Question For Those Of You On Phuket

A couple of friends of mine, one Thai, one farang, built 1 and 2 storey houses here in Sai Yuan on Phuket.

Both properties are now being overshadowed by new builds totaling 6 floors. When building my property, I'd been told by the local OrBorJor the limit was 3 floors.

Has the limit been changed?

Edited by silsburyhill

Had a similar situation myself here in Kathu. Height limit in my area is 10 m, and the lot in front started construction of several houses that would have exceed 15m height with major blocking of my view. Checked with the amphur office and limit was still in place but the builder claimed he had the permit to build. I suspected the usual Thai golden grease process at work but then the builder ran out of money and the work was abandoned with only some concrete columns in place. A few months ago a very different person bought the land and he has a very eco-minded plan, well within the height limit, so hopefully my problem is moot.

For you the first thing would be to check with the amphur building permit people to see what the limit is. Hope that you know enough to keep it very low key, nicey nicey Thai style, don't identify the specific item and don't complain about the specific problem. Just establish the fact of the building limit in your specific location. These do change and such may have happened. Or a bit of grease may have eased the skids. What to do after you have the facts is very sticky, good luck.

Had a similar situation myself here in Kathu. Height limit in my area is 10 m, and the lot in front started construction of several houses that would have exceed 15m height with major blocking of my view. Checked with the amphur office and limit was still in place but the builder claimed he had the permit to build. I suspected the usual Thai golden grease process at work but then the builder ran out of money and the work was abandoned with only some concrete columns in place. A few months ago a very different person bought the land and he has a very eco-minded plan, well within the height limit, so hopefully my problem is moot.

For you the first thing would be to check with the amphur building permit people to see what the limit is. Hope that you know enough to keep it very low key, nicey nicey Thai style, don't identify the specific item and don't complain about the specific problem. Just establish the fact of the building limit in your specific location. These do change and such may have happened. Or a bit of grease may have eased the skids. What to do after you have the facts is very sticky, good luck.

Hmmm, that's another point, the actual height in meters. A very ugly condo in the next soi seemed to have gotten around the 3 floor limit by building the three floors on very high stilts. Eyesore.

I really did mean it re Thai and farang neighbours having had ugly slabs of sky high concrete slung up right alongside their homes and feel for them. However, since posting this have had some builders turn up one day and disappear the very next close to me. I'd asked one of the guys 'gee chan' 'how many floors' and he'd replied 3. But this could quite possibly be the same as the 3 storey-built-on-stilts get around. We shall see.

Thanks for the info, particularly regards the height in meters. Even if money's paid, the OBJ will have to reverse the decision if enough kick up a stink about it. They seem to have no qualms about setting about demolishing illegal builds anywhere else. Time to bring out the wrecking balls. They're ruining this once lovely area.