Thai Postal Service, Sigh...

I had assumed that my post wouldn't be interfered with as a first collective sending from Europe succeeded.

Since then a new credit card, which I need for my internet banking as well as other important documents have disappeared en route. How do you guys manage this? My son suggests using Fedex, the post office suggests sending it by registered post to a post office box (meaning that I would then have to wait for about 2 hours in the post office until I could go collect).

Fedex is pretty rapid and reliable, right? Expensive? Any other suggestions?

Shouldnt have a problem with Registered mail as each step is recorded.

Dont know why you would have to wait 2hrs, if you have a PO Box they give you the key and you can collect anytime you want during opening hours of the Post Office.

Dont know why you would have to wait 2hrs, if you have a PO Box they give you the key and you can collect anytime you want during opening hours of the Post Office.

Thanks. We just see a piece of paper in the box saying that we have mail, we then have to go and wait our turn. This morning and yesterday, 20 people waiting, one person at the counter.

I may try registered mail as you suggest.

Where do you live? I've lived in Bangkok for 2.5 years and and no post to/from abroad has ever gone missing. And that includes credit cards and other important documents. All send normal mail, and mostly arrive quite quickly 3-6 days from UK. Have you reported the lost items? What response did you get?

Thanks. We just see a piece of paper in the box saying that we have mail, we then have to go and wait our turn. This morning and yesterday, 20 people waiting, one person at the counter.

I may try registered mail as you suggest.

I guess typical Thailand in that not everywhere is the same, in my town you open your box and your mail is inside, unless it cant fit (big box) then you have to go to the desk.I would still recommend the Registered mail though, never had an issue in 5 years in either direction. The only point I would make, is make sure they send it "AIRMAIL" and put the airmail sticker on it, they forgot that one time and the mail went surface, I thought it was lost etc and turned up 3 months later. Just something to watch for.

Edited by CharlieH

if you don't need to keep the cr in your hand. have it sent to your son,

son calls you up,giveing you the number,exp date and code on back of card

done,works like a charm

I have done the above for a while but I also confirm other respondents replies that it is best to register any mail that is important.

I live in a rural village and any mail not registered is more than likely not delivered or takes a month or more.

But never had a problem with registered mail delivered to the house.

if you don't need to keep the cr in your hand. have it sent to your son,

son calls you up,giveing you the number,exp date and code on back of card

done,works like a charm

I put the card into a card reader, type in the number that appears on the bank website for me , type in my password, then send the resulting number back to the bank. I can then do internet banking. Very secure but not any good if I don't have the card in my fingers.

Fedex I think

Edited by cooked

I NEVER use FedEx, DHL or UPS. their in-house customs agents are corrupt.

I always use the post office, and with dozens of shipments from the States, have never lost anything. That said, I never create temptation. I have this theory, that while registered mail and insured mail are more carefully handled, it also marks the contents as something valuable. Thus I NEVER use it. I also never let the contents be obvious, as in a credit card sent from a credit card company. I have such things sent to a friend, who then disguises the items and remails to me in a plain envelope or box. If it is merchandise, I always instruct my friend to use a used box and hand write the shipping label.

So far, I've been successful in both no losses and no import duty. Good luck to you.

Edit: I also live in a very rural village. Regular first class mail from the States routinely takes 8-12 days, delivered to my door. Priority Mail routinely takes 7-10 days. No losses.

Another thing I have done is I have made myself very well known to the postal people. When I first came to this village, I went to the post office in the Amphur with my wife (she thought I was crazy) to introduce myself, say hello and give them my address in the village written in English and Thai. I also made a effort to personally meet the woman in our village who delivers our mail, and tell her hello every time I see her. Good politics is a good idea.

Edited by TongueThaied
  • Like 1

Several years ago I was having a debit card from my USA bank sent to me by my mate in Arizona (my address of record is in Arizona). FedEx refused to accept it because of company regulations against sending such. Had it sent by US post using their registered express service, no problem.

I get about five large padded envelopes each month in the Samui PO and haven't had a problem until recently. Now, about one out of five envelopes disappear. I buy things through Ebay and the seller has a tracking number that indicates a delivery to the Samui PO, but nobody signs for it. I get refunded and the seller collects on the insurance, but it is still ridiculous that the PO is getting away with it. After eight years I know most of the guys in the PO but they just say things like, " A rich farang like you can just order it again."

After a punitive expedition on Saturday (don't worry, we just made it clear that we would be taking thing further), surprise: important documents arrived, dated end of August, beginning of September arrived today. . So registered post may be an option after all. Looks nlike they did a search at the head post office. ?