Swedish Man Found Dead At Guesthouse In Chiang Mai

webfact

Omar a Swedish name? Sven is. And Ingemar methinks. In Australia, we often see newspaper headlines such as, for example, "Aussie killed in Tashkent" - you name the place dear reader.

One needs to get into the story to realise the headline refers to a person who might have obtained citizenship 2 weeks earlier, and immediately returned home for a bit of a brag with her/his shiny new passport.

Such people are accorded equal status with, for example, 6th generation citizens whose forefathers fought - and died - to protect this country in one or more major wars. This of course is perfectly fine if such people actually love this country, intend to die here, and would fight for it. Otherwise it's just politically correct rubbush. But this is Oz in 2012.

This poor gent might have been a Swedish citizen, but this tells the casual reader nothing about his ethnicity.

"RIP" posters - leave them alone dear reader. They need to increase their post rate, and the few seconds it takes to type 3 letters has to be efficiency itself!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such people are accorded equal status with, for example, 6th generation citizens whose forefathers fought - and died - to protect this country in one or more major wars.

And why shouldn't they be? What your ancestors may have done has absolutely nothing to do with what you are (as evidenced by your racist post), and who their ancestors were has nothing to do with what they are.

• Like 2

So the poor Swede has some psyciatric problems so his first inclination is to go to the owner of the guest house and say, "hey Mr. Jiemjitrat I just want you to know I have been getting treatment for a psyciatric problem, ya know, just in case I end up dead". If I had psycatric problems (which I secretly do) I wouldn't be telling anyone. So how does our fine Mr. Jiemjitrat know this bit of trivia? Perhaps it is a bit of misdirection? Perhaps the mysterious "thin Thai woman, over 30" told him, you know, just incase the unfortunate Swede should end up dead and all.

He may simply have had the GH owner tell the Taxi driver to go to Suan Prung hosp. or after 7 months they most likely had converations and he revealed his situation, seems some posters have revealed mental health issues of their own.

Oh God! I'm so tired of people giving their "condolences" and "RIP'S" to victims on this board. It's so phony and contrived. Instead of wasting time and space seek out these peoples relatives and tell them for yourself if you really mean it. Something tells me you won't bother because you're either lazy or you really don't mean it. You just want to bleed heart on this forum. Let's just keep it to real comments and facts. Do you really think anyone will benefit from your weak inductive reasoning?

What do real comments or facts really add to any tragedy? Giving your condolences or RIP just shows your are a civilized human being, there isn't that much more behind it really. If you can't handle that, you shouldn't be here..!

Edited by luckyman
  • Like 1

Oh dearie me cloudhoper, try really hard to avoid the all too common knee-jerk reaction syndrome. Try free-thinking.

Read the sentence FOLLOWING the one you quote -- the point at which you stopped reading.

I work with 150+ people. The two nicest people - by far - are Philipino and Pakistani.

BUT, mate, they love my country.

C'est la difference, mate.

Too many here HATE my country, yet greedily grasp its welfare system, and abuse us as non-believers [whatever that means].

Oh dearie me cloudhoper, try really hard to avoid the all too common knee-jerk reaction syndrome. Try free-thinking.

Read the sentence FOLLOWING the one you quote -- the point at which you stopped reading.

I work with 150+ people. The two nicest people - by far - are Philipino and Pakistani.

BUT, mate, they love my country.

C'est la difference, mate.

Too many here HATE my country, yet greedily grasp its welfare system, and abuse us as non-believers [whatever that means].

What on earth does this have to do with a Swedish citizen dying in Chiang Mai? His name is Omar - so what? The deceased may even be a Christian refuge from a Muslim country - have some respect for those who knew him and may be visiting this forum.

