Prescriptions For Medicine Here In Chiang Mai

FredLee

I asked my wife's doctor (endrocinoligist) to write her a prescription for her cholesterol medicine, so that I can try to get it filled through the Tricare insurance I have instead of getting it at the hospital pharmacy. He concurred, but for the prescription, he just added it to the the Medical Report page under Treatment, Include Procdures: He wrote in that section "Lipitor, (10 mg), 3 months supply, 1 tablet at bedtime." I asked at the customer service desk, and they said that is the prescription format for Thailand, that they don't use a prescription form. Has anyone had experience with these types of prescriptions? Thanks in advance.

Fred

That is true what they told you. That is how prescriptions are issued in Thailand.

Why not just buy the generic equivalent which is cheap as chips? There are two generic brands in Thailand, but by far the cheapest is Atorsan (GPO). You would save even more (about 35-40% more) by buying 100 X 20 mg. and splitting the tablets.

Edit: Don't buy your prescriptions at C.M. Ram. That is the most expensive place in C.M. to buy drugs.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 2

That is true what they told you. That is how prescriptions are issued in Thailand.

Why not just buy the generic equivalent which is cheap as chips? There are two generic brands in Thailand, but by far the cheapest is Atorsan (GPO). You would save even more (about 35-40% more) by buying 100 X 20 mg. and splitting the tablets.

Edit: Don't buy your prescriptions at C.M. Ram. That is the most expensive place in C.M. to buy drugs.

Thanks,

I believe your suggestion is the way to go. Probably cheaper than what I wanted to do, and quicker.

Fred

Where do you suggest we buy prescription drugs? None of the pharmacies I have tried carry the vast majority of them.

Where do you suggest we buy prescription drugs? None of the pharmacies I have tried carry the vast majority of them.

Peera Pharmacy, a few doors down Ratchadamnoen from Black Canyon coffee, same side of road. Run by two VERY knowledgeable sisters.

/ Priceless

I used Lipator for over a year to no avail. Plus the side effects were painfull. After a year I stopped using it and my cholesterol Hadn't gone down. I now take Vitamen b3 I believe the one I get is niacon.I get it from my doctor as the ones in the store are not strong enough.

She has to order them from Bangkok. My cholesterol is down now and no side effects. Well every once in a while I will get that Niacan rush. About once a month.

Edited by hellodolly

I used Lipator for over a year to no avail. Plus the side effects were painfull. After a year I stopped using it and my cholesterol Hadn't gone down. I now take Vitamen b3 I believe the one I get is niacon.I get it from my doctor as the ones in the store are not strong enough.

She has to order them from Bangkok. My cholesterol is down now and no side effects. Well every once in a while I will get that Niacan rush. About once a month.

You should look into buying slow release niacin. This will eliminate the feeling that your head is on fire.

You should look into buying slow release niacin. This will eliminate the feeling that your head is on fire.

It is a slow release but as I say about once a month I get the rush. I have taken the 1,000 what ever you call them for measurement with out slow release and that is a all over on fire, This when I do get it is just a match in comparison. I generally take them after diner. And as I say they work for me. Might not for others Just as Lipitor works for others with no side affects but didn't work for me but gave me side effects.

If you are over the age of 40 there has been no study to prove that any statin will extend your life to justify the use of these dangerous drugs, Read the Cholestrol Myth a real eye opner about the studies and actual affect of these drugs. In the studies that showed some sucess maybe it increased the participates on average life span by 6 months if that.

• Like 1

My wife was on Lipitor which is atorvastatin and she tried the generic equivalent bestatin to save money. She got severe allergic reaction and had to go back to Lipitor. The same thing could apply to atosan. So be careful. If you have diabetes you must keep your cholesterol down.

• Like 1

My wife was on Lipitor which is atorvastatin and she tried the generic equivalent bestatin to save money. She got severe allergic reaction and had to go back to Lipitor. The same thing could apply to atosan. So be careful. If you have diabetes you must keep your cholesterol down.

Bestatin is not the generic equivalent of Lipitor. It is the generic for Zocor. Atorvastatin is exactly the same Lipitor (Pfizer) without the price tag. That is why she had a reaction, it was not the same drug.

Those taking both statin's and niacin together, might find this interesting

NIH stops clinical trial on combination cholesterol treatment

Lack of efficacy in reducing cardiovascular events prompts decision

The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health has stopped a clinical trial studying a blood lipid treatment 18 months earlier than planned. The trial found that adding high dose, extended-release niacin to statin treatment in people with heart and vascular disease, did not reduce the risk of cardiovascular events, including heart attacks and stroke.

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/may2011/nhlbi-26.htm

Those taking both statin's and niacin together, might find this interesting

NIH stops clinical trial on combination cholesterol treatment

Lack of efficacy in reducing cardiovascular events prompts decision

The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health has stopped a clinical trial studying a blood lipid treatment 18 months earlier than planned. The trial found that adding high dose, extended-release niacin to statin treatment in people with heart and vascular disease, did not reduce the risk of cardiovascular events, including heart attacks and stroke.

http://www.nih.gov/n...11/nhlbi-26.htm

I stoped the lipatir and only take the Niason no more side effects and lower cholesterall. For myself I would never consider mixing the two unless I had cleared it with my doctor.

Every once in a while I get a brainstorm to take some thing but first I check with my doctor. My latest idea was fitne. Some sort of pepper concotion She Oked it.

I could be wrong but I believe in one doctor knowing all my drugs and supplements. She even Okyed my idea for acupuncture for my feet. I already have a vitamin b for that and it has helped tremendously.

Peera Pharmacy, a few doors down Ratchadamnoen from Black Canyon coffee, same side of road. Run by two VERY knowledgeable sisters.

/ Priceless

I'll second this recommendation! These girls really know their business! And if they don't have a particular medicine in stock, they will order it and have it for you the next day!

FWIW -- (and I'll be accused of gossiping) the two splendid ladies at Peera aren't sisters -- the younger one worked there for over 12 years and was an employee, according to the older "sister". Anyway, the younger one recently got married and moved away and the older one is heartbroken (but happy for her friend), because they really did regard each other as sisters. She's hired a replacement who is eager, but in over her head -- at least right now. Her English language skills aren't good, either. But, the older sister is there just about all the time now and if the new gal is smart, she'll listen to everything the older sister tells the customers and be as wise as the former "younger sister".