Greek Olive Oil

Living in Thailand for many years and a frequent user of olive oil, can't say

that i have ever seen Greek olive oil offered for sale anywhere, and i have been

to almost all the outlet that sells olive oils, so it look like you will have to do

with what there is...

IMHO the best Extra Virgin Olive Oil come from Italy. But good one big price

But you need to read the fine print. Some of the Italian olive oil companies use oil from Spain and elsewhere.

My bottle of Bertoli "Imported from Italy" claims it may include oil from Greece as well as Italy, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey and Morocco.

I'm fairly certain I've seen some Greek oil in Friendship Supermarket, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Suradit69

Bertolli is Spain owned and no Italian would use it if not desperate :-)

I'm neither Italian nor desperate, but the label does say "Imported from Italy." Although it's ownership has changed hands a few times, it sounds very much rooted in Italy. None of which, really has anything to do with the topic of the thread.

The dreaded pseudo Italian Bertolli that has a seed oil business in Milan that only desperate Italians will use states that it sometimes includes GREEK OIL in its products. Maybe desperate Greeks sometimes use it too.

Bertolli is a historical Italian brand for Extra Vergine Olive Oil. It grew into an international brand of Italian and Mediterranean food. The company was founded in 1865, in Lucca, Tuscany, by Francesco Bertolli, and was then bought by Unilever.

Bertolli is known for its olive oil, in which it is the global market leader,[1] but has now widened its range to include pasta sauces and ready meals.

In 2008, Unilever sold the olive oil business to Grupo SOS, Spain’s second-largest food group, for £500m as part of its disposal of non-core businesses.[2] The transaction included the sale of the Italian Maya, Dante, and San Giorgio olive oil and seed oil businesses, as well as the factory at Inveruno, Province of Milan, Lombardy; Unilever retained the Bertolli brand for all other categories including margarine, pasta sauces, and frozen meals

Whatever. Bertolli is one of the most commercial-low cost brand of olive oil and the quality is very low.

I didn't mean to say anything personal.

Wonderful olives in Greece by the way, but still something to do about a good quality oil.

Talk about It. oil in a Gr. oil thread looks to me same topic biggrin.png

Bertolli was one of the brands caught up in the olive oil scam a while back. A good extra virgin olive oil doesn't come cheap, and even when the customer pays up for quality, there's still no guarantees.

http://www.dailymail...able-truth.html

Beat me to it. That scam sure turned a few heads.

I love Greek olive oil, and I bring it back with me from trips to the States or to Germany. I have never found it on the shelves here.