Looks Like Possible Flooding If This Rain Continues

smedly

Yes last night the thunder was so intense it was jolting things on my table. Im sure soikhaonoi was a river again.

As thunder is heard about 1 second per mile after lightning is seen, it seems that the heavy lightning was about 4 miles east of the railway tracks last night towards the lake? Anyone out there have any lightning problems

PS: What I mean is that when you see lightning, you count seconds until the thunder is heard then that is how many miles away that the lightning struck.

Yes last night the thunder was so intense it was jolting things on my table. Im sure soikhaonoi was a river again.

As thunder is heard about 1 second per mile after lightning is seen, it seems that the heavy lightning was about 4 miles east of the railway tracks last night towards the lake? Anyone out there have any lightning problems

PS: What I mean is that when you see lightning, you count seconds until the thunder is heard then that is how many miles away that the lightning struck.

I think not quite correct.

Sound travels 1 kilometer in roughly 3 seconds and 1 mile in roughly 5 seconds.

So you can start counting seconds from the flash and then divide to see how far away the lightning struck. If it takes 10 seconds for the thunder to roll in, the lightning struck about 2 miles or 3 kilometers away.

Yes last night the thunder was so intense it was jolting things on my table. Im sure soikhaonoi was a river again. As thunder is heard about 1 second per mile after lightning is seen, it seems that the heavy lightning was about 4 miles east of the railway tracks last night towards the lake? Anyone out there have any lightning problems

Actually, the speed of sound is around 343 metres per second (1,126 ft/s). (It does vary some with differences in altitude, air density and air moisture content). The usual rule of thumb is one kilometer for every three seconds and approximately one mile every five seconds.

Yes last night the thunder was so intense it was jolting things on my table. Im sure soikhaonoi was a river again. As thunder is heard about 1 second per mile after lightning is seen, it seems that the heavy lightning was about 4 miles east of the railway tracks last night towards the lake? Anyone out there have any lightning problems

Actually, the speed of sound is around 343 metres per second (1,126 ft/s). (It does vary some with differences in altitude, air density and air moisture content). The usual rule of thumb is one kilometer for every three seconds and approximately one mile every five seconds.

Thanks for clarifying that thumbsup.gif - I had always used the same rule ot thumb calculation as Gone but cannot remember who originally told me (probably my parents many moons ago). As two people have quoted the rule of thumb above can i presume it is actually vaguely accurate?

In the Poker bar last night on Beach road when the wind whipped up soon followed by torrential rain, loud thunder crashes that had many a Thai woman covering their ears and lightning flashes that lit up the sea.

Beach road was a torrent of water for a few hours and we were stranded in the bar. Happily we had good fun, good music and great rock n roll thunder booming around us with the lightning providing the laser lights tongue.png

I think not quite correct.

Sound travels 1 kilometer in roughly 3 seconds and 1 mile in roughly 5 seconds.

So you can start counting seconds from the flash and then divide to see how far away the lightning struck. If it takes 10 seconds for the thunder to roll in, the lightning struck about 2 miles or 3 kilometers away.

You are correct. I made a typo. I should have said 1 second per 1 kilometre.

As a Process Engineer in the Oil Industry we use the safety factor to announce site wide that when there is a lightning/Thunder count of 7 seconds we clear all structures site wide.

Actually also, the speed of sound is effected by humidity, elevation etc. as well but this thumb rule is pretty much world wide in the Oil industry.

So in all reality in Northern Canada the 7 second rule would mean around 3.5 kilometres away.

Hmmmm..........is this really how the oil industry base evacuations of stuctures??ermm.gif I think not, well not any that I've had the misfortune to work on!

Apart from the 1st sentance above stating 1 second per kilometre, and the 4th sentance claiming the 7 second rule would mean around 3.5 kilometre's away, sorry the maths don't add up, the oil industry utilize far more acurate methods of evaluation rather than a rule of thumb to ensure the safety of personnel and assets (equipment).sick.gif

Thanks for clarifying that thumbsup.gif - I had always used the same rule ot thumb calculation as Gone but cannot remember who originally told me (probably my parents many moons ago). As two people have quoted the rule of thumb above can i presume it is actually vaguely accurate?

Speed of sound at sealevel is 340m/sec so 3 seconds = roughly 1 Km.

Hmmmm..........is this really how the oil industry base evacuations of stuctures??ermm.gif I think not, well not any that I've had the misfortune to work on!

Apart from the 1st sentance above stating 1 second per kilometre, and the 4th sentance claiming the 7 second rule would mean around 3.5 kilometre's away, sorry the maths don't add up, the oil industry utilize far more acurate methods of evaluation rather than a rule of thumb to ensure the safety of personnel and assets (equipment).sick.gif

I have been doing the Oil industry for 30 years strait and been an Engineer for the past 12 years and YES it is how we do it at least in Canada. I have worked all over the world but have never actually had lightning storms in any except Canada.

Don't think that these Oil Mega Companies like Shell, Syncrude and Suncor Don't have any other means of detouring lightning strikes because they do. I have never even heard of a case where lightning has hit a structure in an Oil Refinery or Upgrader.

It is not the workers who decide if the 7 second rule is being applied and making their own decisions to come down but the Safety Engineers who make the announcement plant wide. I have also never heard of anyone getting fired for coming down early either lol. When I was on the tools and just saw lightning within a 10 mile radius or so I was GONE !!!!!

So what were the rules in the ones you have been in? Have you ever had to clear the structures due to lightning? If so tell me what refineries you were in when your different rules applied please.

Speed of sound at sealevel is 340m/sec so 3 seconds = roughly 1 Km.

I think baloo (one that you quoted) just said the exact thing you are saying mate.

You are correct. I made a typo. I should have said 1 second per 1 kilometre.

As a Process Engineer in the Oil Industry we use the safety factor to announce site wide that when there is a lightning/Thunder count of 7 seconds we clear all structures site wide.

So in all reality in Northern Canada the 7 second rule would mean around 3.5 kilometres away.

You seem to be a bit confused...

First you repeat your typo of 1 second / km instead of 3 second /km...

And from all I know, even in Canada, the same physical laws about speed of sound are valid as in the rest of the world... so even in Canada, 7 seconds would give an average distance of 2.4 km and not of 3.5km...