Where Is The Cheapest Place For A Farang In Thailand?

NeverSure

I don't need much except hot and cold running water (shower), electricity, a way to do basic cooking, high speed internet and a scooter. I have no interest in a big city or the sex trade. I'm not much of a drinker. I don't need to party or hang out in bars.

I have a decent income and savings but I don't want to spend it all. I'm afraid of inflation making it harder and harder each year and I want to last. I live a debt free lifestyle and always save something. I don't want to spend all of my income, but rather save part of it.

I qualify for a retirement visa and plan to do that. I have a US$3,000 a month income which will drop to $1500 in 12 years. That's because I have a note due me which will pay off in 12 years. I need to save that money for when it pays off. I also have decent savings but I don't want to spend that either. So basically I want to live on $US1,500 (my SS) per month, total.

I like rural areas as long as there are the items I listed in the beginning, and at least a decent store to shop for food. I don't mind an occasional trip to a larger town for other shopping.

I plan to work hard to learn to speak at least some Thai.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a loner who doesn't need to be entertained and who just wants to live in Thailand on a budget?

Thank you very much.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need much except hot and cold running water (shower), electricity, a way to do basic cooking, high speed internet and a scooter. I have no interest in a big city or the sex trade. I'm not much of a drinker. I don't need to party or hang out in bars.

If all above is you: Wherever you want, in Thailand.

Ok, the Internet is limiting it a bit, but 1500US$/~45.000 Baht gives you everything you need, under the posted guideline.

I know people, earning only 30-35.000, but living a 'hang out in bars' life in Phuket. Probably the/one place with the highest living costs, in Thailand.

Edited by noob7

The North is cheaper than the South generally. Around Chiang Mai there are a lot of houses for rent in rural villages, or modern Moo Bahn's if you prefer, not more than a half an hour from the City and rents are very reasonable, about half what they would be nearer the City. Plenty of cheap market food available for home cooking and Supermarkets within 10 minutes or so. All the usual internet connections are available pretty much wherever you choose to live and if you stay out of the City during 'the smokey season' then things are nowhere near as bad as they can be within.

Perhaps I forgot to state. I don't want to spend all of my US$1500 SS check either. I want to be a saver so if I can live on $1,000 staying away from bars etc. I would be even happier.

Any ideas of areas would be highly appreciated.

@NeverSure

I live in Chiang Mai. I live in a nice condo I rent and have a Honda scooter I bought new when I got here last year. With rent, food, utilities (electricity , Internet, and cellphone), gas for the scooter, and other incidentals but not counting the major travel I do and big ticket toys (I do photography and SCUBA diving), my basic expenses run roughly 31,000 baht/mo (approx. $1,000 US). I could reduce that amount if i wanted to or had to buy i don't deprive myself :)

I'm not sure what the differential would be for where you end up but that will give you some parameters to work with.

Hope this help and welcome to Thailand.

David

Perhaps I forgot to state. I don't want to spend all of my US$1500 SS check either. I want to be a saver so if I can live on $1,000 staying away from bars etc. I would be even happier.

Any ideas of areas would be highly appreciated.

The North is cheaper than the South generally. Around Chiang Mai there are a lot of houses for rent in rural villages, or modern Moo Bahn's if you prefer, not more than a half an hour from the City and rents are very reasonable, about half what they would be nearer the City. Plenty of cheap market food available for home cooking and Supermarkets within 10 minutes or so. All the usual internet connections are available pretty much wherever you choose to live and if you stay out of the City during 'the smokey season' then things are nowhere near as bad as they can be within.

@NeverSure

I live in Chiang Mai. I live in a nice condo I rent and have a Honda scooter I bought new when I got here last year. With rent, food, utilities (electricity , Internet, and cellphone), gas for the scooter, and other incidentals but not counting the major travel I do and big ticket toys (I do photography and SCUBA diving), my basic expenses run roughly 31,000 baht/mo (approx. $1,000 US). I could reduce that amount if i wanted to or had to buy i don't deprive myself smile.png

I'm not sure what the differential would be for where you end up but that will give you some parameters to work with.

