Thai Army Defends Blimp Repairs

webfact

Army defends blimp repairs

The Nation

30191291-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Army said yesterday that the deal worth Bt50 million for two foreign companies to repair and further equip its grounded airship in the South was permitted because a maintenance agreement with the seller had expired.

After the repair work is done, the Army's lone blimp will be operational by November, said spokesman Colonel Winthai Suwaree.

New optical surveillance and signalrelaying equipment will be installed after the completion of the maintenance work, he added.

The Army has spent Bt25 million to maintain the Bt350-million blimp, which mostly involves Bt300,000 a month to keep it filled with helium to keep it intact and prevent leaks. Kept in a hangar in Pattani, the blimp was controversially purchased by former Army chief Anupong Paochinda with an aim to provide surveillance and air support to security forces. It's manufactured by Worldwide Aeros Corp, one of the companies awarded the new contract.

According to an online news source, citing claims by highranking officers, there is still a Bt15million deposit to guarantee "effectiveness and satisfaction" not yet paid to Arial International, which sold the airship.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-28

Third world solutions for a third world country..

I guess no one considered the long term costs of keeping this cold air balloon aloft..(I know it's helium really)

Maybe they could consider an LPG conversion.. Thai style ??

There's a shed load of countries out there that wish they had the current account and balance of trade numbers of this, "third world country", not leat of the USA!

• Like 1

Ha ha ha - my thoughts exactly, a red dot to help their aim - I mean could the target be any larger? One shot and this could be a huge flame out. Unbelievable using a helium filled object in a 'war' zone. And they can kiss their collective asses goodbye for the USD millions they put into it. Stupid is as stupid does comes to mind. rolleyes.gif

You didn't pay much attention in school science class did you?

Helium is not hydrogen!

When they find out hydrogen is cheaper and looks exactly the same, what do you think they will use......booooom.

Ha ha ha - my thoughts exactly, a red dot to help their aim - I mean could the target be any larger? One shot and this could be a huge flame out. Unbelievable using a helium filled object in a 'war' zone. And they can kiss their collective asses goodbye for the USD millions they put into it. Stupid is as stupid does comes to mind. rolleyes.gif

Helium is not hydrogen!

At least its not nitrous oxide. They'd be the laughing stock, that's for sure. :(

Edited by Payboy

People should really learn what they are talking about before posting.

For example, helium is NOT flammable, and shooting at helium filled balloons (and blimps) will NOT cause them to explode in giant fireballs.Do you really think they would use HELIUM to fill balloons at parties and fairs if it was that dangerous ?

Also, those large (helium filled) blimps are quite hard to shoot down apparently. Unless of course the (4-7) blimps that I see everyday, anchored in and around Kandahar are made from some magical material that is bullet resistant. Note: the company maintaining those blimps claim it takes hundreds of (bullet) holes to damage one enough to bring it down.

• Like 1

Helium ? Flame out ? This ain't the 1930's anymore.

For example, helium is NOT flammable, and shooting at helium filled balloons (and blimps) will NOT cause them to explode in giant fireballs.Do you really think they would use HELIUM to fill balloons at parties and fairs if it was that dangerous ?

Also, those large (helium filled) blimps are quite hard to shoot down apparently. Unless of course the (4-7) blimps that I see everyday, anchored in and around Kandahar are made from some magical material that is bullet resistant. Note: the company maintaining those blimps claim it takes hundreds of (bullet) holes to damage one enough to bring it down.

Exactly.

Actually as archaic as they look the blimps are a very useful and effective airborne surveillance tool. Compared to other types of aircraft, they are cheap to maintain, cheap to operate and can sit on station for hours and hours and hours.

• Like 1

Helium is not hydrogen!

He must of missed that day in primary school...

• Like 1

Didnt you know the bullets just bounce off them..tongue.png

Exactly.

Actually as archaic as they look the blimps are a very useful and effective airborne surveillance tool. Compared to other types of aircraft, they are cheap to maintain, cheap to operate and can sit on station for hours and hours and hours.

Until a slingshot pokes a hole and the helium leaks out. Seriously I had thought they did have their uses but having seen the standing cost I am not so sure. Nothing a http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/115123-affordable-hexacopter-drone-for-aerial-photography could not do for a fraction of the price

Helium ? Flame out ? This ain't the 1930's anymore.

Flame Out: "the failure of a jet engine caused by an interruption of the fuel supply or by faulty combustion."Hmmmm, confused are we!

If they want to detect insurgents this would be the perfect way to not ever find anyone and one day get shot down in flames. Why not sell and purchase a couple of cheap unmanned drones for covert surveillance? Again shows how not serious they are about resolving problems in the south.

Helium is not hydrogen!

Correct - science was not my most favoured subject - I recalled seeing the footage of the zeppelin and married the two. My mistake and thx for pointing it out. I would still stand by losing it to the ground with a tracer or similar shell thru the target though. wai.gif

Good post. These types of blimps are used by many militarys around the world.

Before you slag the Thais for using a blimp for this purpose, consider the following from Wikipedia:

In the spring of 2004,
supplied the world's first fully functional unmanned airship to the Ministry of Defense in Spain. This airship carried a 42 kilograms (93 lb) classified payload and its surveillance mission was also classified. Four years later, this airship, which is designated GA-22, still flies on an almost daily basis.

