Big Bribery Case In The Village

cooked

I got angry, really angry for the first time today since I got here when my wife came into the house with a big smile, a bottle of Chang and ฿100.-.

Some kind of voting going on in the village soon and this was payment for a vote. We don't like the guy anyway.

I sent her back. I am trying to cool down now, as is my wife, hence the posting.

I think I will run for office myself next year..

I got angry, really angry for the first time today since I got here when my wife came into the house with a big smile, a bottle of Chang and ฿100.-.

Some kind of voting going on in the village soon and this was payment for a vote. We don't like the guy anyway.

I sent her back. I am trying to cool down now, as is my wife, hence the posting.

I think I will run for office myself next year..

As long as you live here, until the end of your days, this will happen, live with it. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

No problem in accepting the bribe at all and voting for the other person. I've seen that happen lots of times. On the other hand, if you really do not like this other guy, I can't say I blame you for sending it back.

BUT, did she give it back or give the Chang to a friend and pocket the money? whistling.gif

Not surprised about the bribery in villages. My brother-in-law is an 'elected local councillor' for our village together with my wifes's cousine. Apparently this is for a four year term then elections start again. The monthly wage is 5,000B a month. When the time comes for re-election they pay the villagers about 200B for their vote. This happens again for the larger council in the towns/provinces but then payments are in the region of 500B per villager. To me this is insane because the amount they pay out for votes can be many thousands of Baht for very little pay but then again I suppose there are other perks.

But as we all know there is NO corruption in Thailand.

P.s. Though relatives of my wife the local village council officials are a waste of space and do very little for the village.

To me this is insane because the amount they pay out for votes can be many thousands of Baht for very little pay but then again I suppose there are other perks.

Because once in office they accept ridiculously overpriced construction projects and pay way over the top for land purchases; and rake in huge kick backs for doing it, not to mention going on all expenses paid vacations around the world every month.

To me this is insane because the amount they pay out for votes can be many thousands of Baht for very little pay but then again I suppose there are other perks.

Because once in office they accept ridiculously overpriced construction projects and pay way over the top for land purchases; and rake in huge kick backs for doing it, not to mention going on all expenses paid vacations around the world every month.

Ummm...maybe...whistling.gif

Somehow I doubt village officials get much opportunity for this kind of thing. Benefits will be a bit closer to home, methinks.

It is customary for local politicians to give presents or tokens of appreciation to the general public. It is done in a public manner, out in the open.

Although inappropriate in the eyes of some westerners, this is the local custom. Is it any different than the western politicians pig roast and bbq, or meet and greet reception where there is food and booze? In this case it is a bottle of chang and 100B. No one is obliged to vote for the candidate and I believe the political opponent would be offering similar.

The optics are indeed bad, but instead of an expensive government project such as the infamous Republican Senator's Alaska Highway to Nowhere, the cash is smaller and goes direct to the population.

• Like 2

Just because you dont agree with it doesnt make it or them wrong, just different. its a tradition thats been going on for years, its the way they do things here, accept it, dont sit in judgement just live and let live.

You'll never have a say here ever, because you are not Thai, so dont stress over it.

Personally if thats what your wife wants to do that's her decision not yours, and you should not have made her do anything or try to impose your western standards or beliefs on a foreign culture just go with the flow, you are a guest and nothing more. As your wife of course you have an opinion but that's all it should be "Your opinion".

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

Just because you dont agree with it doesnt make it or them wrong, just different. its a tradition thats been going on for years, its the way they do things here, accept it, dont sit in judgement just live and let live.

You'll never have a say here ever, because you are not Thai, so dont stress over it.

Personally if thats what your wife wants to do that's her decision not yours, and you should not have made her do anything or try to impose your western standards or beliefs on a foreign culture just go with the flow, you are a guest and nothing more. As your wife of course you have an opinion but that's all it should be "Your opinion".

yes yes, I know. I give bribes but I don't accept them.

I don't know, I figure at least they're honest and upfront about it here. Better than in the West, where there's all the propaganda, fake smiles, and cloak & dagger bullshit. End of the day, both sides are buying votes. Difference being, Thais don't bother dancing around with their hand on your ass as much. They just get right to the point.

Edited by cdnmatt

I don't know, I figure at least they're honest and upfront about it here. Better than in the West, where there's all the propaganda, fake smiles, and cloak & dagger bullshit. End of the day, both sides are buying votes. Difference being, Thais don't bother dancing around with their hand on your ass as much. They just get right to the point.

Problem is, the guy who wants a vote is not putting up the vote money. A ''creamer'' is. sad.png

to the OP, why don't you like him?

He won't cut the bamboo that is, any day now, going to fall on our roof, electrical leads, water tank and TV antenna. Not that it's any business of yours...

lol, you still seem a bit wound up...have a chang and calm down thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I find it ever more peculiar that Farang come here and go to live in village, then expect to find the same practices they would see where they come from. If you wish to live in the Boonies with these folk then you have to accept their way of doing things, and getting angry with wifey won't help or change anything at all. Anyone who thinks they can 'Westernise' the locals may just as well start packing their bags !

• Like 1