The End Of An Era

tinfoilhat

You take a thread like this one and it serves to reinforce the stereotype of the old sex pat tourist. And everyone laughs and has a good time mocking the silly old man in the Lone Star Saloon. Sure it is sad and unfeeling and discriminating but that is what passes for a good time in some quarters.

Well i thought it was quite entertaining, and fairly well captured my own feelings of disorientation when Sukhumvit Square disappeared.

I walked up the road and down the road "I'm sure it was there last time I was here.... has somebody moved it?"; I retraced my steps... Out the door, across the street, turn left, pace pace pace pace - nothing! Just confused bewilderment.

SC

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A brilliant study with all the variables and demographics, progress, human nature, irony and time warps. Imagine if all immigrants here were of the taking and not giving variety, we could hold this country in the past, or we can get our heads outta our asses and help in the future and changes that our first world experiences have ingrained in us. We can think long term and invest ourselves in the country and raise a family here and cause growth and not stagnation via selfish vices.

Too bad these losers didn't focus on one good woman and respect her and love her and her way of life , they would not be lonely outcasts with a meaningless pathetic existence that only perpetuates negative dark human fodder.

I see so many good farangs here now, that are working or using their retirement to help people and the land and wildlife issues. Nurturers who seek ripe new lands, not escaping a world they can't exploit. These idiot men never grew up from selfish children. I love this country, but for the right reasons,and to see the status quo of things that are scum magnets disappearing from the map is refreshing and gives hope.

Wait... you work for Not The Nation too... right??? I can say your view of Thailand is VERY different to mine, as are the reasons for mans existence. I live to succeed in any way I deem success, and I serve nobody but myself and those worthy of being served. Are you happy with your consciousness which seems to suggest you accept that it is your destiny to "belong" to "one" woman? Just curious.

• Like 1

A brilliant study with all the variables and demographics, progress, human nature, irony and time warps. Imagine if all immigrants here were of the taking and not giving variety, we could hold this country in the past, or we can get our heads outta our asses and help in the future and changes that our first world experiences have ingrained in us. We can think long term and invest ourselves in the country and raise a family here and cause growth and not stagnation via selfish vices.

Too bad these losers didn't focus on one good woman and respect her and love her and her way of life , they would not be lonely outcasts with a meaningless pathetic existence that only perpetuates negative dark human fodder.

I see so many good farangs here now, that are working or using their retirement to help people and the land and wildlife issues. Nurturers who seek ripe new lands, not escaping a world they can't exploit. These idiot men never grew up from selfish children. I love this country, but for the right reasons,and to see the status quo of things that are scum magnets disappearing from the map is refreshing and gives hope.

Wait... you work for Not The Nation too... right??? I can say your view of Thailand is VERY different to mine, as are the reasons for mans existence. I live to succeed in any way I deem success, and I serve nobody but myself and those worthy of being served. Are you happy with your consciousness which seems to suggest you accept that it is your destiny to "belong" to "one" woman? Just curious.

Greer said, " Good grief... sorry tinfoilhat...it appears that some of the members are too thick to understand that its a humourous article... never mind mate - some of us got it - and its a fun read!" So if the guy above works for Notthenation he didn't get it either right? Isn't Brian blathering about monogamy and those kinds of things?

• Like 1

hmmm, I stay on soi 9-11a when i visit and i never even knew about this place...

I remember going to the Dubliner with a friend I had made with the internet 6 years ago, when I was 21 years old. I remember the food was great. I also went to Larrys Dive a few years ago for a speed dating event through Thailandfriends.com, that was really fun and the bar was a really fun place, I have ended up quite good friends with one of the bar waitresses at the time. I had no idea Washington Square existed. Don't know if the confused Males will find solace in Cowboy or Nana, it is rather expensive these days to drink in these places, and sometimes more "business" than "fun", it really is hard to smile and joke unless you know the staff and they are willing to forget money for a few minutes with you.

Such a shame, sometimes it is really good to meet guys that are part of the paint work, you see a different side of Bangkok. It seems the more successful Bangkok becomes, the more serious Thais get about making money.. I bet you would not have seen the square knocked down during the Asian Financial Crisis?

My first area I lived in Wash Sq. in 1988 , and alot of guys were over 60 back then ! I was a mere 40 yr. old newbie , even tho there were past visits. What a area , all kinds of characters. I redid the menu at what became Bourbon St. , The Texan , originally a Patpong Bar favored by ex-Gi's and CIA sorts!

Funny but I introduced many new guys to that area from '88 til '93 when I returned to Phuket in mid '88 only to return in October to live in Wash.Sq. again @ Bourbon St.

All the remarks about the ladies of that area , seemed just like most bars you go out to in the world , you try to pic up bartenders and waitresses except the other countries instead of handing over some baht for services rendered , you need to buy dinner ,go to a show and the latest definition of rape in Western cities : SEX w/o Cocaine ! But whatta I know I hit 65 the Official Senior Citizen mark ! Yes , Medicare age ....but there are some advantageous things in this new state of age ??? Well ,the gals in their 40's and 50's are getting cuter !

• Like 1

This is an attempt at satire, right?

First world, my bottom- divorce rates 50%, corrupt to the core, exploiting everyone and everything.

Where can I buy rose coloured glasses like yours, LOL.

I think you all need a lesson on the meaning of satire. This is a parody of the types you find shuffling round Suk and all over the rest of the country trying to scratch out a pitiful existence on 10k a month blaming the west for their failures in life.

