Can A Child Be Brought Up Both Christian & Buddhist?

Livinginexile

I'm not a devout Christian but I do go to church 3 or four times a year. I was brought up with carrols by candlelight, Easter tranditions, Christmas carols....I have very fond memories of these times. My wife is a devout Buddhist and often visits the local Wat with me and my Son. I never feel comfortable there but attend because it means a lot to my Thai wife.

She has absolutely no objection to teaching him Christian traditions but I worry it will spiritly confuse him.

I would love to give him the best of both, is it possible for someone to grow up with two religions?

How do other parents deal with this?

we celebrate christmas, easter but don't attend church. My son attends a christian school & he goes to temple with his father several times a year. He will be raised as I was, with religion as part of our school life but not forced down our throats at home. That will apply to both religions & he can decide when he is old enough what he wants to beleive in. I don't think it confuses them, I assume it might if one or both parents are very religious but if it is a concept rather than a practice then they (kids) are usually able to adapt to the idea for each.

I have little interest in trying to bring the children up as Christians.

The Thai wife make the kids wear a "Budda" necklaces. I wouldn't say

she is a strong believer. We as a family never had any issues about

religion.

I think you will have problems if both parents are of different faiths and each

spouse has strong belief in their own religion.

my children have lived with the animist in bali praying to all sorts of gods as well as the muslims of indo being called to mosk. they have watched their mother making offerings of pig heads and hear the report of explosives to drive off evil spirits and never had any issues until they visited their cousins and went to a church that tried to save them. we promote faith and discourage religion.

• Like 1

As canuck and others have hinted at, it depends on how devout/conservative you are. If you are doing it to espose your child to new concepts, it wouldn't be too harmful. But if you insist on molding your child in a specific direction, you cannot serve two masters.

I don't know how long I'll be on this planet. I prefer not to weigh my son down in forced religion. At least that's one thing I can be confident that my gf will never do.

• Like 1

A Christian will tell you no, A Buddhist will say go for it.

They are not really compatible if you take either one seriously.

In one salvation from sin is made possible through faith. In the other salvation(end of suffering) is dependent on your ability to live (practice) perfectly.

One takes a lifetime. The other takes infinite lifetimes.

Christianity declares there is one truth, one path. Buddhism requires you to find your own truth.

Christianity has a God that will not tolerate worship of anything thing else. Buddhism has no God, but the followers may have many gods.

My daughter is brought up in our predominately Buddhist village.

However she goes to a local Catholic school and asked to get confirmed.

The Nun asked the Head local Priest.

"Can she (my daughter) be a Buddhist and Catholic" in front of me one day after Mass."

He replied

"It's up to her, let HER decide when she is older, about 18 or so, but for know, why stop her from going to the Buddhist Wat with her mother and family? That would upset people and she learns important things there too.

So let her do both, and when she is older, she can decide which is best for her"

That was coming from the horses mouth so to speak,

Being the Head Priest whatever in charge of the large area he covers for the local Catholics.

Nice guy, Nun and daughter happy with answer, wife very happy.

Never say an never, applies to concepts as well.

Well lets not get a debate going about Catholicism VS fundamental Christianity. The Op didn't mention what association he considers himself connected to. But Catholicism in Thailand is hardly distinguishable from the religious aspects of Buddhism. So I am not surprised in the least with the priests response. Ask a few other denominations and you would get an opposite answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i suggest if you love your child truly- don't give him/her any ideas about religion or gods.

If your wife or her family starts to push Buddhism on him/her then you should try to educate the child away from that silly stuff.

if jesus/buddha/muhamad/krishna or whoever did exist then he/she will be shown the way.

be careful of the Thai culture, TV and schooling they will certainly brainwash the kids into believing in ghosts and superstitions which gives people a false sense of reality, as much as Christianity or any of the other god beliefs do.

• Like 1

I'm not a devout Christian but I do go to church 3 or four times a year. I was brought up with carrols by candlelight, Easter tranditions, Christmas carols....I have very fond memories of these times. My wife is a devout Buddhist and often visits the local Wat with me and my Son. I never feel comfortable there but attend because it means a lot to my Thai wife.

She has absolutely no objection to teaching him Christian traditions but I worry it will spiritly confuse him.

I would love to give him the best of both, is it possible for someone to grow up with two religions?

How do other parents deal with this?

Why would anyone need a religion anyway. This is 21st century

sent from-would like to know

It's a difficult one. rolleyes.gif

Difficult one?

Maybe in one sense:

With Christianity the (compulsory) teaching is awful but the people are usually decent.

With Buddhism the (optional) teaching is excellent but the way it's practised in Thailand and is, well, rites and rituals (warned against by the Buddha himself).