Cbr 500Cc Leaked Pic

greg71

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the ER-6 has 71 hp (53 kW) @ 8,500 rpm BHP (redline is at 11000 but HP trails off pretty quickly after 9500; see dyno below) ... per this thread the ER-6 reaches a low-ish 200. Don't know why everyone is expecting a bike that neatly splits the difference between the 250 and 650 classes in both price and performance, when neither of those classes offer up sports bikes, to be some fire breathing monster while still making Honda money in the important Euro restricted license and emerging Third World 'big bike' market. And no, the pokey CBR and Ninja 250s aren't real sports bikes...get over it as all manufacturers stopped making real sports bikes in that class with the demise of the inline 4s they offered..and while the ER-6 can be raced quite well it's no ZX.

There's a lot of people out there that really need to step back and consider what they're thinking.122_0908_14_z%2Bkawasaki_er-6n%2Bdyno.jpg

**edit**

And as long as the CB*500 has an honest to goodness 44 RWHP it will split the difference between the 250 and 650 class in that also...although if the 48 HP that has been floating around is BHP, I'd expect more like 42-43 RWHP..which is darn close in my book.

Edited by dave_boo

Dave, there are a few Youtube videos floating around of the new Ninja 300 doing an indicated 185kph. No doubt the real speed is less than that, but if we assume the real speed is closer to 170kph then it would be reasonable to assume that the CBR500 might do a bit more than that given it has over 50% more capacity.

I'm not knocking the bike, just giving my opinion on why some people may have expected a bit more that's all. It looks like it's been setup for a decent amount of torque so in fairness it should make up for a less than impressive top speed with some decent acceleration without having to use the gearbox too much. All very practical.

Dave, there are a few Youtube videos floating around of the new Ninja 300 doing an indicated 185kph. No doubt the real speed is less than that, but if we assume the real speed is closer to 170kph then it would be reasonable to assume that the CBR500 might do a bit more than that given it has over 50% more capacity.

I'm not knocking the bike, just giving my opinion on why some people may have expected a bit more that's all. It looks like it's been setup for a decent amount of torque so in fairness it should make up for a less than impressive top speed with some decent acceleration without having to use the gearbox too much. All very practical.

And that's a valid question. Is the 180 a real GPS number? Is it indicated? A +8% over GPS for an indicated speed (seems an awful lot of bikes have that 'correction' built in) would have 195 on the speedo...well within the apparent range offered by the instrumentation. It does beg to question the reasoning behind it. I also find it hard to believe that a bike with similar egos and +50% more rated power (we all know that the Ninja is only good for ~26 RWHP and the CB*500 should be good for at least 39 RWHP) should only have the 'same' top speed.

Mr gripe is with those that are just getting their panties in a twist because Honda is not releasing the bike that THEY want at the cheap charlie price THEY want to pay. In my mind it's quite pathetic. If they want a factory supported, fully legal, bike in Thailand that is a supersport, they need to look at the BMW S 1000 R (retails for 940 000THB), Ducati **whatever supersport** (retails from 928 000 to 2 050 000THB), Honda CBR 1000R (retails for 799 000THB), Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (retails for 799 000THB) or the Triumph Speed Triple (retails for 870 000THB or +100K for the "R" model). To think you're going to get something that will excite you for 1/4 of those prices is quite naive and possibly the stupidest thing I've heard today. To get on a forum and b!tch that manufacturers don't produce bikes (that they need to sell well to keep their stockholders) that you want, when there are options if you just open your wallet, is the whole definition of a troll, isn't it?

**edit**

On my Ninja, fully tucked in with the Power Commander and Supercorsas being the only mods, I got it up past 160 (think it was 162). So if the Ninja 250 can do an honest 16* and the ER-6 can do an honest 20*, than once again the CB*500 splits the difference assuming an honest 180...

Edited by dave_boo
  • Like 1

Yeah a 'real' 180 wouldn't be too surprising.

On your other point, I think it's normal for people to get a bit frustrated at the ridiculous prices for a decent bike here, especially as the extra money is mostly just 'luxury' tax. That's not the manufacturers fault per se although I do think they overprice the imports a bit as well bearing in mind that the likes of RedBaron can undercut them by over 100,000 baht on many models and still make a healthy profit.

You seem to be saying that people should just accept this, shut up and bend over - and if they air their frustrations then they are just a troll. Not really a fair assessment of the situation IMO.

Back to the CBR500, did anyone take advantage of the test rides last week. I was going to have a ride myself seeing as Big Wing is so close to my condo but I was ill with flu the last 4 days so I missed the chance. Be good to hear the thoughts of anyone who rode one.

