Just Went To Big C To Stock Up Incase The Tropical Storm Is Bad This Weekend....

ThailandNeil

No always have lots in the house, easy to live for at least 4+ weeks without going to the shop, but then that is how I was brought up, shopping was a 1x per month thing as a kid, guess 60+ years on I will never change

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much. Gaemi's windspeeds expected to drop below 39 mph by the time it hits Vietnam so no worse than a normal thunderstorm. I have been walking the streets of Hong Kong even with a typhoon 8 signal hoisted and it's no big deal. Might even go for a ride on the bike if it's not too wet :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much. Gaemi's windspeeds expected to drop below 39 mph by the time it hits Vietnam so no worse than a normal thunderstorm. I have been walking the streets of Hong Kong even with a typhoon 8 signal hoisted and it's no big deal. Might even go for a ride on the bike if it's not too wet smile.png

CNN reported this morning that wind speeds were low but that its carrying a lot of rain.

No always have lots in the house, easy to live for at least 4+ weeks without going to the shop, but then that is how I was brought up, shopping was a 1x per month thing as a kid, guess 60+ years on I will never change

sounds great if everything comes from a tin

Tins ? No, only items in tins are Button mushrooms, have 6, sell by date Nov 2013........ and 14 tins of Tuna fish left sell by date June 2015..

Rice, Fish Food and Dog food always buy via wholesale large sacks... Have 2 Freezers always looking for space in them. [ can't find here yet, used to have 2 shop display freezers with 6 folding lids on them.] Pepsi Max 5 packs delivered every month, Drinking Water delivered every week so always have enough for at least 4 weeks

Fresh Fruit and Veg = local market, or the old Lady that comes with a hand cart to the Village every 2 days from the farm up the road. Tray of grade Extra large eggs @ 90 baht from farm [not even worth driving to 2min outside Village]

So if Supermarkets closed for 5 weeks again this weekend, no problem..

Edited by ignis

Since i bought a big freezer and regularly stock up at the makro and foodland i have enough food for a couple of weeks. Saves me from going to shop too much.

And then if the bad weather causes your electric (and the electric to your freezer) to go out???

Never ahd it happen in my 7 years here. Even during the floods and i had 20-25 cm water in the house the electric was still working.

Sure there are some smaller outages for half an hour now and again.

Since i bought a big freezer and regularly stock up at the makro and foodland i have enough food for a couple of weeks. Saves me from going to shop too much.

And then if the bad weather causes your electric (and the electric to your freezer) to go out???

Thanks for reminding me need to buy another can of petrol........... that said 6 weeks of floods the electric stayed on, thankfully, even so lost 2 big Koi last year.

Tins ? No, only items in tins are Button mushrooms, have 6, sell by date Nov 2013........ and 14 tins of Tuna fish left sell by date June 2015..

Rice, Fish Food and Dog food always buy via wholesale large sacks... Have 2 Freezers always looking for space in them. [ can't find here yet, used to have 2 shop display freezers with 6 folding lids on them.] Pepsi Max 5 packs delivered every month, Drinking Water delivered every week so always have enough for at least 4 weeks

Fresh Fruit and Veg = local market, or the old Lady that comes with a hand cart to the Village every 2 days from the farm up the road. Tray of grade Extra large eggs @ 90 baht from farm [not even worth driving to 2min outside Village]

So if Supermarkets closed for 5 weeks again this weekend, no problem..

Don't mind me asking, but with 2 display freezers plus fish pond pump plus various other electrical items, what's your average monthly electric bill?

My home in Sukhumvit fortunately didn't flood last year, or any time in the years I've lived here...

But I've had the electric go out for a day or so, one time, and the five or six hours another time, and any number of one or two hour outages associated with various storms.

The longer ones involved, as best as I recollect, a regional transformer that either blew out or was blown out at the time of the Red riots, and another time when a car supposedly took out a power pole in the area.

Only the full day outage caused me to have to dump various items I had in my regular sized combo refrigerator-freezer.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Don't mind me asking, but with 2 display freezers plus fish pond pump plus various other electrical items, what's your average monthly electric bill?

2 display freezers ?? I said can't find here yet, used to have 2 shop display freezers with 6 folding lids.............. I have 1x large upright and 1x medium chest Freezer

average monthly electric bill worked out over a year, would be 4,680 baht per month....... NEVER use Air Con

2 display freezers ?? I said can't find here yet, used to have 2 shop display freezers with 6 folding lids.............. I have 1x large upright and 1x medium chest Freezer

average monthly electric bill worked out over a year, would be 4,680 baht per month....... NEVER use Air Con

Cor blimey. I use air cons everyday, on average must be about 16 hours running in total (3 aircons) and my average monthly bill is less than 3,000 baht. Freezers sure consume a lot of electricity.

Cor blimey. I use air cons everyday, on average must be about 16 hours running in total (3 aircons) and my average monthly bill is less than 3,000 baht. Freezers sure consume a lot of electricity.

I found that out, freezer does cost a fair bit to keep running but is a luxury that i wont do without saves me time shopping and i have many things i normally would not have.

No don't think it is anything to do with the Freezers, more to do with pumps and filters......... have 7 running 24/7.... next project build myself another holding tank 6m x 2 m so will need more pumps and filter

No don't think it is anything to do with the Freezers, more to do with pumps and filters......... have 7 running 24/7.... next project build myself another holding tank 6m x 2 m so will need more pumps and filter

Pumps and filters - expensive to buy and expensive to run. Have just one for my fish pond in Isaan and that alone costs me about 300-400 bht a month.

today and yesterday are the sunniest days Bkk has seen in a month

I was thinking the same thing as I was out early this morning and sweating in the hot morning sun under a crystal blue sky...

Kind of hard to remember the last time I saw a morning like that around these parts. smile.png

overcast today, but the deluge is conspicuously absent

Its funny but when I lived in the UK, I would come home from work (in those days it was 2 months onboard ship and 1 month break) and hit sainsburys or asda and generally do almost a whole month shopping except for fresh stuff. When I lived in banglamung I kinda carried that on, but since I moved to bang Phli I have been more of a once a week type. Maybe its due to my diet change where I eat a loty more fresh fruit/vegetables as the years caught up on me. I was away working in Brazil last year when the real floods were hitting western bangkok, and constantly calling the wife to ask if it was getting bad around our place, they only reply really was that she couldnt buy anything becaause the big shops were empty, probably as much a distribution problem as a hoarding problem.