What will replace the Square? It was talked about before as being bought by the Central Group.

I'm starting to see Central as bargoers enemy #1. The managed to colonize a prime stretch of beach side street with bars in Pattaya. Thanks to that there's now a weekly pilgrimage of BKK dwellers between the Centrals, rendering Klang useless. Should have built that thing somewhere in Laem Chabang.

I think you all need a lesson on the meaning of satire. This is a parody of the types you find shuffling round Suk and all over the rest of the country trying to scratch out a pitiful existence on 10k a month blaming the west for their failures in life.

No one missed the satire. You added,"types you find shuffling round Suk and all over the rest of the country trying to scratch out a pitiful existence on 10k a month blaming the west for their failures in life." Now that is not satire that is you stating your dislike of old folks.smile.png

No one missed the satire. You added,"types you find shuffling round Suk and all over the rest of the country trying to scratch out a pitiful existence on 10k a month blaming the west for their failures in life." Now that is not satire that is you stating your dislike of old folks.smile.png

I was referring to the types the OP was referring to in his parody of the people who frequented Washington Square, not my own opinions of bitter old losers who are scraping a crap existence together and blaming anyone and everyone else for their own mistakes. You know the types, the ones forced to live in a brain numbing village in the middle of nowhere where they can't communicate with anyone as they dont have the mental capacity to learn the local language.

End of an Era indeed. I don't even know the place. Came here first time c. 1994. I must say all the old places are rather used up and without merit. The girls you met then and the girls you meet now, no comparison. Glad I got at least a taste of what it was like at it's height. Missed the best of it, but the one's I did have, just wonderful. What can I say, for a sex starved expat from the UK, just wonderful. Thai girls I love you.

I was referring to the types the OP was referring to in his parody of the people who frequented Washington Square, not my own opinions of bitter old losers who are scraping a crap existence together and blaming anyone and everyone else for their own mistakes. You know the types, the ones forced to live in a brain numbing village in the middle of nowhere where they can't communicate with anyone as they dont have the mental capacity to learn the local language.

You really need to add that to the brigade thread.smile.png

I just noticed on another forum that one of the old characters from the Square, Mekhong Kurt, died in September. R.I.P. Guess his poor health towards the end explains why he didn't update his blog for a while. The posts there certainly have a 'last days' feel about them.

http://mekhongkurt.com/

End of an era indeed,

P.S. Have just discovered that Thai Visa has a separate thread about this.

http://www.thaivisa....kurt-t-francis/

Edited by citizen33

Does anyone believe the crap written by this dude. I have spent many an hour in Washington Square and have never seen any of the hundreds old expats he speaks of. Of couse I am an old expat and all the times I visited WS I never saw more than 5 or 6 old expats at a time including myself. But I guess it makes for good explortive reading. Anyway that is my 2 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like how much money is brought into this country by ex-pats. I'm sorry, but I think the Thai's severely underestimate the money brought in here by Farangs. You employ a Phillipino, most of his or her money goes home. You employ a Farang, all his money is going to be spent here. OK, you can take the cheap option, but I think you're going to regret it, as a country. Farangs bring savings with them. As a Farang you're lucky to break even. I suppose what I'm saying is that you need to look at the broader aspects. If you really want to force Farangs out fine. But you will take a very heavy financial hit. We can spend our money at home, no problem. Just learn where your real interests are? At the moment Thailand is seen as as an attractive destination, but that might not last. It only takes one or two bad reports for a country to become a no, no. You have Russians, you have Chinese, you have Indians, and you have me.

Like how much money is brought into this country by ex-pats. I'm sorry, but I think the Thai's severely underestimate the money brought in here by Farangs. You employ a Phillipino, most of his or her money goes home. You employ a Farang, all his money is going to be spent here. OK, you can take the cheap option, but I think you're going to regret it, as a country. Farangs bring savings with them. As a Farang you're lucky to break even. I suppose what I'm saying is that you need to look at the broader aspects. If you really want to force Farangs out fine. But you will take a very heavy financial hit. We can spend our money at home, no problem. Just learn where your real interests are? At the moment Thailand is seen as as an attractive destination, but that might not last. It only takes one or two bad reports for a country to become a no, no. You have Russians, you have Chinese, you have Indians, and you have me.

Are you from Cougaria or Cougaristan?

While I chuckled at the original post, I have down right guffawed at some of the indignancy shown by some replies... As the OP rightly says, you would have to go some way to rile yourself up by reading the NTN story. Unless, of course, it hits a little too close for comfort....

Just waiting for Godwins Law to be invoked.....

and Ford and Honda

• 3 weeks later...

Out with old in with the crud. Out with the old expats in with the old expats. Old expats never die they just come back for another beer, if not the same place in another place about the same. Life in thailand is a bubble anyway, it busts often. another takes its place. Figure this out all of you expert jockeys.

Does anyone believe the crap written by this dude. I have spent many an hour in Washington Square and have never seen any of the hundreds old expats he speaks of. Of couse I am an old expat and all the times I visited WS I never saw more than 5 or 6 old expats at a time including myself. But I guess it makes for good explortive reading. Anyway that is my 2 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

months after the original post and countless reeplies and still people cant recognize the satire. sigh.

btw: <deleted> is explortive writing?

months after the original post and countless reeplies and still people cant recognize the satire. sigh.

btw: <deleted> is explortive writing?

Must be that British humor - don't always get it. Sort of like watching Thai comedy - all I can think is <deleted> is so funny.