Strict Drinking Hours At Hotel Pubs

george

Drinking hours in hotel pubs?

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Department drops a bombshell on THA members with a new proposed law that introduces strict drinking hours at hotel pubs.

New regulations proposed by the Public Health Department could cut drinking time in hotel bars and restaurants to 11 to 1400 and 1700 to 2300, Thai Hotels Association members were told at their meeting yesterday.

Although the regulations still need to be fine-tuned before they are presented to the Minister of Public Health for approval, hoteliers expressed dismay claiming the rule would rob the country of its tourism capital status.

Already facing stiff competition from Singapore , which relaxed rules and allows virtually around-the-clock drinking and entertainment, Bangkok hoteliers said the proposed rule was “contrary to the country’s objective to position the city as a tourism capital in Asia .”

It would also rob the hotels of revenue and could force some properties to cut back on staff if drinking hours are introduced in hotel restaurants and pubs.

The proposed rules are similar to the strict opening hours that were in place in the UK until they were relaxed three years ago.

An argument against the 1700-2300 opening hours is it encourages what the British call binge drinking when customers line up several pints of beer on the table as closing time approaches.

--ettrdaily.com 2006-02-01

All these laws are just plain silly, this is certainly about a lot more than just looking after peoples health. There must be some very powerful people involved in the alcohol business that are a threat to the people holding power at this moment in time.

If this goes through it certainly will be the nail in the coffin!!!

Last time I stayed in a hotel the lobby bar closed at 1 AM, there were very few customers from about 10 PM when I went there.

And over New Year Holidays the resort's bar was open but there were no customers - all Thais were in their bungaloes.

Late night drinking seems to be only for farmers and laborers, middle class Thais go to bed early, and with their wives, too.

Gone are the days when the first word to describe Thailand was sanook (apart from "smile", of course).

After reading this I need a drink even though it is 4pm, burp!

Can someone please inform the Public Health Department there is a major loophole in this law. Namely, it does not cover minibars which can be accessed in hotel rooms 24/7. So for the "fine-tuning" I suggest they add a clause that at 2pm in every hotel hotel room throughout the country a maid enter and padlock the mini-bar, return at 5pm to unlock it, and repeat at 11pm and 11am. Furthermore, any opened alcoholic beverages observed in the room should be confiscated at lock down times.

Drinking hours in hotel pubs?

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Department drops a bombshell on THA members with a new proposed law that introduces strict drinking hours at hotel pubs.

New regulations proposed by the Public Health Department could cut drinking time in hotel bars and restaurants to 11 to 1400 and 1700 to 2300, Thai Hotels Association members were told at their meeting yesterday.

Although the regulations still need to be fine-tuned before they are presented to the Minister of Public Health for approval, hoteliers expressed dismay claiming the rule would rob the country of its tourism capital status.

Already facing stiff competition from Singapore , which relaxed rules and allows virtually around-the-clock drinking and entertainment, Bangkok hoteliers said the proposed rule was “contrary to the country’s objective to position the city as a tourism capital in Asia .”

It would also rob the hotels of revenue and could force some properties to cut back on staff if drinking hours are introduced in hotel restaurants and pubs.

The proposed rules are similar to the strict opening hours that were in place in the UK until they were relaxed three years ago.

An argument against the 1700-2300 opening hours is it encourages what the British call binge drinking when customers line up several pints of beer on the table as closing time approaches.

:o Imagine....just imagine.... :D

Some high Thai and foreign officials or top-businessmen are together in a *****-star hotel, in the presence of the PM.....negotiating an important deal at 22.59PM.....they finish the deal at 23.05PM....and order a fine bottle of VSOP French Cognac :D to celebrate the deal...

:D The 23 year old trainee from Isaan: "solly gentlemen....no can have dlink....big boss tell me you cannot have dlink anymore....so solly"

:D:D:D

LaoPo

Just ban alcohol in any form at any time in any place and get it over with..... enough of this chip, chip, chipping away... bit by bit.

Right...and than CLOSE the borders! For all and everybody.

Thailand for THAI PEOPLE ONLY!!! :D

I will be very quiet on the streets....VERY quiet :o

LaoPo

Hotel bars...are they saying that tourists and traveling buissnessmen are the most people getting into trubble becouse of drinking?

Thought that was the bus-driver that falls asleep on the highway.

Hey!!! :o Go easy on the poor bus drivers. I will not stand for bus driver abuse in all its nefarious forms! :D

Here's the latest from today's ETTR:

Times up for hotel pub drinking

Friday, February 03, 2006

A draft law that limits drinking times in hotel restaurants and pubs will face tough opposition from the hotel industry.