Hope this help and welcome to Thailand.

David

These sound like really good ideas and I really appreciate the replies with real numbers. I can do that. Paying cash for a scooter and finding relatively cheap rent with the basic needed utitlites is all I really need.

Your ideas will work and I really liked Chiang Mai.

What country did you come from ?

US.

I have a house in Ubon Ratchathani. You can get a stylish house there for peanuts. I have a good internet connection and you can buy western products in the supermarket. People generally are pleasant, kindly and helpful. I couldn't live there all the time, particularly given that you can't buy a western newspaper or any books in English. If you are an introvert have a high threshold to boredom you might like it. I like it in doses of 3 weeks at a time. I have a house in Pattaya for when I want a bit f excitement.
  • Like 1

You were doing ok until you got to the high speed internet.

Anyone that asks about the cheapest place to live in Thailand is doomed before they ever begin. If you are living close to the edge, there's no better place to stay than the US now that it has become a welfare state with more than 1/2 of the populace on public assistance of one sort or another.

Edited by KeyserSoze01

You were doing ok until you got to the high speed internet.

Anyone that asks about the cheapest place to live in Thailand is doomed before they ever begin. If you are living close to the edge, there's no better place to stay than the US now that it has become a welfare state with more than 1/2 of the populace on public assistance of one sort or another.

I agree. Maybe you didn't look at my OP. I'm not on the edge. I'm just very frugal and wanting to save.

Edited by NeverSure

NeverSure is that what You are? I DON'T mean any harm with asking You that! I felt the same before I moved to Thailand. But I think that You must have a long time economical perspective of Your future in Thailand. You can absolutely live here within Your budget plus Your savings.

Especially if You stay in rural area with INTERNET, i totally agree with You on that point. BUT if You meet a lovely lady and start a family things are going to change dramatically. I mean money wise...

I would say go for it!! BUT be "street smart" and take care of Your money...Best of luck!

If you have that sort of disposable income, why the hell would you want to make your life cheaper.

The money is coming in continually every month.

Don't become a cheap Charlie of Thailand. Come here enjoy yourself, travel and find the place that suits you best.

Again if you have that sort of disposable income, don't skimp yourself. Enjoy the rest of your life.

NeverSure is that what You are? I DON'T mean any harm with asking You that! I felt the same before I moved to Thailand. But I think that You must have a long time economical perspective of Your future in Thailand. You can absolutely live here within Your budget plus Your savings.

Especially if You stay in rural area with INTERNET, i totally agree with You on that point. BUT if You meet a lovely lady and start a family things are going to change dramatically. I mean money wise...

I would say go for it!! BUT be "street smart" and take care of Your money...Best of luck!

Well, I am very truthful not only in my revealing my financial situation, but in my desire to be frugal. I'm afraid of inflation and wanting to be ready for it. I also mentioned that I have US$1500 per month which will stop in about 12 years so I want to save it.

Not only do I have savings, but I have things of value to sell before I come. One example would be my late model Ford F150 4x4 pickup which is free and clear. I have other things of noticeable value such as an extensive gun and ammo collection which I would sell on gunbroker.com.

So, I would arrive with substantial savings and $US3k per month dropping to $US1500 per month in 12 years. I plan to save that $1500 per month. Anything I buy initially including a scooter would come out of pocket.

Who knows what the final $1500 per month will really be worth in 12+ years? Since I can't know, I must prepare. Therefore, I hope to live on little and really put some money away because it's all I'll ever have.

As for getting married, I really doubt it. I'm 66 and been there done that. I don't get under the ether over some woman any more. I know what they are and it isn't just Thailand. I'm really not interested in being someone's whole family's ATM machine. I'm not dumb enough to believe that some cute young thing would be attracted to me for any reason other than that.

