So Much Food!

james24

Im leaving Thailand in a day and after sitting down to a Massaman curry it hit me just exactly how many different types of dishes there are here.

Has Thailand throughout history always been known for its cuisine or much like the smile, something that has developed over the last 60 years or so?

look how many different dishes are in France, Italy, Austria or Germany......I guess there are more varieties of breads in Germany than different Thai dishes.
mmm not sure but the fact that after 4 years I can still not see much difference between pad kee mao, pad chaah and some pad pets I guess there are some that are doubled up due to region.Good link but not much on the history Edited by james24

look how many different dishes are in France, Italy, Austria or Germany......I guess there are more varieties of breads in Germany than different Thai dishes.
mmm not sure but the fact that after 4 years I can still not see much difference between pad kee mao, pad chaah and some pad pets I guess there are some that are doubled up due to region.Good link but not much on the history

mate you obviously know how to use a computer, i am sure you can search for all of 5 mins and come up with more on the history of Thai cuisine.

Yeah, but imagine Thai food without chilies. Those came from the Americas and introduced by ... creamy people from the creamy countries. Now some of those same creamies come to Thailand and the first thing they learn to say in a restaurant is ... MAI PHET. It's a queer world!

All chilies found around the world today have their origins in Mexico, Central America and South America. Chilies were spread by the Spanish and the Portuguese in their quest to build a global empire and are still grown in their former colonies in Africa and Asia. The chili varieties found in Southeast Asia today were imported and cultivated by Spanish and the Portuguese colonists and traders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird%27s_eye_chili
  • Like 1

mmm not sure but the fact that after 4 years I can still not see much difference between pad kee mao, pad chaah and some pad pets I guess there are some that are doubled up due to region.Good link but not much on the history

Most Thai people don't know the difference, which is why they make it the way you describe it.

It's sad. Thai food (for Thais as much as anyone else) has deteriorated remarkably during the past 15 years. sad.png

Most Thai people don't know the difference, which is why they make it the way you describe it.

It's sad. Thai food (for Thais as much as anyone else) has deteriorated remarkably during the past 15 years. sad.png

i disagree, stay away from restaurants catering to farangs and go with thais somewhere away from sukhumvit, silom etc and you can find regional thai cuisine

Yeah, but imagine Thai food without chilies. Those came from the Americas and introduced by ... creamy people from the creamy countries. Now some of those same creamies come to Thailand and the first thing they learn to say in a restaurant is ... MAI PHET. It's a queer world!

All chilies found around the world today have their origins in Mexico, Central America and South America. Chilies were spread by the Spanish and the Portuguese in their quest to build a global empire and are still grown in their former colonies in Africa and Asia. The chili varieties found in Southeast Asia today were imported and cultivated by Spanish and the Portuguese colonists and traders.
http://en.wikipedia....ird's_eye_chili

Really we pinkies gave them the chilies...I didn't know that....

When I fist came to Thailand 20+ years ago some of the dishes which we now find in nearly every restaurant could at that time only be found in the region where they originated. Pattaya and Bangkok where of couse exceptions having a wider range of dishes but outside of these areas local food was really local.

We now have northern food in the south, southern food in the north and sea food everywhere.

I don't think there are any more or any less dishes now but the regional differences as smudged in a way they were not.

http://en.wikipedia....#39;s_eye_chili

They don't seem to know that either. I get really tired of telling Thais that I can eat as hot as any one of them. I do it politely, but it does get a bit old.

In reality, I have not found any Thai dish that I would consider especially hot. Chillies are kind of like candy. Having said that, they do eventually have a cumulative effect.

I grow my own Habaneros, Caribbean Red, Chocolate, and Naga Jolokia. I've to give one to a Thai friend who hasn't been completely blown away by the heat.

I absolutely love Thai food. It's even better when you put real peppers in it. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Probably more dishes based on potatos in Ireland as well................wink.png

I have heard that there actually wasn't such a thing as the potato famine in Ireland, we just forgot where we planted them for a while.

http://en.wikipedia....ird's_eye_chili

JT i really hate to ask but <deleted> is with this creamy thing you are posting at every possible moment?