On your other point, I think it's normal for people to get a bit frustrated at the ridiculous prices for a decent bike here, especially as the extra money is mostly just 'luxury' tax. That's not the manufacturers fault per se although I do think they overprice the imports a bit as well bearing in mind that the likes of RedBaron can undercut them by over 100,000 baht on many models and still make a healthy profit.

You seem to be saying that people should just accept this, shut up and bend over - and if they air their frustrations then they are just a troll. Not really a fair assessment of the situation IMO.

Back to the CBR500, did anyone take advantage of the test rides last week. I was going to have a ride myself seeing as Big Wing is so close to my condo but I was ill with flu the last 4 days so I missed the chance. Be good to hear the thoughts of anyone who rode one.

I went by on Saturday for a test ride, but there were way too many people. Everyone who rode it seemed to like it though.

I think a troll is someone who contradicts others for their own entertainment, often without an in depth knowledge of the subject, but often gleaned from unauthenticated sources, arguing for arguments sake, if you will. Any discussion without petty argument is valid comment - IMHO. Anyways, at the end of the day the 500 is what it is and if it brings more affordable, useful performance motorcycles to a country that is short on reasonably priced bikes that has to be a good thing. Hopefully, with the advent of ASEAN and manufacturers looking to cut their wage bill by opening production facilities in Asia we will see more decent, well priced bikes here.

Dear Forumers, I seems to have stumbled upon some confusion over here. CBR500R.

I was about to buy 250R but then my wifes uncle gave me 2009 CB SuperFour to try out and I loved it. He then told me about CBR 500R for sale which I didnt even know existed.

Now on 250R I was able to manage about 160kmh, so why is it CBR 500R which should have more power only states top speed at 105mpg (168 kph), is it limited or something???. By no means I do not look for 200+ kmp bike but considering the price difference between the two is almost 70k only 8kph difference between them doesnt seems like it is worth to pony up extra 70k.

Edited by sup3r1or

Well, for one thing, the acceleration of the 500 will be much better than the 250.

The sound of it though is still quite similar to 250R, which is a shame I hope that can be fixed with a decent exchaust. That CB SuperFour I rode had japanese pipe and sounded just amazing (not yoshimura). Is CB 500F also limited to 170?

By the way I was told by BigWing Bangkok that Chiang Mai brand is opening on 22nd of December.

I was about to buy 250R but then my wifes uncle gave me 2009 CB SuperFour to try out and I loved it. He then told me about CBR 500R for sale which I didnt even know existed.

Now on 250R I was able to manage about 160kmh, so why is it CBR 500R which should have more power only states top speed at 105mpg (168 kph), is it limited or something???. By no means I do not look for 200+ kmp bike but considering the price difference between the two is almost 70k only 8kph difference between them doesnt seems like it is worth to pony up extra 70k.

There are such widely varying reports about top speed it's quite hard to know what to believe. It's doubtful, in my mind, that it's only a 168 kph bike; but assuming it is than it's a real 168 rather than the reported 160 on the 250. A Brian mentioned earlier it will be much quicker to accelerate. It will also handle 2 up riding with greater aplomb.

Oh, and the CB400s that are floating around the kingdom are usually in such poor shape they're barely better than the current 250s. There are of course exceptions to that generalisation, but it's mostly true.

The way I see it, it is a luxury tax. Considering all the great pricing on everything else where do you think the government should raise tax money (after it's filtered through various 'tea' funds of course)? Seems a pretty good trade off to me; the essentials are peanuts here and 'toys' are going to cost more. Overall, that is the essentials + toys, still is less than living in your home country, isn't it? Or do you think that everyone else in the kingdom should pay more for essentials so that 'toys' are more in line with your expectations of their cost?

I am not privy to all the financial transactions that manufacturers have to go through (BOI, insurance, etc) vis a vis Red Baron; nor am I totally clear on the new/used sales that Red Baron engages in, but I'm sure it's not as simple as "for the exact same model, out of the box with a full dealer warranty and another bike waiting in the wings to replace a possible lemon, Red Baron undercuts the dealers by 12%".

It's not a big thing to mention the pricing differences or even the price to performance difference for another bike between the West and the kingdom, but to repeat ad nauseum without contributing to the thread is a bit trollish. And when boardmembers do it only in certain threads (can you point out any "for the price of the ER-6/Versys/Ninja you can get **** in the West...and the ER-6/Versys/Ninja is crap because it doesn't have adjustable suspension or a 12000 RPM redline or whatever" by any boardmember who is spamming this thread with similar comments?) that's seems to be a pretty clear cut case of trolling. If you can find a boardmember who has complained about the 500 more than twice in this thread making a similar comment (doesn't even have to be an equal number of times...simply once) than your point about fair assesments will be validated and I'll eat my words.

