Prachuap Khiri Khan

woralak

Hi i'm living in Chiang Rai and would like to take a 4 month break starting in Jan next year, i have breathing difficulties and the smog that overwhelms this erea at this time of year is almost unbearable.

it was suggested that Prachuap Khiri Khan might be the place i'm looking for, does anyone have or know someone that has, a small bungalow/aparment for rent for this period, i don't like beaches bars or anything that goes along with,it, and it must be quiet, i have been informed that there are places there that may suit my needs, i know it's a lot to ask for but, if you don't ask you never get, maybe i'm being vaive, if so excuse my ignorance, also wi-fi/tv would be good and any help on the best way to get there would be a plus.

Any feedback would be apprciated, pm would be better if it's a genuine maybe.

Many thanks

Woralak

Sorry to hear the zoo closed! laugh.png

There are lots of neat places south of there also. Bang Saphan is pretty neat, small town. Ban Kruit is really small, but great beach. If you have a car, it's a great area to explore. Quite a bit down the coast is Ao Khanom. Neat little place. But not sure if they have a zoo or not. tongue.png

• Like 1

Yeah, those places are 'really neat'...

Of the ones Craig 'neatly' mentioned, I think the 'neatest' is Ban Krut. Depending on the season (Jan might be a bit harder), you can probably make a deal with any of the resorts along the main beach road for a monthly rate for a bungalow. Try Sala Thai Resort (Google it), for one of the more established places, well kept, and very reasonable. Many restaurants along that stretch of beach, no real bars in the area. You can rent a motorbike at a few places along that road, too, and the road goes quite far in both directions, with nice places to see along the way to Thap Sakae (N), and toward, even past, Bang Saphan (S). Sala Thai has a few pedal bikes to loan for free to their guests, but they're sometimes in rough condition. With a motorbike, you can ride dangerously close to Burma (Myanmar), too.

Getting there is largely a function of how you calculate the value of your time vs. money. The train is the most obvious, but as mentioned, tedious. Or, fly to Don Muang, taxi to Bang Sue and catch the train to Ban Krut from Bang Sue station, or take an extra day and stop in Hua Hin for the night, catching the morning train to Ban Krut (or Prachuap, or Thap Sakae, etc).

Any way you get there, it's still pretty 'neat'.

Cove on the headlands, E. of Bang Saphan

BanKrut-06-2012009Large.jpg

A little more about Ban Krut:

Conspicuously located on a headland at the north of the beach is a 15-metre tall golden Buddha and associated wat. It's beautiful, and the hill-top perch offers stunning views of the coastline and all the way inland to the Burmese border. An interesting factoid about it's construction: its was built as a big, fat bribe! A US/Thai consortium tried for eight years to convince the locals to let them build two coal-fired electrical power stations, and the Buddha was thrown in as compensation for wrecking the coastline and filling the air with smoke. But the locals didn't bite -- they got Greenpeace involved, there was a big protest, and the power companies withdrew from the effort in 2002. Locals generally refuse to even visit the big Buddha, but they won't hold it against you if you do.

-from Travelfish http://www.travelfis...an/ban_krut/458

IMG_0361Large.jpg

Score 1 for the good guys...no power plant was built.

By Prachuap Khiri Khan I take you mean the province and not the town, which is rather small and rather boring. If you are not a beach person, there isn't that much choice in PKK province. North of PKK town you'll hit the touristy places of Hua Hin and Cha Am, south of it the province is pretty narrow, about 30km on average from coast to Burmese border. It's only beach and some islands. You'll struggle to find any night entertainment, but there are quite a few quiet beach bars in most towns, where you can enjoy an evening drink and excellent seafood.

Ban Krut is becoming quite popular with BKK Thais as a quick getaway, and offers a large selection of accommodation. You can get some information on Bang Saphan/Ban Krut area and some pictures here: http://www.bangsaphanguide.com

The best way to get to PKK town and further south from Bangkok is IMO by bus from the South Bus station (Sai Tai). PKK town is about 4 hours, and Bang Saphan under 6. Buses go every half hour and are very comfortable. Trains are slow and very unreliable on the southern route.

If you are coming to PKK to give your lungs a rest, I can definitely recommend that. I swear that the air contains more oxygen in the South PKK than anywhere else I have been on the planet, including Southern Africa.biggrin.png

<sinp>

PKK...small town-so small it only has one yellow page---they used to have a zoo but the duck died..

no worries about nitelife as there is none---big trip to tesco is about it----the highway is a danger zone of trucks and minivans---would not suggest taking anyhting but a car on the raceway....very quiet and small place if u can handle staying in alot or going to beaches nearby--def small local place with a few attractions....so if thats what u want go for it--maybe see you there if i get the job

One Kan feed the Monkeys BTW near the mountain/beach side front on your left, well that is what I would call their Zoo, still there. Never seen that Duck that you mentioned nor ate it. licklips.gif

Tesco Mini-Market (2nd or 3rd road) is inside this small town, so no need to go of to the main road for large shopping items.

What, are you for real sick.gif in your statement below:-

def small local place with a few attractions

There are many more attractions than you think Sticky Rice Balls

large.jpg

And many more photos Kan be found below

http://www.pbase.com/win13/cha_am

Win, been there and photoed it as well. w00t.gif