Foul Language And Criticizing Mods By Pm.......

theblether

I have a complaint.......I'm a member ( so to speak ) of several pm threads where there is regular use of foul and abusive language and discussion of moderation issues.

My complaint is that the pm system seems to be very slow and messages tend to appear and disappear at times, and I have to reload the page to get real time updates, which I sometimes forget to do, which then means that I miss a lot of highly critical, foul and abusive posts.

I'm not happy about that........any chance of an upgrade of the PM system George? I don't like the idea of missing out on things smile.png

• Like 1

I don't understand what the problem is.When I receive a PM, it appears on my screen if I'm logged on.If I go to my PM's,I can also check if there are any new ones from the left window.

Is this a problem only pertaining to Scottish members? Perhaps I am missing the whole gist of it wink.png , must be the accent.

• Like 1

I don't understand what the problem is.When I receive a PM, it appears on my screen if I'm logged on.If I go to my PM's,I can also check if there are any new ones from the left window.

Is this a problem only pertaining to Scottish members? Perhaps I am missing the whole gist of it wink.png , must be the accent.

I also don't understand the problem. I get a popup that a PM arrived, an e-mail and a flag at the top right of the screen indicating a PM waiting. Clicking on the My Conversation icon and get near immediate response as I do when clicking on the specific PM. Never have to 'refresh' a PM page nor do any disappear. Perhaps a cleanup of your cache is in order as it appears to be at your end or the ISP routing/cache end.

There are times when there could be 4 or 5 people actively participating in a conversation, that's when the problems really start.

When you post a reply it fals into sequence with the previous answer......when you reload the page you may find that your answer has fallen out of sequence as there have been several replies while you were typing.

What can then happen is that whole blocks of replies fall into place but some messages can be missed.

These days when I reply I now return to the ' My Conversations ' tab rather than reload as that is the only way I can rely on the sequencing falling into place, even then messages can be missed.

So what I'm saying is that the pm platform has a problem with real time sequencing.

Probably the issue is that PMs weren't originally intended to be used this way, as a kind of private group mini-forum. Not that there's anything wrong with it, seems you're breaking new ground with the forum software though.

Simple solution! A special blether subforum here on Thaivisa, only accessable using the special blether-password. That way our Scottish friend can keep all his dirty small secrets from the rest of us mortals. sick.gif And keep his faithfull followers in linethumbsup.gif

As previously mentioned, PM function was not designed for what you are using it for.

We had a chat room, with very little use , since retired. But again that would not have served your purpose if you want to keep your chats private.

As previously mentioned, PM function was not designed for what you are using it for.

We had a chat room, with very little use , since retired. But again that would not have served your purpose if you want to keep your chats private.

I would like to know why they need to be kept private ?

I also thought mod issues were not to be discussed on TV and is not the PM system part of TV, hence owned by TV, thus incorporated in TV, thus not allowed no matter what.

Just sayin.

It seems rules can be broken via PM....boy could I show you some broken rules, and minds, or a mind anyway.

yes, I call for clarification on this discussion that is not allowed but seems to be going viral by the nature of the claim to 'several PM threads'....

I searched for a thread on PM's but could not find.

Yes...one man's idea of offensive would not worry another.

What you refer to Twodogs way exceeds those limits however. I thought that was dealt with though....mind you all things are subject to interpretation.

Still surprised me that decision did I must say.

Apologies however...we are straying off topic. Sorry....thought we were in PM for a moment then.

Well bizarrely, a lot of the time the pm function is useful so that members can get advice on what is appropriate and inappropriate to put on the forums, so in a way it can be used as a self moderating tool. There have been occasions in the recent past too when members have tipped each other off to cool their jets on subjects, so to that extent ( and many others ) the pm system is a valued part of Thaivisa.

As Rooo pointed out, it may well be that it wasn't designed as a group conversation function so therefore it struggles to keep up when there are a few members taking part in real time conversations, maybe that's the part that should be looked at. I do think that the pm function is underused and undervalued by many people, they don't know how much useful information can flow in the background.

ps Rooo, I did note the Scottish accent bit, you wouldn't believe some of the Scottish parochial conversations we have via pm, the non Scots on the pm threads just kind of glaze over and move on biggrin.png

Hey Rooo, as an aside, most chat rooms have a create private room function for private conversations, where you can invite members in only.

Used to use one when i managed a game-site, and that was years ago, so most likely more advanced now.

Havent used in years, because im now a social hermit :D

Hey Rooo, as an aside, most chat rooms have a create private room function for private conversations, where you can invite members in only.

Used to use one when i managed a game-site, and that was years ago, so most likely more advanced now.

Havent used in years, because im now a social hermit biggrin.png

Indeed......if you review your recent pm messages you may find an inducement to help alleviate said hermitology............

tablet.gif?w=300&h=225

m_serves-3-4-traditional-haggis2.jpg

Now I know your not easily corrupted however I may even be prepared to throw in........

Irn_Bru_500ml_FS.jpg

Aha......what do you need to do to earn such delicacies???.......the answer awaits you on your Freddie Flintstone designed pm that's waiting for you. biggrin.png

Well bizarrely, a lot of the time the pm function is useful so that members can get advice on what is appropriate and inappropriate to put on the forums, so in a way it can be used as a self moderating tool. There have been occasions in the recent past too when members have tipped each other off to cool their jets on subjects, so to that extent ( and many others ) the pm system is a valued part of Thaivisa.

As Rooo pointed out, it may well be that it wasn't designed as a group conversation function so therefore it struggles to keep up when there are a few members taking part in real time conversations, maybe that's the part that should be looked at. I do think that the pm function is underused and undervalued by many people, they don't know how much useful information can flow in the background.

ps Rooo, I did note the Scottish accent bit, you wouldn't believe some of the Scottish parochial conversations we have via pm, the non Scots on the pm threads just kind of glaze over and move on biggrin.png

Ah d'ae ken how embdy could complain; its a' in Roman script an' awhing. If they cannae be bothert tae use thur online translation tools, that's their droochit dug.

RIBB

Sorry, gents. I'd popped away for a moment. I think the PM system is just fine. One trouble is that sometimes people add a comment, rather than replying to a specific post (and quoting it). The PMs are in strict order of posting, so if you don't quote the post you're replying to, you'll lose the thread.

I have the same problem on the rugby league thread, where I try to limit the number of posts by keeping each post open as long as possible, so several posts can get entered while I am still working on mine. Of course, I am fortunate that there are scant few other posters interested in that thread, and fewer still that post on it...

SC