Being Ripped Off By The British Gov.

meatboy

Where would be be without our weekly dose of 'Whinging Pom's'?

Stay tuned next week for "All those bloody foreigners coming to leech of the system" and "I decided to move to a country where they don't index my pension, but even though it was my choice to do so, I'm going to have a whinge anyway"

Cue - east enders music.

Now, where is my pot of Tetley's and that marmite?

Forced to agree even as a subject of the realm myself.

Enough bleating already. I know it's not their fault they've been hosed by the government but no one can go back and eradicate the incompetence that hallmarked the administration of the UK's public finances. What's done is done and there's little point in blaming the immigrant scapegoat or "immi-goat" because soem folks decided to retire here in LOS and now have to pay a bit more if they want their passports renewed more quickly.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your complaining about a few pounds........come on.

I'll give you a snip-it of what the government have taken from me so far.

So far they have cut my Local overseas allowance (loa) which adds up to more than 3000 pound a year. (We get extra money to make up the difference of living in a more expensive country than the UK.)

They have changed my pension; i now have to wait 11 years to start collecting it, before i would of got it on leaving after 22 years service. Yes, you heard right, 11 years the government are pocketing my money.

I've had my pay frozen for 4 years. Well not just me, nearly everyone in the armed forces.

There is more but i won't bore you.

Thank you UK government for the big kick in the balls as a thank you for putting my life on the line.

• Like 2

Hand-Out Britain rears its ugly head again.

Like how oftain do you renew your pasport?

Price per year = next to sweet FA

I renew mine every year - 48 pages is nothing if you travel to countries that need one page visas. £137 plus a trip to the UK because I can't wait 2 weeks to get a new passport = £1000+ pa.

So......you fly to a page hungry country once a week?

Have you ever thought about getting two passports? Many people in O&G have two.

Yes .... but I'm not sure how I'd deal with the Thai visa when I return to Bangkok. If I used my second passport without the Thai visa I'd end up with a tourist visa on return, then if I left Thailand on passport 1 I could have an overstay in passport 2?

I'm in a similar situation. My travelling companion (an American) never tires of winding me up every other year when I have to fork out to get a new passport when he simply staples extra pages to his US passport. bah.gif

I suppose I can't complain really, I haven't paid a penny to the British government for the last 10 years and don't intend to in the near future.

• Like 1

So far they have cut my Local overseas allowance (loa) which adds up to more than 3000 pound a year. (We get extra money to make up the difference of living in a more expensive country than the UK.)

They have changed my pension; i now have to wait 11 years to start collecting it, before i would of got it on leaving after 22 years service. Yes, you heard right, 11 years the government are pocketing my money.

I've had my pay frozen for 4 years. Well not just me, nearly everyone in the armed forces.

Thank you UK government for the big kick in the balls as a thank you for putting my life on the line.

You must have took the Queen,s shilling in 2005 or after?. If you were serving before and in AFPS 75 you would be entitled to an immediate pension after 22 years service on leaving. When the new service pension scheme came in people could voluntary change schemes. The advice was " don,t" !

You must have took the Queen,s shilling in 2005 or after?. If you were serving before and in AFPS 75 you would be entitled to an immediate pension after 22 years service on leaving. When the new service pension scheme came in people could voluntary change schemes. The advice was " don,t" !

I never signed over. That deal was offered and i was told the government will not offer anything better than you had. But this government has changed are pensions and are not giving us the choice to stay on AFPS 75. I took her shilling 2002.

Forgot to add - they have not finalised the deal yet, but the details that are being sent out are as i have said. People will not get there pensions untill there 55.

Edited by dean999

I never signed over. That deal was offered and i was told the government will not offer anything better than you had. But this government has changed are pensions and are not giving us the choice to stay on AFPS 75. I took her shilling 2002.

Forgot to add - they have not finalised the deal yet, but the details that are being sent out are as i have said. People will not get there pensions untill there 55.

From the information I was sent by the MoD in May that isn't quite correct, but in many ways its considerably worse. Although the Immediate Pension point (IP) changes to age 55 under AFPS 05, rather than after 22 years as under AFPS 75, you will get Early Departure Payments (EDP) under AFPS 05 after 18 years - the EDP is half the preserved pension, so basically you get less but you can get it earlier.

