Bangkok Immigration Launches Re-Entry Permit Queue Online

So i am not sure i understand. You fill this online then go to immigration? I have never been to chiang wattana but in pattaya it is same day and very quick.....i thought they migh have a counter at the airport then i would be impressed....

Yes they should have this service at the Airport where it's easier to get to via Skytrain etc, not Wattana on Sathorn, somewhere no one knows how to get to, not even taxi drivers, and they all refuse to when they do know where it is..

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not the right topic for my question, please move this if so.

Here in Nakhon si Thammarat, we have no RE-ENTRY for NON-IMM O what I know, but this IMMIGRATION changes the rules as often as a normal person changes his shirt.

So I've never heard of this RE-ENTRY. Please someone, if you have a link to this rule (if there is any oficiell online)

I'm not sure how you have never heard of a Re-Entry Permit. If you leave Thailand your visa is cancelled, and you have the joy of starting the entire process over again. In order to keep your visa, you need to obtain a Re-Entry Permit. A Single Entry Re-Entry Permit allows you to leave Thailand once and return on your current extension of stay. A Multiple Entry Re-Entry Permit allows you to leave Thailand whenever you want and return on the same extension of stay.

Interesting, I saw a posted sign on a wall column in BKK Immigration when I went for my annual extension in late August. But when I came home and checked the BKK Immigration website, there was no link presence for any kind of online queue for re-entry permits at Chaeng Wattana. I see they've now added a graphic box link for that on the left column of their web page.

Frankly, I think the email the day before system in place at Suan Plu is probably more convenient, both in terms of being next day service and in terms of its location for a lot of folks. But at least it's a step in the right direction for CW...

I recall asking here on TV, when I did my post on my extension process last month, WHY BKK couldn't have an online appointments system for extensions and such similar to what Chiang Mai Immigration has already done.... Maybe they're SLOWLY moving in that direction now.

So i am not sure i understand. You fill this online then go to immigration? I have never been to chiang wattana but in pattaya it is same day and very quick.....i thought they migh have a counter at the airport then i would be impressed....

They used to have such a counter at the airport, but for some reason, they closed it down!

NOTE!!

It's opened again, I used it last month, but did get caught out once years ago when they closed it without publicising.

Pre-booked times sounds good but for all the time it takes to get to Cheng Wattana in North Bangkok you may as well do it at the airport while waiting to board your flight, there is quite a long wait (20-30 minutes) but then they let you jump to the front of the queue for immigration. It's a small desk to the left of the queue area on the upstairs immigration, if you ask where it is you'll get a run around since no one seems to know.

EXCEPT Airport is 24 hours, reentry permits 6 am to late (10 or 12). If you are flying out late or early, don't count on it -

Also, the Immigration desk at Suvarnabhumi for re-entry permits is only for those who have outbound international flights that same day or perhaps early the next morning (the early morning hours after midnight).

Even if it might be convenient for a non international flyer to go there, they won't issue a non-flyer a re-entry permit there....

the re-entry is a big ripp-off... you already prooved and paid 1900 baht for what ???

the right to leave the country and come back in again ??? absurd...; but hey, this is crazy thailand and its rules, let us know we are only guests, even we bring in so much more than some tourists ...

Frankly, I think the email the day before system in place at Suan Plu is probably more convenient, both in terms of being next day service and in terms of its location for a lot of folks. But at least it's a step in the right direction for CW...

Can you tell me more about this system? I am up for an extension on Friday. I'm going to CW with the guy who handles all of that for us at work. I am scheduled to go to America on October 8, so I want to know my options. He has already expressed that it would be easier for him if I dealt with the re-entry permit another time because he has to go deal with my work permit. I was thinking about using this service to make things faster for him, but if I can just go to Suan Plu, it would be easiest. I work about 5 minutes from there!

the re-entry is a big ripp-off... you already prooved and paid 1900 baht for what ???

the right to leave the country and come back in again ??? absurd...; but hey, this is crazy thailand and its rules, let us know we are only guests, even we bring in so much more than some tourists ...

Korea was the same. But, you could do it all online and print it out. It was quite easy.

I'm glad the Immigration folks are saying the new online process for re-entry permits will only take about 5 minutes in their office.

During my last trip last month, the whole re-entry permit process alone took more than a half hour...first waiting in one queue to submit my application and then waiting in a second queue to pick up my stamped passport.

Of course, online system or not, driving out to CW from central BKK can take up to an hour each way, depending on when you're starting from. It's a big circle jerk all the way around.

The only way that makes any sense to me is to simply always get a re-entry permit each year at the same time you have to apply for your extension of stay, either because you know you'll be traveling outside Thailand during the year or just to have the stamp as a precaution in case you have a sudden need to travel outside the country.

Can you tell me more about this system? I am up for an extension on Friday. I'm going to CW with the guy who handles all of that for us at work. I am scheduled to go to America on October 8, so I want to know my options. He has already expressed that it would be easier for him if I dealt with the re-entry permit another time because he has to go deal with my work permit. I was thinking about using this service to make things faster for him, but if I can just go to Suan Plu, it would be easiest. I work about 5 minutes from there!

See the BKK Immigration website here...for info on getting a re-entry permit at Suan Plu...

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

Saturday Open 8.30 - 12.00 a.m

at Immigration Division1 (Soi SuanPlu)

Service only Re-entry permit

You used to be able to email them your application the day before, and then show up the next day for expedited processing. But I'm no longer seeing that approach listed on their website... Just the info about Suan Plu being open for processing re-entry permits on Sat. mornings.

Do you know any country where you can come and go as you please on just the original 30/60/90 day entry Visa?

They do have a counter at the airport. You can get a re-entry permit there. I saw it last time I left the country, and it has already been mentioned on this forum.