Edited by simple1

So the poor Swede has some psyciatric problems so his first inclination is to go to the owner of the guest house and say, "hey Mr. Jiemjitrat I just want you to know I have been getting treatment for a psyciatric problem, ya know, just in case I end up dead". If I had psycatric problems (which I secretly do) I wouldn't be telling anyone. So how does our fine Mr. Jiemjitrat know this bit of trivia? Perhaps it is a bit of misdirection? Perhaps the mysterious "thin Thai woman, over 30" told him, you know, just incase the unfortunate Swede should end up dead and all.

I don't know how long you have been in Thailand, but if very long, you should have noticed by now, that Thai people, in general, (not all), really like to gossip, especially about foreigners. They seem to especially like to spread anything negative, malicilous, things that would normally be considered private (even your good "friends" will immediately spread your most personal details around town). If he had a girlfriend, she would certainly tell everyone in the guesthouse all his private details ...how else do you think they know how much money he has every month for example ...do European people generally just give this info out as part of our introduction? If anyone drove him to the hospital, they would have told everyone at Sompet market, the guesthouse, 7-11, any bars he went to, etc. They also make up quite a lot of stuff based on speculation ....had he gone there to visit a friend, or do volunteer work, or inquire about getting some drug, or just by accident thinking it was a normal hosptial, same result. Probably he did go there, probably he didn't tell the guesthouse, but some friend he trusted, but who told half the city, who also told every other personal detail he ever disclosed ...and as well, if (she/he didn't speak English so well, half the info maybe suffered from bad translations which has happened to gossip that has been passed on about me ...to such an extent that I came up being Spanish, rather than American and all sorts of wildly wrong info.)

• Like 1

Good point Amykat. In my involvement with Lanna Care Net, we've chased down stories of an unclaimed body of a foreigner in the morgue at Suan Dok hospital, a foreigner lying in his own filth, uncared-for in a village and an foreigner who was getting drunk on the cheap bootleg rice whiskey that can damage your brain.

In these cases -- no unclaimed body at the morgue, the foreigner was well-cared for and walking around the local market and the drunk was consuming 800 baht bottles of wine.

And these are stories from Thai nurses and condo building managers. Not just idle gossips at the market!

Edited by NancyL

Omar Reiner .. Swedish ... ?? Sure!

Even if i had a Thai passport it doesn´t mean im Thai. wink.png

Swedes never want to accept responsibility for their people. Absolute rubbish. Possibly more xenophobic then Korea.

Dear simple1 [appropriate nomenclature], you, like cloudhoppe, CHOSE to entirely miss my point. To what end one wonders.

I was merely replying to cloudhopper's rather silly and emotional accusation that I was a racist. My response did not directly address the death of the Swedish citizen, per se [though the undignified placement of the gentleman's body was such that one could not but feel for him - and his family - and hence feel deep sympathy].

As for his being a Swedish man - I rather think that Harry or Jock is not the first name of ANY Arabic man - repeat ANY ARABIC MAN - in the middle east or anywhere. Arabic CITIZEN perhaps.

Omar was doubtless a Swedish citizen as stated on his passport but he wasn't a Swedish man with THAT name, unless his heart was or had been in Sweden rather than his country of origin. If this fact was KNOWN then he was indeed a SWEDISH MAN. It's the heart that counts, mate. The 'eart, mate.

I will always be an Australian man, regardless of my place of domicile - even though I may love that place, and never want to leave.

My feeling is that your response was FAKE. Try reason. It works. Try authenticity. That works too.

'Ave a go at faking it, if it don't come natural like. Mate.

Dear simple1 [appropriate nomenclature], you, like cloudhoppe, CHOSE to entirely miss my point. To what end one wonders.

I was merely replying to cloudhopper's rather silly and emotional accusation that I was a racist. My response did not directly address the death of the Swedish citizen, per se [though the undignified placement of the gentleman's body was such that one could not but feel for him - and his family - and hence feel deep sympathy].

As for his being a Swedish man - I rather think that Harry or Jock is not the first name of ANY Arabic man - repeat ANY ARABIC MAN - in the middle east or anywhere. Arabic CITIZEN perhaps.

