Anyone Have A Decent Vientiane Visa Run 'check-List'?

I have to go to Vientiane for my initial run on my education visa and am trying to make sure I have everything I need before I go (copies, photos, etc.).

Does anyone have a good checklist of the things I should have prepared? Or, add/subtract to what I already have:

* passport (and copies)

* Paperwork from school (and copies)

* photo copies

* US dollars (although I'm not exactly sure how much as it pertains to visa related expenses)

* Baht (not exactly sure how much on this either as it pertains to paying all visa related expenses)

* Visa request form (and copies)

And of course money for hotel, bus, taxi, food, etc.

Am I missing some things?

BTW - flying from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani, bussing from there across the border to Laos.

Thanks in advance!

Plus everything you have mentioned, once you enter Laos you need a copy of photo page of passport, Lao visa stamp page, entry into Laos immigration stamp page these are necessary for your Thai Visa at the Embassy. There is a photocopier upstairs at the morning section. Photos, one for Lao Visa, two for Thai visa.

Edited by Colabamumbai

• 3 weeks later...

I've just returned from Vientiane, having completed the non-ED visa application process.

The above posts cover the requirements very well, the only detail I'd add in response to the OP is that the current listed non-ED visa fee is 2,000 baht for single entry, 5,000 baht for multiple entry. The official dealing with my application said that they don't issue multiple entry non-ED visas, however.

Note that, as others have said, everything you need (forms, photocopier, glue, etc) are available in the embassy - no need to buy anything from the squads of guys selling forms, etc outside (though they have remarkable success in convincing people that there is).

• 1 month later...

Plus everything you have mentioned, once you enter Laos you need a copy of photo page of passport, Lao visa stamp page, entry into Laos immigration stamp page these are necessary for your Thai Visa at the Embassy. There is a photocopier upstairs at the morning section. Photos, one for Lao Visa, two for Thai visa.

So you need to take a copy of Lao visa stamp page? Thats the only thing from the Laos visa you need copies for when applying for thaivisa or did I misunderstand?

EDIT: Also regarding passport copies, what sides in the passport do you need copies of, only the photopage or something more? (like the side with the latest stamp or something).

Edited by jimmyzz

Copy of Lao visa is all that needed to prove entry into Laos.

Thanks for answer but now im abit confused tongue.png I thought you didnt have to apply for a Laos visa before the trip but could buy it at the bridge for 35$ish? Is it copy of that one I need for some stage later? (Is this the copy I need when getting my Thaivisa?)

laos visa on arrival costs 35$ or you can pay 1500 baht (35$ works out cheaper) they sometimes charge an extra 1$ if you don't have a photo or after 16:30 and maybe weekends.

you may also have to pay 9,000 kip or 40 baht to enter and also to leave laos payable after you get the visa on arrival, you can avoid this charge sometimes by just walking through and showing your passport or going through with a taxi driver etc.

the thai embassy may want to know which hotel your staying in in laos - if you don't have one yet you can just say laos plaza for the application form.

when you come back to thailand you can use the vientiane to udon thani bus they run at 14:00, 15:00 and 16:30 you can only buy tickets on the same day and they get fully booked so buy a ticket from the bus station early as possible - price 22,000 kip, it will get you into the center of udon thani and you can get a tuk-tuk to the airport etc for around 100 baht.

you can walk from the thai embassy to the bus station in 20 mins or take a tuk tuk for under 40 baht.

i went to vientiane 2 weeks ago and they told me to photocopy the main page of passport and also the page that had the entry stamp for laos - i didn't photocopy the laos visa, i guess either will be ok.

a taxi from the border to vientiane shouldn't cost anymore than 200 baht even if your travelling alone .

there's also a short bus trip accross the freedom bridge which is only 15 baht.

any questions please ask,

have a good trip