Bangkok Immigration Launches Re-Entry Permit Queue Online

Hm. When I get my yearly extension of stay, I apply for a multiple re-entry permit right away. I don't know why I would want to be caught by surprise, suddenly knowing on a Friday evening that I have to leave on Saturday, and not having a re-entry permit in my passport... Who plans like this?

That said, I doubt the whole philosophy of the re-entry permit. Somebody asked earlier which countries don't apply it: the answer is, all countries I know. For example, I lived in Taiwan. I had a work permit and an Alien Residence Certificate (not these books they have in Thailand, i.e. Work Permit and PR book, but just a card that fit into my wallet). This meant that I could leave and re-enter the country at any time. I have Asian friends who live in the EU, and once they have their Work Permit or Residency, they can leave and enter as they please.

The whole Thai idea of the re-entry permit, after we have already been granted non-immigrant status due to Work Permit or Retirement Visa, or even Permanent Residence, does not really make any sense at all.

Makes perfect sense. They can get much more money from all the foreign residents and visitors.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of another reason for foreigners with non-imm visas and work permits, or people with a PR.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From tombkk: "Hm. When I get my yearly extension of stay, I apply for a multiple re-entry permit right away. I don't know why I would want to be caught by surprise, suddenly knowing on a Friday evening that I have to leave on Saturday, and not having a re-entry permit in my passport... Who plans like this?"

The reason was that I was requesting an early renewal of my retirement extension and CW Immigration would only grant it on the day before I was to fly out. I went there several days earleir with my airplane ticket and a letter of explanation but I was told to come back on Friday before I flew out on Saturday. The process was complicated because the immigration office who talked to me on Tuesday told me to come directly to her and that I wouldn't need to queu again but she was out for training on that Friday so I did have to queu again and just barely got my re-entry before immigration closing time. I think that it had something to do with my extension only reaching the thirtieth day after its granting on that Friday before I flew out. I'll need to do the same this year since I'll need to leave on March 16th while my extension expires on May 12th. I hope that they'll make another exception for me but I don't see any alternative to waiting to pick up my re-entry queu number until after I've received the extension of stay so I anticipate being at CW for several hours. If anyone knows a quicker way to get the extension and re-entry, please let me know. Thanks.

I'm not following. Why do you apply for your re-entry the day before you leave, rather than the day you receive your extension of stay?

And if your extension expires on May 12th, you'll have to renew it before that date, so you'll be fine travelling on May 16th.

I totally don't get your point.

His travel is March 16th (not May).

Hm. When I get my yearly extension of stay, I apply for a multiple re-entry permit right away. I don't know why I would want to be caught by surprise, suddenly knowing on a Friday evening that I have to leave on Saturday, and not having a re-entry permit in my passport... Who plans like this?

That said, I doubt the whole philosophy of the re-entry permit. Somebody asked earlier which countries don't apply it: the answer is, all countries I know. For example, I lived in Taiwan. I had a work permit and an Alien Residence Certificate (not these books they have in Thailand, i.e. Work Permit and PR book, but just a card that fit into my wallet). This meant that I could leave and re-enter the country at any time. I have Asian friends who live in the EU, and once they have their Work Permit or Residency, they can leave and enter as they please.

The whole Thai idea of the re-entry permit, after we have already been granted non-immigrant status due to Work Permit or Retirement Visa, or even Permanent Residence, does not really make any sense at all.

Makes perfect sense. They can get much more money from all the foreign residents and visitors.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of another reason for foreigners with non-imm visas and work permits, or people with a PR.

I can - it is called 'inelasticity of demand'.

;)

• Like 1

Tombkk: My extension expires on May 12, 2013 but I must leave Thailand on March 16th and won't be able to return before May 12th so I'll have to apply for both my extension and my re-entry before March 16th. I plan to do both on the same day at CW and was wondering if there was any way of avoiding having to get my re-entry queu number AFTER I receive the extension. Last time I had to wait in the extension queu until nearly closing time and then rush to get my re-entry. It was a near thing. I will leave on the 8:00 flight to NRT (I think it's TG 676) so getting the re-entry at the airport isn't a possibility since I hate to get up earlier than 5:00 AM. If anyone knows how to finesse getting the extension and re-entry more easilty, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Tombkk: My extension expires on May 12, 2013 but I must leave Thailand on March 16th and won't be able to return before May 12th so I'll have to apply for both my extension and my re-entry before March 16th. I plan to do both on the same day at CW and was wondering if there was any way of avoiding having to get my re-entry queu number AFTER I receive the extension. Last time I had to wait in the extension queu until nearly closing time and then rush to get my re-entry. It was a near thing. I will leave on the 8:00 flight to NRT (I think it's TG 676) so getting the re-entry at the airport isn't a possibility since I hate to get up earlier than 5:00 AM. If anyone knows how to finesse getting the extension and re-entry more easilty, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

No way around it, although you can ask the officergiving the extension to help you. You have to que two lines.

This is may something, but still not good!! w00t.gif

.... Reentry-Visas has to be possible to make at THE AIRPORT !!

Sorry, was to fast. wai.gif

Page 2:

Also, the Immigration desk at Suvarnabhumi for re-entry permits is only for those who have outbound international flights that same day or perhaps early the next morning (the early morning hours after midnight).

Even if it might be convenient for a non international flyer to go there, they won't issue a non-flyer a re-entry permit there....

=> There is again a queu for re-entry-visas at the Airport. They do make the pictures too! wai.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Two days in advance?

What about the people who have an emergency and get an urgent flight somewhere? Are the covered.

Every time I extend my retirement visa, I get a multiple re-entry permit. Saves my pages and lets me make last minute trips.

Can you get a multiple re-entry permit valid for a year? I was told, it is just valid for one 90 day period and hence totally useless!

