Sending Money To A Friend... Some Questions

Sisyphus291

I need to remit some money to a friend in Thailand. Because the need for some quickness, I decided to use some fast service like Western Union due to ease and speed.

However, when filling out the information I ran into a concern. I have the person's name in Thai (from email). Should I use the thai for first and family name information or should I ask the person for a more romanized version (I don't know how to pronounce the family name section as I've always used his nickname).

The reason I ask is I assume the recipient must show their ID.

Cheers....

Sisyphus

Must be NON THAI script, they need to use the English equivalent spelling. MUST match the Thai ID card in terms of name.

Hope you are not being scammed with the "sick relative" or Buffalo ..........(no offence).

Edited by CharlieH

I need to remit some money to a friend in Thailand. Because the need for some quickness, I decided to use some fast service like Western Union due to ease and speed.

However, when filling out the information I ran into a concern. I have the person's name in Thai (from email). Should I use the thai for first and family name information or should I ask the person for a more romanized version (I don't know how to pronounce the family name section as I've always used his nickname).

Cheers....

Sisyphus

I am sure your friend will have used western union before. She will know what you need to put wink.png

I love you I love you,You so handsome , Please send me some money, My family have no money for blah blah blah

• Like 1

Cheers....

Sisyphus

I am sure your friend will have used western union before. She will know what you need to put wink.png

I love you I love you,You so handsome , Please send me some money, My family have no money for blah blah blah

And don't forget that buffaloes are very sensitive animals, they get easily sick and animal doctors are very expensive in Thailand.....And mum is also at the hospital, and hospitals are very expensive, too.

And while I take care for mum and the sick buffalo I can't work in the bar beauty saloon. My "brother" want to buy a pickup so he can delivery goods and pay back every month.....

blablablabla

• Like 1

Seriously, as said if sending money from the West then keyboard is unlikely to have Thai script capability.

However Thai National id cards now have a Romanised version of the Thai name on them. Ask them to email this name and use it.

No comments as to reason for sending money, not my business.

Good god there are some bitter expats in Thailand guitar.gifwhistling.gif

Yes how dare people say what they are thinking if you don't agree with it.

They must be bitter expats ;)

From now on can people please pm lovelaos before they post to make sure he agrees with you. If you don't he will call you bitter and tell you if you don't like it go home. :)

• Like 1

If you are the bf/gf of a Thai person and you are back in your own country..the need to send money feels like the difference between life or death....If the OP is genuine I feel for them on compassionate grounds..

I will not make a fun remark or rebuke them as they may not have the experience of all you realists on board here...some people need to be optimistic too. Isn't that why many of us ended up in the LoS?

The optimistic view of a happy go lucky lifestyle with a Thai person who loves you deeply and truly...

Ah balls, probably ruined this soft post now...but OP...wise up dude unless they are a blood relation/close best friend would you send money to anyone else you know in the World?

Cheers....

Sisyphus

And don't forget that buffaloes are very sensitive animals, they get easily sick and animal doctors are very expensive in Thailand.....And mum is also at the hospital, and hospitals are very expensive, too.

And while I take care for mum and the sick buffalo I can't work in the bar beauty saloon. My "brother" want to buy a pickup so he can delivery goods and pay back every month.....

blablablabla

No no this really does happen please don't joke about it. Before I was sending my ex gf 40000 baht a month. She had many buffalos so most of the money went on keeping the buffalos fit and healthy. The other money went to paying the monthly pay outs on the brand new pickup she needed for the buffalo farm business. It was going great but about a week before I was about to fly out and see the progress the business was making disaster struck ! Her brother was driving the brand new pick up, he list control and crashed into the buffalo farm. Killed all the buffalos and wrote of the car. Me and my ex gf where left with nothing. She was so upset when she phoned me to tell me what had happened. So upset that she couldn't even see me when I got to Thailand.

These stories really do happen ;)

• Like 1

Good god there are some bitter expats in Thailand guitar.gifwhistling.gif

Yes how dare people say what they are thinking if you don't agree with it.

They must be bitter expats wink.png

From now on can people please pm lovelaos before they post to make sure he agrees with you. If you don't he will call you bitter and tell you if you don't like it go home. smile.png

And you're the most bitter of them all blink.png

• Like 1

No no this really does happen please don't joke about it. Before I was sending my ex gf 40000 baht a month. She had many buffalos so most of the money went on keeping the buffalos fit and healthy. The other money went to paying the monthly pay outs on the brand new pickup she needed for the buffalo farm business. It was going great but about a week before I was about to fly out and see the progress the business was making disaster struck ! Her brother was driving the brand new pick up, he list control and crashed into the buffalo farm. Killed all the buffalos and wrote of the car. Me and my ex gf where left with nothing. She was so upset when she phoned me to tell me what had happened. So upset that she couldn't even see me when I got to Thailand.

These stories really do happen wink.png

that sounds like a real lot bad luck. Hope you could help with some money to buy some new buffalos.

At least the families are still intact in Thailand. Often the brother is helping a lot and even sleep in the same room to give company in such hard times.....

that sounds like a real lot bad luck. Hope you could help with some money to buy some new buffalos.

At least the families are still intact in Thailand. Often the brother is helping a lot and even sleep in the same room to give company in such hard times.....

Of course I sent some more money for the new buffalos. But the bad news was the buffalo price had gone up so it cost more than I thought it would.

Her brother who crashed the pickup he has left now. But now she has her other brother living with her. My gf thinks in about 6 months I will be able to go and see the new buffalo farm. She just needs more money to build it bigger and better than it was before. First she said about 1 million baht but about a week later she said she felt bad for me sending so much money so she said about 900k baht. She saved 100k baht for are future together. Where back together now she must really love me :);)

Great comments guys....when you learn to read perhaps you will see the OP wrote.......... his name........

Gotta agree with loveloas on this one!!

Not sure where you are OP but moneygram use a test question, and the spelling of the name in roman script is there, but just get the guy to text you his name if possible

• Like 2

what a nice love&business success story dansat, I'm jealous. I'm sure you didn't medt such an exceptional girl in a bar, any tips on finding a. gem like yours ?

yes he must have searched all the bars of Pattaya to find such a honest lovely girl.

Wow, have you got many other stories like this...I love reading/listening about them..(not to mock or gloat but just because of the experience learnt) I'm always astounded at the money involved...It makes me feel poor..I didn't think I was till I starting reading TV..haha...how can people send £800 to a girl in another country who they hardly know..... Would they give this sort of money to a friend for a real business plan in the West? probably not..

I think even if the spellings wrong, you will be given a number , code , As long as that is quoted i don't think there will be a problem , when you are given the code just tex it to the other person who is receiving the money. They will have to nominate a post office in Thailand. There is an offer on at the moment its about £9 to send £200, You will get Western unions baht rate, i got just over 47 yesteday7

Edited by Thongkorn

I think even if the spellings wrong, you will be given a number , code , As long as that is quoted i don't think there will be a problem , when you are given the code just tex it to the other person who is receiving the money. They will have to nominate a post office in Thailand. There is an offer on at the moment its about £9 to send £200, You will get Western unions baht rate, i got just over 47 yesteday7

I am not sure what I should think about someone who knows all those things.