Thammasat Rector Worries Of Violence

Lite Beer

COMMEMORATING OCT 6, 1976

Thammasat rector worries of violence

Khanittha Thepphajorn

The Nation on Sunday

30191838-01_big.jpg

Members of the June 24 for Democracy Group place paper birds on a board as they make a wreath to commemorate the 36th anniversary of October 6, 1976. On the board and on the paper birds

BANGKOK: -- Somkit fears the tendency of people to not respect others' freedom of expression will worsen divide

Thammasat University rector Somkit Lertpaithoon yesterday expressed concern that the tendency of people to not respect others' rights and freedom of expression could lead to political violence. However, he said civic movements have come of age in Thai democracy 36 years since the October 6, 1976 massacre.

Somkit was speaking at an event at the university to commemorate the massacre. He said Thais have learned more about democracy but he disagreed with the red shirts' protest against lecturers of the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) for their opposition to the government's rice-pledging scheme as it disrespected the lecturers' right to have different opinions.

He said the incidents of October 14, 1973 and October 6, 1976 had pushed Thai society towards big change. Besides that, the people who had a prominent role in such movements and their generation were politically active at present. As a result, the anti-dictatorship mindset has been cultivated deeply among Thais.

Although there were times when people may have supported a military coup, there was general agreement that democracy must be upheld. However, it must be admitted that political parties and politicians are behind civic movements nowadays, he said.

He added that although people had learned more about democracy, and more people had joined political movements, differences in political views, disrespect of the laws or abuse of the laws could result in worsening the divide. People have to learn more to respect the rights of others as well as protest within limits, he said.

"I believe that in the end, Thai society will find a solution. We need compromises, reconciliation, amnesty and forgiveness, but at the moment we don't know for whom and how. I believe that we will find a solution that can lead to national development soon," Somkit said.

Answering a reporter's question, Somkit said he did not think that severe political division among the people as happened three years ago would re-occur as the government had learned its lessons. The government was unlikely to move forward with what the yellow shirts have been opposing - a reconciliation bill that is aimed at helping former premier Thaksin Shinawatra and a charter amendment that is aimed at benefiting politicians. If the government pushes these two issues, he believed it would lack the red shirts' support as it is not in their interest.

The 36th anniversary commemoration event at Thammasat University was attended by many people, especially the relatives of those who died in the incidents in 1973 and 1976. They presented alms to 19 monks and lay wreaths at the October 6, 1976 memorial. Representatives from many groups gave speeches. Most of them urged all people to be tolerant towards different opinions and said they did not want to see more violence.

In his speech, Thammasat University historian Somsak Jeamteerasakul called for the release of people being detained for violations of Article 112 of the Penal Code - the lese majese law - as they are all political detainees.

The deputy dean of Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Science, Pitch Pongsawat, said he believed the political structure that led to the violence 36 years ago had not been fixed. They included the attitudes towards different opinions and violence, the "permission to use violence" and the belief that a military coup can end rifts in society.

"From October 6, 1976, although there were calls for finding the truth, they were not for reconciliation. There was no 'single truth' that dwelled on preventing the same conflict. In my opinion, reconciliation must be based on the principle that everyone must undergo the justice procedure, all evidence must be revealed and everyone must face legal cases fairly, rather than saying all parties are responsible for the mistakes," he said.

Thammasat University student Panithan Prueksakasemsuk, the son of Somyos - leader of the June 24 Group who is being detained for the charge on Article 112 - said the Administrative Court and the Constitution Court at the moment could not really protect the people's rights. He called for full protection. And in the future, if there is any incident like October 6, 1976, the law must stop any use of state power that could hurt the people. Otherwise, the penalties for such a conduct must be severe.

Patchanee Khamnak from Turn Left, a Marxist group, called for the establishment of political parties that belong to the people. Capitalists, not the people, currently own political parties and they lean on the economic system, bringing more disparity in society, she said.

The Pheu Thai Party's policies such as the Bt300 minimum daily wage, Bt15,000 minimum salary for graduates and the Bt30 universal healthcare scheme were just launched to half-heartedly solve the problems, she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-07

"The deputy dean of Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Science, Pitch Pongsawat, said he believed the political structure that led to the violence 36 years ago had not been fixed. They included the attitudes towards different opinions and violence, the "permission to use violence" and the belief that a military coup can end rifts in society."

I disagree with Pitch Ponsawat. If people have learned something in the past decade is that military coups don't solve problems. And that mob violence, "people power", doesn't solve problems either.

We will have street protests as in the past, and as in all other major democracies, it's an healthy way for people to express their disagreement with government policies. But I believe the excess of the past, like occupying the government house and closing an international airpot with the tacit agreement of some of the political elites and the interference of the army and other third parties in government business are over.

Thailand has finally realized that democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others that have been tried before. (Churchill)

Edited by JurgenG

The government was unlikely to move forward with what the yellow shirts have been opposing - a reconciliation bill that is aimed at helping former premier Thaksin Shinawatra and a charter amendment that is aimed at benefiting politicians. If the government pushes these two issues, he believed it would lack the red shirts' support as it is not in their interest.

It's in their interest, if they get paid enough, and the man from afar has proven he'll go to any lengths to get what he wants.

"The deputy dean of Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Science, Pitch Pongsawat, said he believed the political structure that led to the violence 36 years ago had not been fixed. They included the attitudes towards different opinions and violence, the "permission to use violence" and the belief that a military coup can end rifts in society."