Omar was doubtless a Swedish citizen as stated on his passport but he wasn't a Swedish man with THAT name, unless his heart was or had been in Sweden rather than his country of origin. If this fact was KNOWN then he was indeed a SWEDISH MAN. It's the heart that counts, mate. The 'eart, mate.

I will always be an Australian man, regardless of my place of domicile - even though I may love that place, and never want to leave.

My feeling is that your response was FAKE. Try reason. It works. Try authenticity. That works too.

'Ave a go at faking it, if it don't come natural like. Mate.

What is the relevance with this topic to do with your complaint regards "Arabic" men claiming welfare etc, your love of Australia, commenting on TV member post rates etc; completely irrelevant to the topic other than high jacking the thread. Mate, yes racist is the wrong word to describe your posts, but you do come across as a bigot - mate.

Edited by simple1

Very suspicious! The police should question the owner of the guest house! Is he friends with the dead swedish? How close were they that he even knows how much is credited into his account every month?? Also, they are the same age!

Far as I remember, I do not let even my friends know the details of my account. How so the Thai owner knows so much?? Something smells rotten here.

Poor swedish chap. I feel so sorry for him.

simple, I note that your need to misinterprate continues. If my post/s is/are 'irrelevant', are not your replies?

If you want to have another go, kindly directly quote the sentence where I included the words "Arabic men on welfare" [or whatever you think comes closest to that...

Reading between the lines is a cheap trick [and fraught with peril].

Your manipulativeness hasn't worked.

I'll return to this just the one more time to see what you can invent. Should be good for a chuckle. Otherwise, finito for me.

simple, I note that your need to misinterprate continues. If my post/s is/are 'irrelevant', are not your replies?

If you want to have another go, kindly directly quote the sentence where I included the words "Arabic men on welfare" [or whatever you think comes closest to that...

Reading between the lines is a cheap trick [and fraught with peril].

Your manipulativeness hasn't worked.

I'll return to this just the one more time to see what you can invent. Should be good for a chuckle. Otherwise, finito for me.

Thanks for your clarification, looks like your words below were not aimed at those of the Islamic faith and it's my misunderstanding of the intent. if that is correct, I apologise.

"Too many here HATE my country, yet greedily grasp its welfare system, and abuse us as non-believers [whatever that means]"

I have seen a business for sale owned by the"joker brothers" recently in some of the classifieds, about two weeks ago.I think it's a small guest house, including a tattoo service somewhere in the building.I can't find it to add a link.tattoos change the scenario. I'm amazed how few posts so far on this one, If it was a tourist girl from u.k it would receive more attention

my guess is he died from the smog, the air is so bad it wouldn't take long for someone with breathing trouble (lots of pills on the pictures) to pass away

RIP

Edited by yoslim

RIP

I just flew back to chiang mai, and got the bad news, i knew him pretty well. The guesthouse isnt the same without him anymore.

There is a mistake on this article, because he isnt 30 he is 44 years old.

He died from a overdose from prescription medications.

Edited by Makai128

Oh God! I'm so tired of people giving their "condolences" and "RIP'S" to victims on this board. It's so phony and contrived. Instead of wasting time and space seek out these peoples relatives and tell them for yourself if you really mean it.

Perhaps you don't realize but it is very common that relatives/friends will see these topics. If condolences can give some comfort to them regardless of how it's presented what's it to you?

does that offset the inevitable moronic speculation?

On another well known forum in Thailand they have a very active "Amateur CSI". These boys have usually cracked the case before the police have even had time to investigate. They don't let stupid little things like facts get in the way of their decision making processes.

smile.png

From a Swedish guy found dead in CM in his room in a "budget guesthouse" to "ambulance chasers in Pattaya" to speculations about his religion and the bombings in Bali. Can't wait for the next reply to this topic.

My c

My comment about the Chiang Mai press is related to the OP. Do you consider that off topic?