Pick-Pocket Experience

Canuck50

On the topic of pickpockets - I came across this article today about somebody's new invention for a weird travel pillow....

http://www.watoday.c...0925-26ied.html

Supposedly allows you to have a nice little sleep at the airport.

It is OUTRAGEOUSLY hilarious - I bet airport thieves worldwide are praying it goes into production.....

art-Ostrich-Pillow-2-620x349.jpg

That suitcase next to him/her is going to be stolen in 5...4...3...2...

Not exactly a chic magnet.

Looks more like Cecil the Turtle

post-123755-0-35700500-1348564529.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

= Wallet in front pocket. If it's a foldable wallet (like most are) put a comb into the folding space with teeth of the comb UP and both ends sticking out at lest 2 cm of the wallet. Even you as the owner of the wallet and your pants will have a hard time getting the wallet out without some massive fumbling and jerking.

- Passport and other important documents belong in the hotel-safe in the first place.

Well understood:There are ways to carry valuables on you that can not possibly be pickpocketed under any circumstances, even passports. Nevermind, for now it will have to do.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Had my laptop stolen whilst going for a pee when arriving in BKK a couple of years back.

Went to the men's room, just for a quick pee. Small backbag on my back, medium sized sportsbag in my left hand, Laptop case in my right hand.

I'm standing there, bags left and right of me, just starting what I was desperat to do when this guy comes out of a cubbicle, walks past me, grabs my Laptop case and gone. I could not say if farang, thai, black or white. Was all just a few seconds. Could not run after him either as I had other "things" in hand.

Police was very friendly and helpfull gave me a case number, I claimed of the insurance.

Although I had "Kaspersky Mobile with Tracking" installed on my laptop, (free for Barclays Plc customers) I never recovered

Edited by JoeLing

I got my iphone 4 stolen in a club in China in a similar set up. Small corridor between tables, suddenly got very crowded, and I felt it slipping out of my pocket. I never really realized up to then that pickpocketing is a team sport. They were 4 or 5 involved at least. The one who took the phone was a young girl.

Since then I instinctively put my hands on wallet pocket and phone pocket whenever it gets crowded.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket, and do not place it vertically down your pants, but horizontally. This essentially locks it into place and no pickpocket will attempt to lift it.

Valuable insight. Thanks.

The most vulnerable are pockets on the legs (with or without fasteners) and front pockets on baggy shorts.

Valuables are only going to be (relatively) safe in your pockets if the garment fits closely enough that they are tight against your body, so that you will instantly feel if there is an attempt to dislodge them.

Those baggy shorts are very insecure.

the problem with suggestion #1 is that things are far more at risk if you leave them in a hotel room.

at least if they are on you there is a chance of protecting them. i have never had anything taken from my front pockets anywhere, and this is were the wallet and phone are. a wallet and iphone case with a chain that loops onto a belt loop would make pickpocketing nearly impossible. these can be purchased at any roadside stall.

It is a standard move usually called a "crowd-in", they work as a team, seen it happen with a bicycle bing used to bump into someone and then lots of people rush in.

my friends in Germany tell me a similar theft on trains in recent years where someones bag is on the overhead rack, several people join drop their bags on same overheard, off at the next stop and behold your bag has mysteriously dissapeared with them.

dont forget to back up your phone and PC peolpe on a regualr basis.

• Like 1

getting pick pocketed is a horrible experience. once is enough

now i carry these ocean pack all the time.

Dry+Bag+(Yellow).jpg

Yes, these are great for pickpockets -- one cut of the strap and a swift tug and all is done. All your stuff is gathered together so he doesn't have to fuss with figuring out which pocket the valuables are in, winner takes all.

The bright color helps too, can be spotted 100 meters away so the pillion rider has enough time to get his blade ready.