The biggest difference with the new proposals is the change to the Armed Forces Normal Pension Age (NPA) from 55 to 60, which will mean that under the new scheme (post 2015?) you will not be entitled to a pension until you are 60 even though (regardless of rank) for the vast majority of the military the Normal Retirement Age (NRA) will remain at 55. That may sound no big deal to those who are not pensionable until they are 65, 66, or 67, ("why should they get a pension so young, etc") but the difference is that in other jobs you can usually stay until you are pensionable - for the military that simply isn't an option, and finding a new job at 55 is far from an easy option. Previously it wasn't so important as the pension made up for a drop in salary, but under the new scheme there will be no pension for 5 years and no safety net.

The net result will inevitably be that many officers (and LSL Other Ranks) who would have stayed until 55 will instead choose to leave much earlier, probably around 40 to 42, when they still have the option of starting a new career and this will inevitably include many of the best mid-to-senior range of officers (Lt Colonels, Colonels and Brigadiers) and LE/QM commissioned WOs, largely leaving the "second eleven" who would have a problem finding a job elsewhere at any age, and the "back-stabbers" who are determined to get to the top at any cost.

To make it worse, unless you were 45 or over on 1 April this year (within 10 years of the current Normal Pension Age of 55) there is NO "Transitional Protection" and no "offer to transfer" from AFPS 05.

It is little surprise that morale in the military is at an all time low matched only by the worst manning, recruiting and retention levels for well over a century.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E7341DBA-2513-4384-AFAD-80B295FE0B9F/0/AFPC_IntConsultation2012.pdf

• Like 2

Stay tuned next week for "All those bloody foreigners coming to leech of the system" and "I decided to move to a country where they don't index my pension, but even though it was my choice to do so, I'm going to have a whinge anyway"

Cue - east enders music.

next time you and the rest think that being overcharged or double priced,or as i see it ripped off is ok,eg 10bht extra for that bottle of water,200bht to enter a park[thais 100bht] or hospital charges dont let me hear you whinging just grin and bare it.

how much do you pay for your philosan?

Cue - east enders music.

next time you and the rest think that being overcharged or double priced,or as i see it ripped off is ok,eg 10bht extra for that bottle of water,200bht to enter a park[thais 100bht] or hospital charges dont let me hear you whinging just grin and bare it.

If you care to translate your last post into English, Meathead, I'd be happy to answer it for you.

Cue - east enders music.

If you care to translate your last post into English, Meathead, I'd be happy to answer it for you.

rattled your cage have i,you certainly need your weekly dose of philosan.

Cue - east enders music.

rattled your cage have i,you certainly need your weekly dose of philosan.

Don't flatter yourself. Your arguments have all the force of being flogged by wet lettuce.

I am not quite sure what all the whinging Pom's are on about, the cost of a British PP ia not even in the top 10 of the most expensive passports in the world, be thankful your not Turkish..those PP cost around $600 a pop.

Of course there is a very simple solution for all the outraged British expats...stay in the UK, you dont need a PP...problem solved..thumbsup.gif

As other posters have pointed out, over the 10 years the cost of PP is next to nothing

Edited by Soutpeel

I am not quite sure what all the whinging Pom's are on about, the cost of a British PP ia not even in the top 10 of the most expensive passports in the world, be thankful your not Turkish..those PP cost around $600 a pop.

Of course there is a very simple solution for all the outraged British expats...stay in the UK, you dont need a PP...problem solved..thumbsup.gif

As other posters have pointed out, over the 10 years the cost of PP is next to nothing

I was always fairly pleased not to have been born Turkish but now I'm delighted!laugh.pnglaugh.png

I don't think my fellow countrymen are arguing over the actual cost of a British Passport, which is, as you correctly say, is not up there with the most expensive passports in the world, they stating that because the application has to go to Hong Kong for forwarding to the UK there is a substantial surcharge. All passports are still printed in, and posted from the UK.

The Passport Agency claims that one of the extra costs is the process of actually handing over the passport to the recipient, which of course doesn't happen.

The Passport Agency plans to introduce an online system for overseas applications at some stage, it will be interesting to see if they then charge a standard rate.

samran why are you so bitter towards me?its meatboy not meathead.have you had a problem with the welsh,or is it about the time we beat you at the dummy throwing championships.i think you need to double the dose of philosan,it claims it makes you realize the joy of having freindswai.gif

You are right, the 'meathead' tag was rather undergraduate of me - so apologies.

No problem with the Welsh. Rather like you in the Rugby. I work in coal as well. How is that for similarities?

But please, the incessant whining.....it's go to stop.

From the information I was sent by the MoD in May that isn't quite correct, but in many ways its considerably worse. Although the Immediate Pension point (IP) changes to age 55 under AFPS 05, rather than after 22 years as under AFPS 75, you will get Early Departure Payments (EDP) under AFPS 05 after 18 years - the EDP is half the preserved pension, so basically you get less but you can get it earlier.