Edited by davejones

I see that information, but I also see the following:

Service for Re-entry permit online by Stop & Stamp

Contact at Immigration Division1 (Soi SuaPlu , Satorn Rd.)

Counter 6-7 Room 102 , 1st Floor , Building 1

Tel. : 0-2287-1983

Office hour: Mon-Fri 8:30 - 12.00 and 13.00 - 16:30

Saturday 8:30 - 12.00

Closed on OFFICIAL HOLIDAYS

At this page: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location3.html

Does it have to be on Saturday only?

The only way that makes any sense to me is to simply always get a re-entry permit each year at the same time you have to apply for your extension of stay, either because you know you'll be traveling outside Thailand during the year or just to have the stamp as a precaution in case you have a sudden need to travel outside the country.

Exactly . . . just done it myself . . . 1 year Extension + Multiple Re-Entry Permit all done at the same time. I may never use it, but it sure saves on hassles knowing you can just walk out and back in again without any problems.

Smileplur, good question. The main Immigration web page now seems to only reference Saturdays re Suan Plu and re-entry permits. While the detail page for Suan Plu you cited still mentions the weekdays....

Hard to know if they intentionally changed the home page, and forgot the Suan Plu page. Or the reverse.... Typical mess of BKK Immigration's webpage info.

I haven't been following TV member posts on re-entry permits at Suan Plu lately, so not sure what experiences our fellows have been posting on there.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Two days in advance?

What about the people who have an emergency and get an urgent flight somewhere? Are the covered.

Every time I extend my retirement visa, I get a multiple re-entry permit. Saves my pages and lets me make last minute trips.

they can come to pattaya with same day (actually about 15minute) processing...

But the Extension of Stay is a two day process. The last time I extented my retirement visa in BKK it was renewed the same day I applied.

I see that information, but I also see the following:

Service for Re-entry permit online by Stop & Stamp

Contact at Immigration Division1 (Soi SuaPlu , Satorn Rd.)

Counter 6-7 Room 102 , 1st Floor , Building 1

Tel. : 0-2287-1983

Office hour: Mon-Fri 8:30 - 12.00 and 13.00 - 16:30

Saturday 8:30 - 12.00

Closed on OFFICIAL HOLIDAYS

At this page: http://bangkok.immig.../location3.html

Does it have to be on Saturday only?

It is only Saturdays for re-entry permit. At other times I think it's just for people from Burma, Laos, etc.

Exactly . . . just done it myself . . . 1 year Extension + Multiple Re-Entry Permit all done at the same time. I may never use it, but it sure saves on hassles knowing you can just walk out and back in again without any problems.

I usually buy a single use permit every year for 1,000 baht, even if I know I have one international trip planned during the year... Because at 3,900 baht for a multiple/unlimited use permit for the year, you'd have to make four exits of the country during the valid period of your extension before the economics would make sense (especially if you could avoid going to CW entirely and use Suan Plu instead for any additionally needed re-entry stamps, at least on Saturdays.)

Yes they should have this service at the Airport where it's easier to get to via Skytrain etc, not Wattana on Sathorn, somewhere no one knows how to get to, not even taxi drivers, and they all refuse to when they do know where it is..

Every farang I've met know how to get to CW. I always go my taxi and have never had a problem. Everyone knows where it is - except you. I suggest you print out a map and learn a little Thai. It's really easy to get to CW and even easier to get to Suan Phlu - you can walk there from Sala Daeng BTS in 15 mins.

I suppose I will just give them a call tomorrow to inquire. If they say no, I will try out the new system!

It certainly appears that at least, at a minimum, Suan Plu is still handling walk-in re-entry permit apps on Saturday mornings....

Hope they haven't changed that... with the arrival of the CW queue system...

Please do post back here on whatever you hear from Suan Plu on their current status...

Two days in advance?

What about the people who have an emergency and get an urgent flight somewhere? Are the covered.

Every time I extend my retirement visa, I get a multiple re-entry permit. Saves my pages and lets me make last minute trips.

Just to compliment Grahams useful advice if you don,t usually leave the country.

For anyone not expecting to do multiple exits you can do one re entry to cover emergencies.

I have always done this and utilise it approx. 2 months prior to my renewal visa to have break prior to applying for my 1 year extension.

I think it is worth the 1K fee, allows you to keep your visa, no worries or stress and very convenient at the airport / exit point.

Should you go beyond the last qualifying day to renew your visa, just visit your nearest consul ( I was advised at Birmngham U.K. )to get a new 90 day "O" if it,s convenient or come in on a 30 day tourist visa and hopefully start the proceedure again at your nearest local Im. office.

As the 400K / 800K fees are static at present no worries about them upping the anti for new applicants.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

AMEN...!!!

This permit is only valid for a year, so if one stays in country, it is a waste of time and money to get one. Thailand Immigration needs to wake up to the fact that more money comes in from resident foreigners.

If we are to believe the numbers, 6 million active long term permits are on file. Assuming half are valid (3M), and assuming a 'resident spends half of a tourist, then current residents are the equivalent of 78 Million tourists.

Yet only 14 Million tourists were reported. So why all the attention to tourist dollars and complete lack of attention to foreign resident's needs..??

Edited by dighambara

Two days in advance?

How big is the stamp?

I dont bother with any border runs except Singapore as its uses the least space in my passport when I fly in/out

Without wishing to get into the politics and due respect to facts and figures.

For the individual it only costs 1K and IMHO is well worth forking out as a stand by just in case.

So you may not need it but is the fee really wasted re peace of mind and convenience, personally I would say no.

marshbags

Pattaya-Jomtien Immigration is very fast for 90 days reporting (if you go in the afternoon), but for a re-entry permit I had to queue up twice, which took me over three hours.