Avg 2013 Free Addition - Major Upgrade Problem - Avoid

SamuiRes

Have used AVG Free for years with no problems.

Prompted to upgrade to the latest version and having done so none of my programs were accesible despite numerous restarts. Eventually started in Safe Mode and went to the AVG Forum and this appears too be a serious problem.

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=217263

The only solution was to download the AVG Removal Tool and once AVG was gone, my programs came back - at least those I have checked so far. I have now installed AVIRA and will not go near AVG ever again.

• Like 1

I was pleased to see this thread, it explained why I was having soooo many problems, I thought something was up, I upgraded my AVG and whilst I was lucky and didnt lose anything the whole machine was incredibly slow, Chrome was next to useless and didnt function correctly, other programs were crashing left right and center. Uninstalled the AVG altogether, restarted, and no problems everything back where it should be and functioning again.

Shame as I had used AVG for years without complaints.

Over to Avast now for me.

Edited by CharlieH

I was pleased to see this thread, it explained why I was having soooo many problems, I thought something was up, I upgraded my AVG and whilst I was lucky and didnt lose anything the whole machine was incredibly slow, Chrome was next to useless and didnt function correctly, other programs were crashing left right and center. Uninstalled the AVG altogether, restarted, and no problems everything back where it should be and functioning again.

Sorry to mention it,but I had similar problems with Avast Free Edition........Beware!

MAJIC :"Sorry to mention it,but I had similar problems with Avast Free Edition........Beware!"

Always good to read others experience, when someone or something points you in the right direction it makes things a lot easier to sort out. Its when you dont know whats doing it the nightmare begins.

Installed the Avast and so far (fingers crossed) all seems well and operating fine. I actually had the Avast on two other machines without issue hence my choice. Guess with some there maybe a software clash but all good (so far) for me.

Thanks for the heads up.

hehehehe...

Windows...

agh...I am not going to troll and say how I don't care about this because I use a mac now. nothing gets installed here without a password and being form the app store. Also, everything here runs sandboxed. I hear Windows 8 is going to try and start copying that for "Metro Apps". Whatever. anyway...

as far as Windows, I can say for a fact that the very best antivirus solution is in fact the one Microsoft gives you. Microsoft Security Essentials. Install that. It's all you need. I got rid of AVAST and all that boloney. Set it. forget it. updated it once in a while.

This is how you keep your Windows machine clean in 3 easy steps:

1- PAY for a REAL copy of windows. It's not expensive. I bought mine for 3,600 baht. Home Premium 64bit. If you think the crackers are giving you Windows 7 all free and clean for your pleasure then you're really ignorant. It looks like this and you can buy it at any mall.

product_135399.jpg

If you buy a laptop in thailand and they offer to put windows for an extra 300 baht, say NO.

2- Download Security Essentials.

3- stop downloading software torrents.

Edited by thaicruze
  • Like 1

The only solution was to download the AVG Removal Tool and once AVG was gone, my programs came back - at least those I have checked so far. I have now installed AVIRA and will not go near AVG ever again.

I tried to remove AVG from my notebook and could not completely uninstall it. Can you direct me to the AVG removal tool.

Th

I tried to remove AVG from my notebook and could not completely uninstall it. Can you direct me to the AVG removal tool.

Th

http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

AVG went dodgy over the past yar or so sneaking their toolbar in along with an install. it hijacks your search settings and if deleted, replaces itself next time you restart.

there are irate AVG users all over the interweb.

i would not touch them again with a 10 foot pole after using them for years

• Like 1

AVG went dodgy over the past yar or so sneaking their toolbar in along with an install. it hijacks your search settings and if deleted, replaces itself next time you restart.

If you don't want the toolbar installed, specify so at install time by unclicking the box, it does ask you!

I installed AVG 2013. Nightmare. Updates failing, locking out my WDTV Live players so I couldn't access content on my computer and wouldn't allow me to change settings in Public and Private profiles. Uninstalled it in a hurry.

Using a Kaspersky Trial while I decide what to buy. Might go back to Norton

Seems like every other application I download try's to sneak a toolbar on. One needs to be super vigilant and read every check box carefully.

Thanks SamuiRes for the AVG Tools link.

Has the pendulum swung back to AVAST as the current best free Anti-Virus?

Edited by dddave

Seems like every other application I download try's to sneak a toolbar on. One needs to be super vigilant and read every check box carefully.

Thanks SamuiRes for the AVG Tools link.