Or was I told wrong or does it depend on the visa type, which is non immigrant education in my case.

My bad, I thought it was the same month.

Somebody said (in this thread or another) that re-entry permits are quite normal and applied by many countries. That is not true. Some countries have a restriction on whether you can leave the country while waiting for your Permanent Residence, and some countries issue single-entry tourist visas. I know of no other country that requires people living there permanently on business or marriage visa (and their extensions of stay) or - get this - have a Permanent Residency Permit to apply for re-entry permits.

Anyway, Thailand does require us to have a re-entry permit and extensions of stay, to be renewed not more than X days before expiry, so I see your problem.

You cannot apply for the re-entry before you have the new extension of stay. Pulling the queue number for the re-entry before having the new extension stamped into the passport is a bit of a gamble, but I think this iw what you want to try. I have always gotten both on the same day, though.

Can you get a multiple re-entry permit valid for a year? I was told, it is just valid for one 90 day period and hence totally useless!

Or was I told wrong or does it depend on the visa type, which is non immigrant education in my case.

Off-topic in this thread, but an easy answer: The re-entry permit will be valid as long as your staying permit. No exceptions. If your question is about the staying permit, please start a new topic.

• Like 1

I know of no other country that requires people living there permanently on business or marriage visa (and their extensions of stay) or - get this - have a Permanent Residency Permit to apply for re-entry permits.

A non immigrant visa entry is not living here permanently by law (although it is the only option for many) so not really the same as an immigrant visa entry that might be available in other countries.

Re-entry (any type) is valid for the current permitted to stay - for many that would be one year - but for you it is likely 90 days if you study and have to make a new extension every 90 days.

tombkk and Mario2008: Thanks. I will try to get the rentry queu number a little while before I gauge that it will be my turn to see the immigration officer for the extension. It was through an officer's kind help last time that I was rushed through having the extension stamped in my passport in time to get the re-entry permit. FYI, the new visa rules in Japan allow us to leave and re-enter the country so long as the period of absence is under one year. I still get the multiple re-entry good for three years so that I don't get caught and lose my permanent resident status. As you may assume, I split my year between Tokyo and Bangkok spending the cold months in Thailand where it's warm. I absolutely hate cold weather!

As some others have mentioned, when I make the follow-up visit for my yearly extension of stay, I always get a multiple-reentry permit at the same time. Since I work outside Thailand, I make at least three exits/entries during the course of a year. It might be better economics to get multiple single-reentrys if I do not leave four times, but for the saved trips to immigration (or more mucking around at the airport) I will gladly absorb the extra cost.

As to why we have to buy re-entry permits...what does it matter why? It is Thailand's rules, if we want to stay here we play by the rules.

This new on-line Re-Entry Permit system is a breeze.

Apart from having an initial problem trying to complete the on-line form using Google Chrome, which was resolved by changing to my Internet Explorer browser, everything is as promised.

I had an appointment for 10:30am this morning - Monday.

The Immigration Officer at the front counter handing out the queue numbers did not seem to know about the Fast Track service, but was put right by a senior officer.

There is a clear sign on the wall in the waiting area, in good English and Thai explaining the service.

There is also a very clear sign at the front of cubicle 13 stating "this is the place".

I was about 10 minutes early, but that did not matter.

The officer was very pleasant and we even engaged in some chit chat about her having studied English in my home town.

Once she had verified all the details on-line she took my passport and THB3,800 and asked me to fill out a "satisfaction" form about the service. Before I had completed the questionaire she returned with my passport correctly stamped for a multiple re-entry permit and I was on my way. All in all, it took about 10 minutes and was a very pleasant experience indeed.

Let's hope this new approach continues and similar improvements are undertaken in other sections of the department.

Edited by RegularReader

Re-entry has nothing to do with extensions of stay - they are provided for meeting various critera and cost is 1,900 baht and end with exit of country. The re-entry permits return to current permitted to stay date (extension or not) and are available in single or multi entry versions at 1,000 baht or 3,800 baht each.

Can you guys pay 5k snd simply get an extension O with multiple entry privilagrs ordo all extensions need purchase exit rights sing-multi? Thx.

If you exit Thailand on some variety of extension of stay and NOT be in possession of a re-entry permit before you depart, your extension will be voided upon your return and you'd have to start from scratch.

Lopburi's advice above is correct. But regarding your question, assuming you qualify, you can apply for at Thai Immigration and obtain a one-year extension of stay for 1,900 baht and also a multi-use re-entry permit for 3,800 baht. The two things are separate applications, but can be done on the same day's visit to Thai Immigration.

Yes, the normal and advisable way for those on annual retirement-based extensions of stay is to apply for and receive their companion re-entry permit on the same day and visit that they apply for and receive their next extension.

Do the new extension first. And when that is issued and you have a new permitted to stay day for a year into the future, that date will then be used as the validity period of your then newly issued re-entry permit.

A single use re-entry permit keeps alive your extension of stay for one trip outside Thailand. A multi use re-entry permit keeps your extension of stay alive for an unlimited number of trips outside Thailand during the remaining validity period of your then current extension of stay.

I've never applied for a marriage based extension of stay. But my understanding is that that procedure also normally would be a one day, one-time visit to Immigration... UNLESS it's a first-time application or the applicant hasn't come prepared with all the required documents.

In either case, the advise is correct: you always want to complete the new extension process first and then get the new re-entry permit to accompany it.

• 6 months later...

I note that the link is offline. I tried about two weeks ago and now. Both of the times it was unreachable. Can anyone confirm this?

Is there maybe a new link? Or they stopped the service?

I booked online at 10 april for 16 april, but it is holiday! So I'll pay a visit tomorrow (17 April) to see if it is honored.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...