Bangkok Immigration Launches Re-Entry Permit Queue Online

I cannot believe too much anything immigration says. They sold me a re-entry permit and then told me I was on overstay. Why wouldn't they tell me that I was on overstay and refuse to sell me a re-entry permit.

Of course the 1,000 Bhat was non refundable.

Why do you ask for a re-entry permit anyway if you do not have a valid visa or extension ?!

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being able to prepare your documents before actually going to the immigration bureau is a nice initiative.

And browsing through the possible answers of some fill-in boxes holds real surprises. F.i. did you know there is a Visa type "ILLEGAL?

You can also edit and print this form at home:

tm8.doc

I take this is for Bangkok issued "extention of stay" only. Any news when this service will be available for the provinces

Yes, Bangkok only.

Immigration seems to be experimenting with online applications, like in CM and now this in BKK. Who nows about the provinces in the future.

Hi, I want to stay for 90 days--can I apply on line from UK.?

A re-entry permit is about leaving Thailand and not losing your visa or extension.

Two days in advance?

What about the people who have an emergency and get an urgent flight somewhere? Are the covered.

Every time I extend my retirement visa, I get a multiple re-entry permit. Saves my pages and lets me make last minute trips.

they can come to pattaya with same day (actually about 15minute) processing...

But the Extension of Stay is a two day process. The last time I extented my retirement visa in BKK it was renewed the same day I applied.

Last time at Pattaya-Jomtien Immigration I got my extension immediately too; it didn’t take more than 15 minutes in total.

So i am not sure i understand. You fill this online then go to immigration? I have never been to chiang wattana but in pattaya it is same day and very quick.....i thought they migh have a counter at the airport then i would be impressed....

Yes they should have this service at the Airport where it's easier to get to via Skytrain etc, not Wattana on Sathorn, somewhere no one knows how to get to, not even taxi drivers, and they all refuse to when they do know where it is..

Every farang I've met know how to get to CW. I always go my taxi and have never had a problem. Everyone knows where it is - except you. I suggest you print out a map and learn a little Thai. It's really easy to get to CW and even easier to get to Suan Phlu - you can walk there from Sala Daeng BTS in 15 mins.

That's a bit harsh. CW is a dam_n pain to get to especially if you live on the west side of the Bangkok. Suan Phlu is ok, but they ONLY do re-entry permits (nothing else, I made that mistake of going there). CW is just so far away from anything and not 'easy' to get to, nor come back from going into traffic.

Please remember not everyone lives on one particular side of Bangkok. There is the west too and not everyone has had a NEED to go to CW yet and hence why they wouldn't know (I didn't).

So i am not sure i understand. You fill this online then go to immigration? I have never been to chiang wattana but in pattaya it is same day and very quick.....i thought they migh have a counter at the airport then i would be impressed....

They used to have such a counter at the airport, but for some reason, they closed it down!

The counter was there today - photograph taken at point. 1,000 for the Permit and 200 for the service. Just before going through immigration.

I can see where this could be a good step toward utilizing technology. My only concern is I always apply for a multiple re-entry permit after I get my 1-year extension based on retirement. Because I don't know how long the extension will be, how can I make an appointment online two days in advance? What if I don't make the reservation and then I am behind all those who made the appointment online?

I do hope they bring some automation to the 90-day report; however, I am guilty of not using the mail-in option.

I think you mean "because I don't know how long

it will take to get the extension of stay....

and I agree on that basis....

Love it - they've recognised Scotland in the list....and not the Welsh.

"Maxicans" too are there...whoever they are.

You'd think that whoever the sourced this botch job of an online form to (probably a relo of someone big) that they'd just use the bog standard drop down list of countries.

Is there any way to avoid queuing twice when you get your extension of stay and re-entry permit on the same day? I just squeaked by the last time when I had to get both done on the day before my flight out of Thailand. Getting a number for both queues didn't work because by the time I got to the immigration officer to get my extension, the re-entry queu number was long past.

Been here 23 years seen all. its all got better and never worse. wise up and do what your told.

Retirement and re entry every year, 10 minutes --wise up............ Im nothing special,---- just do what your told.

If Uk immigration was like this we would not be in the crap we are.

• Like 1

Absolutely. If there is counter at the airport, that is perfectly convenient. Otherwise going to the immigration office anywhere in Bangkok whether it is for 5 min or 50 min it does not make much difference.

whistling.gif Everybody complains about Chaeng Watanna.

I think it's great.

First of all I don't live in the "Farang slum area" of lower Sukhumvit.

From my house to CW it's usually no more than 30 minutes by taxi...door to door.

Now I've applied for a retirement extension there and done four 90 day reports there. The longest It's taken for a 90 day report was 20 minutes.

You've got to be there waiting in the queue wnen it OPENS at 8:30 to get a low queue number.

The "best" I've ever done was get number 7, when I walked into the 90 day reporting section they were just calling number 5.

On the other hand, if you show up at 10:30 on a Monday morning (as I once did) you'd better expect to wait for 2 or 3 hours. And, yes, they are closed for lunch from 12:00 to 13:00 hours.

If you go there Thursday and Friday are usually the least busy days.