Has the pendulum swung back to AVAST as the current best free Anti-Virus?

Nope. I say again, Microsoft Security Essentials is the best free antivirus for Windows. Period.

I ended up uninstalling AVAST because it was making my wife's laptop not being able to go to the desktop,and my computer was running weird too. I deleted that crap. Put Essentials on both laptops and never had to worry about anti virus programs, my computer running slow or viruses.

Do yourselves a favor. Delete all the free anti virus bloat out of your computer and go here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

and forget about it. just enjoy the computer.

or do like I did, buy a Mac and forget about this entirely.

Edited by thaicruze
  • Like 2

I am using the paid version of AVG, 3 licences and have had no problems at all with any upgrade.

As for MSE, It is good, but has no browser integration, which is the reason I didnt use it. The best firewall/protection I ever had was Sygate personal firewall but they got bought out a long time ago and discontinued.

For the relatively small asking price I would recommend paying for a full version of any AV/firewall software.

If you don't want the toolbar installed, specify so at install time by unclicking the box, it does ask you!

I dont mind the sneaky install, you are right, it could have been avoided had i not been setting up a new machine and installing all sorts of software in a hurry.

The dodgy part is the amount of effort and research to figure out how to uninstall.

I am using the paid version of AVG, 3 licences and have had no problems at all with any upgrade.

As for MSE, It is good, but has no browser integration, which is the reason I didnt use it. The best firewall/protection I ever had was Sygate personal firewall but they got bought out a long time ago and discontinued.

For the relatively small asking price I would recommend paying for a full version of any AV/firewall software.

It scans everything coming into the computer. It's the only protection I have in my wife's laptop and in every single computer in my computer lab. all virus free.

If you have a cracked version of Windows, then I can't promise anything.

It's silly that people have to waste their time on this. Installing anti malware, firewalls, anti virus, and this and the other thing. Some people have 2 or 3 virus protection stuff going. It's ridiculous.

I bought my Mac. Turned it on and started enjoying it. I don't care about any of this crap.

Edited by thaicruze

• 2 months later...

I upgraded the free version to 2013 maybe a half year ago. No issues. Now, over the past few days I'm unable to update. Any news on this front out there ? AVG has been the best anti virus program I've ever used. I'd hate to let it go unless I have to. Any more testimonials out there for the paid program ? Judging from a google search lots of folks with problems updating the free version, but not so with the paid.

I upgraded the free version to 2013 maybe a half year ago. No issues. Now, over the past few days I'm unable to update. Any news on this front out there ? AVG has been the best anti virus program I've ever used. I'd hate to let it go unless I have to. Any more testimonials out there for the paid program ? Judging from a google search lots of folks with problems updating the free version, but not so with the paid.

I am failing to update at the moment too. I wouldn't worry about it. It's happened to me before and in the next day or so the update works OK.

I am failing to update at the moment too. I wouldn't worry about it. It's happened to me before and in the next day or so the update works OK.

Thanks Whybother. Let's hope you are right. I've never had the issue before. Then again, I've never had an issue accessing the NYTimes website before either. That's been an issue, off and on, for a week.

I upgraded to a free 30 day trial today (with a few more bells and whistles) and voila !!!-the updater working immediately. So, I'll wade into the options after 30 days and see what's what. Despite the aggravation, AVG has been far and away the best anti-virus program I've ever used.

I upgraded to a free 30 day trial today (with a few more bells and whistles) and voila !!!-the updater working immediately. So, I'll wade into the options after 30 days and see what's what. Despite the aggravation, AVG has been far and away the best anti-virus program I've ever used.

I have continued to have the update problem, so today I uninstalled and tried to reinstall. I got errors during the reinstall, so I scrapped that idea and have installed Avast.

Sorry to mention it,but I had similar problems with Avast Free Edition........Beware!

I use Avast - never had a problem.

MS-Windows and Antivirus programs some have no problems and some users see the old famous blue screens way too much. The reason is that now Antivirus program developers start to develop 64/32-bit aware versions of the programs.

The problem is that you run your 32-bit Internet web browser and a 64-bits plugin/program sees dangerous activity and you all you get is a Microsoft famous blue screen. As a 64-bits program/plugin cannot really work well with the way Microsoft made 32/64-bits compatible.

I’m pretty sure that most people who have problems with antivirus software are using 64-bits versions of MS Windows. If you use 32-bits MS-Windows you probably have no problems as all programs are running 32-bits and no compatible issues mess-up the system.