Bangkok Cabbie Kills British Woman, Injures Her Friend In Hit-And-Run

george

It amazes me that all the posts refer to the speed 70-80kph being to fast,or not so fast.

But this speed has only been given by the driver!! Do you believe this was his real speed?

It has been given by a man who had a full impact,shattered screen,stops 50m down the road see's the carnage and drives off after getting his well shocked passenger out of the car.

I am not so sure if i believe his speed was this figure,i have known many what appear to be nice people,say... Oh i was only doing 40 when a dog ran out.

He does not seem to have the same morals as myself,and from his actions after the impact,fleeing as he did,i have feeling that his speed was higher.

One person to step out in the road is bad judgement maybe,but for two people not to see it maybe it was going much faster than "HE" claims.

Again from news coming through that he knew he was doomed,the only evidence of speed are from his lips.

It does look like we have witness,so maybe some answers of speed will come here,also from Lauren herself,when she can.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We disagree again. Compliance is the driver's responsibility. ENFORCEMENT is the government's. So, just add lack of enforcement to my list of Thai bashing opinions.

Now you're just being silly. If there is no enforcement, there isn't compliance. With regards to traffic law it always starts with enforcement. This would seem too obvious to even require explanation.

Even with your well honed defensive driving skills, if a drunk suddenly plunged in front of your car you could kill them, even at 40km/h.

Easy to blame the Thai car driver (Thai bashing) but we don't know the full facts and the car driver might be completely innocent (or completely guilty)

He fled the scene, that usually indicates he's got something to hide.

It's absolutely normal to flee the scene in this country (shock, surprise, fear), but he did give himself up within two hours (which isn't normal).

I feel very sorry for the woman, her family, and the taxi driver. All very unfortunate.

Important to note that he gave himself up only after the number and color of his taxi were broadcast on a radio station that's very popular with motorists, especially taxi drivers.

Whether he is actually responsible for the death and injury is subject to a fair and thorough investigation by the police. Here's hoping that such a thing actually happens here!

The people insinuating the victim was drunk or on drugs should be ashamed of themselves.

The Police have charged the taxi driver with reckless driving so they must have evidence to suggest he was at fault.

You've never driven a car at 20% over the speed limit ever then?

@Tywais

Thanks for the street view, no place for a pedestrian to cross the road there, no gap in the central reservation. You would have to climb over quite a high barricade to cross the road there, and a big ditch to cross.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

What kind of country can't even provide it's population with a proper emergency service? Thailand is a contry with so many tourists, it's amazing that they haven't acted on this, given that safety is a top criteria for when tourists decide on where to go. I think that if tourists actually knew how bad the situation is, a lot of them would stay away.

Unfortunately safety is not a major concern for young tourists/expats. Going out late and getting drunk is first priority.

• Like 1

The people insinuating the victim was drunk or on drugs should be ashamed of themselves.

The Police have charged the taxi driver with reckless driving so they must have evidence to suggest he was at fault.

Why is that? You don't consider there's a very strong possibility that two 20's something ladies walking the streets of Bangkok at 4am could be drunk?

As I said earlier, there's a share of blame here. I'm sure that's the way insurance companies would look at it too.

Based on the information so far it appears it was near this location, in front of the Shell station. Quite a wide road and could see how one could get up to speed with little traffic at 4:00 AM. Though, with all the side sois and stores 70-80 would seem too fast.

Google Street View

I also see a pedestrian bridge that could have been used, and wonder how they wanted to cross the divider between the two roads.

Good information, and now i do believe the max speed could be 60 there. But i am also a realist and guess that almost no car will drive that speed there on lane 3 and 4.

Did anybody see any details of whether the taxi driver is being held being bars or was released on bail (how much), etc?

Would be interesting to compare these details with the ferrari case and the 16 yr old who crashed into the uni minivan.

I honestly can't believe you wrote that. The original report says he was released on 100,000 baht bail.

We disagree again. Compliance is the driver's responsibility. ENFORCEMENT is the government's. So, just add lack of enforcement to my list of Thai bashing opinions.

Now you're just being silly. If there is no enforcement, there isn't compliance. With regards to traffic law it always starts with enforcement. This would seem too obvious to even require explanation.

Even with your well honed defensive driving skills, if a drunk suddenly plunged in front of your car you could kill them, even at 40km/h.

Well, if pointing out the facts is being silly, then I'm happy to be silly. What's even more silly is to present the status quo, that is the pervasive lack of personal responsibility and accountability, as acceptable.

And yes, every time I get into my car, I consider the possibility that someone might fling himself on top of my car, or that I might simply blink at the wrong moment. I'm not arrogant enough to think that it couldn't happen to me, despite my best efforts.

