My 90 Days Up On The 21St, Planes Leaves The24Th

There is no leeway in your situation. As LiteBeer mentioned, expect to pay 1500 baht. Also allow yourself an extra 30-minutes at the airport to take care of the overstay fine. Might take only 5 or 10-minutes but if there are other people in line before you or the person your needing to pay is elsewhere (on break or busy), it could take longer.

Only a 1 day overstay is waived at the airport.

You can go to an immigraiton office and ask for 7 days extra to leave the country, will cost 1,900 baht and a pass photo.

And to clear up any confusion, this doesn't mean they waive 1-day if you are more than 1 day over. In other words if you are 2-days over you pay a fine for 2-days and there is no waiving of the first day. It is as you say ""Only a 1 day overstay is waived at the airport" ... ie. it only applies if you are within 1 day overstay.

I mention this because I have heard many people say they don't count the first day at the airport when calculating the overstay.

dependant on your location it may be worth just walking over a land border, turn around and come straight back in and get 15 days, then you got no problem at all and nothing to pay.

Edited by CharlieH

The fine is bt1500, and for that you get a nice red overstay stamp in your passport. The reason for the one day grace at the airports only is lots of people forget that the next day starts at midnight, and a 1:20am flight out is really the next day. Squeezing in as much time staying in Thailand as they can sometimes gets the count wrong on the number of days the visa was good for...lolol.

My experience with overstay was taking an overnight bus for a crossing into Laos. No grace day crossing overland, and then had to wait 45 minutes for the only overstay officer to get back from breakfast at the ChiangKong crossing. Almost missed my boat.

The fine is bt1500, and for that you get a nice red overstay stamp in your passport.

No Red Overstay stamp in your passport. Just a small stamp basically indicating the amount you paid for staying over the dated exit time and the time you leave or correct the problem such as getting an extension. I have gotten numerous of these stamps in my passports and would have to put on my glasses to see what exactly it says because the print is both small and in Thai but surely not red and not made to be some kind of flag for anyone. They actually have at least two different stamps too as the one at the airport is different than the one at immigration but both are just some Thai words with spaces to fill in the # of days over and the amount paid ... I think the one at immigration is used for a few purposed because a number of blanks they simply cross out when just paying an overstay.

Last time I was I was in a situation like the OP, I paid the overstay at the airport and the women asked me why I didn't go to immigration like last time, I said it would have cost more plus a couple hours of time ... she laughed and said that many people tell her the same thing.

I have no doubt they could hassle you for too many overstays or for just over staying but have never heard of it happening when somebody offers to pay the fine while leaving or fixing the overstay. I've actually never heard of anyone in trouble for overstaying unless they committed some other crime but would surely would not advice staying on overstay as means of remaining in the country for long periods ... though I know numerous people who do or have (some for a couple years) and simply pay the 20,000 baht (max fine) when they leave and they return without any hassle weeks or a month later. But when it comes down to those times where it is just a few days, IMO it just isn't worth the hassle unless you live right next to an immigration office to get an extension.

Edited by Nisa