of the more elite items make it into the hands of elitist people who can afford to purchase at 10% of retail. Previous posts allude to the scabby Customs Department and they must have containers of unregistered contraband. I had some samples of a (very) rare product snaffled by Customs as I refused to pay a bribe. I saw these products in MBK 4 days later at half the retail rate. An obvious copy or were these mine? No idea.

Edited by asiawatcher

I often wonder where the valuations come from, is it 1.8 billion baht divided across 1 million items.

1 x fake LV bag cost US $3.50 to manufacture: retail value B1,800

1x genuine LV bag costs $9.60 to manufacture: retail value B18,000

Or is 1 fake Ferrari going to be shown at full market value

For sure it is!

wang-reventon-30-jian.n.jpg

laptops and cameras, why not give them to schools for free ???

ah yeah, "destroy" them, do they mean, spread amongst the policemen's families ?

no pictures of this "event" ?

1 million pieces worth 1.8 billion ?

last time i checked an illegal cd is sold 100 baht, but only worth 10

i guess this is just news to please those companies who think their profits were infringed...

Well, I personally met two British police officers on holiday in BKK with their families. They boasted to me how they were going to buy up on fake watches, DVDs, and fake brand name luxuries. Over a beer I suggested that they weren't fake, but were "genuine copies" ... they were sitting with their wives and kids. There were laughs all around. I guess that Police are the same all over the world !!!!

Gosh, is it September already?

I may have reported some years back stopping at Customs on my way out of the country with a (genuine) Rolex to get whatever was needed for my VAT refund. At least two of the officers were wearing the same model.