How Can I Boost The Reception On My Car Radio?

Mobi

The radio in my Mitsubishi Triton has annoyingly low reception capabilities.

There are 4 English stations in the Pattaya area, but as I drive around, I have to continuously switch from one station to another as the one I am tuned in to starts to fade.

Yet the radio in my girlfriend’s little Nissan March receives all stations perfectly within a 20 kilometre radio of central Pattaya, as did the radio in my old car.

I have tried pulling the roof aerial right out but it makes no difference.

Short of changing out the radio, is there any gadget I can buy which will boost reception?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You could try a longer antenna, but you'll probably just find it's the (poor) sensitivity of the tuner being used.. Mitsu generally use either Sony or Alpine head units, neither of which can claim to have great tuner sections.

I love hi-tech solutions!! smile.png

TuneIn Radio app (for Android also) is great but you have to have unlimited (maybe not?) data plan.

Edit: I guess it's not a solution unless the Mitsu head unit has bluetooth already...

Sony and Alpine have so-so tuners?

Edited by bobbin

TuneIn Radio app (for Android also) is great but you have to have unlimited (maybe not?) data plan.

Edit: I guess it's not a solution unless the Mitsu head unit has bluetooth already...

I have unlimited data plan and it would be a good solution if my radio had bluetooth - but it doesn't.

Overall I am very satisfied with my Triton, but I was somewhat miffed when I found that my radio (Sony) didn't even have an auxiliary input jack, or MP3 input jack as contained in the specs.

If it did have an input jack I could use the 'tuner' on my tablet, which works pretty well, I could even listen to UK radio progs in my car.

Maybe I will just use a mini speaker with my tablet and give up on the car radio, except when playing MP3's.(on discs).

The other crazy thing is there is no input jack yet the system plays DVD's on the front screen, even when driving, which is against the law in most countries, (not sure about Thailand), and was blocked on my BMW.

Ah Well....

I have unlimited data plan and it would be a good solution if my radio had bluetooth - but it doesn't.

Overall I am very satisfied with my Triton, but I was somewhat miffed when I found that my radio (Sony) didn't even have an auxiliary input jack, or MP3 input jack as contained in the specs.

If it did have an input jack I could use the 'tuner' on my tablet, which works pretty well, I could even listen to UK radio progs in my car.

Maybe I will just use a mini speaker with my tablet and give up on the car radio, except when playing MP3's.(on discs).

The other crazy thing is there is no input jack yet the system plays DVD's on the front screen, even when driving, which is against the law in most countries, (not sure about Thailand), and was blocked on my BMW.

Ah Well....

Mine has an Alpine head but otherwise same same. Glad you brought this up because I was thinking it was just mine and I was unlucky. thumbsup.gif

I think you can get a meter that will allow you to "trim" the antenna which should give you better reception.

Can you explain further please? Not sure I understand; how does the meter trim the antenna?

Just an analog gage and you extend the mast until you get max signal. I have not seen one for years.