American Tv Shows Copied By Thailand

omnilangur

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US Sitcoms last hurrah was Seinfeld. Although it likely does not appeal to the British sense of humor.

To be honest, and this is my opinion only there are two shows in the US which contain what I would define as British type humour, granted they are cartoons and these are American Dad and Family Guy, there is some very clever, mocking humour in these shows and very funny at times, my favourite episode of American Dad, was when Stan gets fed up with the American way of life and goes to live in Saudi....I guess the genesis for both these shows is the Simpsons, which at its time was quite funny but these days comes across as a bit "dated"

The acclaimed British comedies I see (Little Britain, AbFab, Catherine Tate, Gavin & Stacey, etc.) don't do much for me, either. To say nothing of the likes of the even lower-brow Mr. Bean and Benny Hill.

Fawlty Towers? Porridge? Yes Minister? The Office? Extras? Father Ted? Rising Damp? Hancock's Half Hour? Alan Partidge? Red Dwarf? None of those do anything for you?

The acclaimed British comedies I see (Little Britain, AbFab, Catherine Tate, Gavin & Stacey, etc.) don't do much for me, either. To say nothing of the likes of the even lower-brow Mr. Bean and Benny Hill.

Fawlty Towers? Porridge? Yes Minister? The Office? Extras? Father Ted? Rising Damp? Hancock's Half Hour? Alan Partidge? Red Dwarf? None of those do anything for you?

Nope. I spend my time outside in the fresh air.

.and all based on a derivation of an American musical genre.

Which one could argue derived from African music during slavery in the US, certainly in the case of the Blues, which developed into R&B, which developed into Rock & Roll etc etc.

Fawlty Towers, yes. But ancient already.

The Office and Extras, so-so. I do like Ricky Gervais, though.

Have not seen the others.

Which one could argue derived from African music during slavery in the US, certainly in the case of the Blues, which developed into R&B, which developed into Rock & Roll etc etc.

Laughing at all the instant musicological experts on the forum. They suddenly know the roots of all popular musical genres.

Take your TV outside then.

Take your TV outside then.

Computer is outside - reading the news after just finishing some yardwork. TVs are yesterday dude. We live in the age of portability.

Quite true.

But again, you have to give the US credit for the musical genres that were birthed on its soil: jazz, swing, big band, dixieland, blues, soul, R&B, gospel, rockabilly, rock and roll...and even if you don't like them, hip-hop, rap, disco, country western, et al.

Quite true.

But again, you have to give the US credit for the musical genres that were birthed on its soil: jazz, swing, big band, dixieland, blues, soul, R&B, gospel, rockabilly, rock and roll...and even if you don't like them, hip-hop, rap, disco, country western, et al.

LMAO that you think all of those are purely US inventions.

Laughing at all the instant musicological experts on the forum. They suddenly know the roots of all popular musical genres.

Perhaps they knew them many moons ago but decided to educate others on this outstanding thread.

I've played in Blues bands since the mid 80's and finally have an opportunity to share some of my infinite wisdom with you lesser children of the soil.......whistling.gif

Laughing at someone who uses the word musicological instead of music.

• Like 1

Where have professed to be a musiccological expert ?...I play a bit of guitar, I love blues, have attempted at times to learn how to play Robert Johnson type blues, (badly I might add) and having an interest in this type of music I have looked at the history of the development of this genre.of music both past and to the present

So with that being said, please indicate in my previous post where i have said anything which is factually incorrect

In conclusion stop being a jerk.gif

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

I'll wait while you do the research and find out that my use of the word was indeed correct. lol

Edited by somtumlion

Quite true.

LMAO that you think all of those are purely US inventions.

Where do you think they were invented?

Yes, slaves and immigrant groups contributed from their varous musical heritages...but it is the mixing of those heritages in America that led to their formation.

Computer is outside - reading the news after just finishing some yardwork. TVs are yesterday dude. We live in the age of portability.

Yeah, instead of people sitting at home staring at a screen, people are walking about staring at a screen. Fantastic.

Where have professed to be a musiccological expert ?...I play a bit of guitar, I love blues, have attempted at times to learn how to play Robert Johnson type blues, (badly I might add) and having an interest in this type of music I have looked at the history of the development of this genre.of music both past and to the present

So with that being said, please indicate in my previous post where i have said anything which is factually incorrect

In conclusion stop being a jerk.gif

Music does not develop in a vacuum, and does not develop in one area only. The "American Jazz" has its roots in African, Caribbean, French, Central and South American and many other regions. The influences came together largely in America, but to discount the origins of those influences isn't correct. Not aimed at you particularly, but more at the "US is the only innovator in the world" crowd.

• Like 2

I'll wait while you do the research and find out that my use of the word was indeed correct. lol

Still waiting. Guess I'll give you a little help.

musicological - of or relating to musicology

musicology - the scholarly study of music

Wasn't saying that it wasn't correct, was saying for the purposes of this discussion, comes across as being a bit unnecessarily wordy and pretentious.

Music does not develop in a vacuum, and does not develop in one area only. The "American Jazz" has its roots in African, Caribbean, French, Central and South American and many other regions. The influences came together largely in America, but to discount the origins of those influences isn't correct. Not aimed at you particularly, but more at the "US is the only innovator in the world" crowd.

As I said!

The particular environment in America in the 19th and 20th centuries, the mixing of influences from slave and immigrant groups, is what led to the development of new genres of music on American soil.

It couldn't have happened back in Africa, France, Scotland, or wherever.

Wasn't saying that it wasn't correct, was saying for the purposes of this discussion, comes across as being a bit unnecessarily wordy and pretentious.

But you didn't say that. You might have thought it, but you didn't say it. Words are power - always be precise.

As I said!

The particular environment in America in the 19th and 20th centuries, the mixing of influences from slave and immigrant groups, is what led to the development of new genres of music on American soil.

Its fine to be happy with that, but perhaps tone down the nationalistic lingo slightly? You sound like a Thai person :)

Still waiting.

cheesy.gif

You gave me six minutes! And you question the lives of other people?!

But you didn't say that. You might have thought it, but you didn't say it. Words are power - always be precise.

All I said was that i was laughing at your use of the word. You were the one who assumed from that that i thought the word was wrong. Assumptions can be dangerous - always be careful.

As I said!

Its fine to be happy with that, but perhaps tone down the nationalistic lingo slightly? You sound like a Thai person :)

What nationalistic language? It's a fact that these new musical genres were developed by Americans of different backgrounds in America. I didn't wave a flag or sing bloody God Bless America.

Many new musical genres were birthed in the UK, too: prog rock, punk, ska...

Happy now?

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

As I said!

Its fine to be happy with that, but perhaps tone down the nationalistic lingo slightly? You sound like a Thai person smile.png

What nationalistic language? It's a fact that these new musical genres were developed by Americans of different backgrounds in America. I didn't wave a flag or sing bloody God Bless America.

Happy now?

Yes lol

As I said!

Its fine to be happy with that, but perhaps tone down the nationalistic lingo slightly? You sound like a Thai person smile.png

Happy now?

Pink Floyd are/were prog rock ...I'll get my coat

You gave me six minutes! And you question the lives of other people?!

Took google .00052234 seconds to find. lol 'd say the question was fair.

1) The question was based on an incorrect assumption.

2) When you post a question on a forum, it's not the same as asking a person directly face to face. Waiting six minutes and then assuming the person is struggling with your question is a little daft.