In June 1987, the US Navy awarded a US$168.9 million contract to
and
of the UK to demonstrate whether a blimp could be used as an airborne platform to detect the threat of sea-skimming missiles, such as the
At 2.5 million cubic feet, the Westinghouse/Airship Industries Sentinel 5000 (Redesignated YEZ-2A by the U. S. Navy) prototype design was to have been the largest blimp ever constructed.
However, additional funding for the Naval Airship Program was killed in 1995 and development was discontinued.

The CA-80 airship, which was launched in 2000 by Shanghai Vantage Airship Manufacture Co., Ltd., had a successful trial flight in September 2001. This model of airship was designed for the purpose of advertisement and propagation, air-photo, scientific test, tour and surveillance duties. It was certified as a grade-A Hi-Tech introduction program (№ 20000186) in Shanghai, China. The CAAC authority granted a type design approval and certificate of airworthiness for the model CA-80 airship, which has been published in the Jane's All the World's Aircraft for five times (2003–08).

The Switzerland-based Skyship 600 has also played other roles over the years. For example, it was flown over
during the
as a security measure.

In November 2006, the US Army bought an A380+ airship from
through a Systems level contract with
and
. The airship started flight tests in late 2007, with a primary goal of carrying 2,500 lb (1,100 kg) of payload to an altitude of 15,000 ft (4,600 m) under
and
. The program will also demonstrate carrying 1,000 lb (450 kg) of payload to 20,000 ft (6,100 m) The platform could be used for
collections. In 2008, the CA-150 airship was launched by Vantage Airship. This is an improved modification of model CA-120 and completed manufacturing in 2008. With larger volume and increased passenger capacity, it is the largest manned non-rigid airship in China at present.

In 2010, the US Army awarded a $517 million (£350.6 million) contract to
and partner
to develop a
(LEMV) system, in the form of three HAV 304's.

Here's an article from 2011 on this aircraft -

http://news.cnet.com...-lead-zeppelin/

edit - in seemingly a direct contradiction to the history expounded in the linked article, the story in the other major newspaper claims that this airship has never once flown since it was delivered 2 years ago.

Edited by cloudhopper

Their next purchase will probably be some drone aircraft from the US. That will really cost a bundle. The Thai military could save money by getting the drones controlled by the US without the US military setting foot in the kingdom. I hope I don't give them ideas.

That is all they need and they could use the aircraft carrier for a launch pad and maybe some subs like the navy wants to buy.

Third world solutions for a third world country..

I guess no one considered the long term costs of keeping this cold air balloon aloft..(I know it's helium really)

Maybe they could consider an LPG conversion.. Thai style ??

There's a shed load of countries out there that wish they had the current account and balance of trade numbers of this, "third world country", not leat of the USA!

Spain, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, all spring to mind too. Ah, but these are "first" world countries of course.

Here's an article from 2011 on this aircraft -

http://news.cnet.com...-lead-zeppelin/

edit - in seemingly a direct contradiction to the history expounded in the linked article, the story in the other major newspaper claims that this airship has never once flown since it was delivered 2 years ago.

And one from back in 2010 when it was in one piece (though not for long)

blank.gif

Sky Dragon, Floating target

Thu, Feb 04, 2010

The Nation/Asia News Network

By Thanapat Kitjakosol

The Royal Thai Army yesterday came out in defence of the controversial Bt350-million airship acquired to boost security measures in the deep South - and even if the "Sky Dragon" has not been grounded as reported, it will fly into an uncertain future.

The senior officer in charge, Lt Gen Kasikorn Kheereesri, denied the newly bought airship was being sidelined due to safety concerns..........

A source with the airship's operational support pondered its combat efficiency, saying the local landscapes comprised thick bushes and trees, unlike deserts in Iraq or Afghanistan where the US military used airships effectively in fighting off insurgents.

"The local insurgents in the South employ ambushes and hit-and-run attacks against targets, and they do not converge in large groups long enough to be seen by a wandering airship," he said.............

PROCUREMENT APPROVAL:

March 10, 2009: The Abhisit Vejjajiva administration, with Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan and Army chief General Anupong Paochinda, approving Bt 350 million to procure the airship from US-based Aria International for use in the South.

http://news.asiaone....204-196637.html

• Like 1

I am amazed by the insuperable investigative quality of the article quoted in the OP. Verily, its author, whom The Nation regrettably did not name, should be awarded the Pulitzer prize for it. Look at the wealth of information, which to obtain the journalist must have dug deep:

• The blimp cost 250 million Baht.
  • The blimp was manufactured by Worldwide Aeros Corp.
  • The army bought it to provide surveillance and air support to security forces.
  • The maintenance agreement with the seller has expired.
  • The army has so far spent 25 million Baht for maintenance of the blimp.
  • A new contract worth 50 million Baht has been awarded to two foreign companies, one of which is Worldwide Aeros Corp, to repair and further equip the blimp.

Having received this abundance of information I can easily understand why the article does not include the additional, totally useless information that might have answered these questions of my curious mind:

1. When did the army purchase the blimp?
  2. Who sold the blimp to the army?
  3. How many hours, if any, has the blimp so far been in operation for surveillance and air support?
  4. What useful information, if any, has been gleaned from the surveillance?
  5. When did the maintenance agreement with the seller expire?
  6. What is the name of the second foreign company to whom the new contract for repair and further equipment of the blimp has been awarded?

Having read through all posts in this topic now, I find the answer to some of my questions supplied by fellow members who are a bit more investigative than the author of the article. Perhaps the journalists of The Nation could learn from them.