This experience has made me do 2 things, because the next time I end up in a similar situation (which in this city is not unlikely), I will be very happy to have done them:

- Spend 5 minutes to enter all these numbers into my phone:

http://bangkok.anglo...<br /><br />

- Go down and take a first aid course

I would advise that all of you do it as well. Because even if there are 30 odd thai people present at an accident scene, expect that none of them will be providing any kind of first aid for the victims. Even if some of them knew first aid, the Thai's are still so shy and timid, that they don't want to "interfere".

Edited by rsm08
  • Like 1

My condolences to the victims and their families. I wish them all relief from their pain and suffering.

My advice to posters is to refer to post #10 from thebletherer... words of wisdom therein......Why, oh why, can some other people not be as considerate?

Edited by Rob8891

Unfortunately safety is not a major concern for young tourists/expats. Going out late and getting drunk is first priority.

Less of a concern for taxi drivers it would seem. They don't even have the common decency to remain at the scene of a serious accident.

Surely you don't get around Thailand thinking everyone drives safely. I expect everyone to drive badly here. These are things which tourists need to learn before they travel to distant lands.

• Like 1

I would advise that all of you do it as well. Because even if there are 30 odd thai people present at an accident scene, expect that none of them will be providing any kind of first aid for the victims. Even if some of them knew first aid, the Thai's are still so shy and timid, that they don't want to "interfere".

More likely Thai's know better than to put themselves in a position where they can be 'blamed'.

Yes but without insinuating anything, just acknowledging the possibility under the apparent circumstances, should alcohol or drugs turn up in the victims or if they were crossing a street illegally/recklessly where pedestrians would never be expected then I would expect charges to be filed against them her as well.

• Like 2

Well, if pointing out the facts is being silly, then I'm happy to be silly.

You weren't pointing out fact you were just trying to confuse the issue.

That's a matter of opinion... yours apparently being the only one that matters. I'm sure you are the kind of person who needs to have the last word. So feel free to reply. Me, I'm moving on with my day.

wai.gif

Assuming the general selfishness arround here, the 100k bail, and the 2 hours later "turning in".

70km/h + rain = 100% Guilty (and the driver did know that hopefully)

All this is already a big step in the right direction.

70k is only 43 mph, not knowing how bad the rain was, hards to say,

but 43mph doesn't sound excessive normally.

At 4am don't imagine the ladies were 100% sobre and aware.

Not saying blame the vicim here, just saying hang em high doesn't always ring true.

2 hours later is not too long a wait for here, just long enough not to be killed by an enraged mob.

We can't think in terms of our culture since it certainly isn't.

Guilty, most likely.Showing contrition, most likely, more lenient sentence because of this, most likely too.

But he will never forget he's killed a young lady like this.

I admire your thinking but to suggest that an angry mob of thai or foreigner will descend upon an accident at 4 a.m. in the heavy rain is nonsense. to also suggest that a mob would beat a driver on behalf of people they don't know or met before is also silly. this is not India.

he left the scene to get his story straight or maybe for the effects of something to wear off. nothing more. accountability is sadly lacking here. from the top to the bottom.

I HAVE seen it happen at that hour in same conditions. I was forced tro stop while the group beating crossed the road in fron to me. So, not saying it is a sensical occurrence, but nonsense sorry, mate it DOES happen here with alarming frequency day night and all weather conditions. Add the 4 am hour and general sobriety of most out at that hour, tempers will be LESS under control than at 4 PM, no matter how you look at it.

&lt;deleted&gt; He was later released on bail of Bt100,000...

Google the following "uk hit and run on bail"

You will see that 100% of the time hit and run drivers in the U.K. are granted bail.

Would you prefer the driver was immediately executed instead?

Noo but come on 100k is a joke ..

100K is a huge amount of money for a taxi driver.

&lt;deleted&gt; He was later released on bail of Bt100,000...

Google the following "uk hit and run on bail"

You will see that 100% of the time hit and run drivers in the U.K. are granted bail.

Would you prefer the driver was immediately executed instead?

Noo but come on 100k is a joke ..

100K is a huge amount of money for a taxi driver.

My insurance has a 200k bail bond.. so it seems 100-200k is standard here. But if they know his details and don't need him anymore for their investigation and he is not a flight risk why keep him in jail. Only after a verdict someone will be punished

Yes but without insinuating anything, just acknowledging the possibility under the apparent circumstances, should alcohol or drugs turn up in the victims or if they were crossing a street illegally/recklessly where pedestrians would never be expected then I would expect charges to be filed against them her as well.

Charged with what?

How do you bring charges to a dead person? Charge their next of kin?