There are such widely varying reports about top speed it's quite hard to know what to believe. It's doubtful, in my mind, that it's only a 168 kph bike; but assuming it is than it's a real 168 rather than the reported 160 on the 250. A Brian mentioned earlier it will be much quicker to accelerate. It will also handle 2 up riding with greater aplomb.

Oh, and the CB400s that are floating around the kingdom are usually in such poor shape they're barely better than the current 250s. There are of course exceptions to that generalisation, but it's mostly true.

I wonder if it will be possible to do a few mods to make it go closer to 200. I mean the bike looks tops, but speed is the issue, not that I plan to drive at 160 but its nice to have it just in case.

By the way that SuperFour was import from japan and its modified version with new exhaust and suspension as well as filters. Sounds and goes like nothing I have driven before.

I saw Yoshimura exchaust on CBR250 and honestly I see it as a waste of money it only makes the bike sound louder but nothing near superbike sound.

Still makes me wonder its 100cc difference between this and 600R I know engines are different but still, it will be kind of shameful if this will be slower than my wifes uncles 3 year old SuperFour

Is there a "real top speed"? Doesn't top speed depend on a lot of things, even on the same, totally stock bike? Size and weight of the rider. Clothes he is wearing. Fully tucked in or "normal" riding position Tire pressure. Wind of course. And maybe even the weather, humid or dry, air pressure maybe. I don't know, it doesn't interest me very much. But most top speeds i hear from the owners are very "optimistic" imo. I only believe what i read on my real GPS, a Garmin 60CSx, not a dubious smartphone app :)

Dave, I think there have been quite a few comments about the er6n by various members, even owners along the lines of "I wouldn't even look at this bike in the West but I have one here because it's a cheap and logical choice". I'm not sure if it's the same people that are disappointed with this bike or not - I won't try to find them as it's a moot point in any case.

Not sure why you're so defensive about this bike, I know you love Honda and all that but it seems that a few comments from disappointed bike enthusiasts has really riled you. Chill out dude, it's just the interweb and this is what forums are for, you can't expect the thread to be a massive love fest for your insatiable appetite of all things Honda smile.png. Most comments have been pretty positive, mine included - but you have to accept some negative comments as well that's life I'm afraid.

As for raising revenue without 'luxury tax' on things like big bikes, of course I don't expect people to pay more for essentials to fund my toys - that is a straw man argument as you well know. Eliminating 1% of the corruption would raise far more funds than luxury tax on the few thousand big bikes sold per year.

SumetCycle - good to hear that the reviews have been mainly positive from the first batch of test rides. Won't be long now until we get some reviews from the forum members...

Well, for one thing, the acceleration of the 500 will be much better than the 250.

The sound of it though is still quite similar to 250R, which is a shame I hope that can be fixed with a decent exchaust. That CB SuperFour I rode had japanese pipe and sounded just amazing (not yoshimura). Is CB 500F also limited to 170?

By the way I was told by BigWing Bangkok that Chiang Mai brand is opening on 22nd of December.

You won't make a parallel twin sound like an CB superFour by changing the exhaust. It's a different engine configuration. You can improve the sound of a twin but you won't get it sounding like a 4 cylinder bike unfortunately.

The sound of it though is still quite similar to 250R, which is a shame I hope that can be fixed with a decent exchaust. That CB SuperFour I rode had japanese pipe and sounded just amazing (not yoshimura).

You are comparing completely different style engines.

The sound of a 67x66.8mm twin is never going to sound like a 55x42mm four cylinder

EDIT: Ah I see JonnyF beat me to it :)

Edited by mania

Nice enough test ride vid. I think I'll wait until there's one to rent for the day and hit the road to Kan or Khai Yai. :)

Could well be from the mic (position/quality) but it sounds much more like a thumper. 3:15 on, when he stops.

I'm sure a pipe will make it sound much better, after all the N250 P-Twin sounds great with a change of can, but think the CBR twin is more like the Er-6's (180 degrees?)

With the issue of it being low revving, the Er-6's which have a similar powerband are not designed to look like, or are branded as sport's bikes.

Nice enough test ride vid. I think I'll wait until there's one to rent for the day and hit the road to Kan or Khai Yai. smile.png

Could well be from the mic (position/quality) but it sounds much more like a thumper. 3:15 on, when he stops.