Seriously, though, when I first traveled the Asian road in the 1970s the rule of the road was to have a pouch with your documents, money etc and to wear it under your clothing and never part with it. Even the most spaced-out hash-heads and enlightenment groupies did this. I started traveling again 10+ years ago and whenever I mentioned this I'd get a condescending laugh and "for me no problem" so I gave up on the topic.

One way to avoid having your wallet stolen is to not have a wallet. Get an under-the-clothes money belt or neck pouch, keep everything in it, and enough cash to navigate in your pocket. Try not to access the clandestine pouch in front of an audience.

On the topic of pickpockets - I came across this article today about somebody's new invention for a weird travel pillow....

http://www.watoday.c...0925-26ied.html

Supposedly allows you to have a nice little sleep at the airport.

It is OUTRAGEOUSLY hilarious - I bet airport thieves worldwide are praying it goes into production.....

art-Ostrich-Pillow-2-620x349.jpg

That suitcase next to him/her is going to be stolen in 5...4...3...2...

Can also be used as a Halloween costume, go as a strange creature from Mos Eisley.

This is not the victim you are looking for.

Sorry to hear about your experience Vic.

As a help to anyone else who is worried about this; I have used one of these for a couple of years now, travelling all over the world.

http://pacsafe.com/v...heft-fanny-pack

I think they are brilliant (as long as you remember to close and clip the zip!!!!!!!!)

Thanks Boon Toong, I have a cheap fanny now that I don't trust because there are no locks and the release clip is on the opposite side which make it vulnerable. But that one looks amazing, hidden release, cut-resistant materials, zip clip. I will try and find one for sure

They were selling them in Central (Silom) about a year back but I can't remember which shop they sell them in.

You are right about them being a bit 'overt' RSquared, but I think a lot of professional pickpockets will know about these and, therefore, go for a softer target.

Wear one and keep your valuables in your pockets..........:)

They won't think that one through!

Vic, sorry to hear about your experience. The hints you gave are pretty much those that I follow anyway, but you can't be reminded too often.

I usually wear baggy shorts with side pockets and flaps, as soon as I buy a new pair I bring them straight to a road side seamstress and have her put internal zips in one side and one back pocket about two inches down from the top, only costs a few bhat, it's not fool proof but it's got to cause them enough of a hindrance that the may move on.

I find the easiest thing to do is a soon as you feel close with others is just put your hands in your pockets, nothng is coming out then.

I would never carry anything in a back pocket so that dosnt even figure, but the two front pockets, just put your hands in them, job done. Worked well for me for 30 years.

I have seen those bags and similar devices just sliced across the bottom with a scalpal or stanley blade.

I cant imagine the frustration and annoyance at being on the receiving end of that sort of crime,

put a pet scorpion in the back pocket...just be careful when you sit down.

Heard of similar; taping razor blades on folded notes. Not that I would ever endorse that kind of behaviour...

= Wallet in front pocket. If it's a foldable wallet (like most are) put a comb into the folding space with teeth of the comb UP and both ends sticking out at lest 2 cm of the wallet. Even you as the owner of the wallet and your pants will have a hard time getting the wallet out without some massive fumbling and jerking.

- Passport and other important documents belong in the hotel-safe in the first place.

Well understood:There are ways to carry valuables on you that can not possibly be pickpocketed under any circumstances, even passports. Nevermind, for now it will have to do.

Cheers.

Cheers.

I have never seen the need to carry a wallet when on a night out. I realise what happened to Vic happened during the day, but even then, is it neccessary to carry one? Habitual. Easy enough to carry your cash and credit card in your pocket.

To me wallets are like keyrings; great devices for keeping things neat, but also great for losing everything at once.

I have specific pockets for passport & wallet on just about everything, a bit like "Birmingham Baggies" from the 70's. On the few occasions that i've felt the hands of opportunists getting too close I grab & hold my pockets tightly until the threat subsides.

In Bkk I sometimes carry an old wallet containing junk (to buy time if mugged) but i've never needed it.

Edited by evadgib

getting pick pocketed is a horrible experience. once is enough

now i carry these ocean pack all the time.