Don't count yourself out. There are plenty of old and ugly girls in Thailand, and there are also women closer to your age that are attractive and not out just for your money. Ease into it, use your head (big one on your shoulders), be smart and you will be fine. I have been married to a cute young thing for the past twenty years living mostly in Hawaii and a few years in Maryland and intend to make the move to rural Thailand in a couple of years (I am only 49 years old). We are going to build a modest house (est $30,000 USD), and our plan is to budget $1000 per month for living expenses (but we est. spending less than $700 each month). $1500 per month is more than enough in Issan (Buriram, Khorat, Surin, etc.) or Chang Mai. Chang Mai is cooler temperature wise. Make the move you will be fine on the amount of money you have.

Well, I am very truthful not only in my revealing my financial situation, but in my desire to be frugal. I'm afraid of inflation and wanting to be ready for it. I also mentioned that I have US$1500 per month which will stop in about 12 years so I want to save it.

Not only do I have savings, but I have things of value to sell before I come. One example would be my late model Ford F150 4x4 pickup which is free and clear. I have other things of noticeable value such as an extensive gun and ammo collection which I would sell on gunbroker.com.

So, I would arrive with substantial savings and $US3k per month dropping to $US1500 per month in 12 years. I plan to save that $1500 per month. Anything I buy initially including a scooter would come out of pocket.

Who knows what the final $1500 per month will really be worth in 12+ years? Since I can't know, I must prepare. Therefore, I hope to live on little and really put some money away because it's all I'll ever have.

As for getting married, I really doubt it. I'm 66 and been there done that. I don't get under the ether over some woman any more. I know what they are and it isn't just Thailand. I'm really not interested in being someone's whole family's ATM machine. I'm not dumb enough to believe that some cute young thing would be attracted to me for any reason other than that.

Don't count yourself out. There are plenty of old and ugly girls in Thailand, and there are also women closer to your age that are attractive and not out just for your money. Ease into it, use your head (big one on your shoulders), be smart and you will be fine. I have been married to a cute young thing for the past twenty years living mostly in Hawaii and a few years in Maryland and intend to make the move to rural Thailand in a couple of years (I am only 49 years old). We are going to build a modest house (est $30,000 USD), and our plan is to budget $1000 per month for living expenses (but we est. spending less than $700 each month). $1500 per month is more than enough in Issan (Buriram, Khorat, Surin, etc.) or Chang Mai. Chang Mai is cooler temperature wise. Make the move you will be fine on the amount of money you have.

Yeah, Chiang Mai. About women. I'm serious. If it isn't PC to just have a girlfriend, then I'll settle for a massage. I've spent all the money and had all the hassle I ever need from marriage.

It doesn't matter where you live in Thailand, it only remains low cost if you can manage to avoid stopping someone else spending your money.

At sometime down the line you'll be faced with a young woman wanting you to satisfy her 'young woman's needs' - At the time this happens there will be a mistranslation of what 'a young woman's needs' are.

You'll have one idea, she'll have another - It is very likely that you will confuse 'a young woman's needs' with your own 'old man's needs'.

For the record, and in the hope you remember, 'a young woman's needs' - a home, a family, a car, pretties for the house, pretties for herself - (and here in Thailand) - an income for her mother.

You are going to have a hard head to keep away from that mess.

My wife sucks me dry every month. What seems like a good income doesn't go very far.

My advice to the OP: stay away from women and remain single. Your wallet will LOVE you.

Edited by meatballs

You can actually achieve a decent enough life in BKK for this amount.

B5,000 - Clean room with hot water and free WiFi

B8,000 - Groceries and sundries

B1,500 - Utilities (if you keep the air-con use to a minimum)

B14,500

This would leave you with approx B15,000 to achieve your life. Using buses and boats rather than taxis will keep your transport costs low (but might test your patience). That said I bought a Suzuki 125 3 years ago (5 year old bike at the time) for B15,000 and that little thing is still churning along. With the B800-1,000/month on fuel, the B2,300 per year on insurance and B200/month on basic maintenance (anything else is wasted on BKKs roads as your bike will take a beating) brings the monthly transport cost for 3 years to B1,800/month.

