Read It And Weep...

cowslip

Didn't see anything in Thailand.........coffee1.gif

Does Thailand have to wait before it has species of plants and animals on this list? just becouse they are not in the top 100 does not mean the situation isn't critical.

Thailand has virtually no conservation policies and whilst signing all sorts of international agreements on conservation etc., is still taking actions that will directly affect endangered species in their own country.

THe most notable example is the Corbetts Tiger of which about 150 to 300 exist in and around Thailand.

Didn't see anything in Thailand.........coffee1.gif

Does Thailand have to wait before it has species of plants and animals on this list? just becouse they are not in the top 100 does not mean the situation isn't critical.

Thailand has virtually no conservation policies and whilst signing all sorts of international agreements on conservation etc., is still taking actions that will directly affect endangered species in their own country.

THe most notable example is the Corbetts Tiger of which about 150 to 300 exist in and around Thailand.

Then why did you not say something like that in your original post - it would have made it a lot more relevant

Just saying.....

Exactly what, as visitors to this country, would you like us to do about it? Or is this directed at the Thais on this forum only (to keep it Thai related that is)?

Sorry I can't stop for longer but I have to go and do some work. Insensitive answer? Reality of this world we live in.....................thumbsup.gif

Or would you prefer that we didn't go to work and start a demonstration somewhere?

When the people employed to protect the nations assets, its wildlife, flora and fauna, are totally inept at what they do, how can one expect the general public to be any better.

Usually the people chosen to be employed in such fields have a great desire to conserve and protect, not here.

The management of parks needs to be overhauled and some western measures employed and people sent overseas to see and learn how it is done and should be done.

There are 3 out of the 100 listed that are indicated to be found in Thailand; 1 is found only in Thailand. From the link:

Somphongs's rasbora

Population size:

Unknown

Range:

Mae Khlong basin, Thailand

Primary threats:

Habitat loss and degradation from farmland conversion and urbanization

Action required:

Wetland restoration

Pangasid catfish

Population size:

Unknown

Range:

Chao Phraya and Mekong basins in Cambodia, China, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam

Primary threats:

Overfishing and collection for aquarium trade

Action required:

Protection from overfishing and collection

Chinese crested tern

Population size:

<50 mature individuals

Range:

Breeding in Zhejiang and Fujian, China, and outside breeding season in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand

Primary threats:

Egg collection and habitat destruction

Action required:

Protect breeding sites, strengthen legal protection status and raise awareness at breeding colonies

Bio-diversity matters to all of us, even those who are too blind to realise this. Those who are not interested in the plight of endangered flora and fauna just now may well become so too late when they come down with a disease that could have been cured by chemical compounds only found in extinct flora and fauna.

I think every wild creature in Thailand is endangered and no Im not joking. Not like the rest of Asia is any better.

They're just catching up with the West

rather than "caching up" wouldn't it be better first to learn form the mistakes of the west and then take a leaf out of the wealth of scientific research and knowledge the West has subsequently developed?

it's available to all.

Edited by cowslip

I think for the reasons above it is terribly sad that someone on this thread couldn't see the relationship of this list to Thailand - it shows that extreme ignorance of how the lackadaisical attitude of Thailand affects ALL conservation is not restricted to Thai people alone. .... the issues are not restricted by national barriers and Thailand's inactivity on this subject is lamentable

Edited by cowslip

If a long believed to be extinct Orchid is rediscovered in Thailand somewhere, you will find it in the markets a week later, thus ensuring its definite extinction. It is very difficult to explain to Thais (not all of them) why killing everything that moves because a) you can eat it or B) you can't eat it so it should be eliminated, isn't a good idea.

I decided to marry my wife when she put a turtle we found on the road back into a pool and not the cooking pot.

what about a honest bar girl,now there's an endangered speciesclap2.gif

Bordering on mythical - like the Yeti. sad.png

Have heard about a few like that. Apparently their big feet gave them away and they had to leave the trade...............sad.png

• Like 2

Poor people that live in the mountains hunt orchid and game. Hard to tell poor people who have no other means of income they can't take the stuff. Well, it is well understod believe me, they know they will go to the monkey-house, but do so anyway.

Thailand is a mixed bag of preservation of lands and wildlife. Usualy though - not much positive to report.

My Thai wife is amazed at all the wildlife in the US. She loves it and understands the importance of protecting it. At first she wanted to eat all the small crabs - but then I explained that we have so many crabs becasue we do not eat the small ones. Further, it had ben years since I had crabed and the numbers and sizes are down so I also tossed back the females.