I'm sure a pipe will make it sound much better, after all the N250 P-Twin sounds great with a change of can, but think the CBR twin is more like the Er-6's (180 degrees?)

With the issue of it being low revving, the Er-6's which have a similar powerband are not designed to look like, or are branded as sport's bikes.

I think it will sound like a thumper due to its square engine

bore/stroke wise.

Actually it should sound basically like a cbr250 but double

as it shares the exact same bore & stroke as the 250 x 2 cyl

Test ride for a day sounds like a good plan

Edited by mania

^ You know more than me.

I think the N250's sound great with a change of can, but the Er-6's not, despite both being p-twins.

I think the Er-6's are 180 degree, but the N250's aren't. Does this make a difference to the (type of) sound produced?

Edited by cbrer

^ You know more than me.

I think the N250's sound great with a change of can, but the Er-6's not, despite both being p-twins.

I think the Er-6's are 180 degree, but the N250's aren't. Does this make a difference to the (type of) sound produced?

Again you can look at bore & stroke & see why

The N250 has a bore & stroke of 62 x 41.2

62 / 41.2= 1.50 so a decent high rev engine

The Kawasaki 650 is 83 / 60= 1.38

A CBR500 67 / 66.8 = 1.00

The closer you are to 1 the more thumper you are

For instance look at a decent screamer like a 4 cylinder Honda 600RR

Bore & stroke of 67 / 42.5 or a final number of 1.57

Pretty close to the N250 eh?

PS: I do not mean to imply Thumpers are a bad thing

Edit : Sorry I blew that on the 500 vs 650 final numbers

Have corrected them tongue.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Questions on this bike please:

1 - Is the handle bar position on the CBR500R the same as the CBR250R or is the CBR500R handle bars slightly higher? In the photos the CBR500R looks like more of a sport touring riding position than the CBR250R.

2 - Would an aftermarket slip on exhaust that fits the CBR250R also fit the CBR500R, or are the exhaust systems considerably different?

3 - Is there somewhere in Bangkok where one can see one of these bikes on display and sit on it?

4 - When and where in Bangkok can someone easily buy one or are they not really available yet? And if not available, when should they be readily available on the market?

Thanks.

Edited by WingNut

^ You know more than me.

The N250 has a bore & stroke of 62x41.2

62/41.2= 1.50 so a decent high rev engine

The Kawasaki 650 is 83x60 which actually

shares the exact same final number as a CBR500 67x66.8

Meaning if you take their respective bores divided by stroke you get 1.38

The closer you are to 1 the more thumper you are smile.png

For instance look at a decent screamer like a 4 cylinder Honda 600RR

Bore & stroke of 67x 42.5 or a final number of 1.57

Pretty close to the N250 eh? wink.png

PS: I do not mean to imply Thumpers are a bad thing

Didn't realize that from a tech point of view, but from a 'seat of the pants' perspective my Ninja 250 sounds great with the Area P full system on it between 8k and 11k rpm. Not as good as the Gixxer but not that far off. In contrast the er6 always sounded a bit rough to me no matter what the exhaust, not that bad but not great either, one of the reasons I didn't upgrade the 250 in 2010-2011 when the er6 was released. The CBR250 always sounded totally lame to me even with aftermarket exhausts, kind of like those Scooters the Thai kids ride with a stupid rainbow coloured exhaust.

I thought the CBR500 sounded ok in that video given it was a stock exhaust (I assume). I'm guessing you could get a decent sound out of that with a decent aftermarket pipe.

Didn't realize that from a tech point of view, but from a 'seat of the pants' perspective my Ninja 250 sounds great with the Area P full system on it between 8k and 11k rpm. Not as good as the Gixxer but not that far off. In contrast the er6 always sounded a bit rough to me no matter what the exhaust, not that bad but not great either, one of the reasons I didn't upgrade the 250 in 2010-2011 when the er6 was released. The CBR250 always sounded totally lame to me even with aftermarket exhausts, kind of like those Scooters the Thai kids ride with a stupid rainbow coloured exhaust.

I thought the CBR500 sounded ok in that video given it was a stock exhaust (I assume). I'm guessing you could get a decent sound out of that with a decent aftermarket pipe.

Yeah you know I thought the 500 sounded good too in that video.

I do not expect it to be a rever but it had a nice tone I thought.

Funny too that you did in fact notice it in your own comparisons regarding

a certain sounding engine. But yeah it is true revs produce a tone that is different than

closer to square engines or thumpers.

But Thumpers are not bad just different tone & power delivery characteristics

They usually kill torque wise usually having gobs of it. Which can be a lot of fun.