I don't think you are interested in Bangkok, but just making the point that it is possible to live in the capital city with this kind of budget if you are going to stay away from Western trappings, bars, etc.

• Like 2

I would say that whilst it is possible the one important thing that could wipe you out, is that scooter you spoke of, you have one accident on that, or any other accident or illness and the medical financial consequences could be severe. Make sure you got that aspect covered in any budget you work on.

Edited by CharlieH

That's a great post, draftvader, you make a good point that even in Bangkok frugal living is possible. I'd go a step further and suggest that, while it may not be the ideal city for the OP, some things may be available cheaper as there is more choice of where you shop.

I would say that whilst it is possible the one important thing that could wipe you out, is that scooter you spoke of, you have one accident on that, or any other accident or illness and the medical financial consequences could be severe. Make sure you got that aspect covered in any budget you work on.

True enough. Basic insurance does not cover it (the stuff they sell at the DLT) but proper insurance does. My insurance premium does not provide for the bike (as it is not worth it) but does provide for 3rd party damage and my first 24 hours in A&E. After that you require health insurance and that cost varies massively depending on age. So add about B1,000-1,500 to that cost and make sure that your people in Thailand know that you don't need to be taken to the private hospital, but the leading government hospital (my choice is Siriraj). It is not wise to take an accident to a private hospital because they lack the experience in dealing with them. Your local government hospital patches up numerous motorbike spills each day, but your private hospital does not. Cheap insurance will easily cover costs in a decent government hospital.

A warning. Travel insurance mostly doesn't cover riding a motorbike.

• Like 1

You could live many areas of Thailand easily on your budget. If you donot mind letting us know what you would want to so well in Thailand with your time and interests we could probably point you in the right direct a little easier.I am like you in many ways. I have a stable strong retirement and am still frugal.

I personnaly would stay away from Chiang Mai.Pattaya and Bangkok.There are other areas that offer similar urban comforts. Loie and Nong Khai are probably a couple of the best,but distant from international airport.I like Pitsanulok as my all time favorite.All these areas are quite doable on your budget.

The more we know what you require the better we can answer your questions ok.

It doesn't matter where you live in Thailand, it only remains low cost if you can manage to avoid stopping someone else spending your money.

At sometime down the line you'll be faced with a young woman wanting you to satisfy her 'young woman's needs' - At the time this happens there will be a mistranslation of what 'a young woman's needs' are.

You'll have one idea, she'll have another - It is very likely that you will confuse 'a young woman's needs' with your own 'old man's needs'.

For the record, and in the hope you remember, 'a young woman's needs' - a home, a family, a car, pretties for the house, pretties for herself - (and here in Thailand) - an income for her mother.

You are going to have a hard head to keep away from that mess.

Wanna bet, LOL? Twice in my life I've given half of everything I had to an American woman and there are those here who would do it again.

Again, I'm not dumb enough to believe that there's a cute young thing anywhere in the world who'd be interested in me for any reason other than my ATM card. As I said before, if it isn't possible in Thailand to just date without supporting the whole family, then I'll get a massage. :)

You could live many areas of Thailand easily on your budget. If you donot mind letting us know what you would want to so well in Thailand with your time and interests we could probably point you in the right direct a little easier.I am like you in many ways. I have a stable strong retirement and am still frugal.

I personnaly would stay away from Chiang Mai.Pattaya and Bangkok.There are other areas that offer similar urban comforts. Loie and Nong Khai are probably a couple of the best,but distant from international airport.I like Pitsanulok as my all time favorite.All these areas are quite doable on your budget.

The more we know what you require the better we can answer your questions ok.

I'd play some golf and weather permitting explore on my scooter. Maybe I'd buy a car and explore even more. I spend a LOT of time on the internet for various reasons. I'd work out including going for walks. I'd read a lot. If I had friends I'd cook dinner for them just as I do here. I'm pretty simple.

Yes, I can still "do that" so if it's possible in Thailand without commiting, I might date some. Who knows?