Mondays are busy because they are clised Saturday and Sunday....and they get weekend crowd hangover from Sat. and Sun.

If you need copies...passport or whatever...there is a copy place down on the first floor....to the rear. Cost is one Baht per copy.

There was...I think still is...a photo booth downstairs also. Can't remember the exact cost....but maybe 40 bant for 6 passport size photos. Less than 5 minutes.

The bank branch offices are downstairs on the first floor.

At least with Bangkok Bank....you can get a bank balance statement letter right there. There's a sign in English telling to go to a certain booth. Just tell the girl you need a bank statement for immigration and hand her your passbook and your passport. She fills in the form letter and prints it. 15 minutes maybe, usually not more.

You can also make a token deposit or witdrawal (100 baht is all that's needed) with your passbook. That deposit/withdrawal entry gets printed into your passbook....sometimes immigration may check the date and time of that entry in your passbook. If it's the same day you're appying for an retirement exension based on funds in the bank....they love to see that current last entry for the same day's date.

For me, from where I live Chaeng Wattana is far more convienent than anywhere else.

The last time I has to go anywhere near Soi San Plu was to an airline office on Silom road. That took me 3 hours in Bangkok traffic to just to get to it.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

Re-entry permits never usually had a long wait anyway as far as I am concerned.

Now, if they automated the other things such as 90 day reporting, that would be great!

You can do it by post, which is better than booking online and going there.

Yes, you can do it by post, but wouldn't it be great, as Tatsugin suggests, the whole 90 day procedure could be done online.

No more traipsing off to the Post Office, hoping the report has reached the office and hoping it's returned ok.

I would have thought a win win situation, you know your report is done and the Immigration Bureau cut down on staff tied up to do this.

This new initiative is certainly a move in the right direction, lets hope they build on it.

For me, from where I live Chaeng Wattana is far more convienent than anywhere else.

The last time I has to go anywhere near Soi San Plu was to an airline office on Silom road. That took me 3 hours in Bangkok traffic to just to get to it.

Congratulations on your choice of a residence.

But for most people, at least for now, CW is NOT convenient because there are no handy mass transit options to get there.

At least for Suan Plu, it's a walkable distance from both the Saladaeng Station on the BTS Silom Line.

Hm. When I get my yearly extension of stay, I apply for a multiple re-entry permit right away. I don't know why I would want to be caught by surprise, suddenly knowing on a Friday evening that I have to leave on Saturday, and not having a re-entry permit in my passport... Who plans like this?

That said, I doubt the whole philosophy of the re-entry permit. Somebody asked earlier which countries don't apply it: the answer is, all countries I know. For example, I lived in Taiwan. I had a work permit and an Alien Residence Certificate (not these books they have in Thailand, i.e. Work Permit and PR book, but just a card that fit into my wallet). This meant that I could leave and re-enter the country at any time. I have Asian friends who live in the EU, and once they have their Work Permit or Residency, they can leave and enter as they please.

The whole Thai idea of the re-entry permit, after we have already been granted non-immigrant status due to Work Permit or Retirement Visa, or even Permanent Residence, does not really make any sense at all.

• Like 1

Yes they should have this service at the Airport where it's easier to get to via Skytrain etc, not Wattana on Sathorn, somewhere no one knows how to get to, not even taxi drivers, and they all refuse to when they do know where it is..

Every farang I've met know how to get to CW. I always go my taxi and have never had a problem. Everyone knows where it is - except you. I suggest you print out a map and learn a little Thai. It's really easy to get to CW and even easier to get to Suan Phlu - you can walk there from Sala Daeng BTS in 15 mins.

That's a bit harsh. CW is a dam_n pain to get to especially if you live on the west side of the Bangkok. Suan Phlu is ok, but they ONLY do re-entry permits (nothing else, I made that mistake of going there). CW is just so far away from anything and not 'easy' to get to, nor come back from going into traffic.

Please remember not everyone lives on one particular side of Bangkok. There is the west too and not everyone has had a NEED to go to CW yet and hence why they wouldn't know (I didn't).

You haven't been to Suan Plu before CW opened. CW is a huge improvement. In many respects.

The mere requirement of obtaining such "permits" is a shame beyond shame.

Over the past 10 years or so, I have asked more than a dozen immi officers to give me a single reason, other than "it's in the law" - for the existence of this ridiculous requirement, and - not to my surprise - no one could. Red tape sticks better - and worse - than any glue.

I can't believe the ignorance of many people complaining about re-entry permits, to pointoffew you would hardly expect a law enforcer (ie. Immigration Officers) to know the reasons that the GOVERNMENT passes all laws especially the murky grey area that is immigration, separation of state my friend, ask any Immigration officer from any country if they know why the government passed some law that at a glance could have been for a myriad of reasons. Criminal Law is much more obvious and police and in fact the public at large would know why most criminal laws are passed.

Re-Entry Permits are used by most countries where individuals have a semi-resident visa and is usually that visa is usually a precursor to qualifying for some kind of permanent residency. Usually the reason behind re-entry permits (not visas!) is to obtain permission (wow!!! that's what permit means right? biggrin.png) to break the conditions of a single use long stay visa, the conditions being one must remain in the country for a set period of time or lose the visa if they leave.