Thai Hotel Association strongly opposes new Public Health Ministry draft act that seeks to establish specific drinking hours for the country’s registered hotels.

The draft act forbids the sale of alcohol to customer age under 21 years and limits sales in hotels to two periods 1100 to 1400 and 1700 to 2200 on Sunday to Thursday. The only concession to late night drinkers is the extra hour on Friday and Saturday when hotel pubs and entertainment spots are allowed to sell alcohol 1100 to 1400 and 1700 to 2400.

The draft act also seeks to restrict alcohol sales in areas within 200 metres of schools and temples.

Since yesterday’s ettrdaily story that broke details of the new draft law, two subscribers wrote letters to the editor. One suggested the editor had mistaken 1 February with 1 April, the day when publications can print silly stories to fool their readers.

‘It is simply too incredulous to think that a country that claims to be the tourism capital of Asia even entertained such a proposal.”

The other letter on a more serious note said if the rule was implemented it would ruin the stock value of public listed hotels, drive tourists away to other more open societies and end any ambitions of reaching tourist arrivals targets.

THA vice president, Prakit Chinamourpong said the proposed regulations in the draft act would have a devastating impact on the financial health of the Thai hotel business. He said 50% of hotel revenue comes from the sale of food and beverage.

“We strongly disagree with these regulations because they represent a one-sided decision by government without taking into consideration the business implications. That’s why we have to oppose before it the act is passed into law. It would be difficult to make adjustments once it becomes law,” said Mr Prakit.

Mr Prakit adds that even the regulation forbidding the sale of alcohol in areas within 200 metres of schools and temples would seriously damage the hotel business in Chiang Mai because has more than 200 temples in the province, many of them close to hotels.

“If this draft act goes through I can see real difficulties for the hotels in Chiang Mai,” he said.

In addition, the draft act prohibits the sale of alcohol nationwide on Buddhist religious public holidays and HM the King’s birthday. (5 December)

Alcohol would not be sold at gas station convenience stores, at vending machines, while breweries and their agents could not give away beverages or discount the price to generate sales.

THA still has to work out the full implications of the draft act.

In 2005 Hotels had to adjust to new no-smoking regulations, restricted opening hours for entertainment spots and a lesser publicised regulation that allows condominium and apartment block owners to operate also as hotels.

THA reported hotel occupancy for member hotels by region in 2005 showed a slight decline in Bangkok to 74.3% from 75.2 in 2004. Occupancy in Phuket and popular southern resorts fell to 40% from 60%. Khao Lak closed the year with just 10%. Eastern seaboard hotels averaged 65%. Western region hotels registered 80% up from 60%. Hua Hin and Cha-am averaged 80% up from 65%. northern region hotels averaged 65% up from 55% while the central region, excluding Bangkok averaged 70% up from 67%.

Mr Prakit expects tourist arrival this year could reach 13 million.

“I think TAT will target 14 million but that would difficult to achieve. I believe the industry would be happy to reach 13 million,” Mr Prakit said.

Looks like they are trying to attract the tourists who are fed up going on holiday to Saudi Arabia,Libya and Iran... :D

Sure why not go to Thailand, it's also a dry country, so early to bed, the next thing will a ban on bringing in your duty free bottle of whatever.

Do they really expect tourist to travel half way around the world to be put early to bed without a drink, the next thing they will ban sex. :o

These enormous big plastic pillars of beer with an ice-pole in the middle of it and a tap, ah, now I understand. There is three liter in them isn't it?

Is that what you call binge drinking? Order one or two of these just before two o'clock?

I love Thailand and nobody is going to take that away from me!

Limbo :o

I don't understand all the fuss. Just hang around with Thais and you can drink 24 hours a day ..... in Bangkok.

Ratchada has places open until 4 or 5 am. The police are evn kind enough to help you when you try and drive your car home.

Thong Lor has Japanese bars open, selling alcohol 24 hours a day. They say no Thais or farangs but ask nicely and they'll let you in. Not expensive either.

Most supermarkets have now dropped the rule about not selling alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm although seven eleven seem to have tightened up on that rule. (Mind you I have seen Thais standing in seven eleven drinking beers. Maybe they pay after 5 pm)

TIT

I.

Thong Lor has Japanese bars open, selling alcohol 24 hours a day. They say no Thais or farangs but ask nicely and they'll let you in. Not expensive either.

TIT

:D really? isn't that discrimination? Allowed by Law in Thailand?...hmmm :o

LaoPo

I.

TIT

:D really? isn't that discrimination? Allowed by Law in Thailand?...hmmm :o

LaoPo

Allowed by Law in Thailand?...

Which law???? Money is the only law around here.