JT i really hate to ask but <deleted> is with this creamy thing you are posting at every possible moment?

if we call Chinese: Yellows, Africans: Black, Europeans: are Creamies. I usually call us Pinkies instead.

Don't ask. whistling.gif ......................giggle.gif ..............................laugh.png

They don't seem to know that either. I get really tired of telling Thais that I can eat as hot as any one of them. I do it politely, but it does get a bit old.

In reality, I have not found any Thai dish that I would consider especially hot. Chillies are kind of like candy. Having said that, they do eventually have a cumulative effect.

I grow my own Habaneros, Caribbean Red, Chocolate, and Naga Jolokia. I've to give one to a Thai friend who hasn't been completely blown away by the heat.

I absolutely love Thai food. It's even better when you put real peppers in it. thumbsup.gif

heck we should cook something together licklips.gif

My mother was as child in India and learned cooking there, I loved these sweeter chilies just when I learned speaking. (My mother got a lot complains in restaurants what bad mother she is to allow that baby to eat something spicy).

I usually eat much spicier than people in Bangkok, Isaan or North. And no restaurant believes me if I order spicy....

But go to Nakhon Si Thammerat, they have spicy curries (not chili spicy), that is also demanding for me....some cold beer required.

But also most of the locals don't like that spicy and I am not sure if it doesn't harm the body. You feel it burning in the stomach and when you pee on the toilet the pee also burns.....

I once tried there with a 70 year old school-teacher who can eat more spicy.....She cried first, I followed 10 seconds later.....real strong stuff there.

• Like 2

I could easily feed on Thai food only , on german bred ...harder whistling.gif

...sick.gif ...german breads

My mother was as child in India and learned cooking there, I loved these sweeter chilies just when I learned speaking. (My mother got a lot complains in restaurants what bad mother she is to allow that baby to eat something spicy).

I usually eat much spicier than people in Bangkok, Isaan or North. And no restaurant believes me if I order spicy....

But go to Nakhon Si Thammerat, they have spicy curries (not chili spicy), that is also demanding for me....some cold beer required.

But also most of the locals don't like that spicy and I am not sure if it doesn't harm the body. You feel it burning in the stomach and when you pee on the toilet the pee also burns.....

I once tried there with a 70 year old school-teacher who can eat more spicy.....She cried first, I followed 10 seconds later.....real strong stuff there.

Southern food, to me is the best in Thailand, my personal favourite being kua kling.

Issan food to me is bad/poor food disguised by jacking it up with chillies.

Northern food, too sweet for me.

Bkk food, avoid hotels, look at what passes for tom yam goong these days.

Why is it so hard to find massaman and penang boran?

Most Thai girls under the age of 35 cant cook, most working in Bkk just buy food on the way home,or buy the premade sauces like Aroy D and the like, totally bland.

• Like 1

Old timer Thais report that Thai food in general has gotten MUCH more sweet (sugar) over the decades. That is definitely a bad thing in every way, for taste and for health.

As far as tolerance for spices and heat, I am a total chile-head but over the years I have become more tolerant of chile phobes. There is something to the idea that massive chiles change your palate so that it is harder to appreciate subtle foods.

i disagree, stay away from restaurants catering to farangs and go with thais somewhere away from sukhumvit, silom etc and you can find regional thai cuisine

Even in Thai restaurants that are frequented only by Thais the menus are often a shadow of what they used to be when I was growing up here. Ditto the street side stalls; gone the way of western high streets (same old same old all over the country, with virtually none of the local variation, let alone regional variation that used to exist not so long ago) . . . probably because the collective store of cooking knowledge is now a shadow of it's former self due to the increasing take up of a 'modern' lifestyle.

Old timer Thais report that Thai food in general has gotten MUCH more sweet (sugar) over the decades. That is definitely a bad thing in every way, for taste and for health.

As far as tolerance for spices and heat, I am a total chile-head but over the years I have become more tolerant of chile phobes. There is something to the idea that massive chiles change your palate so that it is harder to appreciate subtle foods.

I'm no old timer but I can certainly vouch for that!

Southern food, to me is the best in Thailand, my personal favourite being kua kling.