It's like in Australia if you are granted a resident visa (not a permanent) you are supposed to remain in the country on the single visa for 3 years (I think!!! memory is a bit hazy now ;D) to obtain permanent residency status. If you wish to leave the country at any time in that 3 year period and still retain that single visa status in order to remain eligible for permanent residence status you need a re-entry permit for each time you leave the country so as not to violate the terms of the visa. This in part is an effort on the immigration departments side to weed out the home sick, wishy washy, not serious about relocating and thus reducing the workload down the line for the permanent residence processing etc..

Got my reentry permit earlier today having booked an appointment online earlier in the week. I am very pleased with how smoothly things went. OK, not quite the 5 minute turnaround promised, closer to 10, but I'm not complaining.

The desk handling the on-line applications is the same one used to pick up approved applications, so if someone's picking up an application at your appointed time, you may have to wait a few moments. Also, it looks like the appointment system will allow multiple applications to book the same appointment time. (I'm basing that upon the appointment reference number which is basically the date, time and another digit.) I suspect that that means that things might take a bit longer when the system becomes more popular. Still, a promising start.

maybe you don't know, they have at Suwanabumi airport, departure level next to Immigration counters.

Take care

Hm. When I get my yearly extension of stay, I apply for a multiple re-entry permit right away. I don't know why I would want to be caught by surprise, suddenly knowing on a Friday evening that I have to leave on Saturday, and not having a re-entry permit in my passport... Who plans like this?

That said, I doubt the whole philosophy of the re-entry permit. Somebody asked earlier which countries don't apply it: the answer is, all countries I know. For example, I lived in Taiwan. I had a work permit and an Alien Residence Certificate (not these books they have in Thailand, i.e. Work Permit and PR book, but just a card that fit into my wallet). This meant that I could leave and re-enter the country at any time. I have Asian friends who live in the EU, and once they have their Work Permit or Residency, they can leave and enter as they please.

The whole Thai idea of the re-entry permit, after we have already been granted non-immigrant status due to Work Permit or Retirement Visa, or even Permanent Residence, does not really make any sense at all.

Makes perfect sense. They can get much more money from all the foreign residents and visitors.

Makes perfect sense. They can get much more money from all the foreign residents and visitors.

It does because they make money on it.

The mere requirement of obtaining such "permits" is a shame beyond shame.

Over the past 10 years or so, I have asked more than a dozen immi officers to give me a single reason, other than "it's in the law" - for the existence of this ridiculous requirement, and - not to my surprise - no one could. Red tape sticks better - and worse - than any glue.

What do you imagine its like in your country?

From tombkk: "Hm. When I get my yearly extension of stay, I apply for a multiple re-entry permit right away. I don't know why I would want to be caught by surprise, suddenly knowing on a Friday evening that I have to leave on Saturday, and not having a re-entry permit in my passport... Who plans like this?"

The reason was that I was requesting an early renewal of my retirement extension and CW Immigration would only grant it on the day before I was to fly out. I went there several days earleir with my airplane ticket and a letter of explanation but I was told to come back on Friday before I flew out on Saturday. The process was complicated because the immigration office who talked to me on Tuesday told me to come directly to her and that I wouldn't need to queu again but she was out for training on that Friday so I did have to queu again and just barely got my re-entry before immigration closing time. I think that it had something to do with my extension only reaching the thirtieth day after its granting on that Friday before I flew out. I'll need to do the same this year since I'll need to leave on March 16th while my extension expires on May 12th. I hope that they'll make another exception for me but I don't see any alternative to waiting to pick up my re-entry queu number until after I've received the extension of stay so I anticipate being at CW for several hours. If anyone knows a quicker way to get the extension and re-entry, please let me know. Thanks.

From tombkk: "Hm. When I get my yearly extension of stay, I apply for a multiple re-entry permit right away. I don't know why I would want to be caught by surprise, suddenly knowing on a Friday evening that I have to leave on Saturday, and not having a re-entry permit in my passport... Who plans like this?"

The reason was that I was requesting an early renewal of my retirement extension and CW Immigration would only grant it on the day before I was to fly out. I went there several days earleir with my airplane ticket and a letter of explanation but I was told to come back on Friday before I flew out on Saturday. The process was complicated because the immigration office who talked to me on Tuesday told me to come directly to her and that I wouldn't need to queu again but she was out for training on that Friday so I did have to queu again and just barely got my re-entry before immigration closing time. I think that it had something to do with my extension only reaching the thirtieth day after its granting on that Friday before I flew out. I'll need to do the same this year since I'll need to leave on March 16th while my extension expires on May 12th. I hope that they'll make another exception for me but I don't see any alternative to waiting to pick up my re-entry queu number until after I've received the extension of stay so I anticipate being at CW for several hours. If anyone knows a quicker way to get the extension and re-entry, please let me know. Thanks.

I'm not following. Why do you apply for your re-entry the day before you leave, rather than the day you receive your extension of stay?

And if your extension expires on May 12th, you'll have to renew it before that date, so you'll be fine travelling on May 16th.

I totally don't get your point.