The biggest difference with the new proposals is the change to the Armed Forces Normal Pension Age (NPA) from 55 to 60, which will mean that under the new scheme (post 2015?) you will not be entitled to a pension until you are 60 even though (regardless of rank) for the vast majority of the military the Normal Retirement Age (NRA) will remain at 55. That may sound no big deal to those who are not pensionable until they are 65, 66, or 67, ("why should they get a pension so young, etc") but the difference is that in other jobs you can usually stay until you are pensionable - for the military that simply isn't an option, and finding a new job at 55 is far from an easy option. Previously it wasn't so important as the pension made up for a drop in salary, but under the new scheme there will be no pension for 5 years and no safety net.

The net result will inevitably be that many officers (and LSL Other Ranks) who would have stayed until 55 will instead choose to leave much earlier, probably around 40 to 42, when they still have the option of starting a new career and this will inevitably include many of the best mid-to-senior range of officers (Lt Colonels, Colonels and Brigadiers) and LE/QM commissioned WOs, largely leaving the "second eleven" who would have a problem finding a job elsewhere at any age, and the "back-stabbers" who are determined to get to the top at any cost.

To make it worse, unless you were 45 or over on 1 April this year (within 10 years of the current Normal Pension Age of 55) there is NO "Transitional Protection" and no "offer to transfer" from AFPS 05.

It is little surprise that morale in the military is at an all time low matched only by the worst manning, recruiting and retention levels for well over a century.

http://www.mod.uk/NR...ltation2012.pdf

Thank you for the explanation. I got someone to explain it all to me and it looks like i was miss informed. Normally we get some high ranking officer to brief everyone on the changes but nothing so far. The info that was given to us via email is very long and confussing.

A big thank you to LeCharivari. Once again Thaivisa has come through for me. clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

samran why are you so bitter towards me?its meatboy not meathead.have you had a problem with the welsh,or is it about the time we beat you at the dummy throwing championships.i think you need to double the dose of philosan,it claims it makes you realize the joy of having freindswai.gif

Just ask "how many medals?" at the Olympics.

The costs of processing out of country documents are more expensive than processing them in country. Those costs are passed on in part to the client by way of a higher user fee.

By happenchance, are you paying taxes to the UK government? Most out of country requests come from passport holders that do not pay taxes. Thoses taxes help subsidize the UK government. Passport requests that are made in the UK are more likely to come from by UK taxpayers. These are the people that are providing the money to support the passport office and the embassies overseas. UK nationals residing in Thailand are usually not paying the taxes that would help pay for a UK embassy, whereas UK nationals residing in the UK are. If anything, UK residents should be demanding that non taxpayers pay higher user fees.

Hahah the tax payers give more to the passport office then the guy living over seas always using his passport? What school do you teach at so i can avoid the misfortune.

I've always been a Kiwi man, myself, though now I shine my shoes less often than I ought.

Back on topic, it;s not really the cost that bothers me, its the inconvenience. If the passports are to be processed in the UK, why do they go to HK? Why can't we submit the forms and collect them at the embassy?

SC

• Like 2

I've always been a Kiwi man, myself, though now I shine my shoes less often than I ought.

Back on topic, it;s not really the cost that bothers me, its the inconvenience. If the passports are to be processed in the UK, why do they go to HK? Why can't we submit the forms and collect them at the embassy?

SC

I suspect the reason is that processing in HK is cheaper. How you shine your shoes is definitely off topic!

SC

I suspect the reason is that processing in HK is cheaper. How you shine your shoes is definitely off topic!

But allegedly the passports get sent to the UK for processing.

I was trying to close out the Kiwi digression, and avoid any antipodean excursions

Personally, I think as trusted citizens we should produce our own passports, and send a copy to the national government for inforrmation

SC

• Like 1

Cue - east enders music.

+ 1 - Too true (the irony of these complaints coming from people that have emigrated to Thailand seems to escape them !).

Cue - Corrie theme tune plus a side order of Twinings Earl Grey + a cheese sarnie made with Cropwell Bishop Stilton.

You really are a brain less twazak. If you name one expat living in Thailand on Thai state benefits then I will apologise. We as in most expats are either working or claiming Uk (or whatever country we are from) pension. Not leaching from thr Thai system. Not having housing paid for. Not having benefit payments. Not having free education and medical. Can you see the difference :huh:

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Like 1