Dry+Bag+(Yellow).jpg

Yes, these are great for pickpockets -- one cut of the strap and a swift tug and all is done. All your stuff is gathered together so he doesn't have to fuss with figuring out which pocket the valuables are in, winner takes all.

The bright color helps too, can be spotted 100 meters away so the pillion rider has enough time to get his blade ready.

Seriously, though, when I first traveled the Asian road in the 1970s the rule of the road was to have a pouch with your documents, money etc and to wear it under your clothing and never part with it. Even the most spaced-out hash-heads and enlightenment groupies did this. I started traveling again 10+ years ago and whenever I mentioned this I'd get a condescending laugh and "for me no problem" so I gave up on the topic.

One way to avoid having your wallet stolen is to not have a wallet. Get an under-the-clothes money belt or neck pouch, keep everything in it, and enough cash to navigate in your pocket. Try not to access the clandestine pouch in front of an audience.

yes they are vulnerable to that but that act isn't pick pocketing though

I usually wear baggy shorts with side pockets and flaps, as soon as I buy a new pair I bring them straight to a road side seamstress and have her put internal zips in one side and one back pocket about two inches down from the top, only costs a few bhat, it's not fool proof but it's got to cause them enough of a hindrance that the may move on.

Another way to do it is to get the seamstress to make a drop pocket on the inside of the waistband of your shorts/trousers. A pickpocket would have to navigate round your jewels before they would get to that.

• Like 1

In London they used to use a syringe full of something mucky and spray it on you as they passed. Then other members of the team would helpfully point out that a bird has taken a dump on you, and while assisting you in cleaning it off, artfully empty your pockets.

A mate of mine was in a London street cafe on his laptop. He stopped to sip his coffee and this bloke on a bike went past, grabbed it and was out of sight before he'd put his cup down.

There are some brazen buggers around these days.

I was walking behind a guy late at night on sukhumvit outside landmark hotel. A ladyboy approached him and put her arms round him while he tried to fend her off. She flipped his wallet out of his back pocket onto the pavement and continued to grope him. Another ladyboy appeared from beside a bank kiosk to pick up the wallet. I shouted to the guy and he turned and I pointed at the wallet. I walked up to him and he verbally ripped into the ladyboys. I think he was eastern european and wasn't scared of the two girls/blokes.

keep your wits about you out there.

Another way to do it is to get the seamstress to make a drop pocket on the inside of the waistband of your shorts/trousers. A pickpocket would have to navigate round your jewels before they would get to that.

you'd get some funny looks from shop keepers as you fumble around your jewels trying get some money out

anyone ever lost a watch???

Edited by eeeya

That would help all of the girls believe you were happy to see them, too.

A male friend of mine and I were standing at the Coliseum in Rome just gawking when some children came up and tried to sell flowers to my friend. They were with an older woman, at least in her 60's. I was standing off a ways and it probably didn't look like we were together.

I saw that woman lift my friend's wallet, just like that. I was pretty close and ran over, backhanded her and knocked her to the pavement before she could give the wallet to a child who would have run away with it. I reached down and pulled that wallet out of her hand and my friend and I took off, not wanting police after I had hit that woman.

Nothing ever came of it, but my buddy would have lost a lot of money and cards, etc. It pays to be careful.

Edited by NeverSure

That's a good idea to have a pocket sewn into the inside

I guess you don't go to many bars in Thailand as that is the first place the staff visits.

I guess you don't go to many bars in Thailand as that is the first place the staff visits.

Cr@p, always a flaw, always a flaw..........tongue.png

Still, you could have fun with whatever you want to hide there.....smile.png

the problem with suggestion #1 is that things are far more at risk if you leave them in a hotel room.

Not entirely in agreement. If you are going out you can change the sign to Do Not Disturb. Works a treat.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App

...until you need your room cleaned up, at least.

Which you do when you are around. This is about security. Also, try not to stay in places where they want you to leave your key at reception (what is that all about?).