U S Embassy In Bangkok Issues Security Warnings To Citizens In Thailand

webfact

US Embassy in Bangkok issues security warnings to citizens in Thailand

BANGKOK, 17 September 2012 (NNT) -The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok has updated its security warnings to U.S. citizens in Thailand, following a spate of attacks and protests worldwide over a film made in the US deemed insulting to Islam.

According to the emergency message issued by the embassy, U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain a heightened awareness and to keep a low profile when out in public, after four American personnel, including Ambassador Chris Stevens, were killed in Benghazi, Libya, last week.

The embassy further stated that it is saddened by the deaths and elaborated that U.S Embassies in Egypt and Yemen have also faced protests last week.

U.S. citizens are advised to call the U.S. Embassy at 02- 205-4000 or visit the U.S. Citizens Service website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/ for more information, as the most updated information will be posted on the site.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Royal Thai Police has reaffirmed that all related agencies are stepping up security measures in the face of growing risks. Security personnel and Metropolitan police have been closely monitoring the situation for any signs of possible attacks. However, the police are not aware of any specific threat to U.S. citizens in Thailand at the moment.

UPDATE:

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand has been informed by the Royal Thai Police that a demonstration involving several hundred people is planned on Wireless Road in front of the Embassy beginning between 1 PM and 2 PM on Tuesday, September 18. Demonstrators will assemble at Lumpini Park and march to the Embassy. The large number of demonstrators is expected to disrupt traffic in the area. Consequently, the Embassy will be closing to the public at noon on September 18 and non-essential personnel will be released. Visa and citizen services appointments scheduled for the afternoon of September 18 are being cancelled and rescheduled for later dates.

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok is not aware at this time of any specific threat to U.S. citizens in Thailand. As a general precaution, the U.S. Embassy advises you to exercise caution and to be aware of your surroundings, particularly around large crowds or gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence with little or no warning. You should avoid areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations or large gatherings. You should monitor local media to keep updated with the latest information about demonstrations and areas to avoid.

Source: Email from US Embassy, Bangkok

http://bangkok.usemb...itymessage.html

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-17 footer_n.gif

Edited by george
Added email from US Embassy

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope I can change my American accent into Tinglish, or Italian Englishhhaaa------coffee1.gif

start practising your g'day cobber.

Tip - g'day is one word not two.

Best idea ! You will get away with a bad Ozzie accent no probs, very easy to do and gets easier the more you drink ;)

Where we can see that movie ? I still have a few pop corns.

You would need a lot of popcorn...enough to choke yourself. After watching 14 mins I was almost ready to take my own life, after two hours I would be leaping off the back of my seat onto my head.

• Like 1

The movie was just as an excuse for the crazies to come out and kill people. If it wasn't the movie, they would have found some other excuse to kill Americans anyway. I really don't understand these Muslims. Everything offends them. Idiots.

Happily, nothing seems to get under your skin...wow...one word ... "Mirror"

Just punish the guy who made it ... And all this will be gone ....

Why punish the filmmaker and accept oppression from Arabs? Freedom of expression anyone?

Because Freedom of Speech shouldn't allow hatred of religion or ethnicity....wouldn't you agree that the world would be a happier place if there was less hate of others?

It doesn't allow for meaningless hatred of any kind but does allow for hatred that is attached to a number of things like political dissent . artistic expression and so on ....... Less hatred would be a good thing however lesser ability to express your hatred would not be because unfortunatly some things deserve to be hated and it's not up to the Law to decide that it's up to the people to lisiten and decide for themselves ....... unless like I said it's a "meaningless" act , which is in fact againt the law in the USA.

Not really a breaking news story. It seems that they warned their citizens from Timbuktu to London. Bet that 99.99% of the angry Muslims did not see the clip that should be classified as a film anyhow. Any 12 year old can make a better movie. Maybe it is about time that Muslims grow up become big boys (the girls have nothing to say anyhow) and clean own house first.

• Like 2