We saw deer and elk in the grand canyon. Loads of other wildlife by my folks place on the Chesapeake. Nature is a big draw for us to return.

Nature in Asia is at best snakes, birds and land crabs. Oceans are fished out and what has not died with the coral bleaching/destruction in last few years??

National Parks staff are under funded and have zero ability to stop poachers. Unlike in US, they have little power and do not carry weapons. They are usually not the problem (unlike when those tigers turned up in Bangladesh recently). My experience is that rangers make scant money but if they were caught poaching - their career is finished.

They want to care but are not given any authority. You also have to realize that people hold grudges and if you send someone to jail - they may very well come back and kill you in the night.

Bangkokburning, I agree with all you wrote but for this: “…and have zero ability to stop poachers. Unlike in US, they have little power and do not carry weapons.” I have lived beside a park rangers station for 16 years (Tiger-Pass Creek Station, Mae Wong National Park) and can assure you that all rangers are armed. I have no firearms experience so can only describe the guns as rifles. The rangers also carry their weapons between home and work to protect themselves against revenge attacks. They do, in fact, arrest violators in the park. Some of these arrests result in negotiated bribes and others in jail time and forfeit of guns and vehicles used. Like any other job, there are some bad apples – some rangers do shoot small animals such as squirrels in the park.

I believe the best (possibly only) solution is to tackle attitudes by forming attitudes in the youth. The rangers should regularly invite small groups of school children into the park to demonstrate the beauty of the forest and the importance of bio-diversity.

I am heartened by very recent reports by my daughter and my wife of attitudes in my district, Mae Wong, Nakhon Sawan. My 16 year old daughter told me that a large student audience in Mae Wong high school, during an ad-hoc discussion on the matter, voted 100% against the Mae Wong Dam project being aggressively pushed by Yingluck, despite opposition by their head teacher who spoke for the project and ordered the discussion to cease. Similarly, my wife reported yesterday that a book had been placed in our village by an outside group asking for signatures in support of Yingluck’s push for the dam: after several days on display, the book was returned without a single signature.

The Mae Wong Dam project is being pushed by vested interests, by those who have been waiting for the construction contract (I personally know the family concerned and otherwise like them) for many years and those who are salivating at the prospect of trading the immense valuable timber that must be logged.

After decades of absence, tigers are now being reported in the Mae Wong forest, having migrated from the adjacent Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary.

The only ordinary people who support the project are those, like the head teacher referred to, that live in another district (Lat Yao, Nakhon Sawan) in a location affected by annual floods some 60km down-river from the proposed dam. The dam could well resolve their difficulties but there are other potential solutions that don’t appear to have been pursued since the main purpose of the dam, in my opinion, is not its benefit to anyone other than the vested interest of the exploiters.

and stuff that doesn't that can be sold for medicine or magic trinkets.

Pangolin cannot taste good!

I stand corrected as my experience with rangers while pretty extensive is in the Andaman only can tell you they are pretty powerless. I even met a woman from the = of US FDA once and she laughed at my notion that Thailand should really make a dam_n effort to get the fish traps out of the NPs. She said - yeah, if you want to die.

My big beef up north and borders is all the logging of old growth forests. Kills everything.

Edited by bangkokburning

Many years ago I was in Korea hiking to some old temple. There was a big group of people crowded round. I went over to see what all the fuss was about.

Someone was feeding sparrows.

That's what the children's experience with nature had been reduced to.

Sad.

It could have been worse, they could have been feeding the sparrows to something...............sad.png

Would it not be ironic if they were being feed to an endangered species? Children's introduction to the death of one for the survival of another.

Can be a jungle out there!

BTW, I am 100% behind conservation, the above comments are just from where my head is at this moment, no offence intended.

Death is as natural as life. Nothing is forever, only change. Throughout history, types of animals, humans, plants, etc, have come and gone and it will continue. With an evolving world it is foolish to think everything that exists now will survive the coming changes. There is nothing wrong with trying to keep species alive, as long as the total cost of the conservation is reasonable or there is some compelling benefit to be had. I do think we should be aware of which species are endangered.

However, I don't think we should be weeping for species that go extinct, otherwise your eyes will never dry. Instead, we should appreciate the time we have with them. It pains me when I see more focus and public awareness on the loss of certain flower species than when the final speaker of an ancient language dies (happens all the time).