Issan food to me is bad/poor food disguised by jacking it up with chillies.

Northern food, too sweet for me.

Bkk food, avoid hotels, look at what passes for tom yam goong these days.

Why is it so hard to find massaman and penang boran?

Most Thai girls under the age of 35 cant cook, most working in Bkk just buy food on the way home,or buy the premade sauces like Aroy D and the like, totally bland.

The best Thai Food in most of my staffs opinion are the hot dogs and burgers at the 7/11 sick.gif

Recently in a resort the owner explained my wife that she is doing the massaman with condensed milk instead of coconut milk, as the farangs anyway don't know the difference sick.gif. My wife was speechless (and that doesn't happen often).

Wife tells Massaman is not really Thai it is from somewhere else (forgot where, India??), but modified in Thailand.....

I have the impression (and I might be wrong), that the southerners care a bit more what they eat.

I never found any good southern restaurant in Bangkok, always it is a bit adjusted for Bangkok which often means sugar and I don't like sweet.

I think 2 or 3 year ago there was a speech of the Queen telling something similar. I can't recall it, but about sugar in the food and that it is not the way it should be....

I can eat just as much chilly as any Thai i have met too, if not more..never been beaten yet.

But, in a local restaurant the a newish waitress wanted to test me so she said...times x 10 chillies in my papaya salad...i said yes, rising to the challenge....and it came with lots of the tiny green chillies...

Bloody 'eck...The top of the salad was okay it was when i started spooning in the chilly pips and sauce from the bottom...my tongue, throat and stomach were burning..and i had tears coming out of my eyes and nose running...I knew they were watching the waitress and chef, so i moved table so i was facing a wall and continued crying and sniveling into my food untill it was finished....

I am not joking, I could not stop crying it was so hot...but i finished it...my tongue was gone..and so was I... I paid up at the till with tears rolling down my face..

I went and bought some ice cream and chocolate ran home scoffed the them down and lay down for a few hours..it was murder...never eaten anything so hot and spicy.....it didn't and doesn't stop me though...just made me stronger for eating chilly...

smile.png

That happened to me once. I ordered phet phet which is often dumbed down because they don't believe me. They brought me a plate which was 95 percent prik kee nu and the rest dish. They were having a laugh. I ate most of it because they were tasty chilies, yes I was crying and sweating, and no I did not return.

No massaman curry in the only place that has a few tables in my village, inedible tom yam kung, red curry mai mee etc.

Well he makes a decent tom kha kai and kai pad med mamuang.

Next week in Karon beach, hope I will find better choices of food and october Europe to fill my belly with real food before I head back to skinnyfoodland.

I can eat just as much chilly as any Thai i have met too, if not more..never been beaten yet.

But, in a local restaurant the a newish waitress wanted to test me so she said...times x 10 chillies in my papaya salad...i said yes, rising to the challenge....and it came with lots of the tiny green chillies...

Bloody 'eck...The top of the salad was okay it was when i started spooning in the chilly pips and sauce from the bottom...my tongue, throat and stomach were burning..and i had tears coming out of my eyes and nose running...I knew they were watching the waitress and chef, so i moved table so i was facing a wall and continued crying and sniveling into my food untill it was finished....

I am not joking, I could not stop crying it was so hot...but i finished it...my tongue was gone..and so was I... I paid up at the till with tears rolling down my face..

I went and bought some ice cream and chocolate ran home scoffed the them down and lay down for a few hours..it was murder...never eaten anything so hot and spicy.....it didn't and doesn't stop me though...just made me stronger for eating chilly...

smile.png

Lucky....Always when I tell spicy, I get that face that tells "Another farang....".

That chilies are spicy when you eat them....that is kind of fair.

That hellish curries in the south are different. You eat and think what is spicy here. When you are already half finished than it begins and different than chilly it doesn't stop.....It just get worse and worse....

Usually the locals there just eat the meat and not much of the sauce, while I on the beginning just put everything over the rice and that is the hell.....

As long as I drink cold beer there is no pain, as soon as you stop it feels someone holds the torch in your mouth....it needs 3 large bottles to recover....