Also easy to ride as you can usually lug a higher gear at lower speeds

which is great for folks in traffic or town etc.

PS: you know you said you did not like the er650 or the cbr250 exhaust note?

They have the exact same 1.38 Bore/Stroke number smile.png

Edited by mania

Is there a "real top speed"? Doesn't top speed depend on a lot of things, even on the same, totally stock bike? Size and weight of the rider. Clothes he is wearing. Fully tucked in or "normal" riding position Tire pressure. Wind of course. And maybe even the weather, humid or dry, air pressure maybe. I don't know, it doesn't interest me very much. But most top speeds i hear from the owners are very "optimistic" imo. I only believe what i read on my real GPS, a Garmin 60CSx, not a dubious smartphone app smile.png

'Real top speed' is a verifiable speed...not based on the speedo. Hence my talking about my GPS speeds. Apologies if I was not implicit about that.

Dave, I think there have been quite a few comments about the er6n by various members, even owners along the lines of "I wouldn't even look at this bike in the West but I have one here because it's a cheap and logical choice". I'm not sure if it's the same people that are disappointed with this bike or not - I won't try to find them as it's a moot point in any case.

Not sure why you're so defensive about this bike, I know you love Honda and all that but it seems that a few comments from disappointed bike enthusiasts has really riled you. Chill out dude, it's just the interweb and this is what forums are for, you can't expect the thread to be a massive love fest for your insatiable appetite of all things Honda smile.png. Most comments have been pretty positive, mine included - but you have to accept some negative comments as well that's life I'm afraid.

As for raising revenue without 'luxury tax' on things like big bikes, of course I don't expect people to pay more for essentials to fund my toys - that is a straw man argument as you well know. Eliminating 1% of the corruption would raise far more funds than luxury tax on the few thousand big bikes sold per year.

SumetCycle - good to hear that the reviews have been mainly positive from the first batch of test rides. Won't be long now until we get some reviews from the forum members...

A claim that one assumes there's evidences, with an immediate follow up of a denial that failure to provide evidence of certain posters' balance does not equate negation of the assertion those posters have demonstrated the exact thing you desire to accuse me of; namely fanboism with a provicility towards trolling the other manufacturer's thread. And regarding 'chilling out dude', I'm a pretty mellow dude and accept negative comments. To post that one has to accept those negative comments while telling them they shouldn't respond to them seems a bit like stating one set of opinions is allowed to flourish and the rest are invalid.

And to cut off the nonsense about my posting habits, I've posted both the negatives and positives about every bike in any thread I've been in. And those points were mostly empirical data. I have not reiterated points to drive up my post tallies nor have I spammed threads for bikes that I obviously dislike...unlike certain posters who have become failry notrious for doing the same thing.

Corruption is a huge issue and something I mentioned in passing; but to assume that those 'luxury taxes' apply to your 'toy' of choice is breath-takingly self-centered and definitely reinforces my point.

FWIW, the sound carachteristic of an mutli-cylinder engine is determined by its firing order. Both the CB*500 and the ER-6 have 180 degree engines from what I've been able to glean.

I wonder if it will be possible to do a few mods to make it go closer to 200. I mean the bike looks tops, but speed is the issue, not that I plan to drive at 160 but its nice to have it just in case.

By the way that SuperFour was import from japan and its modified version with new exhaust and suspension as well as filters. Sounds and goes like nothing I have driven before.

I saw Yoshimura exchaust on CBR250 and honestly I see it as a waste of money it only makes the bike sound louder but nothing near superbike sound.

Still makes me wonder its 100cc difference between this and 600R I know engines are different but still, it will be kind of shameful if this will be slower than my wifes uncles 3 year old SuperFour

If that cb400 coming from japan, it has a limiter which limits the bike to 190 kmh.

Are you sure is it removed?

Test ride video looks good. Bike sounds good to imo especially when revved.

Torque is better for me than a high reving hp bike.

Cbr500 is good while hunting for a reasonable inline four. Better than waiting with a cbr250 pricewise.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Thaivisa Connect App

FWIW, the sound carachteristic of an mutli-cylinder engine is determined by its firing order. Both the CB*500 and the ER-6 have 180 degree engines from what I've been able to glean.

Interesting you say that. I was reading up a bit on it earlier. You'll have to pardon my lack of proper lingo but it seems the CB*500 and Er-6's P-Twins both fire at the same time, both pistons go up and down in unison,so give a thumper like sound, where the N250 doesn't, its pistons fire in turns so one goes down as one goes up, giving a more even, less thumper like sound.

Edited by cbrer