I disagree with Pitch Ponsawat. If people have learned something in the past decade is that military coups don't solve problems. And that mob violence, "people power", doesn't solve problems either.

We will have street protests as in the past, and as in all other major democracies, it's an healthy way for people to express their disagreement with government policies. But I believe the excess of the past, like occupying the government house and closing an international airpot with the tacit agreement of some of the political elites and the interference of the army and other third parties in government business are over.

Thailand has finally realized that democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others that have been tried before. (Churchill)

Are you saying that illegal possession of down town Bangkok by armed protesters shooting grenades at public gathering places invading hospitals Talking peace in bad faith and trying to burn Bangkok down are OK.

Or did you just conveniently forget about that?

• Like 2

Indeed, those army fellows just don't get democracy.

No they understand it. It's just that they can not collect billions and control the power if there is democracy. They always need to create the illusion that the country is under threat and in imminent danger. And when there's none, they can always fall back on the need-to-protect-the-highest-institution speech

Edited by Time Traveller

No they understand it. It's just that they can not collect billions and control the power if there is democracy. They always need to create the illusion that the country is under threat and in imminent danger. And when there's none, they can always fall back on the need-to-protect-the-highest-institution speech

A speciality of the reds.

....certainly not the Thaksin version and nor does anybody else with a little understanding.

My point was that you can't really bemoan peoples ability to respect other opinions when the country has resorted to using an organization that respects no ones opinions to intervene in the d democratic process.

Its a bit of a con to bemoan the democratic process in Thailand without considering the role that the army has played for the last 70 odd years.

But you have noticed that most of the major democracies fail just now...no matter if USA or Europe. Most, if not all of the politicians are bought. Whatever you vote for, you get the same.

But you have noticed that most of the major democracies fail just now...no matter if USA or Europe. Most, if not all of the politicians are bought. Whatever you vote for, you get the same.

Agree with you. For that I have a two point answers.

First, we agree that democracy is not perfect, but so far it is better that all that all the other systems that have been tried before. That's what Chruchill says, he is joking but there is a deep meaning in his joke.

<p>And the reason why it is a better system is not because it eliminate the abuse of power from the politicians of all sides but it limits the excess. Every time one side goes too far, the election, like a pendulum, gives the power to the other side.

Edited by JurgenG

....certainly not the Thaksin version and nor does anybody else with a little understanding.

My point was that you can't really bemoan peoples ability to respect other opinions when the country has resorted to using an organization that respects no ones opinions to intervene in the d democratic process.

Its a bit of a con to bemoan the democratic process in Thailand without considering the role that the army has played for the last 70 odd years.

A lame attempt to whitewash Thaksin's antics that just doesn't 'er....wash.

A speciality of the reds.

Huh? Throwing back the comment (actually rather a pertinent one) to achieve a meaningless effect is a nursery tactic of a few of the usual suspects.Slightly surprised to see you playing that silly game.Odd.

A lame attempt to whitewash Thaksin's antics that just doesn't 'er....wash.

I don't see how you can see this as any opinion I made about the reds or not. The article was referring to a lack of respect for democratic discussion in general.

The article was referring to both sides, and my point was that you can't really make critical comment about political disagreements leading to confrontations, when the country basically has a coup every 5 years. It is obvious that the army sets the political agenda for the country far more often than elections.

Modern day problems with Thai politics can be traced back to repeated intervention by the army into Thai politics. People today as far as I can see talk and discuss politics more than they ever have, which is a good thing. They may not yet have found a way to have these discussions in a calm manner, but that comes with realising that it is better to agree to disagree, than give the army any excuse to put their nose into politics.

The army has single handedly formed the political landscape of modern Thailand more than any individual political party.

Let's face it: almost no one in Thailand wants or even understands the concept of "democracy".

Correct. In a real democracy all those crooked politicians Thailand has would not survive. The court would be able to deal with them.

You are both wrong in a real democracy the person with the most votes from the people with out bribery would be in office.

They might be removed if corruption is discovered and proved but they would still be the Government Until such a event occurs. That might not be the case depending on the Law's of the country.

Even in the States it is not the majority of voters that elect the president as witness Bush in the States. It is the electroll (spelling) college there.

Thai's are not the only ones who don't know what Democracy is. Most posters are as knowledgeable of democracy as the Thai's are. They think it is what they come from.

Not being a expert the only country I know of that has a leader who is the leader because he received the majority of the popular vote is France.

I am not talking about the countries where people are bribed or intimidated or have no opposition.

Edited by hellodolly

Are you saying that illegal possession of down town Bangkok by armed protesters shooting grenades at public gathering places invading hospitals Talking peace in bad faith and trying to burn Bangkok down are OK.

It's funny how the Red Supporters never answer that question, Dolly. I don't know how many times I've brought up more or less the same question and it is always conveniently overlooked by the Thaksin apologists. Nobody would be against protesters. But terrorists funded by a madman in Dubai is another story!

It's funny how the Red Supporters never answer that question, Dolly. I don't know how many times I've brought up more or less the same question and it is always conveniently overlooked by the Thaksin apologists. Nobody would be against protesters. But terrorists funded by a madman in Dubai is another story!

They are like some of the horses in horse races that have blinders so they can only see straight ahead of them.

Not accusing any one but Thaksin does pay well for certain jobs especially those that protect him and try to make him look good.