Lamb Shanks

kennedy

i consider lamb shank in a pressure cooker a crime sick.gif

Yes...definitely a crime. we will have to consficate the evidence......for dinner

seriously Pressure cookers are OK but long slow braising is better. In my view the less you add to the shanks the better.

Google -Slow Roasted Lamb shanks-instead. I think the pressure cooker method will make them very tough. I personally like them in a Lancashire hot pot style.

http://figjamandlime...ashire-hot-pot/

That would be my choice too.

So much juice and flavour in them as above...low heat and let them cook through. I do brown 'em first so they are nice and crispy on the outside....seals in the flavour I reckon.

Or maybe I grew up on burnt offerings...you choose. biggrin.png

Buy the frozen ones in Makro around 350 baht for two, whilst there buy a slow cooker for 699 baht, defrost, brown Shanks in wok or frying pan, place in slow cooker with 1onion, sliced, 2 carrots sliced, 1 leek sliced, 50 gms pearl barley, 600 ml hot lamb or chicken stock, 2 sprigs of thyme, 2 bay leaves, cook on low for 8 to 9 hours, delicious.

I buy my chicken stock from Foodland but have seen it in Makro and tesco, barley from Foodland, leeks from Tesco.

Enjoy!

Comfort food recipe: Cook in a slow cooker (some rice cookers can do this) or Pyrex dish in the oven at around 200° C.

Four Lamb Shanks, two complete bulbs of garlic, two sprigs rosemary, one bottle red wine, 1 cup of sherry or port, two oxo cubes, two dessert spoons brown sugar.

Quickly brown Lamb Shanks and put in the dish along with all of the red wine and the sherry or port and the sprigs rosemary. Take the bulbs of garlic and separate them into cloves (cutting off the hard bits at the end and removing any loose skin, but leave the skins on) prick them and put them into the dish.

Some folk add a teaspoonful of tomato purée at this particular point. Make sure that the Lamb Shanks are just about immersed in the liquid (you can top up with a little bit of water).

Cook for three hours, until the meat has all but fallen off the bone. Remove the liquid and put it in a separate pan and crumble in the two oxo cubes. Reduce this for at least 20 min until the sauce becomes thicker and at that time start to add the sugar to taste (I like it to be a sweetish sauce) and continue until the mixture is like a thick gravy.

Make some mashed potato and add one egg and some olive oil mixed in to make it richer. Serve with a vegetable of your choice and make sure there is plenty of the sauce to go round, along with the soft and fairly mushy garlic cloves.

As all of the alcohol used in the recipe will have dissipated, and it is a very rich dish, you can have this with a decent hefty red wine, which it will need.

• Like 2

Comfort food recipe: Cook in a slow cooker (some rice cookers can do this) or Pyrex dish in the oven at around 200° C.

Four Lamb Shanks, two complete bulbs of garlic, two sprigs rosemary, one bottle red wine, 1 cup of sherry or port, two oxo cubes, two dessert spoons brown sugar.

Quickly brown Lamb Shanks and put in the dish along with all of the red wine and the sherry or port and the sprigs rosemary. Take the bulbs of garlic and separate them into cloves (cutting off the hard bits at the end and removing any loose skin, but leave the skins on) prick them and put them into the dish.

Some folk add a teaspoonful of tomato purée at this particular point. Make sure that the Lamb Shanks are just about immersed in the liquid (you can top up with a little bit of water).

Cook for three hours, until the meat has all but fallen off the bone. Remove the liquid and put it in a separate pan and crumble in the two oxo cubes. Reduce this for at least 20 min until the sauce becomes thicker and at that time start to add the sugar to taste (I like it to be a sweetish sauce) and continue until the mixture is like a thick gravy.

Make some mashed potato and add one egg and some olive oil mixed in to make it richer. Serve with a vegetable of your choice and make sure there is plenty of the sauce to go round, along with the soft and fairly mushy garlic cloves.

As all of the alcohol used in the recipe will have dissipated, and it is a very rich dish, you can have this with a decent hefty red wine, which it will need.

Sounds great. The only thing that caught me by surprise was adding an egg to mashed potatoes I have to try that I love mashed potatoes. I still remember my Nan scolding me for putting them into boiling water when the "proper" way was to put them in cold water and bring to the boil, anyway I'll try that egg suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds great. The only thing that caught me by surprise was adding an egg to mashed potatoes I have to try that I love mashed potatoes. I still remember my Nan scolding me for putting them into boiling water when the "proper" way was to put them in cold water and bring to the boil, anyway I'll try that egg suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure. If you want that little something extra in the mashed potatoes, then add a few drops of Truffle Oil in the mash. It is expensive but only a few drops are needed so it will last a long time and won;t go off. Also can be used in lots of dishes to add an extra taste dimension.

• Like 1

Lightly flour shanks and saute until golden in olive oil. Remove shanks and add mirepoix, saute till dark and deg-laze with a hearty red. Place shanks back in pressure cooker with a bouquet garnis and add lamb stock and demi glace to cover 2/3. Cook about 3-4 hours at med temp. To serve split bone to expose marrow. Place on top of Parmesan risotto and lightly sauce. Top with shaved black truffles and a sprig of thyme.

Edited by FOODLOVER

I can't imagine lamb shanks being cooked any other way than for 10 hours in a slow cooker/crock pot. Some very interesting recipes to try here though (if I save up for 3 months to buy the lamb - why is it so expensive here?)

Buy the frozen ones in Makro around 350 baht for two, whilst there buy a slow cooker for 699 baht, defrost, brown Shanks in wok or frying pan, place in slow cooker with 1onion, sliced, 2 carrots sliced, 1 leek sliced, 50 gms pearl barley, 600 ml hot lamb or chicken stock, 2 sprigs of thyme, 2 bay leaves, cook on low for 8 to 9 hours, delicious.

I buy my chicken stock from Foodland but have seen it in Makro and tesco, barley from Foodland, leeks from Tesco.

Enjoy!

Beware the Thai slow cookers - I bought on for around the same price, it has 2 settings, heat and warm, and when I leave it on warm it boils away like there is a gas flame underneath it - yes, I've tried heat in case they were wired the wrong way around. I save that for when cooking beans and dried peas or rice pudding.. I solved my slow cooker problem by killing 2 birds with 1 stone - I bought a mini-cooker (the round glass ones that look like space ships) and I can remove all the trays etc out of the big glass bowl and set it to 95 degrees which is perfect for slow cooking. And it makes perfect Yorkshire puddings. What else could anyone ever want?